All member reviews for Rango

Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011

It was a good movie but lots of guns
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byveggiemom March 25, 2011

I had a hard time sitting through this movie with my children ages 6 and 11. Violence, scary characters, sexual (topless Barbie-"are those real?", language. There was a good message in the end but difficult to sift through all of the garbage.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 March 22, 2011

Wait for the DVD

I took my 7 and 9 year old kids to see this movie. They both really enjoyed it. I thought it was just ok. Yeah there is some language and some cartoon violence, but nothing to be concerned about. I would recomend waiting to rent this one if possible.
Written byAnonymous March 20, 2011

Something for everyone. Prudes need not apply.

This is truly a family film, in my opinion. It doesn't talk down to children. It doesn't hide from reality. It has something for everyone. Youngsters will find the characters fun and exciting, they will be fascinated by the surrealism, and they will enjoyed being scared by the actually threatening characters. They may not get some of the deeper themes or humor, but that's where older individuals can join in on the experience instead of sitting back being bored by the same old processed entertainment. I admired the incredible animation and the detail that went into giving the film a live action feel. The craftsmanship is amazing. And without spoiling anything, I appreciated the themes on an intellectual level. If I had to complain, it's that the film's story is a bit shallow. It's certainly still a cut above the rest though and tries hard to break the mold of conventions. If nothing else, you can enjoy the film on a purely visual level. This is ILM's first full animated feature, so they have a while to go before they reach Pixar levels of story telling. This movie is rated PG, which stands for Parental Guidance. If you do not look at or understand the MPAA ratings, which now have clear descriptors of content included, you fail as a parental unit. It clearly states it contains rude humor, language, action and smoking. "Common sense" doesn't seem very common around here. PG does not mean a movie is free of the things you find unacceptable. The MPAA is for guidance, and can not possibly fit into your opinion of what is acceptable to you. It only measures the estimated amount of offensiveness and appropriateness level. They did their job to let you know there was some offensive content in this film. If you think everything in this world should be sugar coated so you can turn your brain off and walk into a movie so it can babysit, you fail as a human being. If you think because something is animated, it is aimed at kids or only for kids, you fail at rational thinking and common sense. Kids aren't dumb. Give them more credit. You spew your dogma and over-protection at them and you don't let them experience life, make up their own minds, or even have fun. I talk to my kids and have an active role in their life. I can take them to a film with bad language and violence. I'm not worried about them imitating it. They are smart enough to know fantasy from reality. I instilled that in them at a young age. Am I bad parent for not over protecting them? Am I bad parent for showing them obscene content? Or are you a good parent for over protecting them; for sheltering them from the world? That's a matter of opinion.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhihihihello March 19, 2011

I completely agree with carriemama34. And am proud of who every she is. Not many people have guts enough so talk about the Bible. People think just taking Gods name in vain in normal now just like splattermusic (the one above carriemama34) I have to admit I sometimes do that too. But its wrong. How many people hearing one bad word or seeing something they know they should not see, walks out of the movie theater or turns of there T.V. I know I usually dont. But I always know I should. So if you see this movie and think everyone is wrong about it then just think that. Its your life. 1 John 2:15-16 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the eyes,and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. If you have never read this verse in your life. Pick up a Bible and read it. And dont stop there keep reading. I read the whole Bible when I was 12 years old. If a runny nose 12 year old can read it you can.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycarriemama34 March 18, 2011

i took my son to see rango, and i was surprised to hear them cuss the way they did,this was put out by nickoledon,but it's really not that big of a shock, how they let them use omg on nickoledon network,and it says in the bible we shouldn't use his name in vain,i think nickoledon needs to clean their act up.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2011

(the parents below are over-worrided momz.)

No offense, but I'm 134234235423% sure that EVERY kid can handle cussing considering parents go like " GO TO YOU ***ING BED!". (OK I'm a a parent reviewer, or a handsome movie reviewer?) Anyway, is say this movie is pretty action packed, and has obviously more than just one bullet. And the ONLY educatinal (not like i really care enough to spell that right.) thing is how it teaches how the west was back then.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written bySpeno March 12, 2011

Traditional western, animated style!

Didn't like it much at all, but then I've never really liked westerns. My 5yr old was noticeable bored, a rare occurance in any movie. Definately for older kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byWeeklybob March 7, 2011

NINNIES!

SOME OF THE PEOPLE I SEE ON THIS SITE ARE THE MOST OVERPROTECTIVE MOMMIES THAT MIGHT AS WELL JUST WRAP THEIR KIDS IN BUBBLE-WRAP AND STICK THEM IN A DARK CLOSET UNTIL THEY'RE 21! IF YOU SEE A BAD WORD IN THE MOVIE, THEN TELL YOUR CHILD NOT TO SAY THAT OOOORRRR..... JUST DON'T MENTION IT! SOME PERSON SAID RANGO TRIES TO COMMIT SUICIDE! AT LEAST HE DOESN'T DIE AND THE MOVIE HAS A HAPPY ENDING! SAME WITH THE SNAKE! HE DOES REALLY STRANGLE RANGO, BUT RANGO DOESN'T DIE! Even though it was the worst thing I ever watched.
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2011

Animated doesn't necessarily mean "okay for kids"...

