All member reviews for Rango

Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byFreqMovieGoer March 7, 2011

Better for older kids, 10 +

We were very upset and disappointed with this movie. It's been marketed towards all children and it's not for all children. It's done as an "old style, shoot 'em up western" showing owls hanging, language, beating family members and others. If they are going to have a movie like that, it should be kept geared towards adults and not in animation where children will be drawn to it and have toys at popular fast food resturants.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymweber0221 March 6, 2011

HORRIBLE

I took my 6 yr old and 4 yr old to this movie and was ready to leave within the first 5 mins. The content was totally inappropriate for children. The problem now days is when children watch these kinds of shows it steals their innocents little at a time until you have a 6 year old acting and talking like an irresponsible adult. That is not what I want for my children and if you feel the same way do NOT take your child to this show. The story line was trying to present a positive message but it was truly presented all wrong to be marketed to our children as a fun loving story about a lizard.
Parent Written by1st228 June 28, 2011

Parental Guidance A Must!

We took our 11 year old daughter to see this movie today.. my husband and I left angry and our daughter was disappointed. The fact that it is portrayed as a child friendly movie is disgusting. Everything from asking a naked barbie "are those real?", threatening to take someone's soul straight to hell, telling people to "go to hell", mentioning mammograms, prostates, etc. We were very frustrated. :/
Parent of a 11 year old Written byGrizzlymama April 24, 2011

Thought is sucked.

While watching the movie i was in shock. It had been my choice to see this movie and i never thought it would have turned out to be my least favorite movie of the year. I took my son to watch it and was ashamed the whole time. We have had many discussions on the movie and i can not appoligize enough to him for letting him watch something so horrible. It was such a waste of my time and money as well as an embarassment to my character as a mom.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byamama March 6, 2011

Didn't have to take it so far!

My husband and I kept looking at each other and grimacing each time they said hell, said or did something really mean or violent, or just the look of some of the characters (ex: the bird with an arrow stuck through his eye, coming out the back of his head). My four year finally looked at us and said "I wanna go home", We should have left earlier than we did - I feel badly that I didn't research before taking him. I will look on this website b/f I ever take him to a PG movie!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bysecondverse27 March 6, 2011

I found myself looking over at my eight year old daughter particularly when Rango met the Armadillo looking more like road kill and saying that the scene was a bit gruesome looking. She was squinting and looking away
Adult Written bywillowtree2 March 5, 2011

Very bad spiritual message for kids

This movie is an assault on Chrisianity. It's subtle message is to introduce the concept to children that they should distrust organized religion. Here is why : Everything that has a religious or spiritual leadership symbolism turns out to be fraudulant. The mayor (the towns "spiritual leader" of sort) manipulates and is really doing harm to the townspeople by taking their water away. And the "golden charriot" (another great spiritual symbol) that the armadillo was in search of (the Clint Eastwood type of guy in the golf cart) turns out to be full of smoke and has no answers either. All the spiritual symbols in this movie are empty - they turn out to be either manipulating the people for their own purposes - or empty. We all can relate to Rango, who is searching for meaning, and vulnerable. The movie is saying to trust in just yourself to find answers, don't trust in God. In fact, the snake ends up being not so bad after all, and he takes the mayor away (to kill him) and says "in the end, people will doubt you ever even exsisted!" This movie had many not so subtle ways of planting a seed in the hearts of children that God does not really exsist, to distrust the church - and believe in yourselves only. And not to have faith, because it is just a smoke screen. This movie will do nothing to bolster faith in your children. It will make them have a feeling like they are stupid and naive to believe in God or have faith that He exsists. It is one more rather blantant attempt to de-faith our children. Don't go see it. The message is subtle, but strong.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byGnat March 5, 2011

I didn't like this film; it took a long time before the plot started to develop; really not appropriate for kids; too dark and violent; automatic weapons in a film marketed for kids? Hangman's nooses? Murders and attempted murders? Inappropriate language; smoking, etc. Lots of chase scenes, which I always find boring. Horrible for kids (mine is 8); wish that she hadn't seen it; it's not something that would be worth watching for adults either.
Adult Written byP-T March 13, 2011

Stop it!

I would have had a better time with this movie if I had not taken my grandkids. They are 6, 10, and 12. For some reason I thought this was going to be a kids show? Wrong!!! Why put strong language in such a movie? Dark images of a snake going to drag someone to hell??? It had some fun in it but I sat in a very uncomfortable situation with the little ones.
Adult Written byrexxcarz March 6, 2011

Good entertainment for young & older folks.

