All member reviews for Saving Private Ryan

Bloody, tragic war epic doesn't hold back.

Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2011

I have been wanting to watch this movie forever, and finally dad let me. The beginning and ending scenes are extremely violent and disturbing. One memorable image is half a man is screaming in agony on Normandy Beach with his intestines spilling out onto the bloody sand. Lots of blood spurting, SPOILER!!!! Main characters die. Lots of them. Some bad language, too, but ya know, it's a war movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvcrmastar January 23, 2010

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THAT IT'S BAD TO BE REALISTIC?!?!

Look, sure, this movie is violent, but it IS a classic, and has many good messages loke teamwork and loyalty. The truth is, sadly, that war is violent. The only way to portray war is with violence. By age 12, kids should be mature enough to accept the profanity, be able to understand the violence, and understand the reality and brutalities of war. This is one of the best movies ever made. It should not be missed. By anyone.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHennex January 2, 2011

Amazing movie, great for the mature teen.

It's hard to click the "Too Violent" button, because that seems to me to indicate that unneccesary violence was present, which it was not. This movie is surprising at parts, and very sad, but realistic and true. This movie is full of bloody violence, but if your child is a history buff or is mature enough, they need to watch this. It is violent, but it's such a good movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydean98 September 20, 2011

Bloody war movie is excellent but very violent

This is my all time favorite war movie. Parents should just be concerned on the amount of violence. The worst scene is in the beginning where it shows a 20 minute clip of D-Day. There is some strong, coarse language including the F words. When characters are shot blood is spewn. It is incredibely realistic. I saw it at the age of 12 and was shocked to see boat loads of blood. It has strong characters and a moral message. The movie is absolutely magnificent. 5 stars!!
Adult Written byD-Fresh March 30, 2011

Obviously not a kids movie

Not all violence is bad. I have several relatives who fought in WWII, and their biggest worry in high school was that they wouldn't medically/physically qualify for one of the armed services. I think the willing and selfless sacrifice of that generation might be a little more relevant topic of discussion for a family than "Do you think those man [sic] can be excused for such a breakdown of discipline?"
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

Incredibly Overrated

Just another film to bring in more troops for the US. If you're looking for a good was movie from 1998, watch Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

Oh My Gosh

This is a very good movie and I think VERY MATURE boys could handle it 9 and up. Legs blown up, bullets through heads!!!!!! But common sense really Call of duty NOT FOR KIDS and the most gory movie with REAL PEOPLE is ok 16& up GET IT RIGHT
Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2011

It wont come back and haunt you

very bloody with scenes of people spewing blood but its war thats what happens you know. What helped me is thinking that you know its over it wont kill you, overall maturity yes or no. Quite a bit of swearing though, its classic what do you think?
Teen, 17 years old Written byTbadman March 10, 2011

Masterpiece of the war genre,recommended for mature audiences

A very violent war film that is perfectly done thanks to an excellent script,great performances and really good film making all around. It tells an emotionally charged story of a squad of soldiers that have to rescue a man they have never met and really dont care about,thus they question their mission. This is a great metaphor and this theme of fighting for someone you have never met is dwelled on constantly. The film is really about soldiers who fight and die for our freedom despite the fact that they dont know anything about us. This is a war film and as such it is extremely violent,disturbing and hardcore,too disturbing and graphic for family members under 16,maybe 17.But this violence does serve a purpose,it deglorifies war and shows it in a very realistic,open minded manner. The greatest war film ever made in my opinion
Teen, 13 years old Written byMicahBob January 13, 2011

good, but very questionable language and vilonce

its one of my favorite movies, but thwy drop the f-bomb so much and the vilonce is alot more that i thought (and i was expecting alot)
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Excellent; Probably the Best War Film I've Ever Seen.

This is a brilliant film. It has constant, no-holds-bar action (especially the opening and the climax)and very moving preformances. Well done, Spielberg, you've done it again.
Parent of a 12 and 18 year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

NOT FOR PEOPLE UNDER 17!!!

IT IS A GREAT MOVIE but the violence and swearing is overly gruesome,sick,intense,and gross
Teen, 17 years old Written byBatman100 March 26, 2015

Great movie but too much language and violence for the kids

Teen, 17 years old Written byfangningsheng February 3, 2015

Great Movie, does not hold back

Saving Private Ryan is one of the best WWII movies ever made. That being said, it's also incredibly graphic and violent, with strong language throughout. Fine for high schoolers and probably some middle schoolers, and should definitely be seen by anyone who can stomach it.
Kid, 12 years old January 17, 2015

Wooooow! Great World War 2 film

This movie was awesome. Of course any movie with Tom Hanks is awesome. This movie shows how young some of these soldiers who fought in the war were. It is very bloody and gory. But of course, it is a World War 2 film what were you expecting? Though it being gory, the soldiers had to sacrifice themselves that way. I RATE THIS 5 STARS!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byFilmguy15 December 17, 2014

