Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011
It was a good movie but lots of guns
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byveggiemom March 25, 2011
I had a hard time sitting through this movie with my children ages 6 and 11. Violence, scary characters, sexual (topless Barbie-"are those real?", language. There was a good message in the end but difficult to sift through all of the garbage.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 March 22, 2011

Wait for the DVD

I took my 7 and 9 year old kids to see this movie. They both really enjoyed it. I thought it was just ok. Yeah there is some language and some cartoon violence, but nothing to be concerned about. I would recomend waiting to rent this one if possible.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycarriemama34 March 18, 2011
i took my son to see rango, and i was surprised to hear them cuss the way they did,this was put out by nickoledon,but it's really not that big of a shock, how they let them use omg on nickoledon network,and it says in the bible we shouldn't use his name in vain,i think nickoledon needs to clean their act up.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2011

(the parents below are over-worrided momz.)

No offense, but I'm 134234235423% sure that EVERY kid can handle cussing considering parents go like " GO TO YOU ***ING BED!". (OK I'm a a parent reviewer, or a handsome movie reviewer?) Anyway, is say this movie is pretty action packed, and has obviously more than just one bullet. And the ONLY educatinal (not like i really care enough to spell that right.) thing is how it teaches how the west was back then.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byamymc4 March 13, 2011

Don't waste your time or money. Terrible movie all around

Hate it! Characters are extremely scary looking and just flat out ugly. I didn't enjoy the movie as an adult never mind the fact that it's very inappropriate for a kid under the age of 14. The language was disgusting and I'm very surprised it was given a PG rating.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written bySpeno March 12, 2011

Traditional western, animated style!

Didn't like it much at all, but then I've never really liked westerns. My 5yr old was noticeable bored, a rare occurance in any movie. Definately for older kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byWeeklybob March 7, 2011

NINNIES!

SOME OF THE PEOPLE I SEE ON THIS SITE ARE THE MOST OVERPROTECTIVE MOMMIES THAT MIGHT AS WELL JUST WRAP THEIR KIDS IN BUBBLE-WRAP AND STICK THEM IN A DARK CLOSET UNTIL THEY'RE 21! IF YOU SEE A BAD WORD IN THE MOVIE, THEN TELL YOUR CHILD NOT TO SAY THAT OOOORRRR..... JUST DON'T MENTION IT! SOME PERSON SAID RANGO TRIES TO COMMIT SUICIDE! AT LEAST HE DOESN'T DIE AND THE MOVIE HAS A HAPPY ENDING! SAME WITH THE SNAKE! HE DOES REALLY STRANGLE RANGO, BUT RANGO DOESN'T DIE! Even though it was the worst thing I ever watched.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2011

Animated doesn't necessarily mean "okay for kids"...

Breathtaking effects, tons of action, good morals, and a pinch of romance combined make Rango one fantastic movie! This movie was beautiful... one of the best animated features I've ever seen. It was truly a western, and there were a lot hysterical of references to old movies, but the tiny cliches made it more enjoyable. The jokes were pretty funny, and the language was TYPICAL for a western. Read about the plots and settings before you assume its appropriate, though! I agree with the adults on the site that Rango could have used a PG-13 rating. But people keep making this mistake- JUST BECAUSE IT IS ANIMATED doesn't mean it's okay to take your LITTLE KIDS to the movie. Animated movies are usually family films. Just keep in mind, not all of them are ok for 6-year-olds. There's a big difference between shows like Spongebob and Family Guy, and there's a big difference between titles like Toy Story and Rango.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byhair mom March 6, 2011

Good if you are realistic with your child, and they know life is not all we would like it to be

I usually just read these reviews, but the way some parents are reacting to this movie made me really upset. ITS A MOVIE! It does not have an underlying agenda to ruin our kids minds - that is obviously being done by the parents who feel that it is up to Hollywood, the teachers, and anyone else but the parents to teach kids right from wrong. I thought it was a different type of animated movie (I would like to see it again - to see what other amazing artwork I may see next time), but didn't find anything disturbing. My son who is seven knows what bad words are (and that they are inappropriate), has seen bra ads on tv (more harmful than an animated headless doll torso) and knows that death is part of life (yes he has attended family funerals). He and I were entertained for the 107 minutes that the movie lasted, then he was ready for something else...He didn't seem to be ruined for seeing it, we actually talked about the quote I liked best from the movie "No man can walk out of his own story" meaning you can tell lies to try to get people to like you (like Rango did) but if you are given the opportunity to make it right and do the right thing - do it - because it was what you were meant to do... (and another thing the word that seems to be in question was "thespians" the word lesbians was never said) I really think people are really looking too hard into this... Please take it for what it is - simply a PG (not G) rated movie (last I checked PG meant Parental Guidance).
Parent of a 9 year old Written byfutureplanit March 6, 2011

