Catchy music and just a few predators in fun sequel.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJD Dad April 13, 2014

A kid's movie for kids

My 7 year old really enjoyed this film. Every potentially frightening situation was well set up to give kids an emotional out. The family values were exceptional and I would recommend it to any parent of a 6 year old and up. I will wait to show it to my five year old on the small screen.
Parent Written byFamilymovies1060 August 11, 2014

Hyper-sexualized frog was disturbing

Enjoyed the movie except for the frog who moved in human-like sexual poses and sang a perverted song. Also, the main dance moves for several characters are shaking their rear ends in the camera's face. I think it would have been better if these things were left out.
Kid, 10 years old June 8, 2014

Funny But...

I went to see it and it was a little funny but the first one is way better. Also one character was so obviously hitting on Jewel which is not a good lesson for little kids. So don't waste your money, just wait until it's in your local library system.
Adult Written bynduns April 15, 2014

I disagree with the critics. I think this is better than the first one

I dunno, I just like the fish-out-of-water concept a bit better than the typical looking for human owners scenario and the characters are fun to the point where I liked them. Even Roberto isn't as bad of a character as the leaked footage made him seem. The songs are better this time around, part of it being due to them not being interrupted/drowned out by dialog. Nigel is still great and the new villains Gabi and Charlie are amusing in their own right. Honestly, the only thing dragging it down is the save the rain forest subplot, but not for the reasons it normally would. No, the problem this time around is that the human characters are uninteresting. Even the human villain is very generic and boring and his monkey sidekick is shockingly unfunny/useless. Still, this takes up so little of the film that it hardly harms the final product. Either way, I recommend checking this out.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 23, 2015

Rio 2 Review..

This film is a very nice film. One thing I would like to say about this film is, That this would be a wonderful choice for everyone in the family to watch..
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2014
I was really excited for this, but it went downhill. The cast were good. I really enjoyed Andy Garcia's role as Jewel's father. Call me weird, but this is one of the worst sequels ever. At least the colours looked good. It had some humour, but it's not enough to satisfy me.
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2014

"Rio 2" Entertains With Few Scary Scenes.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I thought it was going to be another one of those pointless sequels that bore and annoy you while you watch the movie. I was very, very wrong. This was an extremely entertaining and colorful adventure full of laughs, quirky animation, catchy musical numbers, and a surprisingly hip style. The animated romp is about a bird named Blu (voiced by Jesse Eisenberg) who goes beak-to-beak into the Amazon and meets some new birds; a calm, cool singing bird (voiced by Bruno Mars) and his father-in-law (voiced by Andy Garcia). Additional voices include Anne Hathaway, Leslie Mann, Jemaine Clement, Kristin Chenoweth, Tracy Morgan, Will.I.Am, and Jamie Foxx. There are a couple things I want to point out in this movie. There is one scene that may scare some kids in the audience. This is when a cute, furry animal is singing an adorable song, but then gets abruptly eaten by a black panther. This may frighten children. I really cannot think of anything else that is bad in this movie. I give Rio 2 4 out of 5 stars.
Parent of a 4, 9, and 11 year old Written byFairforme April 26, 2014

Movie op

I took all of my kids plus a couple of friends to this movie in Portland and they all adored it.
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2014

Fun for the whole family!

I myself did in fact enjoy the film. The music was fun and catchy and the other younger children in the theatre were laughing at all the jokes. There are a few inappropriate jokes made throughout the film, but no one seemed to notice. They are a few scary scenes for younger kids though. Two adults are tied to a tree but are later saved, a frog tries to poison the main character but it's later revealed that she is not actually poisonous, and some other minors scenes that might upset children under 5. In all it was a fun film for the whole family!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjasgreg12 April 12, 2014

Rio 2, A Great Sequel

Very good movie. At the beginning I would say it kind of starts slow but picks up with humor and all the musical numbers.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLiaAndStitch August 10, 2014
This movie I watched with my five year old brother and seven year old sister. It was a good family movie and the worst part in the movie was when they tied the two conservationists to a tree that was marked to be knocked down illegally. It's your typical ending with the good guys winning and saving the places where the birds live.
Adult Written byCoasterfan312 August 29, 2014

I don't get why it gets such bad reviews from some people.

It has some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard, a nice storyline (especially for a sequel - sequels are not easy), and varies enough from the first to not seem repetitive. It still has plenty of humorous moments - granted, some of them seem a tad forced, but it doesn't ruin it at all. I'd highly recommend it. PS. It even felt like it had slight educational value about deforestation, though fictional.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywww.rottentomatoes.c July 16, 2014

Rotten Tomatoes

OK
Kid, 11 years old May 18, 2014

It's on the Amazon

This is a good family movie that you can take your kids to. It is appropriate for almost anybody (saying that it is rated G,) and can be enjoyed by a lot of people. The only thing is that there is a tiny bit of violence, that's all.
Parent Written bykattia April 28, 2014
Teen, 15 years old Written byKendrahXo April 25, 2014