Amazing

this is an amazing movie and very sad... so violent and realistic. Steven Spielberg does an amazing job showing us how real war is and how tragic it is. Tom Hanks is great actor and really sells it all, differently worth watching. It's rated R for a reason tho. :)
Adult Written byjlarr11 December 4, 2014

i love the story

i love the story because its so accurate like you kmow what happen to the pride when captain was too young that was matt damon in real life.
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2014

Bloody, Unforgettable War Drama is fine for older teena

Violence- 5 (Infrequent but extremely brutal, bloody, gory battle scenes) Language- 4 (Around 20 uses of f**k)
Teen, 13 years old Written by2jayz October 21, 2014

Brilliant but bloody

This is one of the best and emotional war movies. The violence is extremely realistic and graphic but it shows kids how brutal wars are, that there not fun like in Call of Duty. There is a few f-words and other swear words.
Written byAnonymous October 12, 2014

Saving Private Ryan review

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: Reiben tells a prewar story about seeing an extremely large breasted woman trying on some clothes (that were too small) in his mother's store. He then comments that she noticed that he had a "hard on," and that the woman told him to calm down, and that if he ever got scared during the war, that he should close his eyes "and think of these" (as Reiben gestures holding up some large breasts). Private Ryan tells a story about his brother being with a woman before heading off to the war. He says that he had her shirt off and was trying to undo her bra when his brothers shouted out for him not to do it (and the story ends there). 2/10. ========================================================= Violence: As the American troops storm the beaches at Normandy, they're met by mortar and machine gun fire that instantly injures and kills many of them in extremely graphic, gory, and bloody ways (in a sequence that lasts more than twenty minutes and is much more realistic than ever portrayed on film before). Several other men during this catch on fire and are completely engulfed in flames. As the sequence progresses, more and more men are shot or blown up. Eventually some of the Americans make their way up the beach where they shoot some Germans, as well as use hand grenades and flamethrowers on them (and consequently see more people on fire). Later, a man is shot by a sniper, who in turn is shot by another sniper. Machine gun fire mows down a roomful of German soldiers. We learn that twenty-two men died in a plane crash (not seen). German soldiers fire at Miller and his team as they race up a hill. Grenades are thrown back and forth and several people are killed and the Americans repeatedly strike a surviving German soldier. An armored vehicle is hit and blows up and Miller's men shoot the Germans who try to escape from it. In another very long fighting sequence, many people are shot and killed, while others are blown up by varying explosives. Some are also hit by Molotov cocktails that catch several German soldiers on fire, while another has a knife slowly driven into his chest, killing him. Tanks fire at other people, planes fire at them, a man is decapitated (graphic but brief), many buildings are blown up, and a sniper shoots many people. In the end, not many people are left alive. 10/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: We see (and hear) some soldiers vomiting from fear as they prepare to storm the beaches at Normandy. As the American troops storm the beaches at Normandy, they're met by mortar and machine gun fire that instantly kills and injures many of them. Most of the wounds are extremely bloody and gory. During this twenty some minute scene, we see bullets realistically hitting bodies (along with squishy-sounding effects), including some hit underwater where blood then quickly floats from their bodies. We also see people's limbs blown off (with lots of blood), a man picking up his dismembered arm from the ground, the surf that rolls onto the shores is tainted red, and Miller has some blood on his face. We also fully see a man's intestines that have been blown out and onto his body (along with the man screaming in agony), another man whose entire lower half of his body is missing, and another who has a hole where his face use to be. We see blood squirting out of a man's wound, and another man gets hit in the head with a bullet, and many, many other instances of graphic wounds. After the skirmish, the surf is again tainted red and we see many bodies on the beach. A man is shot by a sniper and his blood spills out onto the ground around him. A sniper is shot in the eye by another sniper and we see the bloody bullet hole in his eye. More people who are shot are bloody. Miller and his team come across some bodies that are discolored from having been dead for a while. One of Miller's team is shot and we see him lying on the ground with several bullet holes in his torso. While others attempt to wipe away the blood, it quickly oozes out from the holes and there's blood in his mouth. We see this for several minutes, along with the dead and bloody Germans. We briefly see a man get decapitated in another long battle sequence that shows many more bloody wounds including a man being blown up by an explosive. During one, an unseen man is shot and blood spills out over a floor. Another is then shot in the neck and we see even more blood. We also see a knife slowly pushed into another man's chest, killing him. 10/10. ========================================================= Profanity: At least 20 "f" words, 12 "s" words, 3 slang terms for male genitals (2 "pr*ck," 1 "c*cks*cker"), 17 hells, 10 S.O.B.'s, 8 asses (2 used with "hole"), 5 damns, 3 bitches, 1 crap, and 12 uses of "G-damn," 3 of "Jesus," and 2 each of "Oh my God" and "Jesus Christ" as exclamations. 8/10. ========================================================= Alcohol/Drugs: A great deal of morphine is given to a wounded soldier in the field. 1/10. ========================================================= Smoking: A soldier puts chewing tobacco in his mouth. Several soldiers occasionally smoke during the movie, such as Reiben who smokes a few cigars and Upham who shares a smoke with a captured German soldier. 3/10. ========================================================= Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war movies ever made. It has outstanding performances and really shows you what war actually is; hell. I give it 9/10. =========================================================