All member reviews for Saving Private Ryan

Bloody, tragic war epic doesn't hold back.

Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2011

I have been wanting to watch this movie forever, and finally dad let me. The beginning and ending scenes are extremely violent and disturbing. One memorable image is half a man is screaming in agony on Normandy Beach with his intestines spilling out onto the bloody sand. Lots of blood spurting, SPOILER!!!! Main characters die. Lots of them. Some bad language, too, but ya know, it's a war movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvcrmastar January 23, 2010

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THAT IT'S BAD TO BE REALISTIC?!?!

Look, sure, this movie is violent, but it IS a classic, and has many good messages loke teamwork and loyalty. The truth is, sadly, that war is violent. The only way to portray war is with violence. By age 12, kids should be mature enough to accept the profanity, be able to understand the violence, and understand the reality and brutalities of war. This is one of the best movies ever made. It should not be missed. By anyone.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHennex January 2, 2011

Amazing movie, great for the mature teen.

It's hard to click the "Too Violent" button, because that seems to me to indicate that unneccesary violence was present, which it was not. This movie is surprising at parts, and very sad, but realistic and true. This movie is full of bloody violence, but if your child is a history buff or is mature enough, they need to watch this. It is violent, but it's such a good movie.
Written byAnonymous July 5, 2010

A classic war film...

Possibly the best war movie out on the market now. Forget The Hurt Locker and watch this...
Teen, 13 years old Written bydean98 September 20, 2011

Bloody war movie is excellent but very violent

This is my all time favorite war movie. Parents should just be concerned on the amount of violence. The worst scene is in the beginning where it shows a 20 minute clip of D-Day. There is some strong, coarse language including the F words. When characters are shot blood is spewn. It is incredibely realistic. I saw it at the age of 12 and was shocked to see boat loads of blood. It has strong characters and a moral message. The movie is absolutely magnificent. 5 stars!!
Adult Written byD-Fresh March 30, 2011

Obviously not a kids movie

Not all violence is bad. I have several relatives who fought in WWII, and their biggest worry in high school was that they wouldn't medically/physically qualify for one of the armed services. I think the willing and selfless sacrifice of that generation might be a little more relevant topic of discussion for a family than "Do you think those man [sic] can be excused for such a breakdown of discipline?"
Parent Written byRate4OwnKid July 2, 2011

Mature kids can handle this movie

While this movie is gruesome and violent, we never feel that we need to shelter our children from real events. My step son is a mature 11 year old who has ambitions to enter the military and he loved this movie. We explained to him the importance and reality of WWII. He is aware that adults use language that is innappropriate for children and we have been able to trust him to not use that language.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009

Incredibly Overrated

Just another film to bring in more troops for the US. If you're looking for a good was movie from 1998, watch Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byolympictree April 9, 2008

Brings History to Life

This was on TNT the other day and I actually let my 12 year old watch this because it was broken up with commercials and we could talk about the scenes he had just seen (like the guy walking around looking for his blown off arm) - if I hadn't watched this with him and if we weren't able to talk about it together, I woul dnot have let him see this movie. Having said all that, I believe it was the first time he understood what war is all about - it's not something you play on a video screen. At the end of the movie it opened a great dialogue on ethics, was it worth it? If he was Private Ryan, how would he have spent his life? you definately need to know your kid before you watch this.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2012

Oh My Gosh

This is a very good movie and I think VERY MATURE boys could handle it 9 and up. Legs blown up, bullets through heads!!!!!! But common sense really Call of duty NOT FOR KIDS and the most gory movie with REAL PEOPLE is ok 16& up GET IT RIGHT
Kid, 10 years old July 9, 2011

It wont come back and haunt you

very bloody with scenes of people spewing blood but its war thats what happens you know. What helped me is thinking that you know its over it wont kill you, overall maturity yes or no. Quite a bit of swearing though, its classic what do you think?
Teen, 17 years old Written byTbadman March 10, 2011

