All member reviews for Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Occasionally violent origin story is surprisingly good.

Educator Written bytheshlaay August 7, 2011

Multi-faceted, Multi-dimensional

There are definitely positive messages in this movie involving human hubris, arrogance, oppression, fair treatment, and consequences to actions. I would recommend, but make sure to explain to children that it is NOT real and that like real people, no character is all good or all bad.
Parent Written byVAharleygirl August 8, 2011

Timely movie with nice homage to its movie-lineage.

I enjoyed it; I thought it tied in nicely w/ the original "Apes" movies, while showing a slightly more plausible origin how those could come to be. The heartbreak caused by losing a loved one to Alzheimer's was palatable as was the lengths one might go to trying to help them. The lead character tried to do the right thing, both for humanity & his ape-subjects particularly Casear, but of course you know if can't end well for everyone. Andy Serkis (of LotR Gollum fame) once again makes you forget you're seeing a CGI-enhanced being on the screen. No nudity, language was appro for a PG13 & viewer of age 12+, but the themes may not click for them that young. Shades of morality have always been part of this franchise, and "Rise" continues it - and is much more obvious about it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBONES&BOOTH4EVER August 6, 2011

Looks Great, previous was amazing

The one before this was so amazing cant wait to see this one
Parent Written byMovieDad2001 September 19, 2011

Good movie .... Very intense at times

Overall, this is a very good movie and worthy of the good reviews it has received in the media. As far as a review for your children, the online video review provided by this site is quite good and gives an excellent overview of what to expect. For the most part, violence is the area of concern in this movie. There is quite a bit of violence and agression, with most of it being between humans and apes and some of it between apes and other apes. My 10 year old son and I watched and enjoyed the movie. There were a few scenes that were a little intense for my son and he mentioned that he was "a little" scared. Before the movie, we talked about the story being fictional, that it was just a story. I think the differentiator on this movie, compared to things like Avatar and Harry Potter, the setting is modern day and the plot is explained with modern technology and science. This may make the story line a little more believable for children compared to those other movies where imagination is clearly behind the ideas. There is a lot of opportunity to have parenting conversation with your children. Animal cruelty and greed were high on my conversation list. Conversations about acceptable treatment of animals took place. We also talked about how greed can cloud judgement (big corporations wanting to make money in this case). Finally, we talked about how humans have a history of altering the balance of things in nature and how it never works out as expected. I really thought a long time about seeing this movie with my 10 year old boy. While I personally believe that this movie is less intense than others he has seen, such as the Harry Potter movies, I think the change of setting is the real difference in this movie for it being more intense for a child his age.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn September 5, 2011

Occasionally dark and violent, and ultimately upsetting to some

The long awaited Rise of the Planet of the Apes more than makes up for the ten years away from this franchise, and even that was just a remake, but this is an actual attempt to restart the franchise, and I think that they have done well with there attempts. While the tv spots originally made this movie look incredibly violent and intense, they where in fact mostly focusing on the second half of the movie, where the revolution between the humans and the apes is taking place. While, yes, it is still fairly violent and at times quiet upsetting, the whole movie is not non-stop action, as it does take some time to breath and actually becomes very smart and well done. Even so, the ending isn't really a happy one as you would have obviously guessed, but aside from some very infrequent profanity, there really isn't all that much else to worry about. Most teens should love it and the ingenious way that it tells us the origins of the story, but may be a little too upsetting for much younger viewers.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

The movie is great, but it does have scary and violent moments.

Apes attack people and kill them and the movie might frighten young kids.
Adult Written bykeeyan January 31, 2012

apes

i love this movie
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymumu August 8, 2011

Not bad

The violence was mildly disturbing to my 11 year old animal loving daughter but not overly so. It was not as stupid as I feared it would be, so it's a movie the family can enjoy together.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2015

Very good movie

There is violence but only in the end.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byluvmykids100 July 27, 2014

Eh

The movie was very appropriate for my 13 year old son, but he got very bored watching this movie. Nothing too exciting.m
Adult Written byDr.Pepper December 26, 2011

Surprisingly good reboot

This movie has plenty of violence including deaths of both humans and apes. Parents of animal loving kids be warned: there are lots of scenes of apes being hurt. The language is tame for being PG-13, with a hand full of "hell"s and"d@mn"'s (with and without "god" attached) and one each of the s-word and @$$. The movie was virtually sex free with a couple kissing being as bad as it gets.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymamacat531 December 15, 2011

Good movie, not for young kids

I really enjoyed this movie... it was well done and thought provoking, but i think it could be too troubling for kids younger than mid-teen.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Can be suitable for young children, depending on the child.

