All member reviews for Rent

Teen, 15 years old Written bykeelycrazy November 3, 2011

Rent is inspiring.

This movie is NOT for kids that imitate things going on in movies. This movie has inspired me because it really says to live your life like each moment is your last. Not everything in the movie is positive, but you can really take stuff and apply it to your own life. It has also told me to measure my life in love and not by time. It is very inspirational if you watch it the right way.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviefan101 August 19, 2009

Inspirational and a moving film that will change your life

RENT is about 8 friends who face the harsh poverty areas of New York City. In the film they learn they must face the relationship struggles and have to face the AIDS/HIV+ Disease. Drugs are portrayed as an issue where we see Mimi's beautiful life destroyed by heroin addiction. The strife that the characters had to endure was sad and hard to. One relationship used as a model for everyone, Angel and Collins', is a relationship between a gay man and a drag queen. They have a beautiful and loving relationship, and their song "I'll Cover You" shows the ideal of love. But the relationships in this movie show nothing but strong love and commitment. The Music is excellent.It gives a lasting impression and keeps you singing these songs forever more. The main messages of this film are friendship and loyalty. This is a must see film that everyone will enjoy.

Rent is a must see!!

Yes, rent is very innapropriate at times, but the message is one that true love is strong no matter what gender you are or what you belive or your bad qualities. I don't think the fact that there is a gay and lesbian couple change the appropraiteness, there is nothing morally wrong or innapropriate about that. Also, the people do have aids and take drugs, but those are real issues in the world. I recommend this movie to mature 11 years old and up. Don't watch if under 11 or 12.
Teen, 15 years old Written byaclikespie April 9, 2008

RENT: Who Should See it?

RENT is a must-see for any child over the age of fifteen and any mature thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen year old. Parents should buy the soundtrack first, and explain the story. It's easy to become distracted by the music and fail to see what the heck it going on. At age thirteen myself, this movie is cut up into audiences. 1. The Sheltered Children- Never will see it. Cringes at the word "butt." It's unwise for them to try until their an adult. It's just the why they're raised. 2. The Immature Children- Will laugh too much at the fact that Angel and Collins are gay and Mimi's a stripper. Will fail to see the message. Might take the drug references seriously. (I mean really, Mimi dies from drugs. Who in their right mind would think that's "cool?") 3. People Like Me- Yay. Probably Musical Lovers or Artistic people, they will see the deeper symbolism (Yes, there is symbolism....) and values like acceptance and getting away from corporate America. Mark faces following his dream and money. Anti-Commercialism, much? Parents- Tread Lightly. Where is your child? I loved this movie and fell in love with the characterize and the music. To me, a heartfelt masterpiece. Then again, I’m a sucker for any musical.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFathomT January 8, 2015

Beautiful story: not for the young ones

First off I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the stage show and have a mother (who is co-writing this review) who has. The story and music, which, as I am being told right now, don't change much at all, are masterworks and it is truly a shame that the book (term for script in a musical) writer-composer-lyricist couldn't be here to write another musical like this. The actors are mostly the original broadway cast, with the exception of the Mimi and the Joanne. It should be noted that the original stage show premiered in 1996 (I think: our memories really suck right now) and the movie was released in 2005. Pretty much everybody (except the aforementioned roles) is visibly 10 years older than the 20 somethings they should look like. However, Rent fans who weren't born in time to see the original cast or only had the money for the cast recording and/or to see it on tour, this is your chance, although most of them have mellowed down a bit. As for the kids, forget about it. Well, for the young kids at least. Although the song "Contact" (a seemingly incomplete song in which you get a glimpse into the charaters' sex lives) was cut, there's still prevalent sexual content. F--k is said at least twice and other curse words are more frequent. There's a bit of drinking, just some champagne on New Year's and "Wine and Beer" in the song "La Vi Boheme," but there is a lot of drug use, especially heroine. One character gave it up and another is a full fledged junkie. So, yeah, not for family movie night. Maybe for a very enjoyable night with your teenager.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLogical.reviews October 15, 2014

This Movie/Musical is SOOO Sad...but GOOD!

