All member reviews for Running with Scissors

Dysfunctional-family memoir wallows in smug humor.

Adult Written byannamaeniac April 9, 2008

Deceptive Marketing

I rented this video because it looked funny. Reading the box it appeared to be a COMEDY about a dysfunctional family. The majority of the film my husband an watched had us swinging back and forth between shock and disbelief. It was never funny. After about 35 min we turned off the film and put in Oceans 11. There may be families that are truely this dysfunctional but I won't waste my time watching them. This film is highly inappropreate for children and young adults. AND I am including my 26 year old self in that category.
Adult Written bymercymercygray April 9, 2008

deceived by the promos

could not decide if movie was meant to be funny, dramatic or a satire. it was slow moving and the story line was actually painful to watch. some small moments could not carry this movie nor its flippant attitude toward serious subjects. quality actors in this film and inspired sets could not improve the way this was filmed or the story line. definitely skip it!!!!!!!
Adult Written byconfettie April 9, 2008

Wished that I watched something else at my free time!!!

Although the cover says it should be funny, It really wasn't. I thought it was just DUMB!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySafemancam001 July 2, 2012

Not quite as Good as the Book

My largest warnings to parents are that in this film there a many uses of "f***" and a few uses of "c**t", and there are depictions of teens smoking. The sexual content is mostly suggested but there is a scene where Augusten's mom is making-out with another woman. What you should first understand about this film is that it is based on a memoir by Augusten Burroughs. In his book he uses humor to write about his dysfunctional childhood, most likely, to get over it. There is emotional growth shown in some characters. I did find that the movie did seem to be lacking some important details stated in the book. Such as Augusten's brother, when his mother claimed to have been raped by Dr. Finch, or when Augusten and Natelie decide to go to community college. What the film did have going for it, however was Augusten's growth to realize that he wanted rules and it was hurting him that he didn't. Overall, the film was good and stayed fairly truthful to the book. I would have enjoyed a few extra scenes just to complete the story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhaleylik March 12, 2009

love it

this is the greatest movie ever made funny stupid and dirty love it every 13-100 year old should see this movie
Adult Written byFrikka April 9, 2008

Adult Written byhaymoon April 9, 2008

I Love This Movie!

I read this book, and the movie was woderfully true, to this fabulous book. Running with Scissors, is a very strange & quirky story. While you are watching it, you have to remind yourself, that it is a memoir, and most of this stuff really happened! The characters are amazing, just do not let your child under 17 see this movie. It is definately Rated R for lots of reasons.

This was a great movie and it made me cry.

When I rented this movie I was expecting a light hearted comedy. This movie is not like that at all. It has a few funny moments but it was a serious disturbing yet heart warming film. It had incredible acting, and taught you so much. I think anyone over the age of twelve should see this movie.
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

One of the most fantastic movies I've seen,

But you certainly have to be able to understand it. It's a certain type of comedy that's hilarious but not many people want to understand; within the first twenty minutes, you'll know if you like it or not. It's all a matter of taste, but this was one of the most brilliant memoirs I've seen.
Adult Written byakfletchers April 9, 2008

If you were of age in the 70's

If you were at least 16 in 1970, and/or have had a significant number of friends who were clinically schizo you will enjoy this. Others probably won't relate. Since the writer was 14 at the time this all happened, and came out all right in the end, it seems perfectly appropriate to me for a 14 year old to watch, should they be interested, which would probably take a pretty special 14 year old. If your teens can't cope with language, drugs and sex as they are presented in this movie you should probably just throw your computer away right now and keep them away from all media, including the Bible, from now on!