Wonderful, but a little too mature for some kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymyself April 9, 2008

HORRIBLE

This is an extremely weird show. I don't even see how people could like the play after seeing this film. We watched it in English and my teacher almost cried when everyone saw the sex scene. I wouldn't reccomend it and I would say that kids should probably stay away.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrazzberrry May 5, 2011

fantasic movie, appropriate for younger ones if bed scene is skipped over

Let me just get this out to other reviewers out there: 1. some people say that it isn't right for romeo and juliet to be getting married at a young age. In the times the play was written it was considered wrong to be married any older than they were married in the movie 2. as far as the real play goes, romeo and juliet are as dramatic about the situation as they are in the movie. all of the fighting and yelling is actually not as bad as the book. 3. benvolio and the nurse are supposed to be weird characters. 4. when the film was made, it did follow the PG guidlines. times have changed. now onto my review :) I LOVE this movie. It captures everything from the book and more. The only thing that was added was the sex scene, but it really did happen in the play, just off-stage. The actors for romeo and juliet captured their innocence and youth beautifully. The reason I said this movie is okay for 10+ is because as long as the bed scene is skipped, there is nothing to worry about. I was in tears by the end of the movie, so if you or your kid is very emotional you may not eant to watch this movie. Everyone is being so critical of the movie, but the director stayed true to the play. for the people being critical to the dialouge of the movie, I assure you it is almost identical to the original play. Trust me,I read my script as i watched the movie ;)
Adult Written bymusicaldq April 10, 2009

One of the Best!

An incredible movie! It might be hard for a lot of kids to understand the language, but for the more mature high schoolers, this movie is pretty great!
Adult Written bynintendoman2010 April 9, 2008

too many bad scenes

My English class at school watched this movie. It was pretty good except for the sex scenes they had in there. The had to show a back side of a man because they have no idea that we do not like that. They do commit suicide at the end. I don't recommend this movie for anyone under 16.
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

Very, very sad. :'(

I saw this movie when I was 9, with my mom. We both seemed to enjoy it, the ending was very sad, though. Well, at least we didn't cry. But then I watched it again and I just couldn't stop my eyes from tearing at the end. It was impossible to stop the crying! Anywayz, there is violence, but not that graphic. Only swords (rarely daggers/knives) are used in fights. There is one brief male nudity, but not frontal, only backside. Lasts for about a minute, I don't know. We also see a young woman naked in bed, but she is mostly covered by a blanket, and her breasts were mostly covered by her hair, but then we see her nipple for less than one second, trust me. This implies they had sex last night. Adults drink alcohol.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Best film R&J, by far

Originally criticized for his extensive cuts to the text, Zefferelli's film is now generally viewed as the best R&J adaptation, largely due to its youthful and exuberant cast. The 2 leads may have been just okay, but the supporting actors, especially Michael York as an insecure Tybalt, Pat Heywood as a delightfully raunchy Nurse, and John McEnery as the best screen Mercutio ever more than take up the slack. The fight choreography in the duel scene is breathtaking and suspenseful, (even though you know what's going to happen), and there's not a dull moment in the entire film. If you want your kids to love Shakespeare, this is where to start.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

A WONDERFUL movie for mature tweens+

This film was rated before the "PG-13" rating was introduced, and in today's times would have been rated PG-13. The movie is well-acted, romantic, heartbreaking, and beautiful. The story of Romeo and Juliet is classic, and lovely. That being said, the social behavior is definitely an issue. Teens committing suicide and getting married very young (Juliet is only 14, Romeo is not much older)are disturbing. All is tasteflully done, and should not be an isssue for mature kids 11 and up. Kids 13 and up will get much more out of it though.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrodolover April 9, 2008

Shakespeare- brilliant and easy to understand!

