All member reviews for Ruby Sparks

Indie romcom explores ego and love; language, sex talk.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats November 23, 2012

She's Out of His Mind

Ruby Sparks features excellent writing and directing with a great performance by Zoe Kazan. Is thought-provoking but believe it or not, Paul Dano is my real problem with the film. Has some light sexual content and dialogue, infrequent heavy language, and some mild drinking, drug use, and smoking. Nothing too bad and it good for a mature twelve year old and up. A-.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 March 13, 2014

Ruby fizzles

Here's the thing: I'm not sure if it's the last 2 movies I've seen Paul Dano in, "Prisoners" and "12 Years a Slave," where he played antagonists in both, but I just can't see him as a leading man. He's more of a featured player, like his assured, mute debut in "Little Miss Sunshine." Here he indulges in Planet Nepotism with his girlfriend/screenwriter/actress Zoe Kazan, who surely saves this movie from becoming "generic indie movie number 5020." Kazan has charisma to boot, but she's given the most interesting role...in fact, the only interesting role, besides Antonio Banderas' brief role as Dano's free spirited stepfather. The quirkiness and cuteness feel forced, but as a writer, I certainly appreciated the wit and message "Sparks" was trying to convey: sometimes writers fall for their own creations. It just didn't reach what it was going for...for me.