Awesome family movie

I went to see this movie with my family. Naturally, being a teen, I wasn't too keen on this movie, and honestly, it wasn't the best. A lot of people in my grade enjoyed it, but it wasn't my cup of tea. My younger sister, however (7 years old), loved it. My parents also really enjoyed it. This movie isn't scary, and there aren't any love scenes that will make the younger kids feel gross or awkward. There are some scenes where I was thinking, "Wait...this shouldn't be in a kids movie..." The wife of the main character, Blu, spends time with a life long "buddy" who seems to flirt around with her. Blu gets a little jealous but doesn't do very much about it. I realized later that the relationships between the characters just add to the plot. There are good, positive messages through-out the film and a lot of celebs star in it. Interesting plot that flowed slowly, but it was overall fine. I really liked how they made the audience aware of what was happening in the jungles and what destruction humans are doing to the trees and habitats. Good movie, just not for teens (clearly for a younger audience), 3 stars.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNikki Fletcher April 22, 2014

Rio 2 Review

Rio 2 is such a fantastic film. I think any age could follow the plot easily and will love it. There are only a few predators, but no one gets hurt or killed. The soundrack is so fun and every child will love it more than Frozen's.
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2015

Good Movie

Good movie that teaches about birds, teaches good messages about getting involved in sports, meeting family, and not stuffing your face in electronics. Good show for all ages, but quality is pretty darn off.
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2014

very cool.

very good and the movie is about 5 birds go to the amazon too find more blue birds.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Not as good as the first, but harmless fun

Movie Title: Rio 2 G, 1 hour 41 minutes Grade: C+ In a Nutshell: Forgettable. Young children will be entertained, although the 4 year old sitting behind me kept asking his mother “Can we go home?” That’s a not a good sign coming from the target audience. Theme: Birds of a feather flock together? Humans are evil and destroy the planet. (I’m getting really tired of hearing that from every movie I see lately.) Brazil is always ready for a party. Things I liked: The colors are bright and fun, like watching a box of Fruit Loops explode on the big screen. I loved all the Brazilian tropical fruits, nuts, plants, and local products on display. The animation of the water in the Amazon River looked terrific. The only scene that made me laugh out loud was the talent show audition scene. I thought all of the hats Nico tried on were cute. I’m assuming Jamie Foxx’s character had a larger role in the first Rio? I never saw it. Jesse Eisenberg is capable of playing smooth geniuses (The Social Network and Now You See Me ), as well as unconfident underdogs. Beautiful aerial views of Brazil. I loved the montage of paper pop-up maps as they traveled through the landscapes and cities. It makes me want to plan a trip to the country. The feathers on all of the birds’ heads were well designed and allowed the characters to distinguish their personalities one from the other. The beaks also had impressive detail. There is a sleepy sloth who sings super fast rap. Have you ever heard a sloth squeak in real life? Totally adorable. I thought the Capoeira turtles were hilarious. Check out this video about Brazilian Capoeira. Things I didn’t like: I never saw the first Rio . There is a quick flashback from the first movie to let you know why the cockatiel has a grudge against Blu, but I still felt like I was missing something…like why the first one was popular. There are minor characters in this movie that were obviously carried over from the first, but since I hadn’t seen the first one, I didn’t feel a bond with them. Their roles are not that strong in the sequel and didn’t add much to the story. Many of the actors were underutilized, especially the terrific singing talents of Kristen Chenowith, Jamie Fox, Anne Hathaway, and will.i.am. There were several songs, but most of them were too short for children to fall in love with or know how to sing them at home (like everyone is STILL doing with the soundtrack from Frozen .) I couldn’t understand the lyrics in the “big” musical number sung by all the birds, making it even more difficult for the audience to leave the theater repeating them. Kristen Chenoweth’s song was quite operatic, something a little girl is probably not going to be able to duplicate very well. Her character’s little frog mouth had cute vibrato while she was singing though and I could hear children in the audience repeating her occasional funny lines. This little lethal lover is sure to be the standout of the movie with children who beg for movie merchandising. Bruno Mars sings, but it lasts less than 30 seconds as well. With all this voice and singing talent, why didn’t director Carlos Saldanha really take advantage of it? Monkeys are usually scene stealers, but in this movie they’re not even cute. I can’t stand all that disgusting drool on the dog. Why would anyone want a dog that salivates that much all over anything? The animation was good though. The anteater’s tongue was pretty gross. Cleverly used throughout the movie, but still gross. Inspiring lines: “Happy wife. Happy life.” True. The movie shows the sacrifices Blu is willing to make for his family. Jewel, his "significant other", scolds him for being selfish, but she doesn't sacrifice a single thing for him in this movie. It goes both ways to have a happy life. Funny lines: “We’ll attack at the midnight hour, because it’s more evil.” - Nigel We are going to the Amazon…yay! (Blu) Pedro says “Like the website?” “Wow. Nigel es muy macho.” - Gabi “I’ll be pooping on your party pronto.” – Nigel “It’s a spoon and a fork. Be afraid. Be very afraid.” – Blu “Put down the spork.” - Tiago “I love it when you get all dark and brooding.” - Gabi Tips for parents: There isn’t as much adult humor to keep you entertained, as other animated films out there right now, such as Mr. Peabody and Sherman, but you can always get a nap out of it. I almost dozed off a few times, but maybe I was just tired? There are a couple of jokes about poo, but otherwise, the language is perfectly clean. Thankfully, nobody flips the bird in this film. Your children will be preached to about environmentalism. The “camera” zooms in on this “No entrance” sign, which most children won’t understand. “No entrar” means no entrance in Portuguese. Now you can tell your kids and they'll think you're super smart.