Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Kid, 12 years old April 3, 2011

Okay movie, but VERY intense.

Its a pretty good movie. But remember... never judge a book by its cover. This movie is a cartoon, but is very intense. There is diseasing people, lieing, killing, murder, curse words and is very serious.
Teen, 14 years old Written byInvaderzim7 April 1, 2011

Amazing, but misunderstood.

This movie is misunderstood, i think. In my opinion, the kids movie thing was more to get the parents and siblings to come with themm, because they're the ones who would enjoy it, an this movie isn't a comedy; most movies throw some humor in, and they just took advantage of a couple of places ti add humor, but really it's not about that. I'm notorious for overthinking things, and although it's hard to be positive of the target audience, it's great for people like me. The story had good character development, though it sometimes left me wondering what was going on with certain characters while the story was shifted to other people. Many people are saying they didn't like the characters, or the main character, but i think that's ok. If every character is to like, then what's left to look for? They made most of these characters real, and honestly pretty ugly. I admit, tha mariachi (however its sprlled) band owls were pretty cute, though. :D anyways, yes there was some minor cursing and occasional sexual reference, but leave the kids with a sitter i'd say, and come alone, cause this was meant for adults, overthinkers, and no, not teens, they just might not like it, i'd definitely give this movie a great rating, and the surrealistic scenes were amazing, but it's not for the wee ones, and you can come expecting a laugh, but don't come looking for one.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bythreatlevelmidnight April 1, 2011

not good for any age

Wow, seriously bad movie. Drinking, smoking, bad language, scary characters, creepy looking "animals", death, violence and lots of adult themes. I thought maybe I had mistaken a kids movie for an adult movie but then I thought "what adult would [ay money to see a lizard cowboy?".
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byAveryandMorgansMom March 29, 2011

Inappropriately rated

I was surprised to find out this movie had the same rating (PG) as Megamind. They are in completely different leagues. I can only guess it's the difference between Disney Pixar and Nickelodeon. Also, no one seems to have mentioned that when Rango is "flirting" with the headless, naked Barbie, he asks her, "Are those real?". Inappropriate.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2011

Great Movie !

I haven't seen a movie this good in a while!
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written bystoics2 March 19, 2011

Don't take a child under 8 to see this.

Very dark tone, beware. Strong language usage as well. There is one part where the character says"Don't freak out but you just swallowed Plan B" and obvious reference to the OTC medication. D**n, Die, you're going to hell, are thrown around very loosely for a PG movie. In addition there are references to breasts, prostates, and more. It's as if this movie purposely pushed the envelope for what qualifies as PG/Kid's movie.
Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2011

Horrible commercial, Great movie

When I saw the commericial for this movie I thought it looked lame, but then my friends mom took us to see it and it was great!! There was some violence, but it wasn't too bad, I don't think there even was any blood, but there might have been a little. The main reason I rated this movie 11+ is because there's a lot of language, more language than the Simpsons Movie. Overall it was a great movie and I would be willing to watch it again.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhihihihello March 19, 2011
I completely agree with carriemama34. And am proud of who every she is. Not many people have guts enough so talk about the Bible. People think just taking Gods name in vain in normal now just like splattermusic (the one above carriemama34) I have to admit I sometimes do that too. But its wrong. How many people hearing one bad word or seeing something they know they should not see, walks out of the movie theater or turns of there T.V. I know I usually dont. But I always know I should. So if you see this movie and think everyone is wrong about it then just think that. Its your life. 1 John 2:15-16 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the eyes,and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. If you have never read this verse in your life. Pick up a Bible and read it. And dont stop there keep reading. I read the whole Bible when I was 12 years old. If a runny nose 12 year old can read it you can.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byBlueJade March 8, 2011

