New York artists face eviction and more.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykeelycrazy November 3, 2011

Rent is inspiring.

This movie is NOT for kids that imitate things going on in movies. This movie has inspired me because it really says to live your life like each moment is your last. Not everything in the movie is positive, but you can really take stuff and apply it to your own life. It has also told me to measure my life in love and not by time. It is very inspirational if you watch it the right way.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviefan101 August 19, 2009

Inspirational and a moving film that will change your life

RENT is about 8 friends who face the harsh poverty areas of New York City. In the film they learn they must face the relationship struggles and have to face the AIDS/HIV+ Disease. Drugs are portrayed as an issue where we see Mimi's beautiful life destroyed by heroin addiction. The strife that the characters had to endure was sad and hard to. One relationship used as a model for everyone, Angel and Collins', is a relationship between a gay man and a drag queen. They have a beautiful and loving relationship, and their song "I'll Cover You" shows the ideal of love. But the relationships in this movie show nothing but strong love and commitment. The Music is excellent.It gives a lasting impression and keeps you singing these songs forever more. The main messages of this film are friendship and loyalty. This is a must see film that everyone will enjoy.

Rent is a must see!!

Yes, rent is very innapropriate at times, but the message is one that true love is strong no matter what gender you are or what you belive or your bad qualities. I don't think the fact that there is a gay and lesbian couple change the appropraiteness, there is nothing morally wrong or innapropriate about that. Also, the people do have aids and take drugs, but those are real issues in the world. I recommend this movie to mature 11 years old and up. Don't watch if under 11 or 12.
Parent of a 11 and 16 year old Written bygleelover123 February 20, 2011

perfect for tweens and up

i loved it and it taught my kids not to do surtine things..........my child is 11 and she understood every word and loved it she can't stop singing the songs. but kids 10 and yonger won't understand.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion June 18, 2011

An Edgy and Uplifting Musical Adaptation

RENT hadn't spent a long time on Broadway before it was considered to be made into a movie. However, after directior switching and studio swapping, the resultant film arrived in 2005, almost ten years after the original Broadway production opened. However, the passage of time hasn't dullened any of RENT's messages or sensibilities. The musical's story and message of love, living life to the fullest, and acceptance is just as relevant today as a decade ago. Though the movie cuts out many beloved songs from the original show, it has stayed true to the original through a splendid direction and execution. The story translates well to film. However, despite the positivity, Rent isn't for everyone. Though the movie was admittedly made with a young audience in mind, by all rights, it should have been rated R. Aside from thematic issues revolving around poverty, disease, sexuality, and drug addiction, the film contains brief harsh profanity, straightforward depiction of drug use, and a pervasive sexuality akin to its staged counterpart. Strippers (including a main character) are shown performing, and although they stay (barely) clothed, their dance is plenty suggestive. It includes thrusting, caressing, and plenty of leg bending. We see the bare butt of one dancer in her thong. Elsewhere, a woman (albeit humorously) moons a man (and the camera). A woman is seen cheating on her partner by kissing another woman and man. One of the biggest musical numbers in the film features a barrage of light-hearted sexual jokes and comments (including references to S&M, masturbation, and drug use), accompanied by mock thrusting and some obscene hand/arm gestures. There are two (sung) f-words, plus numerous mild profanities. Two different women are seen injecting themselves with heroin, and a man is shown smoking marijuana. A short, graphic scene shows a woman going through violent withdrawal after trying to quit cold-turkey. On the plus side, said drug use is condemned and not praised as in most films. In short, Rent is a must-see film for fans of the show and of musicals in general. But its messages of friendship and devotion come along with lots of potentially offensive content that is not (in my opinion) excessive, but iffy for kids.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byshotgunsinner14 October 26, 2009

Best movie, for any age.

This is an amazing movie. It shows the meaning of love. My only thing, is that it takes awhile to get into, for some people. There is a stripper scene, but its nothing drastic. There are gay couples, but I don't see how that would be a problem for anyone.
Teen, 15 years old Written byaclikespie April 9, 2008

RENT: Who Should See it?

RENT is a must-see for any child over the age of fifteen and any mature thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen year old. Parents should buy the soundtrack first, and explain the story. It's easy to become distracted by the music and fail to see what the heck it going on. At age thirteen myself, this movie is cut up into audiences. 1. The Sheltered Children- Never will see it. Cringes at the word "butt." It's unwise for them to try until their an adult. It's just the why they're raised. 2. The Immature Children- Will laugh too much at the fact that Angel and Collins are gay and Mimi's a stripper. Will fail to see the message. Might take the drug references seriously. (I mean really, Mimi dies from drugs. Who in their right mind would think that's "cool?") 3. People Like Me- Yay. Probably Musical Lovers or Artistic people, they will see the deeper symbolism (Yes, there is symbolism....) and values like acceptance and getting away from corporate America. Mark faces following his dream and money. Anti-Commercialism, much? Parents- Tread Lightly. Where is your child? I loved this movie and fell in love with the characterize and the music. To me, a heartfelt masterpiece. Then again, I’m a sucker for any musical.
Kid, 10 years old May 5, 2012

i like it

is amzing songs great cast lots off drugs but i like it
Adult Written byLleayn91 May 3, 2011

Great film!

