All member reviews for Red Riding Hood

Twilight-esque fairy-tale thriller mixes sexuality, horror.

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN April 2, 2011

Dark and demented turn on a classic fairytale is intriguing but would've been better with a different director.

To start what I assure you will be another one of my extremely long (yet thorough) reviews, I have to say this: Within the first 15 minutes of the movie I could tell it was directed by Catherine Hardwicke; and to me that's not a good thing. I didn't like Twilight, and this had a Twilight-esque nature to it. Some of the lines and scenes were the same, as well as the fact that Billy Burke was in Twilight and this movie too. I didn't really feel the chemistry between Peter and Valerie at times. At points it just seemed like they were only together because they knew no one else liked their relationship. The sexual content went a bit too far for a PG-13 movie for my taste. (Not that I wasn't dying to be Amanda Seyfried when she had Shiloh Fernandez making out with her.) Now think of the more intimate scenes from my point of view in the theater. Try sitting next to your aunt, feeling your cheeks get warm, and failing miserably at looking like what's going on totally disgusts you when you know it doesn't. Both Shiloh and Max Irons (yeah Jeremy's son! Wow!) are of course gorgeous, every good movie needs a hot guy. Now, as far as violence goes, I imagined the werewolf attacks to be more... well, more I guess. Scratched victims are shown and what is supposed to be fresh wounds look more like scars they've had for years. The lack of blood bored me. When a character's hand is decapitated it looks sooooo fake too. I mean come on! Your town is repeatedly being attacked by a werewolf and there's barely any blood to prove it! I do love the whole dark and slightly demented feel to the film though. They really did well twisting the story of Red Riding Hood around to turn it into something teens on up would like to watch. When the DVD hits stores I will definitely get it. Now that I think about it, towards the end bits and pieces of Tristan and Isolde slipped in as well. Things like the boat scene and being engaged to someone else... Yeah, okay, I apologize for rambling, but I'm done now. If you're still reading this, and the only reason you'd probably still be reading is if you've read my other reviews (and love them) and know that I ramble but don't care anyway. I love that kind of dedication! Keep it up! Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byChinagirl123 April 24, 2011

Good Movie Very different than original story

It was very different then the original "Little Red Riding Hood" story, but it was a pretty good movie. it was alot like twilight chosing between two guys and there was a lot of viliionce and one sex scene but besides that it was a good movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bycgw April 2, 2011

Twilight's new family member? Red Riding Hood

This is, like many others have said, a teen movie. Unfortunately, parents may not give a darn about it because of how similar it really is to Twilight (a movie I truly did NOT care for), the whole 'Oh I love this guy and want to be with him forever no matter what' plots are really getting redundant. The good thing I do like about this movie is that it proves a love can be pure but not exactly perfect. You may enjoy the never-ending love thing as well as the horror aspect but it's time for something new because this horror/love/comedy genre isn't really meant to be.
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2011

amazing movie.....different from the kids tale. worth watching.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhappyemo April 1, 2011

Good movie..... but different

This was a good movie and I loved it except for one part which really put people off. They fry a mentally impaired person in an elephant because he cant speak. And then they return his body to his sister after they made a deal to release him alive! It was very brutal and the boy was like my FAVORITE character in the entire movie!! Other than that it was a great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byexrbklyngirl April 3, 2011

Okay

Not the best movie, but I kinda liked it in a weird way.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 3, 2011

