All member reviews for Rise of the Guardians

Kid, 9 years old November 25, 2012

look down

I saw this movie with my friends and brothers in the theaters today and i thought it was just OK i for sure think Wreck-It Ralph is better and if you are looking for a movie to see go see that instead. Boogeyman is very scary and this movie is violent for a kids movie and i dont recommend it for kids under 9 or maybe 8. it manages to give out a good message about identity and courage.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 November 24, 2012

Solid animated holiday flick!

What kid doesn't like Santa, The Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, etc? So when all 3 (and then some) clash together into one whole movie? Your child will probably be begging you to take them to this one. Although the villain is Pitch (The Boogeyman) who strives on children's fear, the movie is very family-friendly. Be aware that Pitch is somewhat creepy and his black horses especially may scare very young viewers. Violence does not include any blood, gunfire, or stabbings but uses magic for most of it's violence - such as Jack Frosts' staff which can turn anything into ice he wishes to. (SPOILER ALERT:) There is also a major character death that may be quite upsetting considering the character was the scene stealer, but that character later comes back to life. There is minor flirting and a quick eye-gazing scene, but no kissing. Language is limited to "bloody" which comes out of the Australian Easter Bunny's mouth somewhat frequently as well as "coward" and "go suck on an egg" which Pitch uses to insult the Easter Bunny. As lots of children's movies do, this movie provides a great message in not only believing in "The Guardians" but also Jack's transformation into a Guardian after basically playing the evil invisible trickster his whole (inhuman) life. Overall, Rise of the Guardians is a very good holiday children's film that all ages will enjoy - even you, the parent!
Kid, 12 years old November 25, 2012

great message for youngsters

keep believing is all i have to say
Kid, 9 years old November 24, 2012

Don't take 5 year olds or Younger!

This is a great movie but it might be scary for the younger kids to see Santa, the Easter bunny,Sand Man and the tooth fairy fighting with pitch. As you can see I selected language but that is just making fun of people and teasing. My 5 year old little brother and I saw it together but he got scared 40 min. in the movie. I will say he is always emotional though. I selected violence for Santa using swords and the Easter bunny using sharp boomerangs. There are no explosions or guns at all. If your younger kids see this remember to tell them that the guardians didn't actually get hurt or anything. That it was all pretend.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoking-jay November 23, 2012

eh, I would try

this movie has some scary parts that can frighten younger ones quite a bit. :( this movie was just like many other movies, a happy ending. the whole family could predict what's going to happen next.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFrootloopsky November 22, 2012

Five stars!

It is the best movie I have ever seen, honestly it is my new favorite movie! I laughed and cried and enjoined every second. I'm 15 and went with my grandma and two younger siblings that are 10 and 11 and they all absolutely loved it. The graphics were positively beautiful and the voices were fantastic...perfect family movie! I'm defiantly going to go see it again! <3 Jack Frost <3
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2012

Rise of the Guardians (SPOILERS)

This was a pretty good movie. It was better than I expected. The story was really cute, and the script was well written. Thought I didn't think it was that much of a Christmas movie. The Guardians are very positive role models, they risk everything for the children of the world (one even dies). Though the Guardians are very positive role models, Pitch is a negative one. He is willing to terrorize the children of the world just to be believed in. I personally didn't find anything in this movie scary, but some kids might find the sequences in which Pitch's nightmare horses are present frightening. Some rude comments are said, but there really wasn't any profanity. So overall this was a pretty good movie for family night.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySienna D. December 3, 2012

Definately on my top 5!