Masterpiece of the war genre,recommended for mature audiences

A very violent war film that is perfectly done thanks to an excellent script,great performances and really good film making all around. It tells an emotionally charged story of a squad of soldiers that have to rescue a man they have never met and really dont care about,thus they question their mission. This is a great metaphor and this theme of fighting for someone you have never met is dwelled on constantly. The film is really about soldiers who fight and die for our freedom despite the fact that they dont know anything about us. This is a war film and as such it is extremely violent,disturbing and hardcore,too disturbing and graphic for family members under 16,maybe 17.But this violence does serve a purpose,it deglorifies war and shows it in a very realistic,open minded manner. The greatest war film ever made in my opinion
Teen, 13 years old Written byMicahBob January 13, 2011

good, but very questionable language and vilonce

its one of my favorite movies, but thwy drop the f-bomb so much and the vilonce is alot more that i thought (and i was expecting alot)
Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Excellent; Probably the Best War Film I've Ever Seen.

This is a brilliant film. It has constant, no-holds-bar action (especially the opening and the climax)and very moving preformances. Well done, Spielberg, you've done it again.
Parent of a 12 and 18 year old Written bytbaudler1410 April 19, 2009

NOT FOR PEOPLE UNDER 17!!!

IT IS A GREAT MOVIE but the violence and swearing is overly gruesome,sick,intense,and gross
Teen, 13 years old Written bygunman202 April 12, 2009

My Favorite Movie

I have to admit this is my all time favorite movie. It is an amazing story but not very appropriate for you children. The first battle depicts d-day. This is the most graphic scene in any movie known to man. There are armless people, burning people a guy with his chest blown open with his innards hanging out. People are shot in the head and massacred. I can’t give you every detail or id be here all day. There is no sex or nudity. A lot of foul language, and show graphic scenes of war. One scene in particular shows a man slowly stabbed by a Nazi and I almost threw up. I’m ok with guts and all that stuff but if your child can’t watch the Discovery health channel then don’t let them watch it. This may even scare some adults so if you are the most bit squeamish DON’T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan August 13, 2015

Saving Private Ryan movie review

"Saving Private Ryan" is my personal favorite Steven Spielberg film. It is an accurate portrayal of war filled with great acting and mesmerizing setpieces. Tom Hanks gives one of the best performances of his career as Captain John Miller. He shows bravery and authority very well. He is what drives the movie. The 24-minute opening sequence on Omaha Beach was very graphic and violent. It felt very realistic and detailed. Many soldiers were getting killed and lots of them wounded bad. "Saving Private Ryan" is a hard film to watch at parts. This film is one of the most violent movies I have ever seen. It is very violent yet it is a wonderful film that shows why America is the best nation still. I don't think I can watch this film many times. It is not a movie for people who can not handle gore and very violent scenes. However, it's a mesmerizing film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLucan1010 July 9, 2015

Excellent Anti-War Drama features extreme violence and Strong Language

Violence: Extreme, realistic, persistent violence. Some major (and likable) characters die. However, if you kids have played the newer Call of Duty Games they can probably handle it. Language: Pretty much everything. Sex: Brief description of past romantic encounter, however stays at PG level. Drugs: Smoking, medical drugs administered. Overall as I mentioned above if your kids can handle Call of Duty they can handle this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 June 4, 2015

Powerful WWII tale is dark and moving.

I highly praise this film's serious tone. As most films based on real wars should be, this is a serious movie, and not a 'fun thrill ride'. But it is tragic and on an epic scale. The cast is mostly stellar, the story is simple but effective, and the characters are unique and varied. Another good thing about this film is that, while the Americans are presented as the 'good guys' the Germans aren't the 'bad guys'. There are friendly and not so friendly characters on both sides, and the film has a very human tone. In conclusion, its not a 'fun' film. But it is a powerful and tragic story of the second world war, and people who lived through the war may appreciate the dark and serious tone.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 28, 2015

One of the finest war films

Is there any doubt when Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg collaborate? I'm late to the party on this one: this is one of the most recognizable, popular and most powerful films of all time, and I'm not sure why it took me so long, but it is an American classic. The acting is flawless, gritty and real. The D-Day opener is one of, if not the, finest opening sequence of any film. The cinematography lands you right in the middle of battle, the score sweeping and the writing realistic, soldier dialogue. It is Generation X's "All Quiet on the Western Front," and that's a huge accomplishment.