All teen and kid member reviews for Saving Mr. Banks

Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 December 23, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks is a sincere film filled with great performances.(4.25/5 stars)

The Positives are the storyline (It’s both interesting and totally engaging. I’m glad they decide to tell this story with sincere intentions and plenty of depth to spare), the acting (Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson give great performances that are both accessible and emotionally attachable. Emma Thompson will get an Academy Award nomination for she truly did a good job in her role.), the music (Thomas Newman did a great job with the score. It sounds great and is one of the year’s best composed soundtracks. It will probably get a well deserved Academy award nomination.), the dialogue (It’s well written and often times is engaging and funny.), the character development (The characters were well fleshed out and I liked how Travers didn’t transform into a nice old lady which would’ve been extremely clichéd if she had) the cinematography (It was very good and filmed with stunning camera angles.), the costume design (It looked nice and fit the time period of the 1960’s well.) and finally the movie is extremely likable (I left the theater with a smile on my face). The only negatives are the tone (The movie goes back and forth from being a tragic story when Travers was younger to an upbeat story when she was trying to get her book made into a faithful movie. This was very distracting and took away from the movie.) And the pace (It was a little bit slow at times.). Still I would highly recommend this film. -Brief language, attempted suicide and some occasional mild language are the only problems.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylil4849 December 27, 2013

Great Movie!!!

This movie was better than I expected it to be. It's about the making of Mary Poppins, and how it connected with the author's childhood. Emma Thompson was fantastic, and hopefully will win an academy award. The story of her childhood was sad though, with her dad being an alcoholic, and her mom almost committing suicide. It also has some quirky, funny moments, when P.L. Travers is persistently stubborn. Although a little slow, this is a great movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa January 5, 2014

Bring tissues!

Unlike the cheerful Julie Andrews Mary Poppins that we all know, 'Saving Mr. Banks' is a darker side of the tale not well known until now. Parents should know that P. L. Travers can be a bit of a jerk. Actually a lot of a jerk, especially in the beginning. She is very picky and unwilling to let anything happen to her precious characters whom she describes as "family". Alcohol takes prominence in this film as well, and a mother nearly commits suicide in plain view of her daughter. It may just be hard for younger children to understand. Characters include P.L. Travers, author of the bestselling Mary Poppins books. She is very British and also rather sour, attached to her stories and to the memory of her father. Fellow authors will be able to sympathize with Travers' "family" - that is, her characters - and the fact that she based them off of real life events (not only what happened, but what should have happened). Her stickiness for the characters to be perfect is because she based them off of her real family, most especially her father, and she cannot bear to see them ruined by animation or a happy-go-lucky tale that does not do justice to the reality of life that she had to face at all too young of an age. Walt Disney is trying to convince Travers to let him make Mary Poppins into a film. He is friendly and kind, a good role model for children, and uses understanding and gentleness to ease the broken authoress into letting him turn her childhood woes into the life she never got to have. Last of all, P.L Travers' father. About half of the movie is Walt Disney convincing her, and the other half is flashbacks to her childhood. P.L. Travers' father was a wonderful man, good and kind and fun loving to his wife and children, but he was also an alcoholic. The heart wrenching scenes of his love for his family and him slowly withering away from alcohol and consumption can easily reduce you to tears, especially at the close of the film. The entire film is played out in a way that truly makes P.L. Travers shocked statement of "Mary Poppins didn't come to save the children" resonate in the heart. 'Saving Mr. Banks' is a heartwarming movie for the whole family to love and enjoy; the acting is fantastic from Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Colin Farrell, and it tells the story of the making of a beloved Disney classic. This is more than the story of making a movie, however - it is the story of a father and a daughter who loved each other very much, and how the daughter loved him so much that she wrote a book about how he was redeemed, even if it didn't happen in real life. One thing is for sure - after seeing this movie, you will never be able to watch "Mary Poppins" the same way again.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymickeymouseisawesome December 27, 2013

Saving Mr. Banks

This is a great movie. There are a lot of instances were they show P.L. Travers' dad drinking (he is addicted), and coughing up blood. In one scene P.L. Travers' mom almost commits suicide in front of her daughter by walking into a river. But, this movie also shows lots of good, cheerful things.
Kid, 9 years old December 25, 2013

BEST MOVIE!!!

I think this was the best marry poppins movie ever ! This movie was explaning about marry poppins that she was real
Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2014

great movie

i really enjoyed this movie.it was very interesting. I was always on the edge of my seat!
Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2014

Very dark

Great movie but very dark and sad. Flashbacks to P. L. Travers' childhood show her alcoholic father drinking. He eventually drinks himself to death, and coughs up blood. Her mother almost commits suicide by walking into a river(she is saved). Overall, it's a good movie, but know your kid(s). If they are sensitive, you may want to consider a different movie.
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2014

saving mr banks

this movie has a good message and there is some violence not much sex in one scene there was blood and death so younger kids should watch a better movie but my 10 year old saw it and was ok ,but there was one really bad scene where she looked away but over all its a awesome movie but if someone under 10 watched this they might try to cover their eyes but 10 and older would but nothing too bad but its a really good film!
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah December 28, 2013

Amazing acting and a very good script.

