Standout Jack Black in nerds-become-cool comedy.

Parent Written byMovieAmma September 3, 2011

Not for a good moral but a good laugh

Movie is funny but low on good lessons. The characters are endearing and while Jack Black's character gets caught for his misdeeds, he doesn't really get punished.
Parent Written bymusicmama4 July 8, 2011

Great music and humor. Just talk to your kids about the dishonesty they pass off as ok.

Our family LOVES this movie. Jack Black is an adorable imbecile who learns some things during movie. The kids are cute, and learn to love music. Just talk to your kids about the dishonesty that they pass off as ok. Do you think the end justifies the means, or is dishonesty just wrong? Why? And I don't know why they had to use so much language for a show obviously aimed at kids.
Adult Written bykmartha April 9, 2008

Good for young kids

I watched this movie with my 8 year old daughter and felt completely fine. I had read the reviews before hand. The only possible iffy part is that the main character is somewhat of a slacker and isn't following the rules. It all works out in the end though. A good family film and my daughter enjoyed it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaa April 9, 2008

Great

Awesome movie.It should have been rated PG
Kid, 9 years old February 11, 2017

COOL

Kid, 10 years old December 12, 2016

Really funny movie with a lot of positive messages!

Your kids will probably really want to watch this even if they're not into rock music or any kind of music. Just the trailer will make your kids want to watch it. It has a lot of good music, including some David Bowie and some Ramones. There are some good role-models but there are more positive messages. The language can be bad, but it's mild. The worst thing they say is the "a" word, which is heard quite often. The substitute teacher makes the kids curse, but only for the music. Otherwise, this movie is hilarious and your tweens will love it!
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2016

Great Movie for Tweens and Older

This movie is really good. The only thing I would worry about is some of the mild curses and racy humor. The racy humor isn't too bad, of what I remember. The worst curse I remember is ass. But otherwise, amazing movie! :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byPoptropicapop January 30, 2016
Kid, 10 years old March 28, 2015
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

The Rock Movie

This movie has great taste in rock. I was never really a fan of rock I was more into pop. It's a whole new side of music. He teaches the kids that the have the potential to rock out. Dewy Fin teaches the kids about rock to enter them into a rock band competition called Battle of the Bands. It is a great inspiration to see that kids my age can be so musically talented.
Kid, 9 years old January 26, 2015

A Must See

Stop saying this movie is for 12 year olds. Kids should be raised to know the real world. I'm 10, and I know about a lot of stuff I shouldn't know. For instance, I got the crack reference in the movie. I got the groupie reference. Heck, kids learn this in school! Back to the movie. Exellent and hilarious. The kids cussing makes it amusing.
Kid, 9 years old December 15, 2014

school of rock is awsome!

i like the part where he give a lecture on the man!
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2013

Very funny, fun to watch with friends

I absolutely loved "School of Rock"! It was a very funny and unique movie, perfect for a "family movie night" as it's movie that can be enjoyed by both adults and kids alike.
Kid, 10 years old August 9, 2013

School Of Rock~THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FILMS!

Dewey Finn(Jack Black)Loves Rock N' Roll,So Much.But,When He Gets Kicked Out Of His Band,And May Be Forced To Be Kicked Out Of His Home,By His Friend Ned,Who Used To Be In A Band But Is Now A Substitute Teacher (Played By Mike White,Who Helped Screen Write The Film)And His Girlfriend(Sarah Silverman)He Needs Money.Quick.But,When A Principal(Joan Cusack) From A Local School Calls,Asking For Ned To Sub,Dewey Pretends To Be Ned,And Starts To Sub A Fifth Grade Class.Instead Of Teaching Them math,Science,Writing,Or Any Of That,Dewey Develops A Plan To Teach Them About Rock Music So He Can Get The Kids To Preform In The Battle Of The Bands,So He Can Get Money To Pay His Rent.Will They Win?Find Out In School Of Rock. Content Review: This Movie Could Have Gotten Away With A PG Rating,Considering Films Like ''The Three Stooges'' Did And That Had Worse Content Then This!Some Drinking Scenes Where A Principal Gets Drunk,And When Dewey Talks About Hangovers To The Class.Some Sexual Content,But Very Little.Frequent Swearing,A%s,[email protected],And More.This Film Is Better Then ''Nacho Libre'',Another Mike White And Jack Black Flick Where Jack Black Is A Wrestler.Anyways,This Film Is Great,The Cast is Great,And The Songs Are Great(You'll Have ''Teacher's Pet'' Stuck In Your Head For DAYS.)~switchfootfan
Teen, 14 years old Written byDinostomper July 2, 2013

Rock ON!!!

It's really good. The movie is all about the drive to do what you want to become better. It also teaches about standing up or "stickin it to the man".
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 19, 2013

Jack Black Is Awesome

Its so funny!
Kid, 9 years old June 10, 2013

GREAT MOVIE!!

Great movie has a lot of positive messages but only a few positive role-models the main character mentions getting a hangover to a class of ten year old kids a principal of the best school in the state hates beer but gets drunk anyways it has a lot of the use of the word @$$ a lot and 2 or 3 uses of $h!+ not too many but a couple people hold cigars and cigarettes. All in all it is a great movie- one of the best I've ever seen.
Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2013

Great movie with some iffy language.....

This movie is for 8 and up.I think that this movie has positive messages as well as role models, but the language is iffy. It is VERY inspiring with a not so cheesy plot line. Parents who are strongly cautious of swearing may not want their child seeing this movie. This movie contains some slight innuendo. Parents with children who repeat everything they hear should not let their child or children watch this. I think it is a good movie, but still slightly inappropriate.
Kid, 9 years old March 31, 2013

School of rock

School of rock is a great movie for all ages should be pg not pg13 also there is a bit of language
Teen, 13 years old Written byExtremeAlex77 March 29, 2013

Should be PG

School of Rock is an awesome movie with a really good message to never give up, and to fake an idenity which I bet gets to a lot of kids. This guy in the movie had a tattoo on his chest that said "sex" which is a little innaporiate. Language isn't really bad they use the d, and h word, the b word is used only once Dewy tells his students to get off their "a*s" and do some math which is a little innaporpiate. Dewey was trying to get money to stay his rent which is a little conserimum. Violence wise guitar smashing, and yelling is pretty extreme.