All member reviews for Saw

Teen, 14 years old Written byHunterJumper13 December 21, 2010

Great for mature tweens-teens

I'm 13,and I thought this movie was terrific. I mean, I'm a horrer movie connesuer, I've been raised on Chucky, Jason X, etc etc. I found this movie to have an interesting plot though, and the acting was actualy pretty good. I'd say definantly go for it for 13:)
Teen, 15 years old Written byDKRUMBLE725 October 8, 2009

BEST MOVIE EVER !!!!!!!

This movie and its sequels are the best! The violence was partially disturbing but these movies are still my favorite. The only thing i would warn parents about is the over excessive use of strong language (too many f***s) but this is still a must see horror film even though they get blodier each movie. I cant wait for SAW 6.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

Need to be 18+ :/

VERY GRISLY, ND VIOLENT! but there is a lesson! criminals desirve to suffer.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThehatter32 June 7, 2010

Desensitization

Yes, the movie-makers of today are pushing it, and yes, it is grisly. This is surely not a scary movie. Of course you wouldn't let your 12 year old watch it, but older teens mature at a variety of ages, some much quicker than others. Why must we lump every teen into the same category, and deny them their maturity? I love horror movies, and that is to no fault of my parents, for I snuck them for quite some time. It's not like I didn't get punished for it. There is violence that is obviously fake and overdramatized, and there is drug-abuse, and self-mutilation. Who is to say that these things don't already happen? Who is to say that having a teen see these things isn't going to benefit them, when they see the consequences of what the drugs, etc. lead to? You call it desensitization, I call it an awareness of the world around us and how screwed up it has gotten. People in our history books have done much worse than this man, and I don't see you complaining about them. Besides, he tells you to appreciate your life. Minus the deaths, it is a good message to live by.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymisterpoll87 July 18, 2011

Good Film, Not as Much Violence as Its Contemporaries

Saw is an excellent film and contrary to what others have said, it is rather lacking in violence in comparison to other horror films of this time such as, Hostel, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake), and Final Destination. In fact, most of the violence, with a couple of exceptions is more implicit than explicit. In addition, the film brings up some interesting philosophic questions about humans and current society, especially the negative effect of the media. Specifically, how the media glorifies serial killers and often reports inaccurate information causing people to make bad decisions, just like in the film in the cell phone scene near the end of the film. Ultimately, this film is an excellent atmospheric thriller (unlike many of its sequels), in which you must decide if your child can handle the occasionally shown extreme violent scenes (which in my opinon there are only about two such scenes and the rest is more implicit and hinted at than actually shown) and the sometimes adult themes.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySecretAgentPalin July 16, 2011

Saw isn't as bad as you think.

Saw has a reputation across the country as being very,very gory. That statement fits the later sequels. But the first Saw is very low-budget, so you see quite a bit of blood (and some guts), but there are few shots of direct violence. And those shots are not very gruesome. But nevertheless, this movie will most likely be disturbing to anyone who watches it. THIS IS DEFINITELY NIGHTMARE MATERIAL. This movie will be fine for any teen that plays M rated video games, or has seen R rated violent movies before. The positive element to Saw 1 is that it will make you think. It's not a believable great movie, but it does show what humans are capable of. And it will encourage you to reflect on your sins. Even though Jigsaw's misdeeds are malign and aberrant, and these actions should never be promoted. Young viewers should also understand this is an extreme fable, and not to be mistaken for reality. 14+ for bloody violence, grisly images, and strong language.
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2011

Older kids only

sounds very violent
Teen, 16 years old Written bybradley4846 August 29, 2010

Surprisingly Amazing

This is not as violent as you think. and its not a horror movie, its a thriller. if you like CSI ull like this. Yes, there is some violence and theres also occasionall swearing. Great ending
Teen, 14 years old Written byPuppyluv13 June 12, 2010

A great movie with a good lesson

I fir one think that it has a good lesson and that is to appreciate your life because your life COULD be MUCH MUCH worse because for the Victims that escape, they learn to appreciate the things in their life, yes it is Gross and perhaps grisly but it does have a GOOD lesson, To enjoy your life and Appreciate every moment in it!
Kid, 10 years old May 7, 2011

READING about it is gruesome

I have not seen this movie before, but I have read about it on Wikipedia. That's a kid's secret way to see a horror movie without 'seeing' it. It's very violent, pretty much every scene has to have blood. Jigsaw, the killer, gives no synpathy or empaphy to his victims, much less mercy.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymynameisnick April 9, 2011

Not too bad for teens who can handle gore.

I think it's a very good movie/series. I will however say none of the SAW movies are good for anyone who can't handle gore or good kidnapping scene every once in a while. This one is propably the most toned down one. The rest are WAY WAY gorier.
Teen, 17 years old Written byScorpion245 March 26, 2011

17+

Kid, 10 years old November 2, 2010

A stupid slasher movie

Another pointless slasher movie not worth even looking at the front cover it has no story its just blood gushing annd people being tortured with constant bad language this movie is not a horror movie its not scary it has no real surspence at all but of course this is my opinion you dont have to take any notice to what i say.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfatpenquins April 9, 2008

Awseome move but not for the weak stomach

Really scary and makes you think but NOT for little kids or even older kids who can't handle it. Parents should deffinetly see it first (my dad did). But better then the recent string of horrible unscary "horror" movies.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydawtpbwv July 19, 2011

Saw - Movie that you watch or ELSE

Saw has a brilliant movie plot but it lacks that jump forward to fully get it going. It's a very hyped up movie people saying it's too gory and disturbing when really it's not. Sure there's lots of blood but there's more plot and talking than that. It's for mature teens or tweens that can handle it. This probably has the best horror movie twist to date. That's why I watched it. I was blown away at the build upo and pay off of this movie. But it lacks acting and most of it seems forced or unrealistic. However this is a 3.5/5 movie I reccomend it to the curious viewer. Rated R for some f*cks and lots of violence and blood.
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2011

Saw is excellent, content is not.

Yes, I've seen this movie even though I'm under thirteen. It was on cable though which is where probably most people should watch these excessively gory horror films. I do like this movie, but the messages aren't what people should follow. I know some parents would allow their kids to watch without it being edited, but I do advise you not to. There is references to hookers, "I don't care if your covered in peanut butter with 10 hookers licking you clean.", an affair is one of the person's dark secret, the violence is very gory, and the language is very strong. The movie itself is a excellent horror movie with a seriously amazing cast that the makers of Saw can't seem to continue afterward. I do advise that any parent that has a kid that wants to watch this movie, try to find it when it airs on cable.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydamoviecritic April 9, 2008

Not nearly as violent as is suggested

This is one of my favorite horror films. While it might not hold up, plotwise, it is still fascinating. The violence, for the most part, is not shown onscreen. Plenty violent, but compared to a movie like Hostel is a pg rated film.
Teen, 17 years old Written bygoldner_jag April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bythedigitalmastermind January 27, 2011

An amazingly greusome horror film, but great characters and plot

This movie is a truly gruesome, grisly movie. It has gore galore! But it does have an interesting and complex plot that intrigues the viewers to keep watching till the end. You even sympathize with the main characters, but it's hard to sympathize with Jigsaw, even with his dying from cancer. It's a great horror-thriller, and has some great scares and kills, but is graphic and disturbing even to the most hardened gore fan.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymikee990 April 9, 2008