All member reviews for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Solid effort weighed down by bloodshed.

Action Packed Adventure for ages 12 and up!

Robin Hood Prince of Thieves contains plently of sex, violence, and language, making the movie not appropriate for anyone under the ages of 12 or 13 (it depends on your child). The whole movie is violent, and there are several frightening bits. Language like "blimey!" is frequent, until we get closer to the end and people start saying real bad words. The sexual content comes from, surprisingly, not Robin and Marain, but the Sheriff and Marian. At the end of the film, the Sheriff attempts to rape Marian in order to impregnate her, for, once he has a child of royal blood, he will be king. He doesn't actually suceed (the moment is interrupted by Robin crashes through a window), but he gets close enough. So, I'll leave it up to you on this one. But, in all honesty, you should probably watch this movie before deciding, because parental reviews really can't tell you a lot about this movie. You'll like it, but maybe your kids should wait awhile.
Adult Written byMovie Man September 16, 2009

Fantastic Movie! Fun for (Almost) All Ages! Very Violent, Though.

I love this movie. It is entertaining, funny, and overall enthralling. I highly reccomend it. The action is fun and the acting is great. Yes, it is long, but it's worth it. PARENTS: this is a very violent film; it is not a PG-rated family film; there's blood, dismemberments, and assaults. Please, watch it with your kids. Thanks for reading. -Movie Man
Teen, 13 years old Written bySapphireWatermelon January 8, 2014

Okay I guess

This movie wasn't amazing but it was not terrible... There are some scary-ish and creepy parts. *cough*Mortianna*cough* The scene where they're about to hang a group of people, including a child, frightened me a little but that's just me. Robin Hood himself was kind of boring. Mariam becomes a damsel in distress in the end when the Sheriff forces her to get married to him because he wants power and she is related to the king, and is almost raped. Azeem was cool, though, and I did stay interested in the film for the most part.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOGORMAN May 6, 2012

Robin Hood rendition is a bullseye!

Ok so normally I'm not a huge Kevin Costner fan but I did enjoy this the first time I watched it, and since then I have watched it many times with my dad (we both love it, a large part of our father daughter bonding time is spent watching older movies from when he was younger). Now, whoever wrote the main review for this movie missed quite a few things that, as parents and concerned readers, you should know. Starting with the least: A pregnant woman goes into labor and because the baby is breeched they must perform surgery on her, and there were no anesthetics back then... Ouch. The only blood shown is when the baby is first held up. There is also the matter of Morgan Freeman's character... Nothing having to do with the attitude or beliefs, but the issue that some of the other characters have with him being the only black man they've likely ever seen. One young character directly asks him, "Why did God paint you?" I realize this isn't a bad thing because it is actually a sweet point of the film. Although if you have younger children they might question why people are so judgmental of this character. I also want to make clear that the line that Christian Slater says when Robin flies over the wall IS "F--- me, he cleared it!" I understand that IMDb may say that the line is "blow me" but keep in mind that while IMDb is a useful resource, content and info can be altered at anytime by anyone with a membership. Because I'm an archery buff and regularly shoot around at a range near my house I was deeply enthralled with that whole aspect of the movie (yes I was into archery before I ever read/saw the Hunger Games). :) As far as favorite characters go: Will Scarlett (Slater) and Azeem (Morgan Freeman). The humor is wonderfully collaborated with the action while still keeping the true values of the original Robin Hood story at heart. To cap off my extremely long and blabbering review... I tend to do this a lot... I will talk about the attempted rape scene which takes place at the very end of the movie. I believe I was roughly 11 or 12 when I saw this for the first time with my dad. I will admit it went right over my head what was going on. I just thought she was trying to get away from him because she really didn't like him. Now that I am older and more knowledgable, I know different. It is not horribly vulgar or violent. So aside from those things, there are only a few minor issues: the scary witch (who is aforementioned in earlier reviews), medieval fighting with occasionally frightening swords and also attempted hangings of multiple characters, and yeah you do see Robin's backside while he's bathing (but it's Marian's fault for peeping in the first place! Haha). Though this may seem like a lot, if you have good kids who know what is right and wrong, and if you trust them, you should have no issues with this movie. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 15, 2011

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense violence throughout, disturbing scenes, sexuality, nudity, and frightening images.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRicochet94 May 23, 2010

Robin of the Hood

I like this version. And I like Costner's version of Robin of Locksley. It is a bit violent (a man gets his hand chopped off for stealing bread, a man is shown with his eyes removed, a man has an arrow shot clear through his hand,) and while it isn't very true to the source material, and we all know the "Rob from the rich and give to the poor" part is more socialism than chivalry. But who cares? PoT is a fun and exciting medieval epic! (And according to IMDb, the line was "Blow me, he cleared it", not "F--- me, he cleared it.)
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMom2Becca May 2, 2010

There is a cuss word.

There is one modern cuss word in this movie, and it is the big bad "F". When Robin and Azeem are catapulted over the wall of Nottingham Castle's walls, Will Scarlet declairs "**** me he cleared it."
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnonymouse Teen March 16, 2010

Good for teens but definently not for younger kids.

Exelent movie,but even alittle iffy for me to be watching during one scene,but it has positive points!
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2010

Ok...

i saw this movie when i was probably 9 or ten. it is not the best movie though. some people think its really good though. I dont remember that well, but i no there is a seen that shows robin hoods bare butt when he is bathing in some kind of waterfall or lake. there is also this kreepy witch.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUgli Chic February 23, 2010

perfect for age 12-13+

I absolutely LOVE this version of the Robin Hood legend! Even though it's not exactly historically correct (example: the Sheriff of Nottingham ruling the kingdom instead of the infamous Prince John), I like how the directors kept the script flowing smoothly. I think the violence in this movie suits the time period; some people might protest "It's TOO violent!" but I say, "Hey, it's life!" Chemistry between Robin and Maid Marian was perfect; they weren't too mushy or lovestruck-dumb. Loved the wedding scene.Sorry, I kinda hate really mushy movies, I love the strong heros and heroines:) Another reason to love Fanny and Marian: they both know how to handle swords and weaponry! A whole lot of creative warfare, and I love Robin's touch with his bow! I would recommend this movie for ages 12+ b/c amount of violence, some sorcery, and sexual content might be questionable with some people's beliefs. Also,Morgiana the witch is quite creepy, might scare younger ones; and kids may not understand what the 'Honorable' sheriff of nottingham is trying to do to Marian or why she's screaming during the attempted rape scene. That, and the fact that Marian sees Robin bathing from behind. Otherwise, it's not that bad.
Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

One of my all time favorites

This was a masterpiece with great performances by a lot of top notch actors. Romantic adventure, great fun and some humor. What's not to love?
Adult Written byclimb4time2 April 9, 2008

If only...

I gave the "sex" column a red because this is the only issue that makes it not okay for one of my children. I think the older one may be able to handle that (the attempted rape)I don't recall that anything is really shown at that time.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Entertaining and fun

This is definitely not an Oscar-winning film. That doesn't mean it isn't good though. It is entertaining and funny, and is really interesting. You really get engrossed by it. Kids 10 and up can handle the medieval violence, although you may have to explain a bit and have talk when the evil guy tries to rape a lady (nothing happens though) and it may just go in one ear and out the other.