All member reviews for Rango

Guns and deep thoughts make this best for older kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl June 21, 2011

I wish I could rate it zero stars...

I cried. I was not crying because I was sad. No, I cried because of the stupidity of it! I would not recommend seeing it... or even looking at it... it was that bad! Is it possible for a movie to be THAT bad? I didn't think so but yes. We saw it with my cousin... it seems we see a lot of bad movies with her. There are creepy characters and everything is just overall creepy! If you loved it... who are you and where do you come from? No offense. FOUR STARS? The people really rated it FOUR stars? No- no no NO! If I could, I'd rate it one star, if only that was an option. But it wasn't... sadly. Anyway it made me want to throw up, bury myself in a hole and die. Don't waste your time...
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Golden Cat June 21, 2011

BAD MOVIE!!!

This movie should be rated PG-13!!! This is just a terrible movie for any age. There are a lot of inappropriate jokes. There are also a lot of drugs, smoking, swearing, and kissing. I would not recommend seeing this movie, this movie is NOT for kids.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMazo997 February 26, 2011

Beautifull Effects but VERY VIOLENT

What a beautifully animated film. Older audience members will enjoy this film. Unfortunately, we saw this with a very, very young crowd as the Special Screening Pass was given away to a young audience through the libraries in our area. For that reason, I'll provide my thoughts based on the age in the theater for this particular showing as the majority of the kids were approximately 4 to 10 years old (as this was the audience the library programs were geared - VERY young). Although the effects of the creatures were outstanding - the film was extremely violent - meaning, impalement, hanging, drowning, kidnapping, burning, explosions, shooting LOTS and LOTS of shooting, guns being pointed in peoples faces, even CHILD characters holding guns and shooting guns. There's an entire scene with a group of bad guys that resemble the characters from the Hills Have Eyes - it was soooo creepy. They held knives, axes, guns, every imaginable weapon. Tons of physical violence, punching in the face, slapping each in the face - women and children were slapped and/or punched throughout the film, talk of squeezing until eyeballs popped out of their heads! There is also an extended scene in a bar with conversations about killing a family of brothers while drinking shots. All of which was mixed in with constant swearing and bad language. For the older audience, the plot is somewhat hard to follow, the laughs that are typically geared towards the parents in the crowd were few and far between. However, the animation was some of the best I think I've ever scene down to the minute details.
Parent of a 10 and 16 year old Written byathenabelle February 28, 2011

Agreed. This movie is VERY VIOLENT for a movie targeted to young children.

I went to a special screening with my two kids: a 16 year old boy and 10 year old girl. I was shocked at how violent this movie was, and I am one who usually scoffs at "cartoon violence". Yes, it's a cartoon, but this movie in particular has very realistic, very angry violence that has a different feel than Tom & Jerry or any Disney movie (really, they all have violent scenes). My 10 year old daughter was made uncomfortable by it, and just the night before we had watched Charlie's Angels. She is not sheltered from violence, by any means. Mazo997 is right. There is every kind of aggression and weapon used in this movie. Read Mazo's review for a more detailed description, but in ADDITION to all of that, there was even a joke about someone being hanged (accompanied by a visual). It also bothered me that a couple of characters cross a very busy street by blindly running through it. One does get hit and bounced comically but painfully around many cars for a verrrry long time. This is a personal pet peeve of mine, and why I added "Not good role models." Some people might also be disturbed by the old west style of living (lots of drinking and yelling, everyone and their grandmother has a rifle, etc.) but I let that go since it is, basically, a Western. I was surprised by the language used: "you son of a __" where the last word is essentially bleeped out, and lots of "h-ll" and "d*mn", all used appropriately, and, again, angrily. Also the language is very adult just in the way the characters speak - think True Grit. My daughter couldn't really keep up with the accents and the manner of speaking once Rango gets to Dirt. Given all of that, I still have mixed feelings about the movie. My daughter did not like it at all. My son really liked it. I felt that it was trying too hard to be a kid's movie for adults. There have been some examples of balancing the two (The Muppets, Rocky & Bullwinkle, all Pixar movies), but this movie seemed to forget that young kids would be in the audience, so even the scenes that made only the adults laugh (like the Fear and Loathing reference) made me cringe and just hope I wasn't going to have to explain it later to my kids.
Parent of a 2, 4, 6, 9, and 11 year old Written bylinxi April 22, 2011

