All member reviews for Rise of the Guardians

Holiday icons defend childhood in gorgeous adventure.

Parent Written bymamanas November 21, 2012

Not for the younger kids.

I think this is something for kids age 7 or 8. One of mine was younger and she came with it stating: "the black man is bad". And of course Jack Frost was white so we really had to get in depth to try to make sure that she did not associate black with being bad.
Parent Written byVBM November 24, 2012

Pitch's horses are far scarier then CSM's initial review would lead one to believe.

It's definitely one that you should read about and determine if your kids would be okay with. There were some parts that I worried would scare my youngest son, but he was fine. After, he said: "There was a bad guy with scary horses," but then he moved on to talk about the parts that were really beautiful. It's a gorgeous movie, but there are definitely some very scary parts--the villain’s goal was to replace hope with fear in children, so that doesn't help. It's also very fast, so if your kids are sensory-sensitive, this might not be the movie for them. My guys are okay with stuff like that, but I was still a bit worried when Pitch came on the screen. Notice in CSM's review, they don’t mention much about just how scary Pitch's stallions are. This site is usually spot-on, so I was surprised when they first came on the screen.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byNina_E November 22, 2012

The film is visually beautiful, and I left the theater with a smile.

My 8 year old said, "That was a good movie. I liked it." As for myself, I think I actually loved it. The characters are well done and creatively imagined. Good conquers evil in the end, and needless fear and paranoia are banished (if only we could do this with politics in the grown-up world!). Characters are in peril at times, but there is no gore. Different personalities learn to work together and get along. It's a lovely little film.
Parent Written byMaryGould4814 November 24, 2012

Frightening, negative, violent and teaches kids they are victims.

Favorite fairy tale characters (Santa, Tooth Fairy,etc.) portrayed as vengeful, murderous superheros that violently attack ominous, all powerful Fear (Bogeyman) so that victimized, powerless children will still believe in them. Frightening, confusing, emotionally/visually/conceptually overwhelming and totally inappropriate for children younger than 10. Driven by a negative world view of people as hapless victims of powerlessness: inevitable nightmares, deep-rooted hate, spiritual deception. Portrays fear as more powerful than trust in self, love and all things good. I feel pity for the young audiences that will see this movie and digest it as real life. Plus, Santa calls someone a blow hard. Ugh.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCubbys Mom November 23, 2012

Tattooed Santa??

Why does Santa have to be tattooed? Strong, confident, able to kick the bad guys hinny is great. Is it so "normal" now to deface your body that even the most benign symbols of innocence and joy has to be tattooed?
Kid, 9 years old November 25, 2012

look down

I saw this movie with my friends and brothers in the theaters today and i thought it was just OK i for sure think Wreck-It Ralph is better and if you are looking for a movie to see go see that instead. Boogeyman is very scary and this movie is violent for a kids movie and i dont recommend it for kids under 9 or maybe 8. it manages to give out a good message about identity and courage.
Parent Written bybellfamily627 December 7, 2012

New Classic

I adored this film. I took my children to see the movie yesterday in a mostly empty theatre (sadly for the film, great for us) and loved every moment. There are a few intense scenes for kids under 7, and a couple of tear jerkers for the very sensitive, but they added, rather than took away from the film experience. The animation is phenomenal, the acting is spot-on, and the character of Jack is one that will be remembered for a life-time. This is truly a new children's classic.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bydulpurp November 29, 2012

Fantastic animation, fun film if you don't think about it much.

Enjoyed the fantastic animation, at times this movie was just visually stunning. My 6-year-old actually was less scared of the boogie man and his nightmares (get it?, "mare"=horse) than he was of the alien bugs and machine guns in Wreck-It Ralph. Most people will probably view this film on the surface as an action-filled Avengers-esque romp about hope triumphing over fear. My kid isn't old enough, but here's what it would be fun to discuss with older kids, though: is it good for kids to believe in things like the tooth fairy? Why do you think there is zero mention of anything related to Christianity despite Easter and Christmas playing a prominent role in the film? If Jack is a Guardian, when you learn about his past, does it make you think about the other Guardians' early lives? Why can't fear and hope coexist in the same world?
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bykshRox November 25, 2012

What is your center

My teenage girls (15) enjoyed this very much. I also enjoyed it very much. An engaging tale with a multiple positive messages and very creative twists updating the traditional images for our holiday figures. I especially enjoyed them being strong and assertive characters rather than washed out and pacified. I particularly enjoyed the theme of finding your center or knowing yourself and what it is that defines you.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byPlastics December 24, 2012

Don't expect a happy holiday film!

I was terribly disappointed! A Christmas movie with a Santa clause with Tatoos and wielding two swords!? Violent and dark with nightmare Stallions and constant fighting/battling. Is this what we must expect for children's holiday movies now!? What a shame!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byjenanli November 25, 2012

Great movie, great story.