I saw Rent when I was 13, and I honestly couldn't understand the movie very well. Some of the characters were being evicted, and I was unclear about what that meant until a few days later. Drugs were used by some characters, and I didn't know much about the effects they had on the human body, I just knew that they were unhealthy. I also didn't get all the deep messages the movie passed on to the audience. Rent was also somewhat traumatizing to me in my 13th year. A character died of HIV AIDS in the middle, and then everyone else's lives fell apart. One character ran away, another got "divorced" at her "wedding," and another character got really depressed over time. Thinking a lot about this movie, I'd have "miniature panic-attacks" where I would hyperventilate for a very short amount of time, and feel sad hours later. This is partially because I have a severe anxiety disorder. But, Rent really is a great movie with a great soundtrack. Most of the songs are catchy, and surprisingly appropriate, excluding "La Vie Boheme." In conclusion, this movie is OK to watch alone if you're a worldly teenager 14 or older. It is OK to watch with your parents if you are 11-13 years old, if you don't think too much about the movies you see.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytribbles August 29, 2013

let child watch if mature and understands many adult themes

I am pretty good when it comes to "inappropriate" things unlike most teens who laugh at these things and ignore the true meaning. I say you(the parent) should watch first to determine where to fast forward. less inappropriate than the stage musical (with the help of cutting the song contact). Me and my mum were surprised it was only pg 13. almost every song mentions drugs, sex, has a gay or lesbian couple (witch I don't see as a problem but some people are more sensitive) or uses strong langue. It has a great message if it gets taken the right way but these people have just fallen victim to our messed up world it is not their fault. Out Tonight starts off in a strip club I recommend fast forwarding or closing your eyes and listening to this amazing song. The other great message is that new york (and many other seemingly glamorous cities) is not all that nice and it is hard to make it hard to live hard to find a place to live hard to pay RENT. It sure doesn't get your hopes up for making it in "The Business" witch to me is important for everyone to know because no one wants to live like that but everyone gets fooled one time or another. I feel this movie expresses the beauty in the worst parts of life and how friends are always there for you and there is no day but today.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez June 6, 2013

Great movie but not for little kids

Rent is a movie adaptation of the Broadway musical. It is about a bunch of friends who don't want to pay the rent. It is really good, sometimes funny, and has heartwarming characters. I loved it but it has very mature themes such as AIDS,poverty, stripping,and the homeless. It shows that friends get you through the hard times and to there's"No day but today". It starts sad and ends happy. Some of the scenes are hard to understand and sad. Overall great movie but mature.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystvn8or August 4, 2012

Legendary Movie

Pause for 14-? Are you serious? I have been watching rent ON MY OWN since I was about 9 or 10. But, in a nutshell, this is only for mature children.
Kid, 10 years old May 5, 2012

i like it

is amzing songs great cast lots off drugs but i like it
Teen, 17 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 11, 2011

The Stage Version Gets Five Stars, The Film Version Gets Three Stars

I have a five foot tall poster of Rent hanging over my bed, I've seen it a ton of times, I've memorized the song "La Vie Boheme", and more. Needless to say, I am a major Rent-head! The stage version of this is one of the most influential and famous plays of all time. It is poignant, both funny and serious, easy to relate to, and just brilliant overall. The film version is not even close to being as good. It's actually confusing at times, and hard to follow. One of my friends told me she saw Rent, and when I asked where, she said "The movie," to which I responded, "You haven't seen it." If you want to see Rent, you should see it live.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 18, 2011

Incredible, but some songs and themes just make it too iffy and mature for a PG-13, I think.