Wild West Animated Film for Tweens and Teens

The good, the bad, and the ugly. If you like westerns, Johnny Depp's imaginative roles, great animation, riffs on acting and the philosophy of life, or just looking at amphibians, reptiles and birds in a new way, then you will probably like Rango. This is not an upbeat Pixar or Disney animated film with pratfalls, constantly goofy side-kicks, or a storyline appropriate for young kids. This film will, instead, appeal to adults who like Johnny Depp's offbeat sensibility. If your kids are not scared by Pirates of the Caribbean films, they are not going to be scared by Rango. There are scary elements -- menacing snake, flying bats, animals nearly killed by cars -- but nothing as dark as any Pirates film. But there are allusions to the third Pirates film that my son spotted. A problem with this film for tweens and teens is that they may not get all the references to westerns, including a Clint Eastwood character, or a storyline that parallels the film Chinatown (which would be a great film to watch with an older teen who's a film buff). I liked the voices, the way the storyline twists a little bit unexpectedly, and the detailed animation style. We had seen how the film was created beforehand and those videos enhanced our viewing of this film. Yeah, there's smoking and drinking a kind of alcohol in this film, but it's not glorified. In the end, the values that come out on top are: working together in a community against a common bad guy, independent girls and women, staying true to yourself as well as a higher purpose, and sticking with a problem until you solve it. Plus, the soundtrack is amusing and the owl mariachi band, echoing a Greek chorus, are fun.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byBW560 March 7, 2011

Not for kids.

I didn't think it was appropriate for kids. I wish I would have read the reviews on this website before taking my 4 and 6 year old to see it.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byDaltsmom March 6, 2011
I took my 5 year old son and he loved this movie. My husband and I thought it was great although I warm those with sensitive kids that it does get pretty intense. Our son doesn't know what curse words are (yet) so I think the bad language went over his head but I was amazed at how many times I heard the word the word h*ll. Why do they have to do that? But the language is so fast that young kids would really have to be paying close attention to even catch it. The other adult humor goes right over their head. Except for the word mammogram that caught the attention of the little girl behind me who yelled out "what's a mammogram?" If there wasn't adult humor it wouldn't be fun for the adults who have to take kids so I'm ok with that.
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2014

Terrible film.

Dissapointing movie. Should be a pg-13. My Rating: PG-13 for smoking frequent mild language and very strong cartoon slapstick violence.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBiscuitMaster December 11, 2013

Great Mature Movie

Love this movie. As long as your child (or you) is mature enough to handle some mild language (d-mn, h-ll, tramp), some violence, and smoking... they'll be OK. I'm actually watching it as I type.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy February 23, 2013

This movie is boring.

I didn't like this movie.It was mostly boring.There were some parts with action,so I gave it 2 stars instead of one.Other than that,Rango is a very boring movie.
Kid, 12 years old January 16, 2013

A Great Western

Everyone is overeacting! There is some violence, and language, but not that much. Hair mom is the only parent who is being reasonable. The Golden Cat said it should have been PG 13, but why is it not for kids? Not for kids means it should have been rated R or NC-17. This isn't a movie for the whole family, so parents should leave their 1st graders at home. And a naked barbie doesn't count as nudity! I see them all the time! Even though I live in Texas, this is the only western I've seen. I like sci fi better.
Educator and Parent Written bySoFlaMe July 26, 2012

Worst Movie EVER

WORST movie I have ever seen. It was just torturous to sit through- I was looking at my watch 45 minutes in and it just dragged on and on, getting worse and worse. The animation is impressive, but the characters are grotesquely ugly and they're weirdly boring and flat- like the actors couldn't care less. It was incredibly violent- everyone (even the children in this movie) has a gun and there's a scene near the end with a very scary giant rattlesnake bad guy. The language is inappropriate for kids as well- I really think it should have been rated PG-13 and definitely NOT marketed as a kids' movie. I have seen reviews on other sites (Netflix) from parents who said they didn't think the language was a big deal- those are probably the parents of the kids in your neighborhood you refer to as "THOSE kids". Even if it weren't marketed as a kid-flick, I would still give it one star; it was boring, not funny, tedious, badly acted and just a hot mess from beginning to end.
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2011

Profanity an issue

Well... There is a couple of uses of bad language and drinking. Not for children under 7. My 4 year old brother liked this movie but he doesn't understand the bad parts of the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byuhya March 30, 2011
great, but some mild language and violence.
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011
It was a good movie but lots of guns
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byveggiemom March 25, 2011
I had a hard time sitting through this movie with my children ages 6 and 11. Violence, scary characters, sexual (topless Barbie-"are those real?", language. There was a good message in the end but difficult to sift through all of the garbage.