All member reviews for Return to Oz

Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo June 27, 2011

Talk about not being in Kansas anymore!

This thing is NOTHING like the original. It's better. This movie has headless princesses, evil kings, shock therapy, these demons called "Wheelers" that gave me nightmares... ...and it was so cool! Mombi and the Nome King are a little scary, as are the Wheelers, but it's a great story nonetheless. I like this Dorothy better, as she's much more like the Dorothy in the books than Judy Garland's version. Compare the plucky, practical, brave young tween in the books and this movie with the screaming, bratty little damsel in distress in the first movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywowthatsfunny November 10, 2011

Watch

Its a great movie a little weird has some bad messages about shock therapy but its a great movie, has some serous scary scenes that may scare some kids but creeps out a lot of people. you should watch it, its good but a little dark well a lot dark
Teen, 14 years old Written byHappy Bookworm April 20, 2013

Forget Midnight on Elm Street, Return to Oz is way scarier!

This is... a horror movie? You'd think, coming from Disney, this would have happy, singing characters and a slight conflict easily solved, right? No. The movie starts out on a scary note, Dorothy has to undergo electroshock therapy, but then she returns to a ruined Oz. Her friends are turned into stone, these demons called the Wheelers are terrorizing the land, and... so much more. This movie is seriously not for kids.
Kid, 10 years old April 7, 2013

Great..... BUT CREEPY.....

This movie was SO good, but parents beware of the scary scenes. The beginning begins with Dorothy going to get shock treatment, so she forgets about oz. She is tied up and a head device is put on her head. The doctor cranks up the machine, but the power goes out. The wheeler are creepy as well as princess mombi, who has human heads who chase Dorothy. The book, Ozma of Oz is not nearly as creepy as the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymryok1 April 4, 2013

Dark scary!

It sounds like I'm joking, but this film is really really scary. I watched it years ago, and me and my brother both agree it is really dark, and not suitable for anyone under 13.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywhile07 April 4, 2013

Scary like hell!

NOT FOR KIDS! The single most dark and scary film I have ever seen. No joke, really not for kids as it is so dark, creepy and disturbing that they will not sleep for weeks.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow March 27, 2013

Very creepy but fun sequel actually improves upon the first

I know this is what everyone says when reviewing this film, but... talk about not being in Kansas anymore! To have gone from such a cutesy kid's adventure to such a dark and twisted film... it just seems impossible. But Return to Oz pulls it off. And, boy was it cool! I loved the dark tone it gave itself, even if it diverted so much from the first film. Princess Mombi was an awesome villain, with all her extra heads and her black frock. My personal favorite scene in the movie was when Dorothy steals the powder of life from Mombi's drawer, and then her headless body chases her out of the room. That was just awesome. I also liked Fairuza Balk as Dorothy, even if she is a bit young for the role. The new characters were enjoyable too; I particularly liked Gump, the moose-headed flying coach (did I really just say that?), with his funny personality and one-liners. The production design and visuals were just breathtaking, particularly the claymation rock heads, and the cinematography was pretty good too (although I have no idea why Kansas is in color now). Yet there are a lot of holes in the plot, and the story as a whole was fairly stupid to begin with. But my absolute biggest problem with the film is the redesigning of the scarecrow, tin man, and cowardly lion; I know I'm nitpicking here, but their new designs were just utterly atrocious; in the first film, they were played by people with a lot of makeup, but now their designs are entirely made out of costume, with the exception of the cowardly lion, who is now entirely mechanical, and wow, does he look hideous. Thank god these characters don't appear until very briefly at the end, or I would have lost it. But it's not much to get upset over. Anyway, this film is very weird and twisted, but it is still charming and fun, and I consider it a slight improvement over the first film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDangerRanger101 August 11, 2012

Terrible movie, not worth your time!

This movie will definetly dissapoint you! I can't really say anything positive except for the fact that Dorothy is a good role model for girls and there are some good messages, other than that there's really nothing good about this movie! The villains are certainly frightening for young kids, mainly the princess with a head collection and her minions; the wheelers. The movie itself is also really dark compared to the origonal movie and will more than likely scare kids under the age of nine. If you want to try it, go ahead but I gurantee you will be dissapointed!