All member reviews for Schindler's List

Accurate, heartbreaking masterpiece about the Holocaust.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byphilliesphanatic12 February 11, 2010

good for anyone whos not an imature tool thats laughs at the word poop

this movie is good for anyone 12 and up. its 3hrs long and hard to follow and understand if you are under the age of 10. there is 1 scene of sex, but its only visible form the side and only breasts are shown, but there are scenes before people go into the gas chambers ( though its not sexual of course ) who are completely naked, there are point blank shootings and a few uses of bad language, but it is one of my favorite movies of all time and. it is very sad at the end so watch it
Adult Written byPandorasbox13 August 4, 2009

A Postitive Message Shrouded in Brutality

This is another one of those films from Common Sense which they lower the age range simply because it has very positive messages about the goodness of the human heart. Don't be fooled. This is a terrific and realistic portrayal of what happened to a large group of Jews during Nazi Germany. On that note, the violence is stark and hits very hard. It is often brutal, and the only color in the whole film other than the very beginning and end is blood. In some of the scenes, women and men are naked, being publicly humiliated because of their creed. The drinking and smoking is at an okay range, which is fine for a rated R audience. The bad guys are obviously bad, and the good good, so no problems there. It is obvious who the bad role models are, therefore there arn't any problems in that area. I'd recommend this film to anyone interested in great cinema, but children should definitely not watch this movie, along with no one under age 17.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjal34 January 11, 2009

desterbing great gritty

this is a outstanding movie that everyone should see at some point, it will change you. We see jews being tortured shot at point blank range and it doesn't hold back it shows the harshest and worst of humans and you ask yourself how can anyone do such a thing. We see fantastic character development through Oskar Schindler and ull see also the kindness of humans. What age can handle it completely depends after i myself saw it doent want to have anything to do with WWII again in my life others might inspire them to learn more it just depends.
Adult Written bycatymg July 2, 2011

Important film for adults, not kids.

While this film is epic and very realistic toward the Holocaust (a very tragic part of history everyone should know about), it is not for children. They can wait until they are adults to watch this movie. The violence will stay with them, in their minds and hearts. I believe it is far too graphic and realistic for children to witness.
Teen, 16 years old Written byluke3854 June 6, 2010

Should be on of the first R movies your kids see

This has a very positive message dont listen to the people saying Its not for people under 17. This movie needs to be seen at 10-14 It depends on maturity but 15 at the latest. Kids need to be exposed to stuff like this kids now seem to glorify war and violence and think people will just be ok at the end of the day.So you need to show them some deep stuff. tweens and teens should see this end of story I watched tis at 12 and watched Saving private Ryan at 12 and it was a strong thing to watch but it tought me that war isn't fun and cool it is hell. Yo should not shelter people I am thankful that my parents showed this to me younger. Just make sure you talk about the movie afterwards to further the point. kids need to see war for what it is
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion March 13, 2011

Essential Movie

I honestly believe that if you see just one WWII/Holocaust movie in your life, it must be this one. SCHINDLER'S LIST is a heartwrenching, brutal, yet ultimately uplifting movie that is an essential piece of entertainment for all adults to see. Everyone MUST see it at least once in their lives. It's a spectacularly powerful and admirable movie; one that will doubtless keep the Holocaust in the memory of generations to come. If you are over seventeen and reading this (and haven't seen this movie), watch it as soon as possible. However, now we get to the difficult question. Should kids see it? I believe that the answer is a strong "yes." First off, when kids are so often desensitized to violence and war, this movie will show them the brutal realities and consequences of murder and genocide, and I guarantee it will change their viewpoint forever. Also, in an age when so many people make light of the Holocaust or even deny that it ever happened, this movie is a brave tribute to the time period. It is, in a sense, a living memorial to Holocaust victims that should be viewed anew by every generation. However, no one who has seen this movie can deny that it isn't just your average R-rated movie. This film is an "experience" that has the potential to change your child forever, in a positive or negative way. Normally I don't agree with people who speak of movies "damaging" children's psyches, but if this movie is shown to a child at too young of an age, it could scar them (no exaggeration). The violence in the film is almost unbearable to watch, and the B&W cinematography doesn't make it any less graphic. There is at least a good thirty minutes straight of the film that is devoted to showing the slaughter of innocent victims. A man and his dying wife are shot point blank, with blood splatter and extremely graphic spurts. When a man is shot through the head, gore spatters and you see the back of his head rip open. Children are also victims. We see children and their parents being torn apart or killed by Nazi officers, and the camera doesn't flinch. I'm not a particularly sensitive movie-goer, but I was bawling through at least an hour of this movie. The violence is so realistic and disturbing, even for adults. In addition, you see a naked man and woman having sex (waists up, you see the outline of her breasts for less then a minute, but no explicit nudity, since they are interrupted). Two topless women are seen in bed, but neither in a sexual context(in one, she is just sleeping, and in the other, her lover is executing Jews right outside of the bedroom and the scene is terrifying as opposed to sexual). Full nudity of both men and women is seen in a violent, concentration camp context. The "f" word is used a few times, but in all honesty, that should be the least of your concerns when deciding whether or not to let your kid see this movie. In short, SCHINDLER'S LIST is an amazing achievement in film. Please view it alone before showing it to your kid, or watch it with them and discuss it with them. I don't believe in editing out the more explicit parts; just wait until your child can watch the whole movie and get the full impact of it. Afterwards: Discuss, discuss, discuss! That's what this movie was made for.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymadlion924 July 22, 2009