Compared to the orginal story line of Planet of the Apes, this movie definitely wasn't what I expected it to be. However, the movie was still pretty good. The movie does include a lot of violence and some language, which may be unsuitable for some children. The movie is sexual-content free aside from a few little kisses. I feel that the movie should be appropriate for most children 10 and up. If a child is easily scared or may be bothered by violence, then I wouldn't suggest letting them watch it though. It may be a good idea, if you have a young child, to watch the movie first before deciding if it's an okay choice for your child.
Parent Written bycleanmoviemama August 30, 2011

not too violent more action filled, good for older kids and families

I'm a mom who myself doesn't feel comfortable watching many pg-13 movies, but I liked this. there is no sex or innuendo at all. there is fighting, but in most cases no killing. The mean keeper accidently electricuts himself. And you see one gorilla get shot and die. you also see a helicoptor of people shooting the apes go down. That is all the death. its more action than real violence in most cases. There is shooting going on and fighting, but not much actual confrontation. The keeper (tom felton aka Draco Malfoy) is mean and does little abusive things. Something you can talk about with your older children and acknowledge how inhumane it is. While some of the apes are more caring than the humans. There is one ape who has been in a lab for a long time, and is sort of evil. Good chance to talk about the difference between him and the main ape who doesn't want anyone human or ape to get hurt. I wouldn't take children under 8-10 because they won't be able to follow the complex story and understand the fight. They would get scared, but if you understand what's going on I don't think you'd get scared. The main ape makes a point not to kill or let other's kill they just want to get to somewhere where they can be free. I really liked that. There is a little swearing, but on the low end side in my opinion (and I'm strict with swearing). I didn't notice much OMG, it was mainly like the h*** and d***. It's one of the few pg-13 movies that passes my test. I found it was mainly pg-13 for the thematic elements and being able to understand what was going on. Don't take your kids under 8. They'll just get an unrealistic fear of apes. definately glad i didn't take my kids
Parent of a 10 year old Written bynessa3210 August 20, 2011

Okay For Some Kids But Has Violence. ENJOYED THE MOVIE!

I can see the positive messages here and I explained them to my son. The family plays awesome role models, with his care for the ape. There is alot of violence in the film, but I didn't click on the violence button, because I didn't think that it was too much. Some may feel that it is inappropriate to take someone as young as 11 to this. It depends on how the child feels about murder scenes, because there are a few. I don't recommend taking the kids out to see it, but I still didn't think it was that bad. I am picky about not leting my son see films that are too graphic. There were about two scenes were he was a bit scared and I regreted taking him, but those scences went by fast and in the end he liked it. There are no sex scenes. As for drinking, at one point someone carries a beer box, but that is it. The only drugs are the ones that the father is having injected for alzhiemers and the injections the monkeys recieve in the lab. Most of the bad characters lose at the end. I didn't want to see this movie. I didn't think that I was going to like it, but now I can say I really enjoyed this movie.It had good messages.
Parent Written by80sgreenblog August 11, 2011

"Great Apes"

Great movie. Apes is one of the better remade movies I have seen in quite some time. It delivers the heart,action and thrills just when the viewer wants it to. Funny and heart warming. I hope their are more "Ape" movies to come,that are as well crafted as this one, maybe better.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez August 7, 2011

13 and up.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a good science fiction movie good for your young teens and parents the only thing you need to worry about in this movie is the animal violence in this movie and some mild language used the role model is that Will is a hardworking visionary who wants to help cure diseases at work and comes home to take care of his ill father. He's not perfect, but he's disciplined, kind, and intelligent. Caesar himself is more "human" than some of the human characters. He's thoughtful, generous, and thinks everything through strategically. He only uses violence when threatened as opposed to for sport.
Adult Written bybdh August 7, 2011

good clever movie

good clever movie
Written byAnonymous July 25, 2014

Great C.G.I!

This is an action packed movie where apes are battling humans. there are a few various swear words being used but it isn't frequent. There is one scene where a ape shoots two men point blank although no blood is shown after they are shot you can see their bodies after. There is another scene where the ape Kobo grabs a younger ape and throws him off from a large height, this scene may be intense to younger audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlueHorse July 23, 2013

Touching

This was a heartbreaking movie. Well, to me at least. I have a huge place in my heart for animals and this movie was a real tearjerker. The violence and animal abuse is a bit much for younger kids. Know your kid before wtching it with them.