All member reviews for Rango

Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Adult Written byFamilyValues March 5, 2011

Disappointment

Cute characters on the trailers but disappointment in bad language!!!, rude joke about nude mannequin, not for all families. Too bad I took for granted that these cute little characters would be an easy movie night with our family. Do we really need these off color jokes and language to encourage people to watch a film? We go to fewer and fewer movies because of poor choices made in Hollywood. More money to spend in other places.
Kid, 12 years old January 31, 2012

HORRIBLE MOVIE

Horrible kids movie I was shocked when i watched it to many bad words save yourself some problems and dont let kids under 12 see this movie
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byKarenSkyy April 2, 2011

One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time.

This movie was really horrible. It starts out with Rango trying to have a date with the naked torso of a Barbie and goes downhill from there. Like so many others have mentioned, I was totally shocked by the language. This movie was absolutely not appropriate for children. Many of the characters were scary, there was a lot of lying, (again) bad language, violence and it was really just a bad movie.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byPasadenaMom March 13, 2011

Not for young kids; wish I had that 90 mins back.

I thought this movie was terrible for children. The smoking, the bar setting, the drinking, the violence - why was this considered a good idea? The animation was stunningly realistic but the characters were all so ugly and unpleasant looking that I kept wishing the animation was LESS realistic. Yuck. The humor was adult oriented and had no place in a children's movie. Ex: one character talks about an enlarged prostate and another character appears with a doctor's glove on his hand. Do I really want to explain why that was funny to my 6 year old?!? Mammograms and lesbians were also "humorous" topics. Just not appropriate humor to put in front of children. Didn't like this one at all.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byhorsemom2 March 10, 2011

Save your money!

My kids were excited to see this one, but we were very dissappointed. It was obvious that they were trying to add some spice for the adults (bad language, sexual undertones, jokes about prostates and prostate exams, etc.), but it came off as blatent and completely unnecessary based on the story line. The story line was relatively dark and strange and seemed very similar to other movies like 'Over the Hedge' without the cute animals and funny one liners. I also nearly fell asleep for about 1/2 of the movie. The only redeeming quality is the animation quality which was good...too bad they couldn't come up with a story to support the animation.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bykytrailhikers March 9, 2011

More of an adult cartoon, and definitely not for little kids. Cute characters but too violent & cursing.

There are some PG movies you can take 4 year olds too and explain them okay but this wasn't one of them for us. The use of curse words was not appropriate and the movie turned violent when it switched to the western scene.I think it was rated all wrong. To me, should have been PG 13.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byfloydmom March 7, 2011

not for kids under 9 and frankly pretty bad.

it was terrible.The violence is over teh top. my 10 year old leaned over to me and told me "there is no way this movie is PG mom". my 5 year old was okay, he doesn't get scared, but there were plenty of things that were inappropriate. At one point the rather scary rattle snake (it's tail is a Tommy Gun!) wraps the girl up and tells her to "sign the d**n deed or i'll send you to hell". One characters dies by drowning. my 10 year old thought it was okay but we won't be seeing this one again.
Parent of a 8, 9, and 11 year old Written byJRJIDCostello March 5, 2011

We took 5 kids - - Ages 11, 9, 9, 8, 7 - All Boys. It was without questions the worst, most inappropriate PG movie I can ever remember. First of all, it was boring, the characters were awful to look at, the language and rudeness was beyond belief for a PG. We hated this movie - absolutely nothing redeeming. The kids didn't like it either. The story was dark and you could feel the negative mood in the theater. Just horrible!!!
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written bywjandj March 5, 2011

NOT suitable for young kids

I should have researched this one first. My children, ages 4, 6, and 8 thought it was ok, but pointed out some of the bad language after it was over. I'm almost certain my 6 year old will have nightmares from the violence..The snake was terrifying, and since when do characters get shot and killed in kids' movies? My 4 year old fell asleep, thankfully. This would be fine for a preteen/teen, but skip it for the younger kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byladida76 April 4, 2011

Never EVER should have been marketed to children

Rated PG but near enough guidance on what we were in store for. The main character tries to commit suicide, a character's murdered body is found, guns are treated very casually (including by children) - that is NOT PG!
Parent of a 1, 3, 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byfruitfulmama April 3, 2011

not suitable for kids

I hated this movie- was totally inappropriate and some parts creeped me out!
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo March 31, 2011