Waste of Money, waste of Time

Hated this movie. I took my 5 children to this movie and it was pure torture to get through. The language and content was extremely uncomfortable with my older children and the violence was too much for my younger ones. I thought this was a kids movie but in the end all I had were tears, confusion and a very frustrated mommy who wasted her money to see it. I should have walked out and I regret that I didn't. Could have taught my kids a good lesson on having enough courage to stand up and walk out on a bad and inappropriate movie. Do not waste your money or your time with this terrible film. Big disappointment.
Adult Written bykhan2705 March 28, 2011

an impressive movie.

4.5/5 Rango is an ordinary chameleon who accidentally winds up in the town of Dirt, a lawless outpost in the Wild West in desperate need of a new sheriff. i saw this movie with great excitement and a lot of expectations and was very happy to see that this movie was exactly what i was hoping for to see in it. from the Director of PIRATES OF CARRIBEAN series comes this classic looking animated western comedy Rango. the movie features voice overs of the great Johnny Depp, well with all the westren accents i really liked the work done. screenplay of this movie is quite smartly written, good and very fresh story with good screenplay. a very good job in the writing departement. animations are very classy as i said earlier, jaw dropping visual effects, i really loved the desert shown, looks amazingly realistic. a good job on the art direction and cinematography. this movie overall is a fresh and completely new animated movie in years. i really liked it or should i say loved it. many sequences in the movie seems very real and visually stunning. right from the start you know it is gonna be good. direction is good and so is the editing. somewhere this movie gets a bit slow and bit off the track but not much. the character of Rango is quite adorable and lovable. it is a very exciting, thrilling and fun movie. it has good action too and some laughable scenes. this movie i would say isn't actually for very young children as it has smoking scenes in it. i hope it do gets Oscar nomination next year for Best Animated Film, quite early to say this as i don't know what actually is there waiting for me. Talking about animated movies this year Gnomeo and Juliet was fun movie good for a one time watch and the second one which is Mars Needs Moms isn't of my appeal so this one is very good movie to watch. i really appreciate their effort for making this movie what it is. i loved it so much and so will you.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byfutureplanit March 6, 2011

Terrible for anyone under 15

I didn't do my homework on ages for this one. My almost 9 year old daughter doesn't talk like they did in the movie. Shame on mom and me. And shame on nickelodeon for producing and promoting this movie to their younger viewers. We will now be putting parental controls on a "kid friendly" cable channel. As an educator of preschool and elementary school children, I am appalled by Nicks programs and obvious greed driven program decisions. What is wrong with our country?
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byagency14 March 5, 2011

Stay away with young kids!

I just sat through this with my 4 and 7 year old, having NOT checked this site first. What a mistake. While I might have enjoyed it alone, hearing a really scary character hiss "I'm going to slice your face off and use it to wipe my unmentionables" was not enjoyable. There was just waaaay too much killing, swearing and amusing but too sophisticated dialog for most kids. If the already frightening characters had been human vs animated, it would have easily been an R-rated movie for the violence alone. While I love Johnny Depp and thought he did a great job, unless you're ready for your kid to hear and use the line quoted at the beginning of this review, stay away.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byLa2alaska March 6, 2011

A negative for Native Americans!

I am a nurse living and working in a Native American community in Sitka, Alaska. I was sickened by the negative Native American stereotype and what was said about the character by another. The Crow/Native character was standing on a hill top when another character said "whats that big dumb Indian looking at" I felt like I was punched in the stomach. I felt bad for all the Native people in the theater with children. That line should never have been in the movie. Shame on The producers,script writer and actors for not being more culturally sensitive!
Adult Written byLovefilm March 6, 2011

Wonderful movie for parents and kids 9+... The best family movie this year so far!

Wonderful movie... Funny and exciting, but also fairly heavy and serious. This is not a film for small children, dispite how cute Rango is, many of the other characters are scary and gruesome looking. Lots to talk about after though with older kids. Look for lots of references to other movies! (Starwars, Good Bad and Ulgy etc.)
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byginny1 April 2, 2011

Should be rated PG13!