A wonderful, powerful movie. It promotes acceptance of homosexual couples, raises awareness for HIV/AIDs, and shows it's audience the tragic life of a girl who is addicted to heroin. Real people with real problems, and it doesn't sugercoat it. The couples are in loving relationships, but still have their problems and fallouts, and the movie does a great way of showing how love can overcome any darkness in your life. If you love musicals, you'll love this movie.
Adult Written bySabbrielle April 9, 2008

Xlassic

This is a beautifully acted musical. They songs are fun and empowering. I was surprised that it was not rated R because of some strong sexuality and language. For the most part, Rent discourages drugs and unsafe sex, realistically showing the horrible consequences for both. The lyrics in "La Vie Boheme" may need some explaining, though that song is so fast-paced it's difficult to pick out many words or phrases unless you see it over and over like my sister and I have. As far as general behavior goes, the characters are loving, supportive, and resolve their relationship issues by the end. The characters are fascinating.
Adult Written byewha16 April 9, 2008

So good...:)

This movie seemed really different from a lot of movies I'd seen. Showing the darker side of life for once isn't such a bad thing....as long as the subject matter isn't too much. There's drug use, a character who is a stripper, and characters dying of AIDS. But the overall message was positive, it seemed to me, conveying a message of hope even in tough circumstances. In particular, I thought the attitude toward homosexuality was great: they showed gay and lesbian couples as just as normal as heterosexual ones, even healthier, at times. And the music was great.
Teen, 14 years old Written byoneliahubert July 1, 2016

Rent is a good learning movie

I think Rent shows kids how life turns out while not taking the right direction and some can come up as a good outcome and some bad.
Kid, 12 years old May 21, 2016

Great story and songs!

This movie is really great and the songs are AMAZING! It uses language and there some inappropriate scenes and mature themes (like drug addiction and HIV/AIDS) but kids won't follow in the footsteps and I don't think it will encourage children to swear. Your kids will really enjoy it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlison23222333 May 6, 2016

Good Movie!

I think it is a good movie but not appropriate for kids under 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDemi-Time-Detective October 17, 2015

My all time favorite movie

Calling all hard core musical fans! RENT is the amazing story based on Puccini's opera, La Boheme (which I preformed in). The story follows eight protagonists through a hard time period. Sure, there is a lot of sex, swears and drugs, an the main issue a STD, but if you ever want a great time passer, watch RENT. The soundtrack is addicting and very easy to love (guess what I'm listening to now), and the characters are so lovable. This is easy to talk about, different sexual orientations, a trans character and many other aspects. I watched this for the first time with my mum when I was twelve, and the first time I watched it alone I was thirteen. Perfect movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysarah-879887 October 17, 2015

My review

Great movie/musical! The movie deals with LGBT issues (AIDS), Drinking, Drug use, Violence, Swearing. If you are okay with watching a film with these subjects or are okay with your teens it's a good watch!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysofia.villa August 15, 2015

Excellent movie, but there is an error in the CSM review

This movie is a great musical and all, but I'm mostly writing this review because there is a pretty upsetting error in the Common Sense Media review. It says that Angel is a drag queen when she's actually a transgender woman. They are not the same. Drag queens are men “dressing up as women” but trans women are, well, women. Rent is however a great musical, 10/10 would recommend.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykc123 July 27, 2015
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 13, 2015

Everyone's favorite edgy musical gets so-so adaptation

I am in no way a huge musical theater fan. I love musicals and theater, but I'm not a diehard "Rent" fan like some are, though I did see a very well done college version a few years back. I obviously didn't remember a lot of it, except key moments like the opening (will "Seasons of Love" ever not want to make you cry?) and Maureen's bonkers monologue done epically than none other than Ms. Adele Dazeem. But you can't help but feel like this is an obvious adaptation, even though the characters have more space to roam free, it feels very transition-to-silver screen. The actors, most of whom originated these roles on Broadway, are so over the top you see every tooth in their mouth as wildly overact their roles. Yet the music is highly enjoyable, the dance numbers almost as much fun as seeing them live, and Idina Menzel really does steal the show as I'm sure she did onstage. She's a born performer! For theater buffs, like the person I'm seeing right now, the movie will probably have you bawling. This will probably prove too much for those just wanting to see "Rent" on a Sunday afternoon.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFathomT January 8, 2015

Beautiful story: not for the young ones

First off I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the stage show and have a mother (who is co-writing this review) who has. The story and music, which, as I am being told right now, don't change much at all, are masterworks and it is truly a shame that the book (term for script in a musical) writer-composer-lyricist couldn't be here to write another musical like this. The actors are mostly the original broadway cast, with the exception of the Mimi and the Joanne. It should be noted that the original stage show premiered in 1996 (I think: our memories really suck right now) and the movie was released in 2005. Pretty much everybody (except the aforementioned roles) is visibly 10 years older than the 20 somethings they should look like. However, Rent fans who weren't born in time to see the original cast or only had the money for the cast recording and/or to see it on tour, this is your chance, although most of them have mellowed down a bit. As for the kids, forget about it. Well, for the young kids at least. Although the song "Contact" (a seemingly incomplete song in which you get a glimpse into the charaters' sex lives) was cut, there's still prevalent sexual content. F--k is said at least twice and other curse words are more frequent. There's a bit of drinking, just some champagne on New Year's and "Wine and Beer" in the song "La Vi Boheme," but there is a lot of drug use, especially heroine. One character gave it up and another is a full fledged junkie. So, yeah, not for family movie night. Maybe for a very enjoyable night with your teenager.