I don't really have much to say about this other than mentioning how the performances are amazing, specifically Emma Thompson who is near flawless. Tom Hanks is great too. The humor feels natural and character-driven and its pacing is consistent, but its tone shifts just a tiny bit as its dramatic moments tend to feel heavy-handed. It still all works very well, though. I just slightly disliked how P.L. Travers' characterization becomes increasingly more obvious, whereas it started off nicely and subtly, and I feel like some parts weren't as emotional as the film thought they were. 8.4/10, great, one thumb up, above average, etc.
Kid, 10 years old December 26, 2013

SO-SO

this is a good movie in the moments in the present but during her childhood Features her Dead extremely drunk dad bleeding screaming and her really sad mom almost commiting suicide !!!!!But other than that childhood stories Its good funny and happy!!!!Little too serious story with scary creepy parents and hilarious emma Thompson!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire April 12, 2014

Confusing and slow in parts but still a masterpiece

As I said in the title, this movie is a bit confusing. The style definitely takes some getting used to. I'd like to watch it again just so I can understand it fully. There are also some intense scenes such as a man coughing up blood and a woman who tries to drown herself right in front of her young daughter. Young Pamela's dad is almost constantly drinking. The actors are all amazing and couldn't have been casted more perfectly. It's really nice to see how connected Pamela was to her characters and the process that Walt Disney had to go through to make it into a movie (however much of this is true). I'd recommend seeing Mary Poppins before watching this just so you can understand it all.
Kid, 12 years old April 7, 2014

Great but, not for kids.

I loved the movie, it was beautiful. It has very dramatic scenes in it though. A man dies and a woman attempts to drown herself but is stopped. It is great but for kids 12 and up.
Kid, 11 years old February 8, 2014

You call this sad?

I am used to watching movies with thematic elements. I could not understand why it was rated PG13.
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2014

Amazing Movie!

Saving Mr. Banks was a great movie! It's definitely one of my favorites. However, there is a lot of content that is not appropriate for younger audiences. It's the true story of the creator of Mary Poppins and the producing of Mary Poppins into a movie. It's also a series of flashbacks to Traver's childhood and how Mary Poppins is based off of it. It was extremely well written and the actors did great, but on a more negative note, there is a lot of drinking, a smoking scene, a tiny bit of swearing, and attempted suicide. It was VERY depressing and dark, and I almost cried. It still has a great plot, acting, and script, but it was PG-13 for a reason.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMonica1413 January 5, 2014

Good movie

There really isn't anything inappropriate in this movie accept for the fathers drinking habit. There are a few sad scenes that younger kids might not understand, when she is thinking back on her childhood about her father. It could be to much to handle really depends on the child. If anything it might be boring to younger kids. But if your older then twelve your mature enough and would probably enjoy this movie, again depends on the person. I loved it!
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2014

Made me laugh yet made me cry at some points.

I am a 12 year old and I watched Saving Mr. Banks thinking it would be a Disney light hearted film- witch I soon found out quiet wrong. There are light hearted scenes but over all it is very sad and powerful. It dealt with death and a sad childhood for P.L. Traverse. In the end I cried but laughed just the same. It is a great watch but just don't expect a happy fairy tale movie.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2014

My New Favourite Live-Action Disney Movie

"Saving Mr. Banks" was one of the best movies I have ever watched. It was really that good! Throughout the movie, I was trying hard to hold in my tears, as the movie touched me in a way I had never been touched before. By the end though, I couldn't hold them in anymore, and silent tears started running down my face before I could stop them, while my friends stared at me in reason to the fact that I hardly ever cry. As soon as the lights in the theatre went on again, I noticed that half the room was in tears. The story is a lot sadder than I had expected going into the theatre, but I enjoyed every bit of it all the same. Though most of the movie was switching back and forth from heartbreakingly sad, to pleasantly happy, the ending made me cry in a both happy and sad way.
Kid, 11 years old January 4, 2014

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

This is one of the best movies of all time to me. You will laugh, you will cry. But some scenes are a little disturbing. Other than that, it's a good movie.
Kid, 8 years old June 16, 2015

Good but slightly boring drama has some very dark and some quite violent moments.

This good drama stars Tom and Hanks and Emma Thompson, Tom Hanks stars as the great Walt Disney, and Emma Thompson stars as P.L Travers the women who wrote Marry Poppins. Now P.L asks Walt if they can make Marry Poppins into a movie. This movie does have some quite violence moments including when P.L father starts coughing up blood and his body is shown twice in flashbacks, and a man starts yelling and getting mad at work, and a very disturbing scene where a women almost attempts suicide by walking into a lake in front of her daughter. There is lots of swearing, drinking, and alcoholism. This movie is pretty good but it gets a bit boring in some parts. Heres my rating off for 2-15 iffy 15-16 and great for 17+. Another rating:R for language throughout, some racy references, strong alcohol use and brief drug use, brief bloody violence, strong mature thematic material, and disturbing images.
Kid, 11 years old February 18, 2015

Saving Mr Banks

Saving Mr Banks at times is smart, funny, emotional, and maintains its layered unclichéd drama within it, but it has some flaws. Iffy for kids 12 and under for: Mild Language, Thematic Elements and Unsettling Images/Mild Violence.