All member reviews for Romeo and Juliet

Teen, 13 years old Written bymyself April 9, 2008

HORRIBLE

This is an extremely weird show. I don't even see how people could like the play after seeing this film. We watched it in English and my teacher almost cried when everyone saw the sex scene. I wouldn't reccomend it and I would say that kids should probably stay away.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrazzberrry May 5, 2011

fantasic movie, appropriate for younger ones if bed scene is skipped over

Let me just get this out to other reviewers out there: 1. some people say that it isn't right for romeo and juliet to be getting married at a young age. In the times the play was written it was considered wrong to be married any older than they were married in the movie 2. as far as the real play goes, romeo and juliet are as dramatic about the situation as they are in the movie. all of the fighting and yelling is actually not as bad as the book. 3. benvolio and the nurse are supposed to be weird characters. 4. when the film was made, it did follow the PG guidlines. times have changed. now onto my review :) I LOVE this movie. It captures everything from the book and more. The only thing that was added was the sex scene, but it really did happen in the play, just off-stage. The actors for romeo and juliet captured their innocence and youth beautifully. The reason I said this movie is okay for 10+ is because as long as the bed scene is skipped, there is nothing to worry about. I was in tears by the end of the movie, so if you or your kid is very emotional you may not eant to watch this movie. Everyone is being so critical of the movie, but the director stayed true to the play. for the people being critical to the dialouge of the movie, I assure you it is almost identical to the original play. Trust me,I read my script as i watched the movie ;)
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrodolover April 9, 2008

Shakespeare- brilliant and easy to understand!

I, personally love shakespeare, and the first time I read it was in first grade. I thought the movie was very well done and Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting where amazing. Mainly because they didn't know what they where doing, and because they where undiscovered added a fresh new twist to it. The Nurse and Friar Lawrence are wonderful and very funny, and Mercutio is just as weird as he is (and should be) in the play. Everything about the movie is translated perfectly into a beautiful, tragic, and moving film that teenagers in love can really relate to. Violence is not an issue, except that they commit suicide- but everyone knows that happens anyway and there is an understanding or justifiable reason while they do it. It's a good lesson on how not to rush into love to quickly, and is a good opener for conversation about certain topics. Brilliantly done, and good for ages 13/14 and up. (Remember rating have changed since 1968, and PG is really PG-13. Fantastic! A must buy for fans of the play, and it stays true to it. Also but the sondtrack, it's wonderful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJennypenny123 April 12, 2013

I LOVE this movie!

I LOVED the movie but I haven't seen the play yet. Romeo and Juliet is a story about to teens that fall in love but they cannot be together because they are from two different households, The Capulets and the Montague's, they despise each other and constantly get in fights, so Romeo and Juliet get married without their families knowing. Things go wrong and some people die, Juliet is forced to marry a prince that her father has arranged. Juliet pretends to kill herself so that her and Romeo can be together. Romeo finds out that she is dead but he did not know that she was pretending to be dead so he ends up killing himself and when Juliet wakes up she notices that Romeo is dead and she stabs herself and they both die, Which makes both sides of the family sad realize they need to stop bickering and get along. I would say the movie is for mature teens that wouldn't call the movie dumb just because they killed them selves at the end.
Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2009

I love Romieo and Juliet it is my fave movie in the world , but it does have alot of sexual behavior in it ,but it still is a wonderful movie!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2014

Very, very sad. :'(

I saw this movie when I was 9, with my mom. We both seemed to enjoy it, the ending was very sad, though. Well, at least we didn't cry. But then I watched it again and I just couldn't stop my eyes from tearing at the end. It was impossible to stop the crying! Anywayz, there is violence, but not that graphic. Only swords (rarely daggers/knives) are used in fights. There is one brief male nudity, but not frontal, only backside. Lasts for about a minute, I don't know. We also see a young woman naked in bed, but she is mostly covered by a blanket, and her breasts were mostly covered by her hair, but then we see her nipple for less than one second, trust me. This implies they had sex last night. Adults drink alcohol.
Kid, 12 years old November 6, 2013

Should be okay with 11 and up.

I saw this when I was 9 and it wasn't that bad. It had male back nudity (full) and one female nudity for LESS than a second. There is some violence, hardly any blood. Just in one scene. However, this is very sad at the end. I cry everytime I watch this movie. Should be okay with 11 and up.
Teen, 17 years old Written byZezeroth April 13, 2010

good

It's ayt
Teen, 16 years old Written byVirgo__ April 9, 2008

Not for a young audience

this movie has a scene where the woman's breasts are very clearly visible, as well as the back side of a man. it should be rated 15+
Teen, 15 years old Written byKids Media USA June 17, 2015

Teaches you how a couple works

Good movie! There's a couple suicide attempts, and also some nudity, and Romeo said "s**t" once (though most of the viewers wouldn't hear it). I mean it's a great movie that mature 9-10-11 and 12 year olds and up could handle. 4.5/5 stars for such a romantic, dramatic classic!
Kid, 9 years old August 24, 2012

Romeo and juliet is a wonderful movie for 13+

a bed scene with a glimpse of breasts and a few glimpses of rear male nudity. Violence happens three or four times total, but is hardly ever graphic(only graphic when people are stabbed). Great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystripey May 6, 2012

Romeo and Juliet

there is a value to this movie it is a must watch....but deffiatley watch the modern one
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaLovegood13 March 21, 2012

ROMEO AND JULIET

"Romeo & Juliet" is the classic love story that the entire world has come to adore. Romeo and Juliet are innocent- each have their character flaws and make bad decisions, but are devoted to each other, opting for love instead of romance. Benvolio and Friar Lawrence also are good role models that promote peace. The message itself is not that hate causes misery, but that love is more valuable then hate, and that peace is important.
Kid, 12 years old March 30, 2011

AWESOME

This is the best movie ever! My drama instructor told me and kai to watch it (boo) becuase he thought it would help us realize the strory behind westside story (Im maria hes tony) It was cool to see young actors and it was an over-all good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written by99IsMyLuckyNumber March 5, 2011

i watched this after reading the book, and i simply loved it. the 1996 version is simply an INSULT. This one, with perfect actors and actresses, shows the beauty of romance and loyalty. So what if Juliet took her life? It was because here love and loyalty to Romeo was that good, same for Romeo. The only concern i gave is the naked backside and the breasts and passionate kissing, but ignore those if your mature enough.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomebodysMe July 15, 2009

A good movie, but has some iffy stuff

Before I say anything else, I have to say this: Romeo and Juliet were stupid. Sure, it was just a play and not real, but seriously? Kill yourself because you can't be with your "one true love" who you met three days ago???? Yeah, right! Okay, the bad is basically some deadly fight scenes (none of which are very realistic), and some partial nudity. We had to watch it in school, and the guys-in-tights scenes are just far too many! Yeah, there's a little bit of nudity, but the spandex on the guys is soooooo much worse!!!!!!! It also glorifies stupid suicide
Teen, 13 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn May 12, 2009

Amazing

I absolutly loved the play, and this movie is spectacular.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKass April 9, 2008