All parent member reviews for Romeo + Juliet

Parent of a 8 year old Written bycone March 18, 2011

Adult Written bykarfoo8 September 20, 2010

Interesting Retelling

I have watched this movie many times as a teenager and now an adult. At this point in my life I find it easier to understand than the older version of Romeo and Juliet. The violence in the movie is over done, but that is the point. It is supposed to be ridiculous. I also would not watch this movie without discussing many of the poor choices that the characters choose. Most young people seem to understand that these poor choices led to very real consequences.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion June 13, 2010

Entertaining but Shallow.

There are two movie versions of ROMEO & JULIET. One is a banal '68 adaptation with boring schmaltz and graphic nudity. Another is this '96 interpretation that preserves Shakespeare's dialogue in a gangland LA setting, complete with drugs, whores, gang warfare, and teen sex. It's not the most kid-friendly movie around, but the behavior is so sensationalized and unrealistic that I would be surprised if any teen would try to emulate it. Violence consists of a few gang fights with guns. Over-the-top gang characters threaten people with weapons (including, in one scene, a child) but no one is shot until a climactic, somewhat disturbing scene in which a man is stabbed (with blood) and another is graphically shot after being bloodied in an intentional car wreck. Sexual content in the main issue in the film. A major male character in the film is a transvestite, complete with wig, make-up, and bra. He acts flamboyantly towards other man even when out of drag. A man watches a hooker dance seductively on the street. Romeo and Juliet disrobe each other onscreen (we see him naked from the waste-up and we see her bare back and shoulders), and then we see them in bed together the next morning (He is seen putting on some boxer shorts, and his bare upper half and bare thigh are briefly seen, her bare back is seen again.) They are both underage. Several characters get drunk, and a kid takes ecstasy at a party. In the end, both kids kill themselves (he drinks poison and she shoots herself in the head, complete with blood.) The content sounds terrible, but the movie portrays itself as comic and over-the-top that you can't take any of it seriously.
Adult Written byXCschuee21 April 9, 2008

good movie

Romeo and juliet is a pretty good adaptation to shakespeare's novel and a good movie too. Yes some of the scenes and acting are corny and not done to well and it can be hard to understand the elizabethan language but the scenes with romeo and juliet together are well done. I loved how the final scene between romeo and juliet was done, it was quite different from the novel. 17+ is a little much, their is a good bit of blood and violence but I have seen much worse in a pg-13 movie. Their is also some sexual content but isn't anything over the top.
Adult Written bynintendoman2010 April 9, 2008

great, but watch out

The movie is great, i like the way Romeo and Juliet handled their emotions. However, for those of you who want to know if this movie can be watched by kids, read this warning: There is a whole lot of gun fighting, Romeo and Juliet don't do just kissing, they get in the bed and you know the rest of that one(I really do not like to explain sex in detail). There is also a drug Juliet takes near the end so she ca look dead for 48 hours but not really die, also a poison is taken by Romeo in Juliet's resting place and dies. After that, Juliet commits suicide. But just because the drugs in the movie look like they do their job, does not mean they will work in real life, infact, they can hurt you badly and a lot of drugs are illegal. I do not recommend this movie to anyone under 18.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Beuatiful, but disturbing and violent imagery

Roger Ebert observed that whereas the Zeffirelli version emphasizes sex and sensuality, the Luhrman one emphasizes the violence. Set in a loud garish, alternate Miami Beach, this R&J exchanges swords and daggers for pistols and revolvers, and the threat of sudden violent death is omnipresent. Luhrman's melding of sex, death and religion (Catholic iconography abounds) makes for some disturbing yet beautiful imagery.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byfilmwatcher February 19, 2010

Great way for today's kids to understand and appreciate Shakespeare.

I love this movie! I think that it shows the timelessness of Shakespeare and conveys it in a way that those reading Shakespeare for the first time will be better able to connect with and understand the text.
Educator and Parent of a 15 year old Written byredjed November 15, 2009

A Little Too Mature for Young Kids.

In my opinion, I could handle it and I am just 15. Common Sense is somewhat right however.
Adult Written bygreen_goblin July 7, 2009

15+

Too violent, although a great film. It should've had more sex than violence, really. Some parts were too bloody for its rating.
Adult Written bybranagh April 9, 2008

Holy Sacrilige!! Shakespeare Must Be Turning In His Grave.

This contemporary version of William Shakespeare's classic tragedy of "Two households, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona where we lay our scene. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, where civil blood makes civil hhands unclean. From forth the fatal lions of these two foes, a pair of star-crost lovers take their life...and do with their death bury their parents' strife". I recommend the 1968 film version of this play, along with Sir Laurence Olivier & Kenneth Branagh's film versions of Shakespeare's plays. This movie is PLAIN UNVIEWABLE!! NOT SHAKESPEARE!! JUST TRASH!!!
Adult Written byW/E April 9, 2008