All teen and kid member reviews for Saw

Teen, 14 years old Written byIanMcT January 3, 2015

Infamous horror film doesn't live up to the hype, though still maintains a strong plot.

Saw is a well made horror film that is normally discarded by parents as an option for kids because of it's infamous title, as it should be, in most situations. When picking a movie, keep in mind your child. Just because one child may be horrified by what they see in films, this in no way means that your child will be. This film is very violent, however all of the violence in this film occurs off screen. (You only see the victims face) This still can be very disturbing. I didn't find it bad myself, however I can easily see how many would. It's well done, however it's slow, unlike the sequels. I suggest going with another film, even though this film has helped define the modern horror genre.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy November 26, 2014

Very intense

Violent, but not as violent as its rep suits it to be. Tons of strong language and some disturbing scenes. Also some sexual references
Teen, 14 years old Written byComputerGuy365 November 5, 2014

Great movie, not nearly as gory as the sequels

I'm sick and tired of people saying that this movie is very gory and bloody without them even have seeing the movie. "I read it on wikipedia" you have not seen the movie you cannot say anything about it. Different people perceive movies different ways. Yes, the later movies are very gory and bloody. THIS MOVIE, being the first one is not very gory. Most teens age 13/14+ can probably handle it. Only the first one however. Like I said, the sequels are much more gory compared to the first one. While it does not have much gore, there are many extremely disturbing scenes that I would not recommend to somebody who gets scared easily. One thing I do not understand is why CommonSense gave the movie 1/5 stars. The movie plot itself is very good and definitely less gory than the sequels. While there is horror involved, I feel that this movie is more of a mystery or a thriller rather than a horror. Great movie overall, I would recommend this to someone who likes a bit of a scare, but nothing too bad. Do not watch it if you cannot handle blood. Overall 13+, depends on the kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrave day November 3, 2014

Not nearly as bad as it is portrayed

This is quite violent but not nearly as bad as people say it is Sex & Nudity 2/10 Violence 8.5/10 Language 6/10
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieBrowser October 29, 2014

NO NO NO!

This movie is horrible do not watch. It's not the movie it's all the stuff in the movie that is terrible. The movie isn't but everything in it is horrible trash that is not good to fill yourself with. Terrible messages (acctully no message), terrible launguage, and terrible filthy launguage. I'm warning you this movie is not good to watch!
Teen, 14 years old Written byspring_sweaters October 23, 2014

Depends on the Person

I greatly enjoyed the whole SAW series, although what they lack in realistic fake blood, they make up for in a decent story line. I've always enjoyed gory films, no matter how bad the story line, but it really does depend on how squeamish you are. The 'Reverse Bear Trap' (personally, my favourite trap) really scarred my friend and resulted in us having to watch 'Frozen' twice in a row just so she could get over it. Despite the fact that this is considered a 'sadistic' film, I honestly think there is some good messages in here about learning to appreciate life (the guy controlling it all did have cancer and believed certain people didn't truly appreciate having a fully functioning body). Overall, would say this is a great Halloween movie, but know yourself before you watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBazza844 October 18, 2014

Very good movie!!

This was my first ever horror movie and I absolutely loved it! There wasn't really any jump scares or creepy moments, but it still can effect you in other ways as well. There are references to suicide and much swearing including s--t, f--k and many more. Also there is quite a lot of blood as well, so make sure that you are fully prepared to watch it :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byHorror_Movie_Lover September 4, 2014

Great Horror Movie

This is probably one of the my favorite horror movies of all time (for now). But, it can be disturbing to children or teens, like the images of torture. Way to may f bombs for older tweens. There is a few sex jokes, but that is about all. And of course, the blood, this SAW is not as bloody as the other SAWs, I would say this is as mild as the SAW movies get. This is truly a great horror flick, I think Common Sense is very wrong about the rating, but that's my opinion. Adults and teens, WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old August 27, 2014

Cheesy Gore, but still a Chiller.

