All member reviews for Serenity

A bit clunky, but entertaining sci-fi.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMedia45 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008

Adult Written byBooktalker April 9, 2008

Excellent Story from TV series everything answered

The whole family went! Children from 13, 16 & 20, plus Mom & Dad. Great entertainment for this age group. Sexual sitations are vague. Violence is the primary concern involving social behaviors, drug modifications, eventually leading to cannibalism.
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

Great for Firefly fans!

Hubby and I were really looking forward to this movie and we weren't disappointed. Our kids are too young to watch (11 and under,) but good action and good moral point to the story-that everyone needs to believe in something. A few unexpected story surprises but a great movie.
Adult Written byjenteasley April 9, 2008

Adult Written bySicignano April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byLord Cheez April 9, 2008

Adult Written byrocketman April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Laughable

Kind of cheesy and confusing. Not particularly enjoyable.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykatiemay017 November 28, 2009

great movie for 13+

AMAZING!!! KAYLEE IS AWESOME!!! the Reavers are kinda creepy, but otherwise the movie is awesome. the space theme is cool, the effects are good, and the characters and plot rock. Firefly fans, Kaylee and Simon finnaly get together!!! GREAT MOVIE!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byst_patrick876 November 16, 2010

Firefly ends on a good note

this movie provides the perfect finale for the series
Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 July 14, 2010

Smart, funny, and entertaining western-in-space is too creepy for kids

Based on the 2002 show, Firefly, Serenity is basically a thanks-for-waiting present for fanboys who never got to see a second season. The story is fairly similar to the show: the crew of the spaceship Serenity try to sneak past the evil Alliance and the canniballistic Reavers to help two stowaways reach safety. While the strange western-in-space theme may be too odd for some to handle, fanboys will absolutely love it. It's funny, smart, well-written, and delightfully creepy. All the actors turn in memorable performances. The special effects are stunning. I can safely say this is one of the best sci-fi movies I have ever seen (next to Star Wars and Avatar). Unfortunately, kids will not get to share the experience, since this movie contains some jarring scary moments. The Reavers will scare the pants off anyone under the age of ten. And for tweens, there are too many sexual references to ignore. This film is best left for teens and up only. A+.
Adult Written bySabbrielle April 9, 2008

Genius

You will watch Serenity on the edge of your seat. The dialogue is snappy and when it's funny, it's very funny. The characters are layered and fascinating. This movie is about loyalty, the difficulty of doing the right thing, and making the best of what you have. Every family should have a copy. However, because of the intensity of many scenes and disturbing imagery, I would not recommend that any child 10 or under sees this. June 23rd is Serenity Day, when fans of Firefly and Serenity will go out and purchase the movie to show Universal there is support for a sequel. p.s. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays the "Operative," not the "Operator."
Adult Written bydbrenner23 April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written byLtHikaru April 9, 2008

The best, most overlooked film in a long time

I suppose this review is a bit biased, seeing as I'm a fan of the TV show (Firefly) on which "Serenity" is based. But this is a witty and imaginative movie, and the casting (which is the same as the TV show) is fantastic. I wouldn't let a younger kid see it, it's about right for people around 13-14, although there's much less sexual content and swearing than in a lot of other movies that have been rated PG-13. This could have gotten away with a PG had the show been more popular (and had Fox not cancelled it). A very good movie that is definitely out of its element, considering what Hollywood has released in the past few years.
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byMrs. W September 18, 2009

The idea revealed at the end (don't want to spoil things by being too precise here) is deeply terrifying and the stuff of nightmares for adults, let alone kids.
Adult Written byCastellanos December 31, 2008

Enjoyable Space Adventure

This is very enjoyable sci-fi, action movie. I would recommend this movie to any star wars fan, or anyone who like those space movies with lasers, flying in space, and explosions. There is a couple of swear words, (1 f**k, maybe 1 or 2 s**t and maybe 2 d**n) There is 2 scenes of kissing and one leads to an off-screen sex.There are many space lasers, gun and fist fights and some zombie cannibals. There are some sudden deaths of major characters, and one short scene of torture on a young girl. Overall, I'd suggest this for 12 year olds, but some 11 year olds would be okay.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycan u dig it? April 9, 2008

Everyone loves River-fu!

This is my new favourite movie. twaz awesome beyond belief. i havent seen firefly (teh series) yet. i plan to, though. it had everything one would want in a movie and, more importantly, it was not at all cliche or predictable. P.S. to bubbo: you are obviously norrow-minded and uninteresting. serenity is not laughable nor cheezy. go stuff yourself. also, i can kill you with my brain.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byrachel4missions April 9, 2008

Scary

I'm 18, but it was a little too scary in parts. I was glad to have someone safe to watch it with, or I would have been hysterical by the time the Reavers actually showed up. Not a movie for young kids. I wouldn't show it to anyone under 15-16. A little darker than the TV series, but still exceptionally well-written and better morally than anything else out there. I don't know how it got iffy social standards, considering the main characters you're rooting for are showing good morals.
Adult Written byMovie Man April 9, 2008