All member reviews for Red Riding Hood

Twilight-esque fairy-tale thriller mixes sexuality, horror.

Teen, 13 years old Written byChinagirl123 April 24, 2011

Good Movie Very different than original story

It was very different then the original "Little Red Riding Hood" story, but it was a pretty good movie. it was alot like twilight chosing between two guys and there was a lot of viliionce and one sex scene but besides that it was a good movie
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN April 2, 2011

Dark and demented turn on a classic fairytale is intriguing but would've been better with a different director.

To start what I assure you will be another one of my extremely long (yet thorough) reviews, I have to say this: Within the first 15 minutes of the movie I could tell it was directed by Catherine Hardwicke; and to me that's not a good thing. I didn't like Twilight, and this had a Twilight-esque nature to it. Some of the lines and scenes were the same, as well as the fact that Billy Burke was in Twilight and this movie too. I didn't really feel the chemistry between Peter and Valerie at times. At points it just seemed like they were only together because they knew no one else liked their relationship. The sexual content went a bit too far for a PG-13 movie for my taste. (Not that I wasn't dying to be Amanda Seyfried when she had Shiloh Fernandez making out with her.) Now think of the more intimate scenes from my point of view in the theater. Try sitting next to your aunt, feeling your cheeks get warm, and failing miserably at looking like what's going on totally disgusts you when you know it doesn't. Both Shiloh and Max Irons (yeah Jeremy's son! Wow!) are of course gorgeous, every good movie needs a hot guy. Now, as far as violence goes, I imagined the werewolf attacks to be more... well, more I guess. Scratched victims are shown and what is supposed to be fresh wounds look more like scars they've had for years. The lack of blood bored me. When a character's hand is decapitated it looks sooooo fake too. I mean come on! Your town is repeatedly being attacked by a werewolf and there's barely any blood to prove it! I do love the whole dark and slightly demented feel to the film though. They really did well twisting the story of Red Riding Hood around to turn it into something teens on up would like to watch. When the DVD hits stores I will definitely get it. Now that I think about it, towards the end bits and pieces of Tristan and Isolde slipped in as well. Things like the boat scene and being engaged to someone else... Yeah, okay, I apologize for rambling, but I'm done now. If you're still reading this, and the only reason you'd probably still be reading is if you've read my other reviews (and love them) and know that I ramble but don't care anyway. I love that kind of dedication! Keep it up! Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written bycgw April 2, 2011

Twilight's new family member? Red Riding Hood

This is, like many others have said, a teen movie. Unfortunately, parents may not give a darn about it because of how similar it really is to Twilight (a movie I truly did NOT care for), the whole 'Oh I love this guy and want to be with him forever no matter what' plots are really getting redundant. The good thing I do like about this movie is that it proves a love can be pure but not exactly perfect. You may enjoy the never-ending love thing as well as the horror aspect but it's time for something new because this horror/love/comedy genre isn't really meant to be.
Teen, 13 years old Written byupperluv March 20, 2011

HATE IT it was a mix of twilight and the book Little red riding hood. I mean come on people think of your own ideas for movies. it was a waste of my time and money.
Adult Written byreviewer1889 March 13, 2012

Okay, really people.....

First off, the original Red Riding Hood was gruesome in nature as well. Don't let the fact that it was a little girl skipping to visit her grandmother betray the fact that in the end the father had to rip open the wolf to retrieve the grandmother and Red(who were stewing in wolf intestine and whatnot for hours) in the first place. The fact that this movie added something more to it should have been expected because it was meant for teens. I don't imagine teens going to the movies to simply watch a little girl get gobbled up. The directing was....okay. I don't find Catherine very original or creative in the least bit but she gets the job done to the point where its at least remotely enjoyable. As for the message of the film, it did send a rather poor message for teens. Isolating oneself to be for somebody you think your in love with is never plausible by any means. But then again, think of the setting. This is supposed to take place centuries before common sense took a more effective role in people's lives. Running away to be with your 'true love' wasn't so unthought of. Yes, it was still really bad and reflected poorly on the entire family and all that mumbo jubo with reputation. Just because it was directed by Twilight lady doesn't mean the setting and messages are in the same context. As for the sex. Yes there is going to be sex. Try as we might, teens are discovering their sexual nature earlier than the older generation and we can't stop them. All this "dont watch this stuff" only moves to make it come across as more attractive.
Adult Written bygotiawolf March 17, 2011

before you offer opinions on hollywoods version of anything try some thing novel read the original stories. So we have violence, teen/young adult exploration of sexual matters. involvement of the church etc. That is life. For those that are not aware of it this and many other of the Grimm stories take place during the time of the Inquisition , witch burnings, and the time When the The Malleus Maleficarum was The law . Here is an excerpt from that law, If a witch be taken her whole family shall be taken. She shall be bound and rowed to the deepest part of the water. There to be thrown in. If she float she and her family shall be hung. if she drown she shall be declared innocent and she and her family freed. There is enough evidence in the records held by the RCC to support the theory that the modern conception of a witch is what a young woman would look like after being release by the inquisition after being declared innocent of being a witch. For all the Parents out there all it took to be declared a witch was being a woman and educated in any way. Have a special recipe for ginger bread? your a witch.
Kid, 12 years old March 24, 2014

Mature 11+

I found this movie good. It was violent, a little bloody, but not much gore. Although it's violent, it's still not that much that kids can't handle. One sensuality scene, and one sex scene, but we only see it for less than 10 seconds, and we only see Seyfried's back. Also, this movie is kind of disturbing... Mature 11+
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2013

Red ridding hood

It has some sexual references and horror themes a little bit of violance
Kid, 12 years old August 7, 2013

One of my favourites!