i liked this movie and i didn't like this movie.....It's up to you

What to watch out for * Messages: Many of the movie's messages are focused on relationships, and they aren't necessarily positive for adolescents. Valerie says things like "I'd do anything to be with you," and Peter affirms that they should run away, leaving everyone and everything behind to be together. That's not a healthy message for teens already inundated with messages that Twilight-level obsessiveness equals the pinnacle of romance. Then there's the wolf, who, when revealed, expresses a desire to have a partner in using the vicious power to kill, terrorize, and reign over people. Role models: Many of the characters act selfishly -- even Valerie, who is willing to leave everyone behind for love one moment but willing to sacrifice herself the next. Father Solomon means well, but his methods are ruthless; Father Auguste tries to save some of his parishioners, but he's too late; Henry and Peter act courageously some times and selfishly others, but as a whole are genuinely trying to help Valerie. * Violence: The werewolf attacks the village many times, killing dozens of citizens. People are dismembered, decapitated, stabbed, and tortured to death. The violence is edited in a way that minimizes some of the more graphic, gorier deaths, but the audience still sees many people get killed, including a man whose arm is ripped off, a young man who's burned alive, and a few characters who are killed by loved ones or associates because of their connection to the wolf. * Sex: Valerie and Peter flirt as children and, as young adults, touch and kiss quite passionately several times, occasionally saying sexually charged things to each other. At one point he kisses her so fiercely that he picks her up; she wraps her legs around him, and he says, "I could eat you up." In another scene, they get horizontal, and she asks "Don't you want me?" which prompts him to start unfastening her top, until they're interrupted. Valerie also hugs Henry and gives him a kiss on the cheek, and Valerie and Prudence dance provocatively while Peter dances with Rose. A young woman offers her body in exchange for her brother's release, but she's refused. * Language: Insulting language (particularly to young women) includes "sl*t," "harlot," "witch," "devil's daughter," "coward," and more. Also "oh my God." Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: In several scenes, men and women drink -- in many cases to excess -- at the town pub and during a hedonistic celebration. A few men look drunk, and one character is shown passed out next to a pool of vomit.
Teen, 13 years old Written byupperluv March 20, 2011

HATE IT it was a mix of twilight and the book Little red riding hood. I mean come on people think of your own ideas for movies. it was a waste of my time and money.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCrazyKaulitzWriter March 17, 2011

What big eyes you have Valerie. . . Shame there doesn't seem to be a brain behind them.

I'm amazed at how terrible this movie was. I don't know where to begin! It ripped directly from Twilight and the ending was crap! The audience I watched this with (myself included) laughed at several parts of the movie that were supposed to be tense and scary, and you wouldn't believe the uproar caused at the end of the film. The acting. . . Ugh, I don't want to think about it. I went thinking that if the movie was bad, at least Gary Oldman was in it. I left, though, wondering if being a Gary Oldman fan was all that wise. Point for creativity, though (SPOILER), as I truely didn't expect the wolf to be Valerie's father. Over all, this movie just really, really sucked.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygarnesab March 14, 2011

i enjoyed this movie i went to it with my family. it keept me guessing but i don't recomend it to people who think its for younger kids its the orginal fairy tail that was ment to be read by older kids. Check it out
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubble-gum March 25, 2011

Ok for mature tweens and up.

This movie was pretty good, but there was a lot of violence involved. It was a lot like Twilight since it was a Catherine Hardwicke movie in the sense of a love triangle and such. I thought the ending was sort of random, but other than that it was pretty good.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byscrymi March 13, 2011

hahahaha

Good movie no matter what the reviews say. Kinda gory though. you can never guess the wolf.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWildgurl01 March 27, 2011

Love this movie! I honestly didnt find the violence to be to bad. I read the book first and surprisingly the movie wasnt to far off. Some of the story is a bit dark but nothing most kids or young teens cant handle.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI love the book... March 24, 2011

Bit iffy for younger kids, but a good twist of a fairy tale.

I thought this movie was well written and a good twist of a fairy tale. There was a lot of violence, and a couple really heated kissing parts. Also there was some drinking, but that's too be expected since the movie was set back in the day when bars like that were common. The message was slightly positive since, "There is no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend" and there were many characters who fought for others in the village. All in all, a carefully planed out movie with a surprise twist.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive March 29, 2011

"My, what steamy scene you have."

I will tell you that I went to see if for me. I am a fan of Catherine Hardwicke, the director of Twilight, and Gary Oldman, so I thought I'd give it a chance. It is very sexual in nature and very adult in some of the things that happen. Definitely, not good examples for kids. Definitely not something I'd see again.
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2011

this is for tweens also but more targeted towards adults and teens

i <3 it!!!! wanna see it soooooooooooo bad
Teen, 17 years old Written bypoophead94 March 24, 2011

THE BEST

ALRIGHT
Parent of a 15 year old Written byChiqken lover March 19, 2011

I loved it is a cool movie to seee
Teen, 15 years old Written byHTFMime March 16, 2011

Be careful parents!

They turned little red riding hood from a cute kids fairly tale into a horror movie! How dared they!
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2011

So, who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf??

This movie was superb. There were some scary jump-out-at-you parts that really were awesome. I have to admit though, the wolf wasn't that impressive, but the storyline made up for it. I loved the ending though! Who would have thought the wolf was who it was?