All member reviews for Requiem for a Dream

Shocking, grim addiction saga worth discussing.

Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace July 4, 2011

Positive Message: DRUGS ARE BAD

This is an excellent movie. It is also one of the most disturbing films I have seen- that is saying something. There is nudity, violence, and drug use like you have never seen. The reason that I feel even young teens should see this movie is simple. Teens WILL be exposed to drugs and this movie will show them what happens to addicts. This movie takes away all the glamour that other shows associate with drugs. It is a movie kids will remember when they are offered a hit of drugs. If they see it they will not take the hit.
Kid, 12 years old February 10, 2010

Good messages about drugs, extremely depressing and graphic with sex and language

First of all even this movie has a good message about drugs, it's very depressing and sexually graphic and contains muchos language. They say f--k, motherf--ker, s--t, b-tch, a--, hell, etc. It is not pervasively violent, but the violence that is shown is pretty strong (shootings, torture, etc.). The sex is way graphic. It shoes female nudity (full frontal) and shows lesbian and straight sex acts (along with prostitution in the unrated version). Drug use is constant and graphic but has a good message about what drugs can do to any person (black or white, male or female, 10 or 80). It is very depressing and there is no hope for any of the characters. Iffy for ages 17+, if i had kids I wouldn't let them see until they moved out.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythedigitalmastermind July 15, 2011

Great movie, dark, violent, disturbing, sexual, and gritty.

This is a dark, dream-like motion picture. It involves various addictions in which the characters are driven to tragic ends. An old mother is driven to a tragic insanity, and there are scenes of disturbing hallucinations, scary violence, and some excessive drug use and somewhat graphic sex scenes, not visually, but it is graphic from what the viewer imagines, as one female goes into sex shows for prostitution. It is a great movie, but only for the most advanced, mature tweens and teens.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydemolitionlover13 October 12, 2011

Amazing movie, if you can handle it.

This is an amazing movie. I first saw it when I was in middle school, and it has changed my life. What do children see when they turn on the tv? Something glamorizing drinking and drug use. This movie tells it like it is, the addiction, and a glimpse at the withdrawal process. This movie will keep teenagers away from drugs much more than a talk with their parent will. There is intense sexual situations that will not be appropriate for most children, it all depends on what you deem alright for them. It is a movie about drugs, but the only scene that disturbed me was the main character injecting into an infected hole in his arm. Overall, I think that everyone should see this at one point in their life, you'll never forget it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEduardo Peixoto November 20, 2011

Very thought-provoking and debate inducing

This is another clear example of media which, even though fueled with extreme scenes, is positive to ones formation - it stimulates debates around themes which are very common to the teenager and it improves its relation with what surrounds him - especially if this teenager lives in a urban area. Amazing movie, one of the best portrayals of the drug scene/culture.
Teen, 14 years old Written byInception97 July 30, 2011

One of the most depressingly real movies ever made

By the end of this film I felt both unbelievably depressed and horribly disturbed. Thats not to say this is a bad movie. It's the opposite. This is an amazing movie, but is filled with bloody violence, pervasive language, explicit drug use and graphic sex scenes, including a female on female sex show and lower female nudity. (although this is non sexual) If your looking for an uplifting movie about people overcoming struggles to find hope, look somewhere else, because this film has no happy endings and no hope. Watch it and you will feel empty inside.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypurpledots November 23, 2010

Fine for teens

Excellent movie. Tons of good messages here but at times a little disturbing. Everyone should see it at some point in their life. I think it is fine for teens, the first time I saw it I was a teen.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2010
This is really good movie. I loved it! My heart was crying and I had really sad time when I saw this movie. Because the drugs every thing was ruined, that's the postive message and this film show the woman's bottom part and there was so many drugs
Teen, 15 years old Written byJack Harlor January 19, 2014

Notice, they never say Heroin in the whole movie.

This film should be required high school viewing just to prove a point. And that point is beware dependence on anything. The Cinematography is solid just as Ellen Burstyn's performance is (And it's also pretty terrifying). And the same to all of the other great actors in this Darren Aronofsky modern day classic.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag July 16, 2012

Intense, emotional drug addiction movie is great, but too graphic for younger viewers.