I, personally love shakespeare, and the first time I read it was in first grade. I thought the movie was very well done and Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting where amazing. Mainly because they didn't know what they where doing, and because they where undiscovered added a fresh new twist to it. The Nurse and Friar Lawrence are wonderful and very funny, and Mercutio is just as weird as he is (and should be) in the play. Everything about the movie is translated perfectly into a beautiful, tragic, and moving film that teenagers in love can really relate to. Violence is not an issue, except that they commit suicide- but everyone knows that happens anyway and there is an understanding or justifiable reason while they do it. It's a good lesson on how not to rush into love to quickly, and is a good opener for conversation about certain topics. Brilliantly done, and good for ages 13/14 and up. (Remember rating have changed since 1968, and PG is really PG-13. Fantastic! A must buy for fans of the play, and it stays true to it. Also but the sondtrack, it's wonderful.
Adult Written byxiaonannan April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byJennypenny123 April 12, 2013

I LOVE this movie!

I LOVED the movie but I haven't seen the play yet. Romeo and Juliet is a story about to teens that fall in love but they cannot be together because they are from two different households, The Capulets and the Montague's, they despise each other and constantly get in fights, so Romeo and Juliet get married without their families knowing. Things go wrong and some people die, Juliet is forced to marry a prince that her father has arranged. Juliet pretends to kill herself so that her and Romeo can be together. Romeo finds out that she is dead but he did not know that she was pretending to be dead so he ends up killing himself and when Juliet wakes up she notices that Romeo is dead and she stabs herself and they both die, Which makes both sides of the family sad realize they need to stop bickering and get along. I would say the movie is for mature teens that wouldn't call the movie dumb just because they killed them selves at the end.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

This movie and the book it is based on both SUCK.

Not even as a kid I liked the book.But this movie is even worse! Terrible acting,it was boring,the art looks like crap.The worst part of this movie was that it was SO CORNY! This movie was just pathetic and depressing!
Adult Written byJEDI micah May 30, 2012

A VERY CORNY MOVIE!

In my opinion, this movie is as corny as the book! I think it is a complete waste of time and the acting stinks! Also, there is one scene where Romeo and Juliet are in a bed together and one of Juliet's boob is shown for like 1 second. Other than that, this movie is terrible, even though it is based on Shakespeare's most popular plays. Don't bother watching it unless you like the book!
Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2009
I love Romieo and Juliet it is my fave movie in the world , but it does have alot of sexual behavior in it ,but it still is a wonderful movie!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydiksoutforharambe September 7, 2016

SO MUCH SEX AND VIOLENT VIOLENCE AND ALSO A LOT OF BAD LANGUAGE

Parent of a 1, 4, and 7 year old Written byaetheriadraconis December 12, 2015

Classic story, original play and excellent acting

Original W. Shakespeare play, including original quotes. Very good acting, actors are of correct age - Olivia Hussey (Juliet) was 15 y.o., Juliet was supposed to be 14 y.o. according to the book. Fights and death scenes are not too graphic, but mostly realistic. Of course, fully according to the play, main heroes commit suicide at the end of the movie - so prepare to discuss this with your children. One sexual scene, including naked man from the back and women, covered with sheets. For a brief moment Juliet breasts could be seen (note - actress is, technically, minor - 15 y.o.) Overall, it's a great movie - the best Romeo and Juliet movie so far. The minimum age depends on the child maturity and ability to understand complex topics, such as love, death and fate. I would say 10+ is a minimum, 12+ would be appropriate for most of the children.
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2013

Should be okay with 11 and up.

I saw this when I was 9 and it wasn't that bad. It had male back nudity (full) and one female nudity for LESS than a second. There is some violence, hardly any blood. Just in one scene. However, this is very sad at the end. I cry everytime I watch this movie. Should be okay with 11 and up.
Adult Written byAnnoyedteenguy May 16, 2010

bland obscene version

all right, im just going to say it. this is a horrible version of the movie. we watched it in my 9th grade english class, obviously because my teacher loved the older things. its just out of date. in the bed scene, where we see a naked romeo and a ful frontal juliet, a sub said "rewind it back". this is just perverted. the one with leonardo dicapprio is way better because there is almost no bad nudity.
Teen, 17 years old Written byZezeroth April 13, 2010

good

It's ayt
Parent of a 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byJessicaBurton1980 January 5, 2009
Teen, 16 years old Written byVirgo__ April 9, 2008

Not for a young audience

this movie has a scene where the woman's breasts are very clearly visible, as well as the back side of a man. it should be rated 15+