Too much bad language, scary parts for younger children, more adult humor than kids, drinking scenes. In my opinion should be rated PG13
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMissRobin April 2, 2011

Language inappropriate for kids

A movie that is marketed for children should not have cursing, drinking and smoking. It would have been a very good movie had it not been for those inappropriate and unnecessary additions.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byPartlySunny March 28, 2011

Don't See Rango!

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, for kids or adults. We were dumb enough to think it was fine for my almost 7-year-old and 8 -year-old. On top of just being generally boring (my brother actually fell asleep), it was just plain creepy. The characters were so haggard and disturbing -- it's like the animators kept trying to outdo each other. There were several scenes that made you feel a little like you were watching a desert version of Deliverance. And don't even get me started on the snake licking the main female character's cheek. I'm basically sorry I paid money to see this and implied that I supported the movie in any way. And I love Johnny Depp, so that's a bummer.
Kid, 9 years old March 2, 2011

The WORST movie I have ever seen

It was awful. Every five seconds there was some terrible, disgusting, creepy or scarring image and most of the movie I felt like running out of the theater. They tried to make a strong female character but she didn't do anything "strong", and in the end she was kissing disgusting Rango (eew!) None of the jokes were funny. Some were even inappropriate, which was really bad, especially since kids as young as 4 or 5 were watching that movie, some jokes were about breasts, etc. There were naked Barbies, and a really stereotyped Indian character. What if a Native American or Indian child saw that? What are they supposed to think? The violence was intolerable. SO many things happened including lots of shooting and injuries, even death. The plot was flimsy and hard to follow, to top it off, and it was unclear if Rango was dreaming, sleeping, dead, going crazy, or if it was in real life. What WAS clear was that they were trying to project an "inspirational" message but instead showed me crude characters, creepy men, stereotyped characters, 'sexy' jokes, and awful humor. Do NOT see this movie, whether you are 1 or 41 or anywhere in between. Cannot say how bad it was.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2013

Strange western film has weird and scary scenes

Good movie. The violence is moderate... Machine guns are fired, canyons collapse and an eagle is killed... With one bullet. A knife is drawn and scraped across someone's skin. It's fairly funny. Smoking is an issue. Characters continually smoke in the background. The main characters looks very scary, snakes with guns, lizards with guns and possums with guns. An overall good movie with Johnny Depp. 9+
Teen, 15 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 October 2, 2011

Great and funny movie with positive messages, excitement and creativity. Fine for 11+

Parent of a 9 year old Written bythreatlevelmidnight April 1, 2011

not good for any age

Wow, seriously bad movie. Drinking, smoking, bad language, scary characters, creepy looking "animals", death, violence and lots of adult themes. I thought maybe I had mistaken a kids movie for an adult movie but then I thought "what adult would [ay money to see a lizard cowboy?".
Adult Written byrose_in_ct March 27, 2011

Engaging & fun for my son

Like many good movies for kids, Rango works on multiple levels. My 4 1/2 year old followed the plot easily and enjoyed it more than any other movie we've seen in the theater. The only part that was a little scary for him was a scene where the snake squeezes one of the main characters and threatens her, but that moment only lasted about 30 seconds. The chase scenes were exciting, but there was more to the movie than just action; there was more depth to the underlying plot than you see in most kids' movies. My son spent hours after the movie playing pretend scenarios pitting Rango against Rattlesnake Jake, and we also had an interesting talk about how sometimes people who seem good on the surface can be greedy or evil underneath. I'd also like to note that one poster here thought he/she heard the line "Dumb Indian" in the movie and was offended. I'm pretty sure the actual line was "Dadgum Indian." Nothing to get worked up about I'd think.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byDeeWillis March 22, 2011

inappropriate for children

I was shocked to hear curse words during an animated film. The word H**l is said about 3 times and da**n is said once. The girl character actually says, "go to H***." Scenes in the movie were also pretty intense, with a scary and realistic looking snake, and violent. There is absolutely no reason for this, and the people involved in making this movie should have known better. If my child accidentally overhears something said on TV or in public, I can tolerate that and discuss it with my children, however, I will not take my children to see a movie with adult content that is MADE for CHILDREN. I refuse to purchase any Rango merchandise and informed my friends and family of the content of this movie.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bygamereviewer6469 March 9, 2011

Tweens and older

Some language such ass "d-mn" "h-ll" "b-tch". Guns everywhere, some sexual themes, lots of deaths, but its just a movie cmon