Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Scream

Graphic mystery-homage to teen-slasher movies.

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 May 11, 2015

Tongue in cheek horror flick knows what it is

After seeing "Scary Movie," (all four of them, I know, but it's a guilty pleasure) you can't help but realize that a little magic has been gone from "Scream" because the first movie mocked it so much. But it doesn't undermine it. The opening sequence with Drew Barrymore is still fantastic...just don't let her prominent appearance on the poster fool you! The movie makes tons of self-referential jokes, with stabs at Wes Craven's own franchises, Halloween and the Friday the 13th never ending franchise (it hasn't been around for a few years but it will). While it can't help but be a little dated because of the fashion, the music still holds up and the fact that horror movies usually do abide by these generic formulas STILL means that "Scream" will always have a timeless feel to it.

Adult Written byhomey335 May 28, 2012

One word. Terrifying.

Violence: 10/10- Extremely violent and bloody. Ghostface will stab the heck out of people. Sexual Content: 4/10- Sexual disscussion. Language: 7/10- Lots of uses of f**k and sh*t. Drinking and drug use: 5/10- Drunk characters and beer is consumed by teens. Frightining scenes: 10/10- Complete terror.

Adult Written byage 10+ October 16, 2011

not that bad

To tell you the the truth, this movie should have been rated pg-13. iI's really not that bad. So I'd say that if your kids are at least 12 and they want to watch this movie, it's fine to let them.

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
A few scares, especially the first scene, but overall a waste of time. I didn't connect with any of the characters, and didn't feel sorry for them as they got killed off. There are better slasher movies out there- like Psycho and Halloween.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byLeofilmer June 30, 2019

Classic horror movie...

This movie it's a madness but I like it.

Adult Written byChloe Lynn Cui ... June 25, 2019

Ages 16+

Ages 16 and up
Parent of a 9 year old Written byJackandeoin April 10, 2019

Eh.....

Well I had no idea how violent this was going to be!! Two men repeatedly stab each other. One electrocuted by a television and the other shot in the head twice. Also, 5 minutes into the movie we get our first kill. A young teenage girl called a b**ch and stab repeatedly in the chest then choked. And her boyfriend dies offscreen but shows him tied up and helpless. Way too violent for young teens!!

Parent of a 6, 12, and 15 year old Written byHailey Spring February 12, 2019

Genuinely a Great Movie

Honestly, it isn’t so bad. When I was 11, I discovered my love for horror. I saw all of the horrors back then. From Jaws, Friday the 13th, Carrie, Physco, all of it. This one was one of my favourites since it came out. I was never too scared of it. It’s more gory than scary. I showed it to my 15 and 12 year olds just a few days ago. We were very entertained. It’s a mix of horror-meets-humour. I always like it when horror is introduced sooner than later. I wouldn’t show my 7 year old, he can’t handle this yet, but I honestly don’t care otherwise if you’re a young person watching this. Scream was my go-to sleepover movie for years!

Adult Written byRarityfan October 3, 2018

Everyone panic!

It can be confused with the first Scary Movie spoof movie that was out around same date. Nice for a slasher movie Halloween teen party. Lots of versions of the Scream versions on DVD and lots of spoof movies too in consumerism.

Adult Written byCrayCray101 August 8, 2018

Amazing

It’s great, even tho I never watched it before

Adult Written byElizabeth J. June 3, 2018

Scream

I think scream is a very good movie on that is 100% worth watching , it has mild blood/gore and frequent mild language.But overall, I believe children 11 and up should be alloud to watch this.
Adult Written bydavispittman May 19, 2018

Entertaining slasher classic

Scream is the first in a very famous horror-slasher film franchise. Truth be told, it is entertaining. The acting is good all around, and I think the characters work well together. The language and gore is what most parents will worry about. Typical R rated profanity runs the gamit here, and the gore truthfully isn’t terrible in my opinion, that’s probably because I’ve seen a good many very gory slasher films. I’d say 14 year olds and older should be alright with the content presented in Scream.

Parent of a 8, 11, and 14 year old Written byEmily55555 March 10, 2018

Fun if you like scary

This is one of the best scary movies in my opinion because it is so scary and funny. However, now that I am a parent of a teen, I have some new thoughts about it. In the age of violence by teens in schools, I think this could be seen as an insensitive portrayal of kids who kill just for the thrill. Also, the main character feels that she should have sex with her boyfriend because he deserves it. She portrayes a real negative cultural role that many girls and women fall into. Her boyfriend is a jerk and she thinks it’s her fault for not giving him more physical affection. She is also a very courageous and fas-thinking character when it comes to fighting the killer. There’s also a lot of swearing and teen drinking.

Adult Written byNassir L. January 20, 2018

What’s your favourite scary movie?

Great scary movie but very violent. The murders are really brutal, teens get slaughtered by a killer in a mask who likes to play with his victims before killing them. There is also some really strong language, that is the least we can say plus some sexual scenes and drinking. Since the teens in this movie are about 16 years and up, that will be a good age to start watching it, perhaps not alone in the house while the parents are gone, those who watched the film will know why.

Adult Written byShane T. November 27, 2017
The R version around 14-15 and the unrated version 16.
Adult Written byJk12345 June 20, 2017

Enjoyable, thriller

Not completely bad for the R rating, my suggested rating rated R for strong violence/ gore brief strong language, including brief sexual content, and drinking

Adult Written byPizza G. May 26, 2017

Fun, clever slasher tribute has blood and cursing

Scream is an intense, entertaining horror movie that wittily plays on the clichés of the slasher genre. While most of the gore is stylized and only briefly shown, we're still witness to bloody stabbings and murder--the first killing in the movie is particularly intense, and results in a hanging. There's also swearing and, of course, teenage sex (because what slasher would be complete without it?). Should be alright for older kids, especially those interested in horror.

Adult Written byAnyoneButShortie . November 11, 2016

My review

I'm 10 years old and this is my favorite movie! I think this movie is for kids 13+ even though I'm 10, I love scary movies so yeah. It is very very gory and it is a slasher so the killer uses a knife and kills people. And there is a little talk about sex.

Adult Written byurmomantha March 17, 2016

My favorite favorite movie

The original Scream is by far my favorite movie of all time. It's gory, it's dramatic, and it's pretty funny. As long as you're old enough and don't take it too seriously - you'll be fine.

Adult Written byScaryLegoAdventure August 31, 2015

Very Bloody Violent Only For Teenagers

Scream is one of My favorite series i saw this movie when i was 8 i love it But this movie Is Very Intense and bloody Gore if had kids won't let them see this young even thought i did there really is no good moral many people die and main girl who is stalker by killer ghostface mother is Rape which don't see on screen there is some funny scenes there many hints of sexual scenes throughout whole movie some of death scenes can Disturbing sad so it not movie For Sensitive People there drugs and Drinking