All member reviews for Red Tails

Wartime drama mixes aerial combat, worthy messages, cliches.

Parent Written byEnlightened 1 January 21, 2012

Red Tales - "A Must See Film."

Red Tales is a positive, fun, funny, exciting, feel good, informative, inspirational, and historical movie about African-American pilots in World War II. It will more than likely be shown in classrooms in the near future as it should be, and despite many people trying to keep the movie from being a successful blockbuster class movie, I believe that it will ultimately become one. Not only is this a great movie, I believe it will do so well, that people will positively buzz about it for a very long time to come. Because of plantation minded people initially rating the movie poorly, this is one movie that you really must see for yourself, I felt so good, while everyone responded emotionally to events that were unfolding, as the movie played on. I believe this movie may just show up in history books in the future, as a catalyst of socially constructive and mind changing events of 2012. A must see film.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGoolsfold January 21, 2012

Could of been better.

Some language, including the N word and some smoking and drinking throughout. A decent movie, could of been better, I say wait for the DVD or Blu-Ray.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 10, 2014

A good history lesson for everyone, especially coin collectors.

Viewers of this movie will see that even recreation was segregated during World War II. For example, when Colonel Tomlinson goes into the bar, he's told that it's an officer's club. When he says, "I am an officer", he's told that it's a whites only officer's club. But, after his men prove their heroics, that whole group is invited back into that same bar. The Tuskegee airmen had to work so much harder for acceptance than did other soldiers. But that did not stop them. Because of their hard work and good records, including a couple major victories in battle, eventually they got the recognition they deserved. That is why those men have been chosen to be Alabama's National Park quarter, to be released in 2021.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston June 4, 2013

This was good. Don't listen to CSM.

OK, first off, i'm a MIX of black and white. It was kind of racist when they were like "black men can't fly". I remember when someone said that only black people eat at Popeye's (a chicken place). Like I said before, i'm MIXED. That means my skin is black AND white. I loooooooooove Popeye's. I've seen white people eat there. I love it because I love their 5 piece chicken tenders, cajun fries, and soda combo. Their chicken skin has a super-good crunch in it. Besides, you can't be racist AND Christian. I'm a Christian. This film was good because it has positive messages and it was interesting.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophilepianist May 31, 2013

Great film despite some iffy content

Despite some iffy content, this film is full of great messages.
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2013

Red Tails

This movie is very good. The ending is a bit, saddening, though. The combat is very realistic and the fact that "Easy" is kind of an alchoholic is disconcerting. Overall good, an inspiring film, what lots of people look for.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski November 28, 2012

Bad writing shot what could have been a great film right down the crapper

This movie should have been so much better, but the acting and writing are just sub-par. The action sequences are pretty good, but without any real connection to the characters the tension is just not there. It's sad, because this was such an important story to tell and they just screwed it all up. In the end it is just a corny, badly written, mediocre action movie. I love WWII movies, but this one was just plain disappointing.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 21, 2012

Good.

Even though i'm white,I enjoyed this movie! It was cool and action packed! CSM needs to have their reviews checked up!
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 22, 2012

WHO SAYS BLACK MEN CAN'T FLY?!

Even though the stories of the characters and the acting of some people is a little below average, the movie is all in all pretty good! It has great special effects and it would be a great movie for history buffs! Some of the violence can be too intense for kids. This would actually be a good movie to watch in history class!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bysqueek12 July 20, 2012

Too intense for kids under 13

Violence is too intense for kids under 13. The message gets lost in the blood and violence. Lots of smoking and bad language.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews June 30, 2012

Red Tails Movie Review

Slightly bland WWII movie has some good action but dreadful dialog
Teen, 17 years old Written byRobbShowMovieReviews May 27, 2012

Red Tails Movie Review

WWII fighter pilots movie is entertaing but too long.
Teen, 14 years old Written byphotogirly11 April 5, 2012

Best movie of January 2012

I think the movie is a really good message to the viewers. There are scenes with stuff in it that might be inappropriate to some people. If you don't like tragic accidents, then this movie is not or you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 23, 2012

violence mixes with humor

highly graphic and violent, but loads of humor and jokes to go with it. contains large explosions, graphic and sad deaths, and a VERY high body count.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykogaiscool March 5, 2012

to the last plane

i loved it. it taught me more about the army.it was great
Parent Written byaacoop32 March 2, 2012

Very Educational, Beware of Language

I took my 3 boys to see this movie, ages 8, 11, and 12. I was surprised by the unneccesary use of cursing in the movie, some uncomfortable alcohol dependent situations, and one sexual encounter implied scene. However, the historical significance of the war was well worth coming. The actors did a wonderful job, it portrayed a part of the war that even I didn't know existed about the African Americans, and we really learned a bit about history. If I had to do it all over again, I would definately take my kids to see this, but would not bring my 8 year old. If only they had pared down the cursing, drinking, and sexual implications, it would have been more appropriate for younger kids. What a great history lesson!
Adult Written byGGMamaJohn February 11, 2012

Good film to watch.

I think that was a good movie to begin dialogue on the many accomplishments of African-Americans in wars. I was pleased that the audience, when I saw the movie, was diverse. This let me know this wasn't just a "black" move but an American movie. Congrats to George Lucas for his tenacity in getting this movie made.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6 year old Written byZero Tolerance February 9, 2012

It is what it is.

When I first saw this movie, I was disappointed not only because I'm a Tuskegee alum (c/o 2006), but because it failed to meet my expectations of a good modern action movie. I concluded that this movie would have been meaningful had it been released 23 years ago when Lucas first conceived of it. However, while the film may not appeal to the sensibilities of the aged (or desensitized), I think that this is a FANTASTIC movie to introduce children to the genre of war movies, given that there is no gore and minimal blood (now how that's for fantasy?). The characters are the kind of stock you would find in your average TV show...the jokester (who is named Joker), the holy man, the renegade, the leader, the mentor. It's all there. The theme of overcoming social and "real" obstacles is nascent, and Lucas says that he'll address topics such as race more explicitly in the next film, if it ever happens. But for now, we have to settle for the archetype of the one racist senior officer, the one progressive white officer, and the possibility of interracial love OVERSEAS, but not in the states.
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2012

Educational

This movie will teach you more about the African American soldiers. It is educational but will have some things that are not suitable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHuhthing February 4, 2012

Great Special Effects but Less-Than-Great Acting

While the CG of this movie is stunning, the voice-overs of the bomber pilot and some of the acting were really terrible. There was little character development, and quite a bit of language. Its role models and positive messages, however, were good. It is a good example of how people of African descent were treated in the 20th century. Dogfight sequences are intesnse, often showing blood, fiery explosions, etc. It's your choice if you want to see the movie. There's a 50/50 chance you'll like it. The worst that could happen is you're out a few bucks.