Boxing Best Picture sets underdog-hero standard; drinking.

Adult Written byliddle.biddle February 23, 2009

Awesome!!

ALL I CAN SAY IS AWESOME!!
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2009

Great movie for the older crowd

Rocky's a great movie for the older crowd, because theres a lot of cussing, in one sscene they make out, and theres a fight with some blood. But overall great movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 24, 2009

Probably PG-13 in today's standards.

Definitely an interesting sports movie that spawned way too many unneccessary sequels, I thought it was pretty good but definetly not 5-star worthy.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written byjgcraft February 16, 2009

Great Movie. Rough talk.

I bought this movie thinking it would be good for my boys, who play sports to watch for motivation. After reading the reviews on this website stating that it would be appropriate for 10 year olds and older, I purchased the movie. Within the first 10 minutes, the Lords name was taken in vain at least 4 times and various other times in the movie along with other swearing. No F bombs which would have been better than the GD's. This is not something I want my sons to think is appropriate at any age.
Parent Written byarunmadtrad. October 20, 2015
While some households are not fond of boxing or fightsports, myself and all of my children train and compete in various fightsports including Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai and Fencing. There are many families whose particular sporting enthusiasms include these kinds of hobbies. I love watching this first Rocky movie with all of my children who compete - and in fact, regardless of what sport or hobby your child competes in this message may be beneficial to them - because Rocky's goal isn't even to win. At the end of the film, his "moral victory" as some would call it is simply the fact that he held his own for the entire bout, and never got knocked out. He faced unbelieveable odds and came away from that having been weighed, measured and not found wanting. It is - and all of the Rocky films really are - about heart. Some parents may consider some of the scenes to be violent, which is their prerogative, but personally in our home we do not consider it "violence" as it is two people mutually engaging in a sporting event. Violence is something predatory, ugly and a little bit different. So for our home, this movie is great for all of my children from ages 5 and up; and I have seen very positive influences on my childrens' attitudes as competitors come from watching this family favorite.
Adult Written byRockybalboa211 February 26, 2011

This is forever on!

This movie is for people over 12 years old and while it is one of the best movies ever made, um kids should only watch it on television since that's the censored version. Paulie does not act like a role model yet is lovable in his own way, yet Rocky does act like a role model and he truly does love Adrian. Overall, when I was a child I watched this movie on television and it was back then my favorite movie since Rocky was able to prove himself to the world that he was not a "bum", but a person who could "go the distance"! A magnificent movie that as your child grows to an adult will become one of their favorites of all time!
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Sports Drama

Teen, 16 years old Written byBrendan Conway December 2, 2010
me and my dad love movies like this and is an awesome movie
Adult Written byMoeScrapper April 9, 2008

Great underdog movie!

The at times crude language, small amount of perceived sex and loansharking are not for children under 11, but for 11+ the love story, underdog triumph and boxing action adrenaline rush is addicting. Everytime the Rocky theme is played your heart pumps a little faster. A real original masterpiece of sports writing.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 1, 2009

Pointlessly Violent

It might be the worst film to ever win Best Picture.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNickD531 January 1, 2009

Really Good Movie

This is a really good film. While personally I don't think this is the best movie in the saga, it does introduce us to the character of Rocky and how he came to be a professional boxer. Suitable for children 7/8 +.
Adult Written byfamilyof9 April 9, 2008

Great Movie for older kids

We are a family of 6 kids ages 14 to 3. We only would let our oldest watch this, this year because of all the swearing. Burgess Merideth says the G D word WAY too much for little kids to handle. But of course it is an all time great movie.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo December 30, 2015

Disturbing, yet classic drama.

First of all, I want to point out that although it is rated PG, this movie is extremely violent. The film opens with an intense boxing match. Rocky works for the Mafia, and he beats someone up. In the final scene, both Rocky and his rival are bleeding bad. In this same scene, Rocky is hurt so bad, that he can't see. They then cut his eyelid open (what!?) so he can see. There is also frequent cursing. "S--t", "bulls--t", "son of a b-tch", "goddamn", "a--hole", "damn," "hell", "whore", and "screw you" are all said at least once. Plus there's some kissing.
Kid, 9 years old August 4, 2015

Best Movie Ever!

This is a great movie to get you pumped up. I'm not a big fan of boxing but love this movie. I think it is okay for kids 10 and up because of the boxing scene. It shows Rocky and Apollo punching each other hard and their faces get all messed up. Overall great inspiring movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart May 6, 2015

They fight a looooot

And it's really inspirational, but I don't think it's ok for 9-11 kids to see this.
Adult Written bykdestrello@yahoo.com December 22, 2014

Great movie for 10 - 11 and up .

Overall good message, a little violent during boxing matches.Lots of smoking because movie was made in the 80's.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byHenrynEllasmom November 15, 2014

A classic underdog tale

Inspiring story, but a little slow at the beginning.
Kid, 10 years old February 23, 2012

I WANT TO SEE ROCKY BADLY!!!!!!!!!!!

I never saw this and I want to see this sooooooo badly! I want to see it! I don't really like boxing but I like Rocky! I want to see it badly!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written by80sfan8 September 2, 2011

A boxing film worth watching!

It's really not that brutal compared to an Arnold Schwarzenegger film, but still not appropriate for the young ones.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2011

fantastic. love this movie

LOVE THIS MOVIE!! It's not that inappropriate, but kids will want to watch it with their parents.