"Requiem for a Dream" is a critically acclaimed drug addiction drama by Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan, The Wrestler). Like its lesser known preceeder "Pi", the first thing that stands out is the unusual editing style. The movie uses fast and slow motion, SnorriCam, hand camera and normal camera. There are several scenes using several unique editing techniques that can be quite hard to watch for those who are familiar with Hollywood filming techniques. Another outstanding thing is the superb soundtrack composed by Clint Mansell. No matter if sad, disturbing or party-like, the music always fits perfectly. All of the actors are superb. Ellen Burstyn was Oscar-nominated, and also Jared Leto should have been. Marlon Wayans, who is known for making fairly bad comedies, gives a performance you wouldn't have thought he could. The whole plot is excellent and the ending is one of the most touching and best of all time. "Requiem for a Dream" is one of the most intense, but also one of the best films ever made and I recommend this movie to everyone. However, the movie is not for everyone. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie was originally rated NC-17, but I personally think the MPAA was overreacting. I mean, this movie is definitely not for younger viewers or for the faint of heart, but there were much more graphic movies that have been rated R (e.g. "Black Swan"). The main reason for the NC-17 rating was one scene towards the ending in which two girls must perform a sexual act in which a double-ended sex toy is inserted in their anuses. These scenes are quick and hard to spot. You see one of the girl's face, the sex toy, a cheering crowd, a very brief image of the impact and men making comments about it. All this is very brief and not meant to arouse. It may sounds worse than it is. The whole section "Winter" is extremely disturbing, mostly because of the music that is played ("Meltdown" by Clint Mansell), the expressions of the actors/actresses and the editing style. A man is shot and blood spurts onto another man (unexpected, but not too graphic). A girl imagines to stab a man's hand with a fork (blood is seen, but it is not real). The whole section "Winter" features scenes of psychological terror and in one case, an intense depiction of electro shock therapy. A man's arm is surgically cut and blood spurts (very brief). The ending scene is very heart-breaking. A woman has hallucinations of a fridge beginning to attack her (nothing happens, but it can be frightning for younger viewers). The whole movie is about (both illegal and legal) drugs. It is not a bit glorifying, the whole movie is against drugs. The language is typical R-language. (END OF SPOILERS) I think it is okay for older teenagers around 16.
Teen, 15 years old Written by40706 October 25, 2011

Take it, watch it, hate it, love it, finish it

If you look around and see all the movies that have come out in the last decade, you will see that most of the big box office hits have been big budget action flicks like Transformers. In addition to them being big movies, they also have no real ability to be called a work of art. They’re common, predictable, and uncreative. You do, however get the golden gem every so often. Examples of one of these gems are films like, Black Swan, The Road, Precious, and The Kings Speech. One film I think that can stand out from those is the universally and critically acclaimed film, Requiem for a Dream. It’s somewhat of an older film, having been made in 2000, but sends a kind of message without anything that would annoy you. Having been beautifully crafted by the same genius who directed Pi, Darren Aronofsky, I can say without any doubt, that this is one of the greatest movies of the 21st century. The film opens with a housewife is chaining her television to the radiator in her dingy apartment. When her son comes to take it (intending to sell it for drug money) she locks herself in the bathroom. However, through some negotiating, she gives up the key for the lock and her son is on his way. As you suspect, it’s a routine that they go through all the time. After selling the TV, you see that Harry (Sara Goldfarb’s son) in currently living with his longtime girlfriend, Marion and that their best friend Tyrone, who are all addicted to heroin. Not only that, but Sara is addicted to something as well; TV and sugar. But when Sara receives a phone call from her favorite game show, she decides to give up on the food and go on a diet Meanwhile, Harry, Marion, and Tyrone get their hands on some very expensive and nice heroin and decide to sell it so they can make their “fortune”. The only problem is that when Tyrone is put in jail for being affiliated with a gang dealing drugs, they spend all the money to post bail for Tyrone. Later, when trying to get back on track, the trio discovers that some new “stuff” isn’t come to New York any time soon because of law crack down. In order to get more “stuff” Harry and Tyrone set out to Florida with the money that Marion had just gotten by having sex with her old physiatrist. In the meantime, Sara has become addicted to appearing on her game show. The problem is that she has become addicted to her diet pills and starts to take more in one dosage because “"The pills don't work so good anymore." When she begins to hallucinate that her refrigerator is out to get her, she begins to lose all her grip on reality. Eventually she is brought into an asylum when medical treatment isn’t working for her, so they have to use extreme measures that render her incapable of emotion. During all this, Harry, on his way to Florida with Tyrone, gets his arm infected from all his injections and gets taken to a hospital, when the police catch up to him and Tyrone. Unfortunately ends up needing his arm amputated to save his life, and both Tyrone and Harry are thrown in jail. Marion waits for Harry to return but can’t keep waiting after a few days so she goes to a pimp and becomes a prostitute in exchange for heroin. As you can see, the whole movie is one downward spiral from one hell to the next. The movie was given the worthless NC-17 rating by the MPAA; rejecting it, Artisan Entertainment asked theaters to enforce an adults-only policy. After being criticized by the general public for being too graphic and grim, another outcry was going against what people were saying. They thought that the movie was one that was true to the world and how drugs worked you down. Not only is the acting superb (in a grimy and grim sort of way), but the cinematic were phenomenal. The camera in positioned as to give the view some kind of wristed view from the characters perspective. Also, Aronofsky uses powerful close-ups to depict the drug usage. First we see the pills, or fix, filling the screen, then the injection, swallowing or sniffing that blots out the world. Then the pupils of their eyes dilate; all done with an acute exaggeration of sounds. These sequences are done in fast-motion, to show how quickly the drugs take effect and how disappointingly soon they fade. The in-between times show an edge toward desperation and hopelessness.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySongOnePuzzle December 13, 2013

Controversial Subject Matter, With An Important Message.

