All member reviews for Secret Window

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul April 9, 2008

Kid, 12 years old August 18, 2010

OK

This movie used a lot of the same scenes over and over again it seemed. But other than that I really enjoyed it. It was interesting, suspenseful, and had a good ending.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylaceynoel128 April 9, 2008

Pretty good

This movie is very scary, there where parts where I was too scared to look. There is a part where the is a screwdriver in a dog's and a man's head and some other scary parts.
Kid, 12 years old November 25, 2011

BORING!!!!!!!

too boring for anyone under 14 i think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byT-Rod June 19, 2010

Huh...what? Oh, hold up a sec, I'm trying to gather myself together again

What most people do not know is that this movie exists...and what most of the people who DO know this movie exists DON'T know is that this is based off of four stories by Stephen King. And if you've read mostly ANYTHING he's written, you'd probably feel the way me and Common Sense Media do. This is just, as King puts it in the novel, "Dreamcatcher: A Novel," "it was just SSDD for him"...and yes, the actual title has "A Novel" on it. But even so, this is a twisted movie, which, I guess, is sorta what King's good at. But still, it's the SAME OLD stuff story after Story after STORY! Sure, he did something diffferent with Shawshank, Mile, and some Body, but those were real good! And he didn't try doing MORE like them! I just don't understand.. Maybe they just didn't sell as well as his horror novels. Anyways, the violence isn't that bad, some sexual stuff, and the language is very bad for a PG-13, Whig is why I rate it "iffy" for 12+. Not much to say positive-wise. Bottom Line: If you like (and I mean REALLY like, like, OBSESSED with like) Stephen King or suspended with really big twists, then go check it out. Otherwise, you probably wanna stay away from it. Or, if you haven't seen any Stephen King stuff, and like suspense, go check it out.
Teen, 17 years old Written byrockin_cowgurl706 April 9, 2008

It was pretty good....

I liked it. I am not a person easily scared by movies so the scaryness of it didn't bother me.Just like every other movie, secret window had it's gory parts, but they weren't to much to handel. So if you are a person easily scared by movies, or just don't like blood and gore, i wouldn't recomend this movie to you. And other than the blood, violence, and scaryness. it was a good movie and it got three and a half to four stars in my opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycaicai1494 May 15, 2009

5 stars for Johnny!

Johnny Depp did a great job in this movie
Teen, 14 years old Written byhorselover326 April 9, 2008

good but not great

I liked this movie alot but I wouldn't go as far as to say I loved it. It has a creepy twist ending nobody saw coming which I liked and Johnny Depp was good but it wasn't exactly scream out loud scary. It's not appropriate for kids, because there is some pretty gruesome stuff in there, like screwdrivers through people's and dog's heads. I wouldn't let my kid watch this unless I knew they could handle it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjacks1145 April 9, 2008

MUST SEE

Secret Window is an excellent thriller with many twists and surprises that will leave you hanging. Based on Stephen King’s Secret Window, Secret Garden, the movie begins when Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp) discovers his wife is cheating on him. He spends most of his time in solitude until John Shooter, (John Turturro) a man he’s never seen before, shows up on his door step accusing Rainey of stealing his story. Shooter continues to threaten Rainey’s life and the terror begins. Written and directed by David Koepp, Secret Window draws you in with its building of tension throughout the plot. It is not easy to guess what will happen next. Koepp includes small hints which the reader needs to pick up on to understand the movie. His use of diegesis pushes his viewers to think outside the plot. I recommend Secret Window to people who enjoy a movie that you must dig beneath the surface to find what is really going on.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydanielle12 April 9, 2008

Warning- THIS IS A MOVIE SPOILER!

The movie Secret Window starring Johnny Depp is neither your typical thriller movie nor Johnny Depp movie. This movie is extremely similar to The Shining because of the main character’s condition and the weird feel of the movie. The plot is unique because while watching this movie most people don’t understand what is going on which is supposed to happen. This movie keeps you in suspense and wondering why Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp) has such a twisted character. Be prepared for startling scenes and blood filled cars. Mort Rainey is depressed because his wife cheats on him and leaves him. Foreshadowing his condition, she says “even when he was there it felt like he was gone”. Mr. Rainey writes a story with a twisted sick ending where a husband buries his wife in the garden that she set up outside of the secret window. This movie is extremely unique because of how the main character had written a story and is now living it. He lives this story through his second personality, John Shooter. Both John Shooter and Mort Rainey’s names are very important because as the movie progresses you see that Mort has a “rainy” personality and is gloomy and John Shooter translates to shoot her. This is when the story comes to life and Mort Rainey’s split personalities collide into one schizophrenic psycho killer. Although this movie had a terrific plot and unique ending it also had numerous flaws. Mort Rainey seems to dismiss John Shooter’s threats, making the tension between them minimal. This minimal tension makes the ending more obvious and seems sudden. The joining of the two personalities is not well paced or gradual. This movie would be most suitable for those over 15 years of age because it takes a level of maturity to understand it. Johnny Depp fans may not want to see him in this state although his acting job is incredible and realistic. Anyone who likes creepy thrillers or movies that need to be figured out would enjoy this film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydklink94 April 9, 2008

a little graphic for PG-13

i watched this one with my mom. it is REALLLLLLLYYYY story is insanly awesome. all of the acting is awesome. the twist is GREAT! watch if you like thrillers/horrors with big twists. Sex. the first scene is of Mort's wife cheating on him. nothing shone. Violence. MANY violent images. including dog with electric screwdriver through neck, person axed in chest, person with normal screwdriver through neck, screwdriver in back of leg, house burned, and 2 killings by stabbing with a shovel. yes i said shovel. language. lots of f's for a pg-13 i definately sugest for lots of Johnny Depp/Stepehen King fans
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Johnny Depp...

I watched this movie recently and to be honest i would excpect alot more form Johnnny Depp.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2009

It kept me on the edge of my seat

This movie had a great story line and Johnny Depp did flawless. It was a little weird though...
Teen, 14 years old Written bybooklover27 October 26, 2012

Good movie, perfect for fans of Johnny Depp

This movie does have some not very good reviews (as shown by common sense giving it only two stars) but I quite enjoyed it. If you are not a HUGE fan of either Stephen King or Johnny Depp, you might not enjoy it as much as some, but I love Johnny Depp, and I loved his role. There is a lot of violence in this movie, but nothing a young teen shouldn't be able to handle. Also, there are some suspenseful/scary moments, but nothing extremely frightening. Overall I quite liked this movie and thoroughly enjoyed the twist at the end.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWolfey May 14, 2014

"Secret Window"

Common Sense Media, You Are Saying That This Movie Is Rated PG-13... I Have The Movie And Its Rated M.. Besides That I Love This Movie (And Johnny Depp) I Think this Movie Is Great And Is More Appropriate For Teenagers 15 And Over.. ~Wolfey