I'm 13 and went to see this movie yesterday, and it's definately up there on my top 5 Christmas movies!! My friends who have seen it also enjoy it as well! I absolutely loved it! Some parts were expected, but some were totally unexpected as well. The animation was pretty amazing, I've seen better, but it didn't really distract me. Each characters' personality was unique in it's own way and nearly all were great role models, except of course Pitch Black (The Boogyman). There were a few scenes with very minor flirting and one eye-gaze moment, but it's nothing kids can't handle. Some sensitive kids may find some scenes, like fighting with Pitch, to be mildly disturbing, but I think it's kid-friendly! The best part is that it's not mainly focused on Christmas, more about believing, so you can watch it anytime of the year without it feeling out of place! It's also great for adults and teens! I also already made plans to go see it again next weekend, it's that good! Enjoy!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydoglovermegan12 August 19, 2013

A Great Movie :)

It's a very good movie to watch as a family and has some good messages to share. If you're a parent concerned about violence, there are a few parts with Pitch's stallions you may want to watch before you show your kid, but it's not to scary. I'm 17 and this is one of the first animated movies I've seen in a while and it brought a smile to my face that wouldn't go away all night.
Kid, 8 years old June 17, 2015

Fun kids movie is entertaining but very dark and creepy with lots of violence.

My rating:PG-13 for intense violence.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2014

Messed Up

Just take what you know about Santa, or the tooth fairy, or something like that and turn it into something you would have never expected. When the Tooth Fairy is really humming bird woman, Santa is a street thug rather than a jolly old man, the Sandman is a mute, Jack frost, well, I never really knew much about him at all before I paid attention to life, so I cant say anything, but the Easter Bunny is an Australian Hunter. What I'm trying to say is this movie is just the 2-star DISAPPOINTING commonsense let me give it. (but that is just my opinion)
Teen, 16 years old Written byTimeBomb August 2, 2014

May be too dark for younger kids.

Rated: ON 9+ IFFY 8- OFF 4- for scary themes and some mildly suggestive humor.
Kid, 9 years old April 21, 2014

Fairey Tales Come On Blu ray 3d

This Movie Is Scary For Young Kids If you See This Movie in 3d You Might Want To Turn The Voulme down on your tv If You Have A Home Theater Souround Sound Might Scare Young Kids So Set it To Sterio
Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2013

TOOTH FAIRY?

This was one of the best easter movie ever! Children who really believe in the easter bunny and the tooth fairy they would love this movie! There are some clips in the movie that may scare little children. But it is a great movie that the whole family should see together. I saw it in my house so it is better to watch it in home
Teen, 17 years old Written byPjjackson October 19, 2013

Magical (no spoilers)

We'll welcome Santa sand man tooth fairy and The main character JACK FROST ! This a great movie for 6 year olds really on. I enjoyed this throughout of the 1hrs and 30 mins .a lot of messages and role models this is the movie for November. Some violence 2/5.
Kid, 11 years old October 1, 2013

Darker and more intense than other DreamWorks (Animatoin) films --- it should've been matched with Puss in Boots.

