All member reviews for Ramona and Beezus

Beloved book girl comes to life in sweet, kid-friendly tale.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byTuesdayBear July 26, 2010
I loved these books as a child, and frankly wasn't expecting much from this movie (the book's always better than the movie, right?). I was very pleasantly surprised. This movie basically took the great moments from all of the Ramona books and combined them. Joey King captured the essence of Ramona quite well. Selena Gomez was just a bit too glamorous as Beezus, but she had good moments. John Corbett (Chris from Northern Exposure) was absolutely perfect as Mr. Quimby. He was a very good choice. This movie was entertaining for both myself and my daughter. She appreciated all of the Ramona-esque antics, and I appreciated the relationships among the adults in the film. I'm usually a stickler about not letting my daughter watch teen-romance type shows, but I felt that any kissing in this movie was wholly appropriate (related to a newly engaged couple, and a quick peck among teens). The self-proclaimed "love life" of Beezus is a very minor sub-plot, and is innocent in the way that teen crushes should be. The final scene shows Beezus setting some very good boundaries, which I think makes her character a good role model for young girls. All in all, this was a very enjoyable movie. We'll be purchasing this one, and we don't buy a lot of movies.
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2010

Great for ages 7 and up

My whole family enjoyed this kid friendly movie!
Kid, 8 years old August 20, 2010
this movie is funny
Adult Written byMamamoonbeam July 27, 2010

A good first theater experience for kindergarteners!

Our 5 year old daughter is very sensitive to scary themes and intense drama (losing a parent, getting lost, etc.) and this was a great first theater experience for her. Fairly entertaining for adults too! A few specific comments on things to be aware of: - There are a few uses of "dumb" and "stupid" but overall we were okay with the language - There are two romances going on in the movie, one between her Aunt Beatrice and Howie's Uncle Hobart and one between Beezus and Henry. Both are handled in very innocent and age-appropriate ways. - The girls are home alone when they find that their beloved cat has died. They don't actually show a close-up of the dead cat but they do imply that the cat has been buried and they show a homemade grave market and lots of tears. Again, we thought this was an age-appropriate handling of what happens when a pet dies but it might be something to discuss with your child before the movie, especially if you have pets or if you have recently lost a pet. - There are several scenes where Ramona is imagining and gets into "larger than life" situations. Our daughter had to be reminded that this was her imagination and not things that were actually happening. - The theme of the movie is actually a very nice one - that it is okay to be different - and this is articulated by a teenage Beezus. We liked that Beezus was pretty but not over the top glamorous. Beezus was the character that our daughter was most in awe of and we appreciated that she was overall a very positive kid who finds her sister annoying but also clearly loves her. - True to the books, which were written in the 70s and 80s, there is very little cultural diversity in the film. I think a few kids in the school scenes are ethnicities other than white but none of the main characters are. Also, we have read the first two Ramona books out loud to our daughter and she enjoyed finding parts of the movie that were the same as the book and parts that were different. For example, in the movie she is a third grader but some of her experiences actually happened in the book written when she was in kindergarten.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bychickabiddy July 29, 2010

Finally, a movie my 7-year-old likes!

Very refreshing to see a movie featuring a girl acting her age! Ramona is a spunky, imaginative child that my daughter could relate to (not being the princessy/hannah montana type). While it touched on some issues that can cause anxiety for children (divorce, losing your house/job in a tough economy), it did it in a way that was reassuring in the end. Also, it seems that every movie has a mandatory scary/emotionally traumatic-devastating scene in it, and this one didn't (at least not that my daughter reacted to, and she's very sensitive about those things). The story was fun, the cast terrific, and I really enjoyed it too. I also particularly loved the scenes where Ramona's imagination takes over and they bring it to life - just the sort of thing a girl of that age would do! Fantastic!
Adult Written bybianca7788 May 16, 2011

great movie

Very cute movie for kids and adults! This movie show's how close sisters are no matter what comes along.I put 8+ because 8+ is the audience that would enjoy and understand it most!
Teen, 14 years old Written byPuddingprince101 January 23, 2011

Great for All Ages

Great movie, though little kids don't understand the movie very well. My family's foster kids saw it last week, and they couldn't stop asking questions, like "why is his car painted funny colors?", and so on. (If you haven't seen the movie, the question will make sense if you do.) Thanks for reading, Puddingprince101
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAppropriate December 11, 2010

Saga Sour

The Father's role is a wonderful model. The female roles are embarassing. No depth. Long drawn out negative saga. "Bullying because I think differently" "My sister is perfect" "ugh messages." Disappointing and un-engaging. There's more to life. Good acting.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bycjkoontz July 30, 2010