As a start, I want to cover Saw- this one of the movies is quite old, so the effects aren't that bad, which is good for kids my age who've seen all the movies anyway. It depends on the child- once a kid said to me she watched it 6 months ago and she still had nightmares (but from looking back at her face psychologically she may have been exagerrating, either way she didn't like it), and another child my age, "Saw? Oh, yeah. I've seen them. Not really that good." Then the final thing you'll here from the smart kids that are into psychology like me, "Huh? Oh I love the certain aspects of it. The emotional theory, the concept, the detail in it, the traps, storyline etc" So. You have the squeamish guys who haven't ever really swallowed gore, the kids who don't mind it but don't understand it, and the kids who love it and get it. Thats a rate factor you should consider when watching. Now for explaining... Firstly- Summarizing the traps. This movie is not bad for gore, in my opinion. You don't see anything really bad, and the effects are corny. But it's the thought of what they have to do, and the bodies left over. These are the parts with gore: *SPOILER ALERT* The bathroom scene- The gore in this is the 'dead' man in the middle of the room. With blood effects on the back of his head, and him lying in a pool of blood, it isn't very realistic but it sure does give the area a chilled look. The severing of the leg in this isn't seen, but again the thought of it- yikes... also the swearing in this is at a large, and the capture of Lawrence Gordon's family may be frightening to a few. The Razor Wire Maze- This scene is more frightening than blood-filled. I think the worst part in this is the fast paced moving and panoramic camera and screaming saw is known for. You don't see any blood-shed and you don't see him get tangled, apart from the corpse, which again is rather scary. No swearing, he is half-naked if that could be a problem, but I haven't tagged this with sex as I really don't feel it has that much profanity in it. The Flammable Jelly- I'll forewarn, although you don't see anything bad on him, the man in this is fully nude and this may also be a gore/fright mild warning because you see him on fire. The Reverse Bear-trap- This and the next two are the worst three in the film. The fact you see what would happen to Amanda if she failed on a polystyrene head is enough to give any immature enough kid nightmares. And the worst is seeing her open up her cellmate's stomach, when you clearly see Jigsaw lied that he was dead, but she didn't know. The suspense gets you, mostly. Drill Chair- This would have been the worst had it not been stopped by Detective Sing. Personally I found this was the most suspenseful, even overdoing Reverse Bear-trap. It isn't as frightening, though, apart from the screaming and edge-of-your-seat suspense. Quadruple Shotgun Door- This was the worst for gore- you actually saw the gore in this 'shot'. It might make a few jump though. Secondly, my ratings. Great messages? No, on a base ordeal... but I suppose you could put it lightly as a joke and say the moral is to think carefully about what you do, and the consequences of your actions- No, you're not going to have this happen, but for example, the man who cut his wrists, he could really cause damage for no reason at all. He didn't think. Role models? Well, if Jigsaw didn't do what he did at such a mass calamity, you could say that he represents the person that tells people the consequences of their actions. Thats all. The victims are bad role models, too. Ironically. The violence is what saw's about, but this is the least worst. A forewarning- if your child or teen doesn't mind this- it DOES NOT mean they won't mind the others. They increasingly get worse, my mother said she could view the last, I have only seen This and III, which has a huge contrast in gore, I would most likely rate it 18. The Fright in this is mild, more chilling on the camera pans and speed-ups, but it's more of a gorefest than a creeper. There isn't any Sexual content. There is a mass amount of swearing, that ends with the F word. Nothing to do with Money. There is one reference to Drugs and possibly smoking, but thats the bare minumum.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDaniel Sakara July 8, 2014

Only watch it if you can get over plot holes.

If you can get over plot holes then watch it. The movie consists with tons of plot holes, and the sequels do manage to explain them, but the sequels are just terrible them selves. But the unexpected twist ending is so astonishing, that you just forget what went wrong with this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjacobkolstad May 5, 2014

I am not a really fan of gore

Well, for me this was a well-crafted movie, a very nice storyline and everything, but if you don't like blood or gore, don't watch it. I am not a very big fan of blood and gore but I still like the story of this movie. Also the language is not very nice either, but not enough for me to press the "Too much swearing" button.
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2014

Violence!!!

This is hard to watch and it violence. it not for kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 March 16, 2014

This is a great physiological horror movie unlike the others in the series

Understand that this movie in terms of violence doesn't compare to any of the other movies. I would say this one was more for the plot unlike the other gore filled movies that were labeled "Saw" movies. This one is the least goriest and the MPAA definitely overrated this movie by far. This one is the least goriest and violent... now don't get me wrong it features quite a bit of violence, but it is no where near as explicit as "Saw III" or "Saw: Final Chapter". Also it sounds as if there would be a lot of language, but for an R movie I would say it is rather mild. To me this movie is soft R, and was made out to be worse than it actually is. Suggested MPAA Rating R: Strong Horror Violence and Language
Teen, 14 years old Written bySplats March 2, 2014

Better than expected

Pretty low-budget and filmed in just a few days, James Wan's controversial debut "Saw" quickly grew out to be one of the more succesful horror franchises of the 21st century, even though all its sequels, with no exceptions, are dread-awful, uninspired gorefests, whereas the original actually has a lot of suspense going on for it next to all the creative torture. The twist at the end (the reveal of Jigsaw's identity)'s quality is debatable, but I found myself very intrigued and satisfied by it. Doesn't make it the big leagues (Hitchcock! Kubrick!) qualitywise, but it's no doubt worth a watch if you want to see horror done right.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2014

OK FOR 16+

bloody and bad words
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2013

so bloody and bad language SKIP IT!

i think is good for 16+ because blood and strong language (never seen but heard)
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

Saw

Is this a joke, what the... not for kids??? It wasn't scary at all!!! Because it is a horror film i made my younger brother watch it with me and we both enjoyed it. It was an OK movie but not amazing probably a two or three star!!! I think most kids will be able to handle this movie though, not that scary but still for a kid who is mature enough. Quite a lot of blood but other than that not too bad!! Hope i helped!!
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2013

A Great Thriller

A great movie that has an interesting plot, awesome traps, and a great twist ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 9, 2013

Why one star?

Why one star? Just because it's bloody means you hate it? I differ from csm's review. There's CERTAINLY NOTHING possitive about it but that dorsn't mean you should despise it. Whoever wrote this review is probably too young to see Saw. The best part about Saw is it's plot, it's great. Oversll, great movie, I recommend it to older kids and adults that are a fan of horror.
Teen, 17 years old Written byhomealonefan123 July 7, 2013

Gory, but a very entertaining horror movie!

Parents need to know that this movie is great but not for kids under 13. There is tons of bloody violence, including getting intestines ripped out, getting their head blown off in a shotgun trap, bloody dead bodies and more! There is a brief reference to pedophilia, other sexual references andome strong language.