Hello... Epicboy21's here again. Which brings me to review today an instant DreamWorks' Animation classic - Rise of the Guardians. This is a more enhanced review of the movie. It's about a carefree guy Jack Frost (played by Star Trek (J.J. Abrams) fave, Chris Pine), a famed childhood figure, from, I bet, the parents' generation, in the myths and stuff, goes around and has fun. But, when a mysterious series of lights summon him when he's not being believed --- and others are losing belief; he goes along, and, along with Santa Claus (definitely unrecognisable Alec Baldwin), Tooth Fairy (Isla Fisher) and the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman with the proud Australian accent --- you wouldn't wanna call his character a kangaroo); he goes on a dangerous (and often dark, intense and somewhat violent) mission to defeat Pitch Black. Oh, and add the silent Sandman. The educational value --- age 5 --- because, the figures are historical after all; and they have their fair share of hilarious moments (some quite awkward.). Besides, it entertains rather than educates. With the positive messages --- AGE 6, because while the Guardians try to stop Pitch Black (a.k.a. the Boogeyman,), he gets away with turning a dream into a nightmare before the Guardians try to stop him. But, ultimately, Jack IS a bit Star-Trek-like (the J.J. Abrams version, remember). CSM is right about the comparison of a loner joining a team and becoming better at their skills. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS include all the Guardians --- they can go to extremes, or, MAYBE, bring imagination back to the children of the world. To see, watch the film for yourself. (Sorry this review's so long, but it'll help.). Oh, and the violence part. PAUSE 8! This is one of two most concerning aspects of the film --- a boy (nearly) drowns, swords and magic powder are used to fight, and, this is one family picks that deals with the matter of death. Keep reading, as I won't spoil anything, except after the spoiler alert sign. Also, kids might worry about the whole "losing power" concept and for parents, the "religion" concept if families are sensitive about that stuff. Swords are used, and in the scariness part, the Black Sand Minions (BSM) are pretty scary, but not as scary as other films. Also, formulas of breaking spirits and reversing good, light-hearted powers can be both unnerving for religion-sensitive parents and/or scary for kids. None of the violence and scary parts are what you'd call "bloody" (which is also British/Australian swearing); but, also, dreamy horses turning bad can be scary in a nightmare (this bit's in the trailer.). SEXY STUFF A bit of flirting, nothing much more. LANGUAGE "Bloody" isn't used in context of wounds, but in the context of Australian/British slang. They use this twice, but this may not be considered swearing in the U.S. of A. (After all, I'm from Downunder) CONSUMERISM There may be merchandise out there, but nothing in the movie. I'm not even gonna put an age on this issue. It doesn't matter. I've been exposed to ads all my life and I haven't been affected. But if it's really affecting you, I told you before. None in the movie, but in the real world, yes. (Unless you count idol Jack Frost in the DreamWorks logo.). Anyway, good comedy, drama, action and romance that won't make kids go "yuck". Everything's right, but a slight problem --- the complexity of the plot should've got an inspiration to complicate just like brother Puss in Boots. Oh, and, anyone who doesn't normally stick around for the credits, stick around. A moving score and humorous mid-credits scenes. Drinking, drugs and smoking is the use of magic to change dreams and substances, but nothing else and/or more. (UPDATE: This is a good, less violent alternative to Marvel's The Avengers (or, for, anyone from UK or Ireland, the same movie ---- Avengers Assemble.). People who haven't seen it yet, from this point forward on the review, I will describe spoilers while reviewing, so don't read on unless you don't care about spoiling the film. --- SPOILER ALERTS AHEAD! --- --- SPOILERS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- This further review is for parents/kids who've actually seen it and want a re-view of the movie's content for suitability. For example: The movie begins with a flashback of Jack Frost drowning, and in a later flashback, when Jack Frost is regaining memories from Pitch, this drowning scene's shown again, as he tries to save his sister; he transforms rather than dies; Sandman dies but is resurrected at the end of it. Also, they hold a short funeral for him, the Guardians are willing to sacrifice themselves and there's a big, fat, happy ending (compulsory to many Hollywood movies.). Also, Pitch Black returns for a brief moment before disappearing, there's themes about religion and death and this is darker than other DreamWorks (Animation) films, and, more intense --- it shoulda stayed on par with the complexity of Puss in Boots (PIB) to match it. --- SPOILER ALERTS HAVE ALL ENDED! ----- Thank you for sticking around, everyone. MPAA RATING, PG - Thematic elements and some mildly scary action.
Kid, 11 years old August 29, 2013

Good for kids around 8-11. Two use of mild profanity.

Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2013

Rise of the Reviewers: My Review For ROTG

Hi guys! TheCanadianCat22 here with my review for Rise of the Guardians. So, this story starts with the Guardians- a group of legendary heroes hailing from your childhood- yup, you guessed it! Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and the Sandman are returning from fond memories of Christmas mornings and Easter egg hunts, but are coming back in a new style. Here, Santa (Or North, as he is known as in the movie) is brave and bold, and sports a thick Russian accent (Courtesy of Alec Baldwin), Naughty and Nice tattoos on his muscular arms, and wields swords against his opponents. The Easter Bunny's (AKA E. Easter Bunnymund, or Bunny) thick Australian accent (Thank you, Hugh Jackman!), boomerangs and egg bombs, and large size has earned him the nickname 'Easter Kangaroo', courtesy of Jack Frost. Then there's the silent Sandman who, despite his muteness, is very funny and, dare I say it, one of the best characters in the movie. Sanderson Mansnoozie, or Sandy, can make anything and everything out of his magical dream sand, and though he has a bad habit of falling asleep in the middle of the day, he wields his sand whips in battle and proves to be a deadly opponent. Toothiana ''Tooth'', or Tooth Fairy as you know her as (Voiced by Isla Fisher), is hyper and outgoing, and her beautiful multicolored feathers sure earned some awed gasps from moi. She has a strong love for teeth- which happen to hold memories of the children they belong to-, and her little Mini Teeth as I like to call them (Smaller more bird-like versions of herself) help her collect them. The humming bird-woman also seems to have taken a liking to Jack- or at least his snow white teeth. And, finally, Jack Frost (Voiced by Chris Pine. Familiar, fellow Trekkies? Dif-tor heh smusa!). You might know him from the song, but this movie turns some random guy ''nipping on your nose'' into a lonesome, brave, and mischievous white haired snow spirit who has the ability to control winter, and has stolen the hearts of many fangirls (Excluding me, I'm more of a Bunny fan.). See, Jack Frost has been alone for about 300 years, and yet he still doesn't know his purpose OR his past, his name being given to him by the ever-so-mysterious Man in the Moon (or Manny, as North calls him). Well, that's mostly what this movie is about. See, the Man in the Moon decides it's time for a new guardian- Jack Frost! Unfortunately, Jack doesn't want to be a Guardian- but suddenly he's thrown into this epic battle between Pitch Black (The Boogeyman, brought to you by Jude Law) and The Guardians. Add that and trying to find his center, Yetis making the toys instead of elves, Bunny turning into a cute little rabbit, Pitch's missing eyebrows, and you've got an epic movie. See, ever since they started releasing the trailers for the movie, I'd been dying to see it. So when my class decided to visit the movie theater and watch it, I was ecstatic! I had high hopes for this movie, and it sure didn't disappoint (Though I'm a little embarrassed to watch it with my parents, truthfully). Pitch is an amazing villain, fueled by a motive for everybody to see him as more than a fairytale. I can definitely sympathize with him (Despite the fact that he SPOILER ALERT killed Sandy, even though the Sandman came back to life). Everybody associates fear with evil, but they don't realize that fear kept us from jumping off the garage roof when we were 7 just because of a dare, that fear keeps us from walking alone in dark alleys where a terrorist is waiting for our next victim, that fear is needed in the world! Unfortunately, Pitch has been through what Jack has been through, except way longer and way worse, so he decides to tip the balance. Who can blame him? Well, apparently the Guardians can, because they hop into action right away. It's obvious to tell Pitch and Sandy are deep enemies, and it appears Pitch even has a slight fear of the short man. This film is jam-packed with a bunch of positive messages- find out what defines you, you're never alone, believe, face your fears, etc. Your kids might find the movie a little sad, and there is some violence in the movie- but no blood or gore or anything like that. Pitch may seem a little overwhelming (And his nightmares, though cool, are kind of terrifying for young viewers), and young children might think that he's a bit scary, though not so much when they discover his missing eyebrows, heh heh. Overall good movie, no language (Except 'bloody' used by the Australian rabbit *cough* kangaroo *cough*, though I can promise that if your child is at least over seven years old and goes to public school, they'll have heard it and probably worse.), no sexy stuff, not shoving merchandise down your throat... pretty epic. Oh, and ya gotta love Sophie, the little cutie of Jamie's (Jamie happens to be one of the Guardian's few believers) younger sister, and who idolizes Bunny. That's all for now. TheCanadianCat22, out!
Teen, 13 years old Written byWhales 8741 August 16, 2013

Rise of the Guardians

This is a very cute cartoon about guardians that protect children from nightmares as long as the children believe in then. This time, there is a new guardian who is not seen by the children because they do not believe in him. Jack Frost helps to save the holidays and the children. The story has positive messages about helping others, believing in yourself, believing in others, trusting others, making friends, and knowing the difference between good and evil.
Kid, 10 years old July 22, 2013

Solid animated feature is too scary for 4 & under

The movie is decent and entertaining but it also has mild violence and a scary feel. There are positive messages that are not over shadowed by the humor or action. My mpaa rating: PG for scary action and a dark theme