All member reviews for Red Tails

Wartime drama mixes aerial combat, worthy messages, cliches.

Adult Written byGGMamaJohn February 11, 2012

Good film to watch.

I think that was a good movie to begin dialogue on the many accomplishments of African-Americans in wars. I was pleased that the audience, when I saw the movie, was diverse. This let me know this wasn't just a "black" move but an American movie. Congrats to George Lucas for his tenacity in getting this movie made.
Parent of a 3, 4, and 6 year old Written byZero Tolerance February 9, 2012

It is what it is.

When I first saw this movie, I was disappointed not only because I'm a Tuskegee alum (c/o 2006), but because it failed to meet my expectations of a good modern action movie. I concluded that this movie would have been meaningful had it been released 23 years ago when Lucas first conceived of it. However, while the film may not appeal to the sensibilities of the aged (or desensitized), I think that this is a FANTASTIC movie to introduce children to the genre of war movies, given that there is no gore and minimal blood (now how that's for fantasy?). The characters are the kind of stock you would find in your average TV show...the jokester (who is named Joker), the holy man, the renegade, the leader, the mentor. It's all there. The theme of overcoming social and "real" obstacles is nascent, and Lucas says that he'll address topics such as race more explicitly in the next film, if it ever happens. But for now, we have to settle for the archetype of the one racist senior officer, the one progressive white officer, and the possibility of interracial love OVERSEAS, but not in the states.
Kid, 10 years old February 5, 2012

Educational

This movie will teach you more about the African American soldiers. It is educational but will have some things that are not suitable.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHuhthing February 4, 2012

Great Special Effects but Less-Than-Great Acting

While the CG of this movie is stunning, the voice-overs of the bomber pilot and some of the acting were really terrible. There was little character development, and quite a bit of language. Its role models and positive messages, however, were good. It is a good example of how people of African descent were treated in the 20th century. Dogfight sequences are intesnse, often showing blood, fiery explosions, etc. It's your choice if you want to see the movie. There's a 50/50 chance you'll like it. The worst that could happen is you're out a few bucks.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 4, 2012

It's ok

A pretty entertaining movie, but a little long
Parent Written bygablesan January 31, 2012

Redtails, Great story bad delivery

The treatment of the airmen and of the intelligence of the expected audience is abysmal. These men were not treated with the respect they deserved. The one I actually knew was a real gentleman, quiet, respected and intelligent. We don't need no "step and fetch it" to sell the story of these men to a white audience; not at ;this late date. Hank deGroh
Teen, 14 years old Written bypatton1942 January 21, 2012

Not Half Bad Though you Might Want to Watch the Language

This is a pretty good movie because although there are a WHOLE lot o' curse words, all the characters are good role models. I was surprised by the "n" word but you soon get over it all in all a pretty decent movie.
Adult Written bygiagnocavofamily January 20, 2012

Straight to DVD - don't spend money in theater on this stinker

A huge disappointment. The story of the Tuskegee Airmen deserves a decent treatment, not this careless, choppy drivel. All that can be said is that they got the basic facts right. The acting was terrible, the dialogue painful. None of the characters were developed in any way. A shallow, soulless film. Cuba Gooding- a great actor - was given so little to work with- he sleepwalks his way through the film.