All member reviews for Revolutionary Road

Intense adult drama shocks but doesn't awe.

Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byCharlie Chaplin June 18, 2010

Not good for any age to watch!

I watched this movie because the good actors attracted my attaention and somewhere someone told me it was a good movie! I felt trapped watching it. I wanted to finish it hoping that somewhere there will be some good lesson or maybe a better ending. Man, it went from bad to worse. I felt sick afterwards. If i want my teenagers to see a really sick bunch of characters, while teaching them how to not treat your spouse, I would choose this movie!
Adult Written bymandicruz88 November 30, 2009

Okay for older teens and adults, no children

It's dissapointing that the review on violence made no mention of the abortion that Kate Winslett carried out in the movie. THere is a lot of blood and it is a very traumatic part of the film. It causes me to wonder if the movie was even watched in the entirety by the critics.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byJane Austen fan August 23, 2009

Perfect for mature teens

"Revolutionary Road" is a complex drama telling the story of a young couple who get sick of the mundane regularity of their lives. They attempt to change their lives for the better, with drastic results. "Revolutionary Road" ia a grown-up film with superb performances from Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. I am not saying that teens won't like it but I do think that it i one for mature-thinking teens. There is a fair amount of swearing (mainly the f-word) in the argumentative scenes and some religious parents might have a problem with the abortion theme. In my opinion, this is a must-see. Stellar performances, a fine script and a gripping story. Not many laughs - it is a depressing film - but I highly recommend it and it presents a powerful, very positive message - follow your dreams.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy June 15, 2009

Achingly Real and Undeniably Powerful

"Revolutionary Road" is among the finest films I've seen. As great as "American Beauty" is, this one should go down as Mendes' masterpiece. Kate Winslet's April (who poses question of mental ilness) is the best work done by an actress in 2008, or possibly the decade. DiCaprio gets off to a bumpy start as Frank, but soon becomes so real that he dissolves into Frank's guise. Michael Shannon (as a mentally unstable realtor's son) is simply outstanding, unflinching and brilliant. The film tells the story of Frank and April Wheeler, a couple living out the seemingly perfect suburban lifestyle, though underneath the mask of suburbia their world is falling apart. He secretly wants to be a bigshot, to step out of his father's footsteps and his cubicle on the 16th floor of the Knox building; she wants nothing more than to lead a remarkable life, to do somehing extraordinary. When the two realize that their dreams are hopelessly out of reach, they attempt to move to Paris. Though underneath their sunny outlook on the idea, they each know that it could never work. While battling their inner demons, salvation comes from a walk through the woods with their realtor's mentally ill son (a brilliant Michael Shannon) cursed with saying anything that comes to mind. The placing of his character in the film is brilliant, as he outright says what lies inside Frank and April. The fight scenes between the couple are raw and deeply affecting, and the film is beautifully and artfully shot. *SPOILER ALERT* When April finds she is pregnant, she desperately decides to abort the child, feeling it an intrusion on her dream. But when Frank tells her not to she obeys. That is, until a fight when he tells her he "wishes to god" she had done it when she has the chance. Wanting to escape the hopelessness of suburbia and give Frank what he asked for, she does, resulting in her death. Through the story there are heartbreakingly true and insightful lines (courtesy of a brilliant script), most notably when April declares to Frank "Our entire lives are based on this great premise that we're superior to the whole thing, but we're not. We're just like everybody else. Look at us, we've bought into the same ridiculous delusion, this idea that you have to settle down and resign from life the moment that you have children." That's good stuff. This is a film with heavy subject matter, brief nudity, language, and some graphic (though fully-clothed) sex scenes, so not for the youngsters.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywannabemoviecritic January 12, 2012

GREAT MOVIE

I loved it! I found it also very depressing. I'm 12 and my parent doesn't even know I watched it (children have thier methids) I'm really just trying to say that if you want your kids to see something "uplifting" then go rent Barney and friends. If you want your kids to see something brilliant let them watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadylollipop1 May 4, 2011

Needs a Very mature viewer who is not easily upset.

A very sad film, maybe one of the saddest i've seen, be prepared for that. The sex isn't grpahic and is short but should still not be witnessed by young audiences. It's definately not a family film and married couples should probably not watch it. It is however worth a watch as it is quite brilliant and not as adult as everyone says. Even if you don't like the story watch it for the brilliant acting from the leads!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydicapriofreak94 October 18, 2010

Good, but depressing film

Very well done movie. Brilliantly acted and directed, but highly depressing movie. I watched this movie, knowing that it would not be/end happily, but I was very surprised really at how depressing it really was. I won't give anything away, but just be prepared for a good but very sad movie. There are two sex scenes, one couple have sex on the kitchen counter, and another in the car. There is no nudity, but you definitely get the idea at what they are doing. The F word is said a few times, but not an excessive amount. I would recommend this movie to people who can handle some very depressing moments.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFutureWWEDiva2010 August 16, 2010

depressing movie

disturbing ending! I like the actors better in titanic. this movie depressed me.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPoison Ivey April 5, 2010

If it werent for dicaprio/winslet (perfect couple) I would have hated it

I guess it was a good movie; the only reason i picked it off the shelf was because i had been deprived of leonardo and kate movies since I saw titanic. There is a lot of smoking, swearing. But sex was no worse than any other R movie, and it was farely laid back in that department for it's rating. There was no nudity and you could clearly see in one scene the people were fully clothed. I found it a little boring but I guess overall it was pretty ok, sad. :(
Teen, 15 years old Written bycaseypuppy1 July 4, 2009

GREAT MOVIE IFFY FOR TWEENS

LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!! the actors are wonderful and you were able to relate and feel for both kate winslet's character as well as Leonardo Dicaprio's character WONDERFUL MOVIE
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 April 13, 2009

Revolutionary Road shocking and disturbing.

Talented director Sam Mendes gives us the tragedy of suburbian life. The movie stars actor Leonardo Dicaprio and wife of Sam Mendes Kate Winslet. The movie can get carried away by the fighting and depression but it is great acting on their part plus the Oscar-nominated support Michael Shannon is pure. If you want to see a happy reunion with these two than don't see it, but if you want to see two great actors acting great than see it.