All member reviews for Romeo + Juliet

Optically brilliant, violent update of classic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byshanno15 March 16, 2010

Had to watch it in school last year when i was in 9th grade, good movie, kind of an weird adaptation though
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadylollipop1 April 26, 2011

Ignore the 16+

I'm confused why everyone is saying it should be 16+, if it should be 16+ then why is it rated 12a? There is no blood (well a very small amount) no nudity and no bad language (it is shakespeare after all) and it a great story of love and it's educational about shakespeare but it's easier dor kids to understand it when placed in a modern setting.
Kid, 12 years old January 30, 2011

My Romeo + Juliet Review

I have seen this movie,i had to go with iffy because there are alot of Bloddy secnes in this Film which will make it very disturbing for little childern, there murder shooting and very bloody secnes. but there are some good things like love,romance, but there is a little to much. I recomend 17+
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycone March 18, 2011

Adult Written bykarfoo8 September 20, 2010

Interesting Retelling

I have watched this movie many times as a teenager and now an adult. At this point in my life I find it easier to understand than the older version of Romeo and Juliet. The violence in the movie is over done, but that is the point. It is supposed to be ridiculous. I also would not watch this movie without discussing many of the poor choices that the characters choose. Most young people seem to understand that these poor choices led to very real consequences.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion June 13, 2010

Entertaining but Shallow.

There are two movie versions of ROMEO & JULIET. One is a banal '68 adaptation with boring schmaltz and graphic nudity. Another is this '96 interpretation that preserves Shakespeare's dialogue in a gangland LA setting, complete with drugs, whores, gang warfare, and teen sex. It's not the most kid-friendly movie around, but the behavior is so sensationalized and unrealistic that I would be surprised if any teen would try to emulate it. Violence consists of a few gang fights with guns. Over-the-top gang characters threaten people with weapons (including, in one scene, a child) but no one is shot until a climactic, somewhat disturbing scene in which a man is stabbed (with blood) and another is graphically shot after being bloodied in an intentional car wreck. Sexual content in the main issue in the film. A major male character in the film is a transvestite, complete with wig, make-up, and bra. He acts flamboyantly towards other man even when out of drag. A man watches a hooker dance seductively on the street. Romeo and Juliet disrobe each other onscreen (we see him naked from the waste-up and we see her bare back and shoulders), and then we see them in bed together the next morning (He is seen putting on some boxer shorts, and his bare upper half and bare thigh are briefly seen, her bare back is seen again.) They are both underage. Several characters get drunk, and a kid takes ecstasy at a party. In the end, both kids kill themselves (he drinks poison and she shoots herself in the head, complete with blood.) The content sounds terrible, but the movie portrays itself as comic and over-the-top that you can't take any of it seriously.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGhibliTheTimelord February 22, 2015

Criminally underrated, slightly bloody masterpiece

I asked my 16 year old brother who had to watch this is his english class what he thought of it and he said he thought it was "dumb". After watching I totally disagree. I thought it was done beautifully and a lot of people may not have liked it because it was done in a weird fashion (what do you expect from Baz Luhrmann) but I really liked it. There was a single scene where sex was implied but nothing was shown, but there was also plenty of bloody violence. SPOILER ALERT! Multiple lead character are shot and of course the two leads kill themselves. Otherwise really great movie, you really should show your kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjasminemcgill480 February 17, 2015

Great movie

I loved this movie. To those who say that there are too many sex scenes there is only about one scene with Romeo and Juliet but wow Romeo takes off Juliets bra big deal. It doesnt show any nudity but there is a quite a lot of violence. It just depends if you mind looking at graphic scenes. It depends on the maturity of the child really.
Educator Written byPhlinglish November 24, 2014

Spot On

Most of the reviews for this film leave me wondering how many people actually read the original play. Don't watch this film and complain about the violence and sexuality: the original play is rife with both. The opening scene is a street brawl, two characters are later killed, and two more commit suicide. While exploring the text in class I tell my students to assume that everything that comes out of Mercutio's mouth is reminiscent of 50 Shades of Grey. He's absolutely filthy, and both Romeo and Benvolio get in on it whenever they're together and Romeo's not moping about. The only reason Romeo is so depressed at the beginning of the play is because he can't get any from Rosaline, a girl he's been hounding but who has been unwilling to respond. This is a book about reckless and thoughtless teens with too much time on their hands and too much money in their blood. This film shows that, so expect the worst kind of behaviour. The film is an accurate depiction of two melodramatic kids who love the idea of love rather than truly loving each other (as is often stated by Friar Laurence). Shakespeare mocks young love as being nothing more than blind lust and causing nothing but trouble. It's not romantic; it's volatile, and there is no message of peace at the root of the film as Common Sense Media states in their review. There is only one character who doesn't just talk about peace but actively works toward it, and that's the Friar who lies and manipulates to achieve his goal. The parts other reviewers complain about are all in the original play. If you don't like this film because it's too violent and hyper-sexualized, complain about the book, not the film. Baz Lurhmann nails it without getting too graphic or too sexual. It's intense, but so is the book; the film just cuts out the boring parts and moves along faster. Want to better understand what was really going on in the play? This film is the one to watch.
Teen, 17 years old Written by007SPY April 10, 2014