Breathtaking effects, tons of action, good morals, and a pinch of romance combined make Rango one fantastic movie! This movie was beautiful... one of the best animated features I've ever seen. It was truly a western, and there were a lot hysterical of references to old movies, but the tiny cliches made it more enjoyable. The jokes were pretty funny, and the language was TYPICAL for a western. Read about the plots and settings before you assume its appropriate, though! I agree with the adults on the site that Rango could have used a PG-13 rating. But people keep making this mistake- JUST BECAUSE IT IS ANIMATED doesn't mean it's okay to take your LITTLE KIDS to the movie. Animated movies are usually family films. Just keep in mind, not all of them are ok for 6-year-olds. There's a big difference between shows like Spongebob and Family Guy, and there's a big difference between titles like Toy Story and Rango.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byhair mom March 6, 2011

Good if you are realistic with your child, and they know life is not all we would like it to be

I usually just read these reviews, but the way some parents are reacting to this movie made me really upset. ITS A MOVIE! It does not have an underlying agenda to ruin our kids minds - that is obviously being done by the parents who feel that it is up to Hollywood, the teachers, and anyone else but the parents to teach kids right from wrong. I thought it was a different type of animated movie (I would like to see it again - to see what other amazing artwork I may see next time), but didn't find anything disturbing. My son who is seven knows what bad words are (and that they are inappropriate), has seen bra ads on tv (more harmful than an animated headless doll torso) and knows that death is part of life (yes he has attended family funerals). He and I were entertained for the 107 minutes that the movie lasted, then he was ready for something else...He didn't seem to be ruined for seeing it, we actually talked about the quote I liked best from the movie "No man can walk out of his own story" meaning you can tell lies to try to get people to like you (like Rango did) but if you are given the opportunity to make it right and do the right thing - do it - because it was what you were meant to do... (and another thing the word that seems to be in question was "thespians" the word lesbians was never said) I really think people are really looking too hard into this... Please take it for what it is - simply a PG (not G) rated movie (last I checked PG meant Parental Guidance).
Kid, 9 years old February 12, 2011

i really want to see this movie!

great animation! im going to see it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 March 1, 2015

One of the animated genre's best, but also one of its darkest.

I feel that this is one of the best animated films ever. Great storytelling, decent animation and above-average acting and music make this a great western from the creators of Pirates of the Caribbean. However, this is perhaps one of the darkest animated films your children will want to see. With a few on-screen deaths (none up close) gun fetishism and minor cursing (hell, damn) the youngest of children shouldn't watch this. But 10 year olds will love this, and even in my teens I still find this a massively entertaining flick. Final Score: 8/10: Very Good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 6, 2014

My Review on "Rango"!

Parents need to know that even though this is an animated PG movie, its not for young audiences. The main problems are the near constant deceptions of smoking and the violence. If this movie was a live action film, it would very easily merit an R rating. The other concerns are a sexual reference at the beginning, and mild language. Damn and hell are used a couple of times. Rango says to a naked barbie, "Are those real", referring to her breasts. The violence alone is an instant PG13. Hangings, crushing, and near constant shooting and gun violence. The smoking is constant, and alcohol consumption is infrequent. The MPAA was a little more lenient considering this is an animated film, but this is a hard PG/moderate PG13. This is best left alone for mature tweens and teens. 12+. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG13 - for thematic material, constant gun violence, smoking throughout, some frightening images, brief language, and a sexual reference
Kid, 10 years old September 25, 2014

Rango

This Film Is Great. There are Drinking Smoking Etc
Kid, 10 years old September 20, 2014

Not good for kids under the age of 10

The first 20 minutes where funny but when rango goes into the town of dirt the movie turns dark. The amount of violence is crazy it goes from western shoot outs to gun wars there is also death in it (but no blood) there is also lots of swearing from words like "da*n" to words like "bi*ch" and "he*l" it's just to bad for young kids if I could I would rate this 0 stars
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2014

One of the best animated films ever. I'm glad it won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. Johnny Depp and the other cast did well. Now how did this get PG? There are some stuff that kids shouldn't know like the word 'floozy' and 'trollop'. It even had lots of smoking and some language including action.
Kid, 10 years old April 14, 2014

My Dad likes this movie

This movie is epic! It has great animation and it's funny, though the swearing is too inappropriate for little kids. It sucks i don't have this movie on DVD!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGLaDOctopi April 3, 2014

These ratings are misleading

First off, these ratings are supposed to be about the quality of the movie, not how you were traumatized by it. If you don't think you can handle the violence/language, just don't watch it. 4 stars, but a 5 to bring it up. Don't hate on movie because of the "inappropriate" language.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Rango Is Too Violent And Has Persuasive Language with Guns

This Movie Is To Violent! We had a family movie night on netflix with My 10 year old and my other 10 year old and my husband. we watched this on netflix about 3 days ago which was are family movie night and this movie is PG! and it has lots of language! I thought since it was animated and it was a family movie this would not happen! this should have been PG-13! it's too violent! uses of H**L, D*M and other humor! this is off for my kids! my kids don't use any language but its teaching them it! and there is guns!