All member reviews for Safety Not Guaranteed

Fresh sci-fi comedy has strong language, a little raciness.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats November 23, 2012

What Would You Go Back For?

Safety Not Guaranteed is one of the best films of 2012. It has terrific acting and a really sweet story and it may seem predictable but the end takes you by surprise. I can't really think of a problem with this film and I'd recommend it. There is some language including f-words and other mild profanities. There is one scene with some drinking but the character's motives are explained. Language is really the issue to pause for kids thirteen and under. A.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySumiko June 23, 2012

Safety Not Guaranteed (very small spoilers in the post below)

Reasons it's rated R: -The big reason is the language, the bad language isn't excessive, but if the occasional "f" and "s" word bothers your family, that might be something to watch out for. In my opinion, the cursing isn't there to make the movie "edgy", it's there because that's what an average person would say if they were in that situation. - In a conversation, a b.l.o.w j.o.b is mentioned. There's several scenes with kissing. In one scene, Jeff is making out with a woman on a picnic table. They are both fully clothed. Some characters have sex, but it's all off screen. - Some characters drink alcohol, one character drinks and smokes while driving a go cart. -Racism is mentioned very briefly in a scene. This is a movie about love, regrets, mistakes and loss. "The mission has to do with regret, mistakes." I wasn't sure what to expect with this movie, but I wasn't expecting a movie with so much heart. It's a funny movie (well, it is a comedy), but more then that the message is powerful. None of it feels forced. There is a question throughout the movie, can Kenneth actually travel through time, or is he simply crazy or delusional? But time travel really isn't what the movie is about. Safety Not Guaranteed is a character driven movie. The focus is on the character's interactions and dialogue. I thought a couple things in the movie didn't quite add up and the ending was a bit rushed. Other than that, it's a brilliant and incredibly enjoyable movie. I'd give it 4.5 / 5 stars.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 November 10, 2012

Not very funny quirky sci-fi comedy dissapoints

Teen, 16 years old Written bylinap92 June 9, 2013

amazing film

I found this to be a surprisingly heart warming film... I enjoyed the various experiences of each character's first love. It makes viewers contemplate ltopics like love, trust, and sex but it did it in away that wasn't superficial or Hollywood style- in a way that doesn't feel like your watching a chickflick or something dumb In short it is a super good movie you should watch and let your kids watch. I honestly don't understand why it was rated R and thought that PG13 would have been a more suitable rating. It did have a bit of language and sexton stuff but
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 7, 2013

Quirky with edge, AKA a hipster dream!

I love tiny movies like this that are character based with beautiful concepts, like time travel. Unlike other time travel movies, say "Looper," "SNG" has warm, witty characters, some a little underdeveloped, but Plaza kills it as the lead. Duplass is her dead serious time travel aficionado/possible love interest, as the truth begins to leak out in the end.
Parent Written byAspi January 10, 2013