All member reviews for Rock of Ages

Teen, 13 years old Written byharrypotter13 June 15, 2012

Nothin' but a good time...for kids 13 and up

It's PG-13, so it's meant for thirteen and up year olds. I'll give a description of things and scenes to watch out for if you're a parent of kids that are younger than 13. First, there is a ton of sex. In one scene, Stacy Jaxx and an interviewer for rolling stones magazine have sex. She is seen pulling at the string keeping his pants up by her teeth, suggesting she wants to perform oral on him. Pubic hair is glimpsed. Once she is down to her bra and panties he puts his head between her legs and...well...pretty much performs dry oral on the interviewer. Even as a thirteen year old myself, this part had me thinking we walked in to an R rated film rather than a PG-13 rated one. Half of the movie is set in a strip club, after Julianne Hough's character quits her job at "The Bourbon Room" and is struggling, she ends up becoming a stripper at the venus strip club. Pole dancing is shown, and a lot of men oggle her and grab her butt. There is the finger shown, plenty of S bombs, one F word I think, and sexual references. At one point russel brand mentions catherine zeta jones's character, saying that she was about to swallow Stacey Jaxx's "boy juices" or "boy porridge" I didn't hear correctly. There is one passionate gay kiss, and Stacy greets a lot of women by grabbing their left breast. Scantily dressed girls are constantly seen squirming all over Stacey Jaxx. In one scene near the end, the interviewer and Stacy meet again, stacy tells her to open her mouth, she does, and they end up sucking tongue and making out, eventually evolving into sex. Condoms fall over them as they writhe around in the bathroom and accidentally bump into a condom dispenser. At the end of the movie there is a concert where stacy is performing, and the interviewer is shown off stage, happily pointing to her pregnant belly. In one scene, stacy is just starting his performance. and it is shown, as an entrance, or for some form of entertainment, he is pretending to "jerk off" for the audiences pleausure, eventually concluding in the outburst of alcohol, which is supposed to be the orgasm. So, yea, overrall, not appropriate for under 13's. Perhaps an unusually mature 11 or 12 year old, but really, no one under 13. But, besides the extreme sex for a PG-13 movie, I loved it! It was great. Great acting, great singing, very funny, great music, it was just a fun time sitting through it. I recommend it to anyone 13 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 6, 2014

Dumb unfunny Broadway comedy is offensive to women

My rating:R for crude sexual content and drug use throughout
Kid, 9 years old August 6, 2014

Kid, 10 years old July 10, 2014

terrible, too much sex, too much swearing and too much drugs.

Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2014

Not so bad

Only thing you're gonna see is mild language and drinking. A lot of party drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycleanestkidyoullknow May 17, 2014

Wrong title

They should have called this movie "Musical Sex Movie with a Tom Cruise cameo". Also, it's set in a club, so there is TONS and TONS of drinking and smoking. There is so much of that bad stuff that it actually detracts from the actually GOOD stuff in the movie, like the music.
Teen, 17 years old Written byNerd345 April 1, 2014

Really Good!

This is a really good film to watch with a takeaway, let anyone 11 and up see it! 8-9 No way. 10-11 Iffy. 11-100 Certainly fine!
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2013

This is first class CRAP.

Not a god movie. I liked that music they had in the movie, that's why it's 2 stars not one, but the way they performed it was disgraceful. Only huge 80s and 90s hair metal fans should see.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydancegirl3697 May 25, 2013

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

This movie ca go either way: do you like the 80s era or not? If you dont, this movie isnot for you. If you do, then I think youll love it! However, you cnt take this movie too seriously. I absolutely LOVED iT!!!!!! The actors did amazing and the music was amazing!!!! It is one of my favorite movies ever!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byhansel23 May 8, 2013

its just PG-13

Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 March 3, 2013

Outstanding musical is cheesy at times, but funny too.

Parents need to know that this musical comedy will attract rock fans. But the movie has tons of mature content. There is no violence. There is lots of sexually suggestive content, characters dance very sexually, making it look like they are really having sex, lots of the dancing also looks very erotic, strippers are also shown dancing but no nudity is ever shown, there is also one moment where a same sex couple kiss. Characters also drink heavily and there is quite a bit of swearing.
Kid, 0 years old February 23, 2013

What Type of Movie is "Rock of Ages?"

It isn't that inappropriate. It wouldn't matter anyways, because nowadays most kids know about sex and curses and drinking. Though it does have tons of sex. In one part of the movie, there is a passionate gay kiss. Besides that, is an awesome and hilarious movie. It truly hits the musical 80's theme.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybb13 February 12, 2013

Whoa!!!! 15

This is a time of drinking and drugs- beware if you are easily influenced. There is more "sexy scenes than the R rated The Bachelorette and should be rated R not pg-13. Decent. We had to skip 4! scenes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byerica921 February 6, 2013

Rock n' roll never dies and metal never dies \m/

Good movie but i want to be a rock n' roll singer but my band is called crazy teenagers
Kid, 10 years old January 10, 2013

BAD

Sex, Hard Rock, and a terrible performance by well, everybody makes Rock of Ages a very BAD movie. It's a bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad movie. Believe me, it's a noisy waist of time.
Teen, 14 years old Written byironkid21 December 2, 2012

So-so musical comedy delivers some nice musical sequences...and some uncomfortable ones...

This movie was okay. Sometimes I found myself interested in some of the stories and others I found myself in boredom and/or uncomfortable. Àn example with the interesting parts, Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin gave some funny one liners and lets just say something unexpected happens (you'll understand what I'm talking about if you watch it) and the love story between the two leads was interesting but becomes border line dull in a bland middle segment. I also mildly enjoyed Bryan Cranston who played the mayor but he was barely in the movie. I also really enjoyed Tom Cruise's performance but there was a really uncomfortable scene between him and an interviewer lady singing "I wanna know what love is" and you can just already guess what happens. It definitely must've been toned down to a PG-13 to get audiences like me. Anywho, every other story was kinda dull including Catherine Zeta Jones and Paul Giamatti who I usually really like but he just annoyed me here. The music sequences though are definitely the reason to watch this and there are a lot of recognizable songs that I found myself humming while watching. Overall, it's average but nothing to rush to watch. Iffy for 11+
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2012

good movie but don't take your kid

this movie is horribly bad in sex do not take your kids i went to go see this with my friend and his Little sister and we never left but we had to cover his little sisters eyes
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan November 27, 2012

ROCK AND ROLL COULD USE SOME ACDC

I love this movie but i still don't get tom cruse with long hair the movie is about a small town girl witch falls in love with a city boy. and my favorit part of the movie all of the music.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymallory_buffington98 November 25, 2012

Tom Cruise

Rock of Ages is a really good movie because of the music and the actors. especially Tom Cruise
Teen, 17 years old Written byRachel Lane October 22, 2012

Have Fun With It!

I thought this was a great movie! It was fun to watch and had a ton of great songs to sing along to. Tom Cruise was better than I expected and all of the other members of the cast did very welI too. At some points it does tend to be a little awkward but overall it was just a fun movie to go see. Don't take this movie too seriously, just have go along with it and have fun! :)