Good Family entertainment for 7+

This was a pretty wholesome movie. I liked how the characters were all dressed in a fashion forward way, but not "sexy." The movie did a great job of blending the book material together. Based on other reviews, I was able to talk to my kids ahead of time and explain that there were some "imagination" scenes in the movie that weren't real and also explain that Pickypicky the cat dies. Really appreciated that feedback and my girls loved it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybambi13-14 July 14, 2010

Amazing

amazing. Good all around and impressed with Gomez's work.
Adult Written byautymnd.c. September 27, 2014

more of a commentary than a review

It's not appropriate, by definition, for third parties to determine or score what is appropriate. So I disagree with this site's scoring altogether. Unlike the staff reviewer I could pick up several themes or messages that flout the overt sensibilities of a mainstream critic or censor that may flag a rating. insinuations and what one can sneak into a G-rated movie (Disney Channel airing) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493949/board/nest/234914864
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2014

Family Fun for Everyone

This is probably one of the best movies that I have watched that everyone in my family was excited about. The movie is humorous, but shows the life of a spunky, funny little girl when her dad looses his job and possibly their house. At one point in the movie there was kissing, a cat dying, and where Ramona tries to run away. There is a minimal amount of kissing/romantic things, and Ramona's scheme to run away doesn't work. That teaches small children that your family loves you, and running away is bad, and probably won't work. This is a perfectly rounded movie that is great for everyone in the family.
Parent Written bysarahebrown August 20, 2011

A Sweet Movie!

This is a wonderful movie. The balance of pretend and what happens in the movie is perfect. I love the sister relationship! I think alot of kids will related with this movie. It's not the typical movie where you know what will happen next. Even my son sat still for it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLittle movie freak May 26, 2011

One of the best family films I've seen in a long time! Funny, Sweet, and Josh Duhamel is entertaining! Perfect for families!

Brothers,sisters,and siblings,yes they can be annoying,but sometimes we could show some respect for our siblings.In Ramona and Beezus, Ramona is trying to get along with her sister Beezus,who is trying to have a good life in her begging year in high school.Newcomer Joey King is sweet and funny as Ramona,who is sort of a trouble maker.Selena Gomez plays a nice performance as Beezus,(Ramona's sister). Josh Duhamel is terrific , and funny as the goofy Hobart.This is a film for everyone to see. It's funny, sweet,entertaining, with terrific performances from Joey King, and Josh Duhamel. I was surprisingly and completely entertained by the welcoming performances, funny and sweet moments,and the nice ending. This is a perfect film for young kids 6+. NOTE:This film involves a sad,but off-screen(you don't visually see it,but you do hear it a few times)death of a family pet,but is handled gently,and quickly. Overall: A Funny,sweet, entertaining movie with very nice performances from newcomer Joey King and Josh Duhamel. I give this film an A- to a B+.I give this an ON for young kids 6+. This is a film that is wonderfully acting and a pleasing surprise. Plus, Gennifer Goodwin is also gives a wonderfully terrific performance as Aunt Bea(Aunt Beatrice). What a great family film this is.Surprisingly well-done.Parents: Let your young kids see this great family film. I'm sure the young kids will enjoy it as much as any parent will. So See IT!
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byBayAreaMama April 17, 2011

A wholesome movie for young kids... if the story line catches their interest.

It was entertaining for my 7 year old boy and 4 year old girl. The "sexy" stuff wasn't really a problem, except that for my boy he really didn't care about the romance story line, and I am not sure my 4 year old really understood all of that part. They both loved Ramona for her imagination, and there was nothing scary here for either of them.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byhousmore November 23, 2010

Great portrait of family life - not perfect, but 'real'

Loved it - and our daughter did too, and she is very iffy about movies in general. Wish there were more like it!
Educator Written byalikowski August 14, 2010
I took my 3 year old son and 7 year old daughter to see this. We all enjoyed it. It was really over my son's head, but there was enough physical comedy to keep him interested. My daughter loved it, as well as her aunt and I did, however, the romance was too much for her. She kept hiding her eyes when the romantic/kissing scenes were on and I was glad. I am not ready for her to show an interest in that, as I am sure many mother's of seven year olds aren't. Great movie overall though, and I was sooooo happy to have something good come out that was rated G.
Kid, 11 years old May 8, 2012

Nice Film

Heartwarming film. Really sweet film just like the books
Kid, 10 years old November 7, 2011

Love it!

It's REALLY CUTE. some mean names and a couple kiises & a wedding but come on. no matter what movie no matter what movie there's gonna be some minor issues I mean come ON people I LOVE THE MOVIES & BOOKS! <3
Kid, 10 years old August 2, 2011

Great!!!

Including "Jerk" and "Stupid", but nothing big. A really good movie.