Positive message excuses negative elements

This movie did have a bit of sexualized nudity..but the powerful messages the movie conveyed about what was right and true in the world outweigh the sexual moments. There is full frontal nudity of both males and females however it is not sexual in nature in anyway. This movie does have a great amount of violence, but it was the Holocaust. You can't sugarcoat that. The language was also very strong, but it was part of characterization, not just thrown in to make the movie funnier or more crude. Schindler's List is a movie where it really makes you think about what is right in the world and what lengths doing the right thing is worth going to. It's powerful message outweighs its negatives. In conclusion, you know your kid and what they can handle and what their maturity level is.
Parent Written byPlague April 6, 2010

Schindler's List

A great holocaust based film, and a true masterpiece.
Educator Written byMrMahon October 13, 2011

An Educational must see

I Showed this in a school film a club from ages 13-16. I made sure throughout the film I would explain why these things were happening to the Jewish people and the persecution throughout. The students were horrified by the events but as long as the understanding was their this is a valuable film in retelling the artocities of the holocaust especially as it not afraid to pull any punches. Certain sexual scenes are unfortunate but some nudity scenes are valuable especially when showing the Jewish humiliation from the NAZI's
Adult Written bycastrato September 11, 2011

Excellent movie

Actually, Schindler is a poor role model. The point of the sex scenes involving him are to show that even though he was empathetic towards the Jews, he was still a womanizer and completely faithless to his wife. The sex scenes involving Goeth show the absolute animal nature of the man, how he was ruled by his cruel nature and his animalistic desires. He lost his 'love' because of his gambling addiction and was frequently in trouble for misdemeanors due to his alcohol addiction and his violent tendencies. Though it's fraught with historical inaccuracies it is also a very powerful film and shows the conditions of the Jews during the Holocaust and for the most part explains Schindler's nature exceedingly well.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysebastien June 5, 2010

OK for kids 12 thru 14 if they have a parent, but not younger
Parent Written bymelissae1 May 11, 2015

Not for young teens or schools

Although the movie subject is very important I do not think it is appropriate for younger teens. Also, I do not agree with schools showing this film. Parents should be present to discuss the film with their children. There are more than 25 "f" words in this film and nudity including a sex scene with "moaning". There are other movies and documentaries that can show the these horrifying historical events without the Hollywood spin.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjm11 May 22, 2012