My rating: PG-13 [borderline with R] for mature song lyrics involving sexual references and content, smoking/drug use throughout, and some language.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypaintxmexsilly April 10, 2011

Amazing, beautiful movie. Sends out a great message to everyone. Love is love, and life is special. The beginning of "Out Tonight" might be a bit much, but other than that the film is fine.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysarahik695 February 16, 2011

Hmm depends on how you look @ it

You get something out of it considering know one will actually act like the charecters in real life but none the less is recomended that you don't until your atleast 10
Teen, 14 years old Written byKylaiaJmaa June 16, 2010

on for 14+ iffy for 13

This a beautiful movie, great message. Even when the characters are doing bad things related to drugs and alcohol, they generally reap what they sow. The strip club scene could be a little iffy for some families, totally fine for others. The same goes for the gay couples (the most they do is kiss). Overall, it has a wonderful message and I think anyone 14+ should see it. If the kid is any younger they should defiantly watch it with their parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written byorlyme April 19, 2010

Great movie, amazing music, lovely storyline.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2009

Loved it

When I first saw this movie I was 10 and I really wasn't getting into it. I thought it was boring. I watched it again telling myself that I was going to really think and enjoy and I did. The strife that the characters had to endure was sad but the entire movie was very heartwarming.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhalfpinthipster June 30, 2009

A beautiful movie with a positive message

This is a great movie. While parents may initially be concerned over the drugs and sexual content of the movie, it's treated beautifully. Drugs are portrayed as an issue -- we see Mimi's beautiful life destroyed by heroin addiction, and in the end she recovers -- it's always made clear that heroin is nothing but bad for her. Sex is treated pretty lightly by the characters because they live a bohemian lifestyle. But the relationships in this movie show nothing but strong love and commitment. The one relationship used as a model for everyone, Angel and Collins', is a relationship between a gay man and a drag queen. They have a beautiful and loving relationship, and their song "I'll Cover You" shows the ideal of love, two partners caring for and helping each other. Roger and Mimi's relationship is difficult throughout due to Mimi's drug abuse, but eventually that issue is resolved and they find their way together. Maureen and Joanne's relationship is a great anti-stereotype of lesbian relationships -- neither of them is a typical butch or femme lesbian, and neither defines herself by her sexuality. Overall, the movie's portrayal of love and sexuality is a hugely positive message. Another great message is friendship, as these friends grow into a family together. When younger kids (and older, really) see this, what will trouble them the most will probably not be the sex, drugs, or language, but the sadness of the story. A main character dies, another one struggles with drugs, most of the characters have AIDS, and the characters' relationship struggles are intense and hard to deal with. Yes, most people will cry when watching this movie. But the ending of it is so uplifting and positive that you can't help but love it. In my opinion, this is a great movie to watch with your kids, or to let them watch. If you want to discuss it with your kids after, you can talk about relationships and how drugs can hurt your relationships with your loved ones. You can also talk about friendship and loyalty -- the main messages of the film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byK3N6A11 April 3, 2009

INCREDIBLE FILM!!!!!! MESMERIZING!!!

This is my favorite movie by far! its incredible and shows a strong meaning of love with one character playing a huge part in this! I cried at the end when something horrible happens to one of the best characters. Even though this is a musical, and keep that in mind when choosing this movie because there are a lot of songs each better than the last, it gives a lasting impression and keeps you singing these songs forever more. Even today at my lunch table we all randomly broke out into one of the songs from this incredible film. By far deserves 500 stars!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrentxisxlifex November 30, 2008

Not Just A Movie, An Experience

This movie has changed my life. It is not really appropriate for kids under age 12, although i saw it when i was 11. I didn't understand a lot of the content, but i do now. So i suggest waiting till you are at least 12 or 13 because you will understand a lot more and enjoy a lot more. You will laugh, you will cry, Lots of drug use, swearing and some inappropriate other scenes, but if you can get past that, there is a wonderful message about true friendship, true love and true diversity that we can all learn from.