Goofy, well done cartoon! Not Dora the Explorer, but not nearly as ominous as the reviewer says either. Most of the jokes/references go right over a kids head (and most teens, too, I imagine). Lots of older movie salutes. Good characters and ideals.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byjenj April 4, 2011

This movie was advertised as a family movie however the rude and crude humor regarding breasts, prostate exams, homosexuality and more made me very uncomfortable watching this with my 10 year old . I felt more comfortable watching twilight with her and that was given a pg 13 rating. I feel this move was rated and advertised incorrectly and even with out the inappropriate humor, it was just a bad movie. I chose this movie over hop because some of the hop trailers for that seemed crude. I do not understand why family movie makers seem to feel crude humor is what people want in a family film.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bytannytoon22 March 7, 2011

Hate it, terrible my kids fell asleep
Parent of a 9 and 16 year old Written byTraditional Morals March 5, 2011

Beware

It is a good movie, but if you don't want your younger children asking you what a lesbian is you shouldn't take them. I am very dissapointed with Common Sense not mentioning this subject and the age rating they gave it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byjenton66 May 20, 2011

If you want your kids to watch a bad guy snake seductively licking the heroine as a promise as to what will happen to her if she doesn't tow the line then this movie is for you. I am guessing the scene is meant to mean the snake will eat the heroine, but I as an adult, I was shocked by the image and by what else it could imply.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byMegNZ April 18, 2011

I have just seen this film with my nearly 7 year old son and we loved it. The story was great, the animation beautiful, music fantastic, messages excellent and it was pretty funny too! It's not for little kids, has some scary moments/characters but great balance of action and moments of reflection. We love it and will buy it on dvd when we can.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymommakuz March 30, 2011

Best for tweens. Not enough fun content.

The lead character spends most of the movie lying to everyone he meets. Several characters die during the movie. At one point Rango appears to be about to commit suicide. At best he was playing russian roulette with traffic. The movie is a dark themed action adventure. There aren't many fun moments to lighten the mood or make this a feel good movie. For parents of tweens this movie might server as a way to bring up some tough topics: Being yourself, pretending to be someone else or lying to others to try to be liked, suicide, depression.
Written byAnonymous March 20, 2011

Something for everyone. Prudes need not apply.

This is truly a family film, in my opinion. It doesn't talk down to children. It doesn't hide from reality. It has something for everyone. Youngsters will find the characters fun and exciting, they will be fascinated by the surrealism, and they will enjoyed being scared by the actually threatening characters. They may not get some of the deeper themes or humor, but that's where older individuals can join in on the experience instead of sitting back being bored by the same old processed entertainment. I admired the incredible animation and the detail that went into giving the film a live action feel. The craftsmanship is amazing. And without spoiling anything, I appreciated the themes on an intellectual level. If I had to complain, it's that the film's story is a bit shallow. It's certainly still a cut above the rest though and tries hard to break the mold of conventions. If nothing else, you can enjoy the film on a purely visual level. This is ILM's first full animated feature, so they have a while to go before they reach Pixar levels of story telling. This movie is rated PG, which stands for Parental Guidance. If you do not look at or understand the MPAA ratings, which now have clear descriptors of content included, you fail as a parental unit. It clearly states it contains rude humor, language, action and smoking. "Common sense" doesn't seem very common around here. PG does not mean a movie is free of the things you find unacceptable. The MPAA is for guidance, and can not possibly fit into your opinion of what is acceptable to you. It only measures the estimated amount of offensiveness and appropriateness level. They did their job to let you know there was some offensive content in this film. If you think everything in this world should be sugar coated so you can turn your brain off and walk into a movie so it can babysit, you fail as a human being. If you think because something is animated, it is aimed at kids or only for kids, you fail at rational thinking and common sense. Kids aren't dumb. Give them more credit. You spew your dogma and over-protection at them and you don't let them experience life, make up their own minds, or even have fun. I talk to my kids and have an active role in their life. I can take them to a film with bad language and violence. I'm not worried about them imitating it. They are smart enough to know fantasy from reality. I instilled that in them at a young age. Am I bad parent for not over protecting them? Am I bad parent for showing them obscene content? Or are you a good parent for over protecting them; for sheltering them from the world? That's a matter of opinion.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bymrscx2 March 14, 2011

Misleading with no charm

Misleading - the words bait & switch comes to mind. yes we saw the trailers. Mutilple choices for bad language and not just a few guns but battles with "I'll kill you" stated multiple times. Perhaps standards for PG have slipped again. Truely shocked at how this movie was presented and what a it looked like within the theatre. Would have left the theatre midway if we were not their with friends. Angry and would like my money and wasted time back.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byWeeklybob March 7, 2011

NINNIES!

SOME OF THE PEOPLE I SEE ON THIS SITE ARE THE MOST OVERPROTECTIVE MOMMIES THAT MIGHT AS WELL JUST WRAP THEIR KIDS IN BUBBLE-WRAP AND STICK THEM IN A DARK CLOSET UNTIL THEY'RE 21! IF YOU SEE A BAD WORD IN THE MOVIE, THEN TELL YOUR CHILD NOT TO SAY THAT OOOORRRR..... JUST DON'T MENTION IT! SOME PERSON SAID RANGO TRIES TO COMMIT SUICIDE! AT LEAST HE DOESN'T DIE AND THE MOVIE HAS A HAPPY ENDING! SAME WITH THE SNAKE! HE DOES REALLY STRANGLE RANGO, BUT RANGO DOESN'T DIE! Even though it was the worst thing I ever watched.
Adult Written byaufblicken March 6, 2011

Not for children

I almost walked my children out of this movie. Entirely inappropriate use of the word "hell" over and over. And what's the message when you're such a sad lizard that you decide you're nobody and walk into traffic to end your life? And "look into my eyes [as I'm strangling you], I want to see you die!" Come on, that is not something kids need to hear. Whoever wrote/made a movie like this for children needs to grow up or wake up or something.