All member reviews for Rango

Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bycherrymonkey March 7, 2011

Not what we bargained for

After seeing the trailer for Rango during the previews while seeing other kids movies we had no reason to believe it would be inappropriate for our 6 year old. What could have been a good kid movie was peppered with language we do not allow our child to use. I was also disappointed in the use nooses around the necks of the mariachi owls. None of it was necessary.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byfloydmom March 7, 2011

not for kids under 9 and frankly pretty bad.

it was terrible.The violence is over teh top. my 10 year old leaned over to me and told me "there is no way this movie is PG mom". my 5 year old was okay, he doesn't get scared, but there were plenty of things that were inappropriate. At one point the rather scary rattle snake (it's tail is a Tommy Gun!) wraps the girl up and tells her to "sign the d**n deed or i'll send you to hell". One characters dies by drowning. my 10 year old thought it was okay but we won't be seeing this one again.
Parent of a 3, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bysodarncute1 March 7, 2011

Your money would be better spent at a different movie.

My kids liked it, but I did not find much appeal in this one. I don't know why movies insist on putting in phrases like "Go to he**" or "Da**", but I would like to take my kids to a movie without having to tell them later that they can't say the words in the movie. I was also dissapointed in the violence. EVERY character has some sort of gun that they are more than happy to use. The rattlesnake has a machine gun and his body is wrapped in bullets. The philosophical thinking is way over kids' heads and much of the movie dragged on. Overall, I'd say it was a pretty big waste of time.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byHawkmama March 7, 2011

Not for preschoolers

I so wanted to like this movie, I'm a Johnny Depp fan, my son is into the "cowboy thing" right now so it was a nice alternative to Toy Story and Woody. From the beginning when Rango asked the barbie with no head, and no shirt, if those "are real", that didn't start it out right. The format of the movie is different as well, very Tim Burton meets Quentin Taratino, so wasn't expecting that. It started out pretty good but got dry later in the movie with lots of diaglogue. My son is 5 years old, the language is definitely not appropriate for his age...save your money.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bytannytoon22 March 7, 2011

Hate it, terrible my kids fell asleep
Adult Written byWaterNymph March 7, 2011

Language and Sexual Stuff

The only reason I gave this movie so many stars is because it's a really good movie, just not age-appropriate. They should have cut WAY back on some of the content if they wanted this to be a kid's movie. Some of the sexual stuff and the language was definitely inappropriate for children. However, some people are saying there was too much "shoot 'em up" stuff. And to that I say, what did you expect? It's a Western. That's what kids watched even back in the 50s. Same with the drinking and stuff, that's been in kid movies forever. The only example I can think of at the moment is Sleeping Beauty, the king gets drunk on wine in one scene. So the drinking and violence is nothing new. Nickelodian and Disney have always been bad about sexual stuff. There was some really inappropriate sexual stuff in Aladdin, and Nickelodian has really inappropriate content in many of its programs, such as iCarly. It's ridiculous! It should be common sense to leave that stuff out of movies that are aimed toward children!
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byzipsadie March 7, 2011

Waste of time

I was disappointed with this movie. Took my girls, ages 7 and 12 and it definitely was not appropriate for my 7 year old. Too much language, too much violence and too many sexual references. The previews were aimed towards kids, but about 10 minutes into the movie I was wondering if it was really a kid movie. Very disappointing!!!
Parent of a 8 year old Written byParents Speak March 7, 2011

Rango review for parents

It is hard to say no to kids when they see that it is a cartoon. But the content in these cartoons is getting worse. The swearing, adult content, etc. I was severely dissapointed in 'Rango'. My littlest one was scared and asked why the cartoons were aloud to swear and he couldn't. What does these new cartoons say to our kids?
Parent of a 6 year old Written byFreqMovieGoer March 7, 2011

Better for older kids, 10 +

We were very upset and disappointed with this movie. It's been marketed towards all children and it's not for all children. It's done as an "old style, shoot 'em up western" showing owls hanging, language, beating family members and others. If they are going to have a movie like that, it should be kept geared towards adults and not in animation where children will be drawn to it and have toys at popular fast food resturants.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written by1mommyof2 March 7, 2011

Dont take your kids to see it.

Disgusting movie with demonic innuendos. The rattlesnake talking about taking peoples souls to the dark pit known as hell. Definitely not a kid movie. Also a 6 point star "faucet" for the water that controlled the town and the mayor that thinks he is divine and can control everyone.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byanghallman1 March 7, 2011

This was a good movie, however, there was some language in it that is not appropriate for the younger audience. The family loved it.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byAbigail10 March 7, 2011

My husband and 11 year old son went to this for his 11th birthday and loved it. A lot of the western references went over son's head. Looking forward to seeing it on DVD and suspect our 14year old will enjoy it more than yougner one as has seen the Clint Eastwood movies it references. A lot of reviewers seem to have taken children at a far to young age to this film, it is for older children as it is a PG. It is up to parents to check out reviews before going to a film. My husband had no concerns about the film and from reading the reviews I don't think I would either as our kids are older now. Just because something is animated does not mean it is suitable for all children and all ages.
Parent of a 3 and 11 year old Written byQueen-L March 7, 2011

RANGO: not a good choice for anyone! Especially the kids!

I DID NOT like this movie! I left the cinema feeling very disappointed & embarassed that I had taken my children to see this movie! With many unexpected words, smoking, & references to drinking, RANGO proved not appropriate for kids under 13! It was also not an interesting enough storyline, which was way too long & drawn out!!
Adult Written byUS N8V NDN March 6, 2011

Stupid line in the movie, how did it get past the left wing critics? I don't get it!!!!

I LOVE IT, except for the "DUMB MUSLIM" comment!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMe and Her March 6, 2011

Not worth it

I saw it because the reviews were good but this movie was awful, it didn't even make sense. This movie was also very cussy at one time or another, there was the word "hell" and "Son of a......",the last part of that sentence was cut of in the movie. There was was a lot of gun shooting and dying.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2011

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!! Best movie ever! It was very good and it was hilarious!!! I definitely recommend seeing it! The only reason I rated it 5+ is because younger kids might not understand it.(:
Kid, 9 years old March 6, 2011

rango shouid tango

i saw this sunday to day and it was bad because it did not made good like it has animation like adult would have.plus in one part a man busts the W.T.H and Rango is shritlees in a few scenes and this is dumb plus J.D SOUNDS LIKE KERMIT THE FROG. so do not see this in theaters just rent it
Parent of a 11 year old Written byTsunami3 March 6, 2011

A cartoon that is not for kids :(

I took my 11, 13 and 15 yr old !!! I just saw that it got an 85 tomato rating and thought it was a good movie !! It started out strange and stayed that way the while movie!!!! I basically walked out at the end thinking what a strange and different movie !!! The language is definitely too much for a younger audience:(. My 15 yr old likes it but my 13 and 11 yr old did not so if that tells you something!! This movie did not make me laugh it just made uncomfortable!!!!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byamama March 6, 2011

Didn't have to take it so far!

My husband and I kept looking at each other and grimacing each time they said hell, said or did something really mean or violent, or just the look of some of the characters (ex: the bird with an arrow stuck through his eye, coming out the back of his head). My four year finally looked at us and said "I wanna go home", We should have left earlier than we did - I feel badly that I didn't research before taking him. I will look on this website b/f I ever take him to a PG movie!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 6, 2011

trying to hard to make it funny

stupid movie trying to hard to make it funny