Intense Kurosawa masterpiece about a rape and killing.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

An amazing movie...

I watched this movie on TCM one night, and all I can say is that it was incredible. If you are a teen or up, go watch this movie-- it comes highly reccommended.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 3, 2009
The main flaw is director Akira Kurosawa's sentimentality. The philosophy behind the story would seem to be that all the characters are telling the truth, despite the unlikeliness of that, However, Kurosawa turns it into "everybody lies". Nice try, but it didn't fit in here. Otherwise this is really great. The only Kurosawa films I would place above it are Ikiru, Throne of Blood, and Ran.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 May 31, 2009
The movie came out in 1950, so they could not put anything very bad content-wise. There is talk of a rape that happened and some mild violence. Anyone 12 and over can handle it. Though they would probably be bored.
Parent Written bythenoah February 17, 2013

Maybe the Greatest Film of All Time

This movie is simply AMAZING! It is appropriate for almost all ages, but I don't think kids under eleven will appreciate it. This movie is though provoking, entertaining, and extremely intriguing. I highly recommend it.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bymooneym1 July 19, 2010

Shocking treatment of rape victim by all concerned.

The major problem with this movie is the assumption, shared by all the characters, that a woman who is raped becomes defiled by this, that she is no longer worthy of being married, that her husband can reject her and that, really, she should do the decent thing and kill herself. It might be best to go along prepared to discuss this afterwards, rather than the somewhat dated use of the unreliable narrator.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies July 13, 2010

teens will (hopefully) enjoy while kids wont understand the message

THIS FILM HAS NO VIOLENCE. (on screen) it all takes place within the imagination. The main thing that makes it for 13 year olds, is that it has a lot of talking and the ideas that it spreads.