I loved this movie. I thought it was pretty empowering for the kids to know that they have control, in a sense, of what they can choose to scare them or not. (I won't explain further so I don't ruin the ending). There were two times my girls got a little sad, but as it should, it all turned out ok in the end.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 November 24, 2012

Solid animated holiday flick!

What kid doesn't like Santa, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, etc? So when all 3 (and then some) clash together into one whole movie? Your child will probably be begging you to take them to this one. Although the villain is Pitch (The Boogeyman) who strives on children's fear, the movie is very family-friendly. Be aware that Pitch is somewhat creepy and his black horses especially may scare very young viewers. Violence does not include any blood, gunfire, or stabbings but uses magic for most of it's violence - such as Jack Frosts' staff which can turn anything into ice he wishes to. (SPOILER ALERT:) There is also a major character death that may be quite upsetting considering the character was the scene stealer, but that character later comes back to life. There is minor flirting and a quick eye-gazing scene, but no kissing. Language is limited to "bloody" which comes out of the Australian Easter Bunny's mouth somewhat frequently as well as "coward" and "go suck on an egg" which Pitch uses to insult the Easter Bunny. As lots of children's movies do, this movie provides a great message in not only believing in "The Guardians" but also Jack's transformation into a Guardian after basically playing the evil invisible trickster his whole (inhuman) life. Overall, Rise of the Guardians is a very good holiday children's film that all ages will enjoy - even you, the parent!
Kid, 12 years old November 25, 2012

great message for youngsters

keep believing is all i have to say
Kid, 9 years old November 24, 2012

Don't take 5 year olds or Younger!

This is a great movie but it might be scary for the younger kids to see Santa, the Easter bunny,Sand Man and the tooth fairy fighting with pitch. As you can see I selected language but that is just making fun of people and teasing. My 5 year old little brother and I saw it together but he got scared 40 min. in the movie. I will say he is always emotional though. I selected violence for Santa using swords and the Easter bunny using sharp boomerangs. There are no explosions or guns at all. If your younger kids see this remember to tell them that the guardians didn't actually get hurt or anything. That it was all pretend.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoking-jay November 23, 2012

eh, I would try

this movie has some scary parts that can frighten younger ones quite a bit. :( this movie was just like many other movies, a happy ending. the whole family could predict what's going to happen next.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFrootloopsky November 22, 2012

Five stars!

It is the best movie I have ever seen, honestly it is my new favorite movie! I laughed and cried and enjoined every second. I'm 15 and went with my grandma and two younger siblings that are 10 and 11 and they all absolutely loved it. The graphics were positively beautiful and the voices were fantastic...perfect family movie! I'm defiantly going to go see it again! <3 Jack Frost <3
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2012

Rise of the Guardians (SPOILERS)

This was a pretty good movie. It was better than I expected. The story was really cute, and the script was well written. Thought I didn't think it was that much of a Christmas movie. The Guardians are very positive role models, they risk everything for the children of the world (one even dies). Though the Guardians are very positive role models, Pitch is a negative one. He is willing to terrorize the children of the world just to be believed in. I personally didn't find anything in this movie scary, but some kids might find the sequences in which Pitch's nightmare horses are present frightening. Some rude comments are said, but there really wasn't any profanity. So overall this was a pretty good movie for family night.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bySongbird21 January 19, 2013

I am, for once, happily proven wrong.

When I saw the commercials for this movie I thought "Santa and the Easter bunny as actions heros? That's just stupid." But my sister, who had seen it 3 times by that point, said she'd pay for my ticket if I would only give the movie a chance...I am SO beyond glad that I did. The story is brilliant and has a lot of heart. The animation is top notch and the acting is right on. Please see this movie. It truly is a hidden gem.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySienna D. December 3, 2012

Definately on my top 5!

I'm 13 and went to see this movie yesterday, and it's definately up there on my top 5 Christmas movies!! My friends who have seen it also enjoy it as well! I absolutely loved it! Some parts were expected, but some were totally unexpected as well. The animation was pretty amazing, I've seen better, but it didn't really distract me. Each characters' personality was unique in it's own way and nearly all were great role models, except of course Pitch Black (The Boogyman). There were a few scenes with very minor flirting and one eye-gaze moment, but it's nothing kids can't handle. Some sensitive kids may find some scenes, like fighting with Pitch, to be mildly disturbing, but I think it's kid-friendly! The best part is that it's not mainly focused on Christmas, more about believing, so you can watch it anytime of the year without it feeling out of place! It's also great for adults and teens! I also already made plans to go see it again next weekend, it's that good! Enjoy!
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byannasgot3 November 24, 2012

Great story, beautiful animation, some scary scenes with the Boogie Man

Our 5, 8 and 10 year olds (AND mom and dad) all really enjoyed this movie. Great for family movie night! The 2 girls liked it more than "Wreck It Ralph", and they really enjoyed that movie too. There was some "perilous" scenes that would probably scare some children. And, for better or for worse, I would say this cemented my kids belief in Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and Jack Frost. I would see this again and recommend it to others.