Terrible for anyone under 15

I didn't do my homework on ages for this one. My almost 9 year old daughter doesn't talk like they did in the movie. Shame on mom and me. And shame on nickelodeon for producing and promoting this movie to their younger viewers. We will now be putting parental controls on a "kid friendly" cable channel. As an educator of preschool and elementary school children, I am appalled by Nicks programs and obvious greed driven program decisions. What is wrong with our country?
Kid, 9 years old February 12, 2011

i really want to see this movie!

great animation! im going to see it!
Educator and Parent Written byReggi911 July 6, 2016

GREAT AND BRILLIANT!!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES!!!

I LOVED IT! It may be violent but it's incredible! I first watched it about 2 years after it came out and I expected what I saw, IT WAS AMAZING! A great film of action, comedy and many more genres! I recommend you watch it!-CL5D
Teen, 14 years old Written byaagaash2001 March 28, 2016

Worst. Film. Ever.

This is NOT a good film. There is too much violence and 98 percent of the jokes were unfunny. Not to mention it has the worst character ensemble, with the main protagonist being a total jerk.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydanny 7000 August 4, 2015

rango is not for little kids

i think rango is an amazing movie but its not for little kids because it has lots of adult humor like rango is in love with a naked plastic Barbie doll body and rango drinks alcohole out of a cactus and its very vilonte with guns with that being said i think rango is aimed at Teens and Adults and i don't recommend it for anyone under the age of 13
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaredW64 June 22, 2015

A very well-done, intriguing film for older audiences than it is marketed

I saw this when it came out (at the age of 11) and I can guarantee that I was not old enough. I could not fully appreciate the deeper messages and themes, found the drinking/smoking, violence, and scarce but apparent sexual innuendos to be over the top, and more than anything found it extremely creepy (I could barely sleep that night). Leading up to the film's turning point and the main character's big realization, the film gets really dark, bizarre, and even symbolic really fast. The movie is filled with an element of mystery and deep themes of political corruption and the underworld, the mob mentality, society's progression and advancement, the living of a false life, and existentialism and self-realization. This is a major part of why now, at the age of 15, I love this movie. It also seamlessly works in some hilarious comedic gags (some of which would fly over the heads of a younger audience), and epic action sequences. It also has absolutely stellar animation and some really intense and dramatic lines and scenes. It is a great mystery story and a story of finding one's true nature, all in the context of an animated western comedy about a bunch of animals (which by the way aren't all drawn to look cute like one would expect from an animated kids movie) living in a desert of Nevada. Though it is definitely for older audiences than it may appear to be.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 March 1, 2015

One of the animated genre's best, but also one of its darkest.

I feel that this is one of the best animated films ever. Great storytelling, decent animation and above-average acting and music make this a great western from the creators of Pirates of the Caribbean. However, this is perhaps one of the darkest animated films your children will want to see. With a few on-screen deaths (none up close) gun fetishism and minor cursing (hell, damn) the youngest of children shouldn't watch this. But 10 year olds will love this, and even in my teens I still find this a massively entertaining flick. Final Score: 8/10: Very Good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 6, 2014

My Review on "Rango"!

Parents need to know that even though this is an animated PG movie, its not for young audiences. The main problems are the near constant deceptions of smoking and the violence. If this movie was a live action film, it would very easily merit an R rating. The other concerns are a sexual reference at the beginning, and mild language. Damn and hell are used a couple of times. Rango says to a naked barbie, "Are those real", referring to her breasts. The violence alone is an instant PG13. Hangings, crushing, and near constant shooting and gun violence. The smoking is constant, and alcohol consumption is infrequent. The MPAA was a little more lenient considering this is an animated film, but this is a hard PG/moderate PG13. This is best left alone for mature tweens and teens. 12+. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG13 - for thematic material, constant gun violence, smoking throughout, some frightening images, brief language, and a sexual reference
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2014
One of the best animated films ever. I'm glad it won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. Johnny Depp and the other cast did well. Now how did this get PG? There are some stuff that kids shouldn't know like the word 'floozy' and 'trollop'. It even had lots of smoking and some language including action.
Kid, 10 years old April 14, 2014

My Dad likes this movie

This movie is epic! It has great animation and it's funny, though the swearing is too inappropriate for little kids. It sucks i don't have this movie on DVD!