This film is one of the bleakest, hardest to sit through films I have ever seen. It is disturbing, heartbreaking, beautifully directed, wonderfully acted, and absolutely magnificent. Honestly, I struggle to think of many films that are more important to watch than this; it's honestly a masterpiece. Despite the subject matter of addiction being handled graphically - this film holds no punches, and tells it like it is - none of the content comes across as gratuitous, because nothing in this film is glorified. Although, it doesn't come across like an extreme anti-drug PSA, it really does feel authentic and genuinely honest. I, personally, see no reason to attempt to 'protect' a young person aged 14+ from this film, as it is guaranteed to deliver a portrait of drug addiction that is in no way glamorous. This film will most likely not cause any problem for teenagers, assuming they can handle the frank subject matter and distressing imagery, but will show them a realistic, darker side to addiction that is tragically lacking from entertainment aimed at that age group.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

No kids.

This is a movie all about drug use. It's awful, but it doesn't glorify it, that being said there's also a sex scene with two fully naked people as well as other explicit sexual scenes that make this movie a no for me. Good for adults, bad for kids.
Adult Written byappy polly loggies January 1, 2010

depressing, amazing directing

A great movie, but the most depressing movie I have ever seen. It is very anti-drug since all the charcters are left with no hope. The real version of this movie is NC-17 for sexual content. The main reason why it got the NC-17 is because it shows 2 girls engaging in a graphic sexual act. There is also a graphic sex scene that lasts about 30 seconds. Drug content is present thoughout the movie and it is graphically shown, but it is not by any means promoting drug use; it is discouraging drug use and selling. Great movie, but extremely depressing and pretty graphic sexually. MINIMUM age:16
Teen, 16 years old Written bytriinuj January 12, 2014

You people are crazy.

I'm 16 and recently watched it in school with my class and let me tell you, it really messed me up. Being my age, I know quite a lot of the addiction and weight-loss part and I'm really open-minded about all that, but (finally) seeing it portrayed as it really is, made me think twice. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't let your kids see it unless they're at least 14-16 years old. It might leave them mentally scarred by disturbing images.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysheiser September 30, 2013

Teens Should View And Discuss Film With Parents

Appropriate for ages 15 & up. The film contains explicit sexual content and extreme drug use. It should be seen with your child and discussed after seeing. The film shows the negative affects of drugs and it should be emphasized sharply to younger viewers. It has a positive message in my opinion, because it dis-encourages drug use.
Kid, 11 years old September 21, 2013

Great film, Positive message

This film is probably my all time favorite. But it's definitely got some inappropriate scenes in that may scare younger or sensitive viewers. Other than the many s*x scenes, I think this film gives a positive message for all ages, telling you not to do drugs. The ending scene is shocking for all ages but otherwise I think you should be at least 12 or 13 to watch this (unless you are sensitive to scary and shocking scenes)
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovekylebro June 17, 2013

A must watch for children and teens

I'm 13 and I saw this movie about a year ago. This is literally the best movie ever made hands down. It is truly an amazing film %100. Dark, disturbing, gritty, all with a message. The message speaks to the viewer not to engage in drugs, as you watch the 5 originally happy characters start drug usage and slowly spiral down. This movie should be shown to children to keep them away from drugs. After watching this, you won't even want to have a sip of wine at a wedding party. The movie is depressing but in a moving way, it speaks that this could happen to the happiest, most normal people and completely destroy their lives. This is the first movie that has literally made me cry my eyes out; seriously will speak to you. Really beautiful movie. Stunning performances and excellent execution. The director portrayed the situation perfectly - showing what exactly drugs do to you. This movie portrays reality, of course there is sexual situations and profanity but it is all in the scheme of the plot. Drugs ruin reality. Requiem for a Dream is a perfect portrayal of that. 5 stars. Movie literally took my breath away. Instead of just telling your children not to do drugs, show them this movie.
Kid, 9 years old April 5, 2013

Requiem for my teen

This is a wonderful movie and extremely uplifting. Go see it as soon as you can. Glad my parents let me watch it!
Kid, 10 years old November 18, 2012

Gloom and despair

Literally the most sad movie i have ever seen. Makes me feel so hopeless that for a moment after watching the movie i might have killed myself if given a chance. The motive is undoubtedly a good one but the sadness of the plot is overwhelming even for the most positive thinkers. I mean life is not always fair or beautiful but still cinema is for entertainment and spreading hope for a brighter future or at least a future in this case. For people who choose to see the empty half of the glass the movie is a piece of art, for those who believe in "we shall overcome" please stay away from anyone who has to do anything with the movie.