It's a great movie for teens who love dark fantasy movies.
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2013

tween flick

This was a good movie hardly scary little e blood and in the attack scene some kissing that's all all and one of th we characters is drunk
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie lover xx November 16, 2012

LOVED IT!!!

I have seen this movie twice now and adore it. I love modern, dark takes on fairytales (snow white and the huntsman). I watched it the first time with my parents and the second on my own. I can't deal with horrors as i get scared to easily (though i can watch final destination and lesbian vampire killers without flinching). The sex scene between Peter and Valerie made me slightly uncomfitable (excuse my spelling im tired) . The only bit that upset me was when the burnt Claude alive in an elephant statue thing (mentally handicaped boy accused of dark magic after pulling a tarot card from behind a guards ear and then being questioned as to the name of the wolf. obviously not being able to speak he cant say the name of the wolf) then his sister later going to father whatever his name was (sorry i'll edit it later correct my spelling etc...) offering him money and then when he turns it down, she says wait i have more to offer and undressing into her vest top and pants (quite clearly and not very discreetly offering herself to him *wink wink*). However it is quite sweet the lenghts she would go to for her brother but then the way he looks her up and down is what disgusts me. Overall an amazing film and not really any full nudity but 'innuendos'. For mature 12 year olds xx
Kid, 12 years old November 10, 2012

What I Have to Say

Red Riding Hood is one of my favorite movies, and I think that yes it does have a few scenes with blood and yes there is a kissing scene but is not really a horror and its not one of those movies with just sex and stuff in it. So i think its ok for 12 years old and up.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2012

not for young kids

this movie is a horror mixed in with a romance. It has bad role models who are selfing and violent. Valerie the main charecter even is trying to run away with her lover leaving her family without help in these dark times. In the movie the father of lucy kills her and kills his mom and tryes to kill Valerie just to protect his seceret. Overall if your kids do se this make sure they know what the characters did was selfish and the main message about giving everything up for those you love in times of need is partly greedy
Teen, 14 years old Written bymetallica July 6, 2012

has sexual references, and loads of violence

there were some 'Close-to-sex' moments...there were lots of violence and as kids they would hunt and kill rabbits.. very little or not at all swearing... they kept on talking about forcing the girl to marry someone that she doesnt want to, and there were a lot of close suspects of being the wolf, and the wolf was no one you would expect to be a wolf
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag May 5, 2012

Bad fantasy flick has nothing to do with the fairy tale. Lengthy sequences of PG-13 violence and peril.

"Red Riding Hood" has nothing to do with the classic fairy tale, but rather seems like a bad "The Village"-ripoff (don't get me wrong, The Village is a great movie!). This movie has bad acting (not even Gary Oldman has good moments), a bad story and not a single moment where it gets the viewers. The worst thing is, you see how the movie thinks of itself that it is something great and thrilling. This is NOT the case. There are lengthy brutal scenes of violence, but it is all either implied or very dark. Teens can handle it. The movie is unintentionally funny and this takes a lot if the intensity away. Suitable for viewers 12 and up, but absolutely not recommended.
Adult Written byLakeside May 3, 2012

Please don't bother watching this.

The sexual inuendo in this movie is bad but the most disturbing part was watching a village turn on each other. No one speaks up or uses their brains. They only listen to whoever shouts the loudest. To them the only option is to kill, torture or betray others or else they'll get eaten by the werewolf. They ask no questions and the ends always justify the means. Consequently everyone pays a hefty price for it. It's painful to watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbbyknowsMovies January 7, 2012

Great Movie, Good for Mature 11+

It's really good. I'm 13 and I think this is a good movie for 11 and up. I disagree with the people who say 'it's too scary for kids younger than 13' Uhmm cocky much? It's not scary it's just something that gets you wide eyed like wooaahhh. I only put the sexual and language mark for anyone who really is not allowed to view any movies with any making out or any bad words. :)
Adult Written bymarclare December 28, 2011

Pretty good...

It was good, and I enjoyed it, except... hmm, I don't know, let's see... oh! I know! The part when they burn my faorite character alive?! It was good, and I enjoyed the mystery, and I never would have guessed the wolf was... you'll have to watch the movie and find out!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySumBO December 18, 2011

Great Movie!!(:

Great Movie. Amanda Seyfried does a Great Job, Gary Oldman also did great As Always. A Awesome Action Packed romance perfect for Teens and Tweens!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjtoomey55 December 5, 2011

ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER

Believe it or not. I didn't think this movie was bad.i'm 12 and i admit afriad of my own shadow. LOL. This was my first "horror" movie and I was kind of scared to see it but when I decidied if it gets bad i can always leave right? so i saw it and I AM GLAD of it my friends got bored around 60 minutes of the movie. Me and my girlfriend were taking bets on who was the "wolf" and let me tell you we BOTH got a schock when we found out who it really was. I waon't say because i don't want to be the one to ruin the movie. The idea of not tellng who the wolf was great, it put that needed suspense to the movie. I really enjoyed this movie and if people are telling you it's scary, it's not maybe a little creepy but not close my eyes type scary. PERFECT for those who are new to horror movies and a little scared of seeing one