Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Thrillingly energetic dances on film.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bysancarlos1 August 26, 2010

Kidnapping is not acceptable.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with Common Sense here. The fact that a protagonist in the movie advises his brothers to carry off the women they want is reprehensible under today's social mores. The fact that all of the kidnapped women decide to marry their captors screams Stockholm Syndrome. I can watch this movie and enjoy it as an adult because I understand the difference in social norms. My 5 year old daughter won't understand this — and I don't want her to think of herself as property.

Adult Written bykellsitis April 7, 2009

Respect and Love

This movie has nothing to do with rape and it certainly has nothing to do with slavery. