Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Rango

Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byhair mom March 6, 2011

Good if you are realistic with your child, and they know life is not all we would like it to be

I usually just read these reviews, but the way some parents are reacting to this movie made me really upset. ITS A MOVIE! It does not have an underlying agenda to ruin our kids minds - that is obviously being done by the parents who feel that it is up to Hollywood, the teachers, and anyone else but the parents to teach kids right from wrong. I thought it was a different type of animated movie (I would like to see it again - to see what other amazing artwork I may see next time), but didn't find anything disturbing. My son who is seven knows what bad words are (and that they are inappropriate), has seen bra ads on tv (more harmful than an animated headless doll torso) and knows that death is part of life (yes he has attended family funerals). He and I were entertained for the 107 minutes that the movie lasted, then he was ready for something else...He didn't seem to be ruined for seeing it, we actually talked about the quote I liked best from the movie "No man can walk out of his own story" meaning you can tell lies to try to get people to like you (like Rango did) but if you are given the opportunity to make it right and do the right thing - do it - because it was what you were meant to do... (and another thing the word that seems to be in question was "thespians" the word lesbians was never said) I really think people are really looking too hard into this... Please take it for what it is - simply a PG (not G) rated movie (last I checked PG meant Parental Guidance).
Adult Written byJonathan S. January 24, 2018

Good Family Fun

If you enjoy westerns and you want to watch a whimsical take on one, then Rango is your bet. I love the tie ins to way more adult movies, and jokes for all ages. No one ever actually dies, and if you say it’s way to scary for your kids, my 2 year old loves this movie. We watched it twice today. The movie is wonderful for a quick watch.

Parent Written byDyuti August 21, 2012

Too grown-up for under 10, but not as harmful as a lot of reviewers claim.

I just showed this (without knowing much about it) to a four year old girl, a five year old boy and a seven year old girl. The four year old left to go to her room after the creatures entered the town (the majority of the movie) because she liked the "desert" part. The seven year old came to sit by me once I realized that this is not really a kids movie and felt like I should be present while the rest of the kids watched. The five year old boy was intrigued. I found myself continually reminding the kids that it was an "Old West" movie, and that that's how it might have been during the days of cowboys. I felt like the kids were interested in the idea, but they honestly missed most of the language and themes. The big themes were easy to understand - a hawk chasing an iguana, a water shortage, good guys, bad guys, etc. But overall, the movie isn't really as much scary as it is nonsensical for young kids. They can potentially lose interest, but if their curiosity gets the better of them, they will watch it and NOT REALLY GET IT. I don't think it's any worse than showing your five year old Star Wars. A lot of it will go over their heads.

Parent of a 4, 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byibrandyc March 7, 2011

More of an adult cartoon. Not for kids.

This movie had too many situations and words that were inappropriate for young children. It has no Christian values and comments on unmentionable parts, God, sexuality and violence. Not a movie that my kids will ever watch again.

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 6 year old Written bycherrymonkey March 7, 2011

Not what we bargained for

After seeing the trailer for Rango during the previews while seeing other kids movies we had no reason to believe it would be inappropriate for our 6 year old. What could have been a good kid movie was peppered with language we do not allow our child to use. I was also disappointed in the use nooses around the necks of the mariachi owls. None of it was necessary.

Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byfloydmom March 7, 2011

not for kids under 9 and frankly pretty bad.

it was terrible.The violence is over teh top. my 10 year old leaned over to me and told me "there is no way this movie is PG mom". my 5 year old was okay, he doesn't get scared, but there were plenty of things that were inappropriate. At one point the rather scary rattle snake (it's tail is a Tommy Gun!) wraps the girl up and tells her to "sign the d**n deed or i'll send you to hell". One characters dies by drowning. my 10 year old thought it was okay but we won't be seeing this one again.

Adult Written bydanny800 April 5, 2019

Rango was not for kids

i think rango was a amazing movie but it was not for kids because rango falls in love with a naked plastic barbie doll body a armidillo gets run over by a car rango drinks alcohol out of a cactus characters smoke rango blows smoke in another characters face characters have guns a guy has a arrow stuck in his eye a snake tries to kill rango with a gun and a guy tries to drown everybody with that being said rango was not a kids movie and was for teens and adults with that being said i dont recommend it for anyone under the age of 14

Parent Written byMomtwosons October 27, 2018

Enjoyed it with my 13 & 15 yr olds

Definitely mature themes in here and good to watch- - for young teens. It was pretty funny at first, but I didn't like the headless top-naked Barbie - that didn't have to be in there like that but it's minor. When the female protagonist has 2 frozen moments of staring into space (an unexplained medical condition), Rango takes the opportunity to put his arm around her. She's surprised but slightly pleased. Next time, he kisses her! Cute on the one hand (because he's too shy to do that in normal life) but actually, it's not appropriate to take advantage of someone when they're in a "coma!" I liked the plot and character development but I didn't quite understand the armadillo part on the other side of the road. I like to understand every word in movies, and I couldn't catch all the speakers' accents but I don't think I missed much. My 13-yr old watched it about 4 years ago and was pretty confused; liked it better this time. The language/drinking/smoking/violence wasn't an issue for me or my teens. It's a pretty weird/unique movie which makes for a nice change from the typical animations.
Adult Written byPixarYesDoraNo L. March 5, 2018

This Movie Looks Like Live Action!

This movie is Great!

Parent of a 7 year old Written bySarah J. January 14, 2018

Main female character kissed and licked against her will, tied up and gagged

I watched this film with my 7 year old. He found it a bit too scary and didn’t really enjoy it but I hated it and felt very angry by the time it finished. There are 5 female characters - 1 naked headless barbie who provides companionship to the lonely hero. 2 saloon bar girls with massive cleavage on display, on screen for maybe 10 seconds in total, one of them has one line. 1 pathetic and permanently terrified girl child. 1 ‘plucky heroine’ who is involved in a lot of the action, driving a getaway coach and fighting, but at one point is threatened in a sexual way with a big creepy lick across the cheek by the scariest baddie, and then at a crucial moment of the action she is tied up and gagged by other baddies, forcing the hero to put down his gun and surrender. This exact scene plays out in so many movies I’m sick to death of seeing it in adult action films but I was really enraged to see it in a children’s film. The heroine also has absence seizures, the purpose of which for the plot seems to be so that the hero can give her a "cheeky" kiss on the cheek during one of them. Which is cool, because when she comes round she smiles a little smile to herself, which proves she secretly enjoyed being the recipient of uninvited sexual contact while she was unconscious. Rape culture - a beginners guide. If you care even slightly about how your kids see the world in terms of gender and care what they learn about the expectations the adult world has for them in terms of gender, stay away from this movie. I wasn’t too bothered by all the guns and swearing and didn’t notice the “big dumb Indian” line but that’s clearly a lazy nasty stereotype too. This film is a creepy cartoon version of a western, with all the adult western themes and cliches intact. Avoid.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byWilliam G. January 4, 2018

A good western for Adults and Kids

Johnny Depp and all supporting actors are great in this film. What really makes this movie what it is, (besides the mind blowing animation) is that it has a good script that compliments as well. It contains very hilarious dialogue and other lines that are delivered with such elegance. No blood is shown, so to me its not that violent buy yes, everyone has a gun and a lot of shooting is involved (its a movie based on the "west"). The animation is the best and imo should be how all animated movies should be, I expect nothing less. The quality and detail is jaw dropping. I just can't wait for the sequel to come out.
Adult Written byjmo97 November 28, 2016

Tries to appeal to both kids and adults... with mixed results

I think that Rango could have been better if it didn't feel that it was trying to appeal to both kids and adults. It has talking animals, which could appeal to kids, and some good gags. But, there are quite a few scenes with menace involving mostly guns and predatory animals (and some entertaining action scenes), a bleeped use of "son of a b----" (a hawk or falcon shrieks at the last word in the phrase), and some potentially frightening images, including a character with an arrow in his eye. There are also a few moments of innuendo. The mix with those types of elements gave a contrast that feels incredibly jarring. This feels like it was trying to be edgy, and it feels like too much for a PG rating. 5.4/10

Parent Written byReggi911 July 6, 2016

GREAT AND BRILLIANT!!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!

I LOVED IT! It may be violent but it's incredible! I first watched it about 2 years after it came out and I expected what I saw, IT WAS AMAZING! A great film of action, comedy and many more genres! I recommend you watch it!-CL5D

Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18+ year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Rango Is Too Violent And Has Persuasive Language with Guns

This Movie Is To Violent! We had a family movie night on netflix with My 10 year old and my other 10 year old and my husband. we watched this on netflix about 3 days ago which was are family movie night and this movie is PG! and it has lots of language! I thought since it was animated and it was a family movie this would not happen! this should have been PG-13! it's too violent! uses of H**L, D*M and other humor! this is off for my kids! my kids don't use any language but its teaching them it! and there is guns!

Parent of a 7 year old Written by[email protected] June 20, 2013

Not for kids, too mature, crude, sexual, and violent

I find this movie very offensive because of it's PG rating and Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. The Oscars sometimes don't know a great film from a terrible one, and this is a terrible one. I mean this film is filled with violence, rude, crude, and sexual humor, and smoking and drinking. And this is supposed to be a family film? Family film my feet! The MPAA does not know how to rate movies anymore. I watched this with my Mom and Dad and my mom was so offended at the over the top mature and offensive humor as well as the violence, she left the room. This is one, if not the worst, animated films I've ever seen. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS! DO NOT LET KIDS WATCH ESPECIALLY!

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 23, 2013

This movie is boring.

I didn't like this movie.It was mostly boring.There were some parts with action,so I gave it 2 stars instead of one.Other than that,Rango is a very boring movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bydjh December 21, 2012

Rango Is Little More Than A Gun Showdown

My 8 year old son found this movie funny, but I was bothered by the egregious amount of gun violence. Even the toughest of animals, a very fierce looking giant rattle snake had to be outfitted with a revolver for a tail. And at one point bullets came spewing out of the tail, machine gun style. I would not recommend this movie for any child under 10. Period. And I would discuss the use of guns as unnecessary and misguided anthropomorphism with a mature child.

Adult Written byHaywire November 22, 2012

Good for 8 and up

My Rating: PG for animated violence and language
Adult Written byRun boy run. November 2, 2012
Adult Written bySoFlaMe July 26, 2012

Worst Movie EVER

WORST movie I have ever seen. It was just torturous to sit through- I was looking at my watch 45 minutes in and it just dragged on and on, getting worse and worse. The animation is impressive, but the characters are grotesquely ugly and they're weirdly boring and flat- like the actors couldn't care less. It was incredibly violent- everyone (even the children in this movie) has a gun and there's a scene near the end with a very scary giant rattlesnake bad guy. The language is inappropriate for kids as well- I really think it should have been rated PG-13 and definitely NOT marketed as a kids' movie. I have seen reviews on other sites (Netflix) from parents who said they didn't think the language was a big deal- those are probably the parents of the kids in your neighborhood you refer to as "THOSE kids". Even if it weren't marketed as a kid-flick, I would still give it one star; it was boring, not funny, tedious, badly acted and just a hot mess from beginning to end.