Schindler's List

It was 1993 when the movie Schindler’s List was released. It was a powerful testament to the suffering of the Jewish people during the Second World War. The film won seven Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director, directed by Steven Spielberg. This true story follows a greedy German businessman named Oskar Schindler who is transformed into a humbled man, wishing he had saved more lives. Almost the whole movie was shot in black and white. This was because of the idea that the horrors of the holocaust speak for themselves. There are a few scenes in colour which show subtle messages about what the holocaust was about, such as the candle blowing out during the early moments of the movie – this symbolises what the Jews felt and how their hope diminished during the holocaust. The plot is based on Schindler’s efforts to save over a thousand Jews from almost certain death in concentration camps by getting them to work in his factory. He bribes officials and befriends Nazis in his quest to do so. SS-Lieutenant Amon Goeth is portrayed by Spielberg as a mean and hypocritical villain. He chooses a Jew to be his slave and later in the movie finds himself in love with her. In a shocking scene, Goeth goes out on a balcony and just shoots people at random. His slave and lover, Helen Hirsch, watches in disgust. Goeth acknowledges this but does not care - he is an evil man. During one moment in the movie, Goeth excuses a child for not being able to clean a bathtub; we see a compassionate side to him. A few seconds later, he shoots the boy dead. Spielberg cleverly compares SS-Lieutenant Amon Goeth and Schindler as two sides of the same coin. They both love the finer things in life, easily influenced by money and women. Schindler, however, tries to show that power can be better served by sparing people's lives rather than taking them. The last scene of the movie is of the real Schindler survivors and their descendants visiting his grave in the present day. This is very powerful and is a reminder that in saving one life, you save the entire world. I would rate this movie as it fulfils what Spielberg was trying to do. He created a tribute towards Schindler and the Jews for their immense bravery and courage. He also showed the holocaust in its true light and did not hide the horrific events that happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 November 19, 2011

Mature audiences only--and I mean it!

My rating: R for realistic and disturbing content related to the Holocaust and involving violent and bloody depictions of genocide, scenes of full-frontal and partial nudity, smoking throughout, a scene of sexuality, and for some strong language. Positive Messages & Role Models: 5/5 - The entire film revolves around Oskar Schindler, a man who puts his entire life at stake in order to save Polish Jews from the Holocaust. Violence: 5/5 - Point-blank shootings resulting in bleeding and death, a gas chamber scene, and after all, it all revolves around the Holocaust. Sex: 5/5 - One scene actually shows people engaging, plus there are around three or four full scenes including nude shots ranging anywhere from partial to full-frontal (shown as people strip for "taking a shower" as well as a few others). Language: 3.5/5 - Around ten uses of the F-bomb, plus one cruel anti-Semitic joke using the word "pr--k". Also, "b----rd" is used here and there, and frequent anti-Semitic insults are said. Consumerism: 0/5 - No problem. Drugs & Drinking: 3/5 - Cigarettes are puffed pervasively by quite a few characters (including Oskar Schindler himself), and it is unfortunately relevant for the time period. During party scenes, we see a few glasses of alcohol, but other than smoking, no other drugs are mentioned or used whatsoever.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byxboxgeek April 25, 2011

brilliant film and a must see before your 20

A britlliant film, really moving i think that every age should know about the holocaust but people put this movie down when they say its a inappropriate but i disagree i dont think there is anything wrong with nudity in films as long as its not used within a sexual content i cant beleive people can say this is a bad film because it has rape and nudity in it, because thats what happened in the holocaust.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEbud25 January 27, 2011

A Must See Movie

An absolutely amazing movie portraying a very accurate model of what the experience was like for Jews. I was shown this movie at school and it is very disturbing, but heart-lifting. I honestly had a hard time sitting though this movie, but it is meant to be that way so you can feel how those people felt. The iffy parts can be edited out easily without missing anything, as it was what they did at my school. This is a must see movie.
Adult Written byBennington May 18, 2009

There is another film coming out that relates to WWII called Iron Cross. It is actually Roy Scheider's final film. His character runs into the Nazi that killed his entire family, and together with his son, they set out to exact justice. It's going to be so good!! I downloaded the trailer and I can't wait for it to come out!!
Kid, 10 years old November 14, 2008

It has a very good message

Schindler's List gives a lot of detail about the Holocaust and how much the Jews struggled. Although the language content is adult sometimes, it tells you alot of how cruely the Jews were treated. I thought it was a very great movie! Age to see it depends on how well you can handle it and it may be different for everybody.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylin2211 April 9, 2008

one of the best movies ever made

This movie was simply amazing. I think that everyone should watch it at some point in their life but people under 13 or who are easily depressed should be warned that it is a very depressing movie. There are some iffy scenes but I think that most people can deal with them.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Amazing!

A wonderful portrayal of the bravery of one man- and how he saved many Jews from certain death!!! A MUST SEE!!!!