LEARNING

Ignore the 16+ sign

It's Shakespeare no nudity or bad language that's why I pull the rating down to 12+
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Beuatiful, but disturbing and violent imagery

Roger Ebert observed that whereas the Zeffirelli version emphasizes sex and sensuality, the Luhrman one emphasizes the violence. Set in a loud garish, alternate Miami Beach, this R&J exchanges swords and daggers for pistols and revolvers, and the threat of sudden violent death is omnipresent. Luhrman's melding of sex, death and religion (Catholic iconography abounds) makes for some disturbing yet beautiful imagery.
Teen, 17 years old Written byVanilla Thunda October 1, 2013

Romeo + Juliet deserves a chance in this genre.

It does actually give out quite a positive message that love is eternal. Also families need a sense of trust in their children to do what is right for them, even if in the parents' eyes it seems wrong. Acceptance, love is eternal and that violence always leads to horrible things happening to the ones close to us, are the very controversial positive messages to come out of the much adored film Romeo + Juliet.
Kid, 12 years old May 12, 2013

Loved it!

Hi! I'm 12 years old and I saw this movie a few days ago. I loved it! It's got the true words of Shakespeare, which makes it great! However, some of my friends watching in English class felt a bit awkward watching Danes and Dicaprio kiss passionately and take their shirts off. Yes, it has got sexual scenes in it, but it really doesn't show you anything, only when they kiss and strip, then it skips to after! Dicaprio does smoke in this and it does show Dicaprio taking ecstasy. Plus, it has got death and violence in, which some parents and kids may not enjoy. But overall, I loved it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 December 20, 2012

Absolute garbage

My English class watched this since we'd read part of Romeo And Juliet, and I think it was awful. Most of the characters were mindnumbingly stupid, the Shakespearean dialogue is completely out of place with the modern-day setting, and the onslaught of violence almost completely overshadows the deep, poetic meaning behind the play. If you want a good adaptation of Romeo And Juliet, watch the 1968 version of it (we watched that version too.) It's way better. As for this monstrosity, save your money and skip it. Violence: Tons of gun violence, sometimes resulting in death. Characters also fight with their fists. Sex: A male character dresses as a woman for a party. Romeo and Juliet are shown in bed together (But my teacher fast-fowarded through that part, so I don't know exactly what happened.) Consumerism: Lots of brand names featured. Drinking: Characters drink and smoke. Juliet is shown taking an Ecstacy pill.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnya.Starr December 1, 2012

star crossed lovers .

an amazing retelling of the classic star crossed lovers .
Teen, 17 years old Written byWolf88 September 28, 2012

Ok

Has some blood and weapons, mild oldern language, and some sexual references but ok 12+
Teen, 15 years old Written byjenjay August 9, 2012

Amazing appropriation but a bit pathetic

I liked it mainly because of the amazing visuals, its modern context but still with the traditional language. A superb appropriation of the original story. I also liked how they kept to the storyline with all the thrills, despair and suspense. There are some wierd elements to it such as Mercusio acting gay, Romeo having his shirt constantly unbuttoned. Some themes are very over rated and pathetic but i guess its to be expected from Shakespears original story. Overall its a seemingly fun and possibly mild movie at first but it progresses quickly into intense scenes of love and conflict which i dont recommend for kids 13 and under.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysrm10191997 May 26, 2012

Drugs and Violence aside, a good movie

It is in the traditional shakespearean lanuage, but a lot of drugs and violence. If your ok with seeing a guy who is really under the influence and a lot of people dying, the story line is good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byclumsily May 16, 2012

Egh

I was actually really excited about seeing a modern version of Romeo and Juliet since we were studying that play in class (9th grade English) and we were going to be comparing & contrasting this version and the Zeffirelli version. Needless to say, this version disappointed me GREATLY. They only modernized it partially, meaning they kept the language, which overall made it really weird. For example, in the beginning fight scene, they used guns, but they shouted things like "Hold up thy sword", making viewers who haven't read the play wonder, where's the sword? However I did like some aspects, like the way they used the drugs. Not that I support the use of drugs, but I thought that it was a good way to show Shakespeare's views on fate, you can't control it. Likewise when you're on drugs, you can't really control yourself. There was a lot of violence, blood, that sort of stuff. Some scenes were completely awful and overall they didn't do the greatest job modernizing Romeo and Juliet. I honestly wouldn't recommend it unless you actually want to waste a couple hours of your life..
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 30, 2012

good New/but more violent but still better