Weird movie, not for the kiddies

Okay. This is definitely a teen or maybe even a tween movie. Not for kids under age 11, possibly 10. I mean, there's a whole lot of the "d" word (stronger version of darn), a whole lot of lying, a whole lot of gun violence, and just some strange stuff. There's visions in the desert, lots of adult references, and even an occasionally catatonic character. It's dark. Think Johnny Depp, and you'll know what I'm talking about. There's a lot of existentialism, too, which is a weird way to start a movie geared for children. The beginning scared my younger kids, too. It wasn't my idea to go see it, and I wish the younger ones hadn't. Not a kids movie.
Adult Written byELLAJACK March 27, 2011

HORRIBLE,DISTURBING AND EXPLICIT

HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I I wish I would have reviewed this movie first.The language was at times excessive.The sexual content was excessive.I really should have gotten up and left. My husband felt thr same way.Strongley consider not taking your children to see this movie.It's really sad you have to sensor an animated movie, what happen to clean, fun family movies????
Adult Written byctcook March 13, 2011

Not for young kids - more adult humor

My family went to see this movie. We felt bad for kids in the audience. It is much more geared to older kids and adults. Much of the humor is adult related. There is mild cussing, but it was unnecessary. It had things we felt would be scary for young children - a snake, weird animals, etc.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byFaulkner March 10, 2011

There was way too much smoking in this movie. I cannot believe that was not accounted for in the official rating. Why? There really are few if any role models. The animation was beautiful. But the story was flat. Kids cant relate to a water problem. The Mayor controlling the water was confusing. Why does the Armadillo get cut in half and not die and yet the hawk is simply dead. The death is not cartoon death but rather appears to be the real thing. I think this is too much for the younger cowd. Also, showing the carelessness of Rango handing a gun to a child. Then that child looking straight down the barrel? Was was this not a problem? this is not a good role model- this is a stupid model. Kids do dumb things. The dumbest is to mimic dumb adults. I could go on and on. I don't think this is a good movie for children.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bykimmn March 10, 2011

VERY DISAPPOINTED! After reading and hearing favorable reviews, took our family opening night with 5 & 7 year old sons. Language was totally inappropriate and VERY UNNECESSARY to put in a children's movie. Said "D_ _N" at least once and "H_ _L" at least a half a dozen times with big line from main character at height of movie saying "GO TO H_ _L." WHY do they feel this is necessary to put in a kids movie???? Frustrated that my kids had to hear that when we don't talk that way or want our kids to talk that way. What is the point? Couldn't get past the unnecessary words used to pay enough attention to the storyline as I kept worrying about what they would say next.
Parent of a 4, 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byibrandyc March 7, 2011

More of an adult cartoon. Not for kids.

This movie had too many situations and words that were inappropriate for young children. It has no Christian values and comments on unmentionable parts, God, sexuality and violence. Not a movie that my kids will ever watch again.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byParents Speak March 7, 2011

Rango review for parents

It is hard to say no to kids when they see that it is a cartoon. But the content in these cartoons is getting worse. The swearing, adult content, etc. I was severely dissapointed in 'Rango'. My littlest one was scared and asked why the cartoons were aloud to swear and he couldn't. What does these new cartoons say to our kids?
Educator and Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bybritbisk March 6, 2011

Did NOT like this movie. The language listed above was plenty-- but I was shocked as Rango decides he can't take it anymore and walks into a busy interstate in order to end it all! Suicide in a kids movie is not the message I want my children seeing. If my youngest son had not fallen asleep, we would have walked out. I was hoping there would be a positive ending that at least my oldest could hold onto.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bynandyf97 March 19, 2011

Worst movie I've seen in ages

My kids couldn't wait to see this. What a disappointment! The theme is dark, the story slow, and simply not very interesting. My kids are 8 &10 year old boys. They love guns and all boy stuff, but even my 10 year old thought it was awful. I was ready to leave in the beginning when Rango cuddles the naked Barbie torso and asks "Are those real?", but we stuck it out. Bad decision! It never got better. Definitely not appropriate for the under 10 crowd.