All member reviews for Samantha: An American Girl Holiday

Charming, turn-of-the-century American Girl tale.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAmericangirlforever September 2, 2010

Great, Heart Warming Story

This movie tells a great heart warming story that takes place in 1904.it has a heart warming ending. And a tradigity as well. Its a great movie 5 out of 5
Adult Written byLM April 9, 2008

Charming movie with important message

This is a great movie to watch with your daughters. It deals with a lot of social issues, death of parents, rich vs. poor, helping the less fortunate. It also introduces alot of history, showing life in the early 1900's.
Kid, 11 years old November 26, 2009
A cute movie for slightly older children
Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2015

My favorite American Girl movie!

Thi is a wonderful movie. We watch it every christmastime, and I love it. There are mentions of deaths and stuff(just so little kids won't be worried), but I think it is a great movie! Some parts (ok, a lot of it) doesn't align to the books quite right, but the costumes are like straight from the collection! Never, ever say no to this movie.
Kid, 4 years old January 17, 2012

So good and nice and I can watch it

I love this movie like all the AG movies because I can watch it and Mommy doesnt tell me not to. Linea says that its a baby movie but it is not and she says all the AG movies are baby movies but shes only 9 and lots of girls who are 9 like them I think and anyway I like it
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2011
Great movie! One of my favorites. :-)
Teen, 13 years old Written byjonzy April 9, 2008

a brill dvd and book

i think it is a must have for all teens
Kid, 8 years old April 29, 2016

Really good but sad

I almost cried in the movie when Samanthas friends dad dies. But otherwise it was amazing you have the see it!
Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2016

One of my favorite AG movies!

(I was the same 11 year old on February 7, 2015.) As most of you know, this is an American Girl movie about one of the first Beforever characters, Samantha Parkington. Samantha is a nine-year-old growing up in 1904. She was one of the first characters beside Felicity, Kirsten, and Molly, and most fans have read her six-book set, mystery books, and short stories. This is one of my favorite American Girl movies! Everything is down to detail about 1904 and the stories, clothing, and authencity. But most of you are wondering if this is a good movie. It is! Other than slight name-calling in the first few minutes and Nellie's mother and father dying, it's a very educational and character-building movie. There is some drama, but absolutely NO actually scary parts in the film! I say it's a very good movie for young girls ages 8 and up, and also very heartwarming. The perfect feel-good movie. And that's what we all want, right?? The American Girl historical movies were designed to show girls how they are alike and different then and now, and to show them how they can change the world for the better. So what are you waiting for? Grab some popcorn and press play!
Kid, 9 years old March 1, 2016

Good movie

The first time I watched this movie I didn't like it very much. I found it quite dramatic and a bit boring. But now that I think about it, it's actually quite a good American Girl movie. There's nothing really scary in this movie, except the factory part (which I skipped). The orphanage scene might be scary for kids under 7, and so would possibly the part when they're preparing for the wedding and the veil catches on fire. The person who runs the orphanage steals money that is supposed to go for caring for the children, but it all works out in the end. I found it funny that Samantha felt it was really amazing to ride in a car, but it made sense for 1904. Nellie and Samantha are cute and nice characters. I liked the costumes. There is talk of death in this movie but not in a scary way or in a way that makes you feel really sad, though you may feel sad for the characters. Like all American Girl movies, this movie had quite a happy ending. This is a pretty good American Girl movie.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 2, 2015

A Perfect Holiday Flick for You and Your American Girl

I grew up reading the American Girls Collection and playing with the dolls. Therefore, even though I was an adult when this movie came out, I had to see it and am glad I did. Little AnnaSophia Robb perfectly captures the spirit of Samantha, an independent girl with a huge heart and high hopes for the future. Samantha balances strong feelings and new ideas with love and respect for her family. She is no respecter of class systems, befriending a servant girl named Nellie and reaching out to help Nellie's family at personal risk. Samantha is an orphan, but her parental substitutes--a grandmother, uncle, and aunt--are all positive role models for her. Uncle Gard and Aunt Cornelia embrace values that were liberal for the 1904 setting and might be considered unrealistic, but in doing so, they drive home valuable lessons about how to treat others and respond to differences of opinion. There are some minor caveats. Grandmary has a more traditional 1904 viewpoint that may be offensive or confusing to young viewers. On a clearer note, the maltreatment of children working in a factory is shown. At one point, Nellie and her little sisters are sent to an orphanage, where they are separated and treated like prisoners. The orphanage matron is cruel and misappropriates donations for her own use. Samantha is sometimes disobedient toward adults; while this makes sense in context, it bears discussing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 16, 2013

Da Bestest

Like I say with all American Girl movies, I love them.
Kid, 10 years old December 31, 2011

I like it, but adults might not

This movie may not be that likable for adults, but I really like it, just like all the American Girl Movies. Some people might claim it depressing, because Samantha's parents are dead, and Nellie's dad dies, but I don't think so. It's fine for all ages, and there is nothing bad in it. The people I know who won't watch it because they think it's sad are only the people I know who haven't actually seen it. I like it.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 16, 2011

Good medicine

I think it is educational because Samantha learns about how cruel factories are and the progress in america. It has good messages how you should always speak the truth and care about others. And Samantha is a very good role model on how she cares for every one and helps the needy.
Kid, 11 years old June 3, 2011

On for 6+

This movie is good for ages 6 and up even though I watched it when I was 4. It tells you was like was like in the 1900s and sends good messages to kids. The movie is based on the doll Samantha which show some product placement. Overall it is on for 6 and up and I reccomend it to you.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

good movie

i like this movie. its cute and entertaining.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover1 March 24, 2010
Adult Written bylunadf April 9, 2008

Very Well Done

My 7 year old daughter loves American Girl, and these movies are exactly what I want her watching. Even though she has suffered loss, the young girl in the story has to come to grips with her somewhat sheltered life when she befriends a family that is very poor. When the children of the other family are sent to work in a sweatshop, she must take a stand and a risk, not only to help her friends, but to do what is right. All of the AG movies teach young girls to be positive and strong without being rebellious and arrogant.
Adult Written bymeg82003 April 9, 2008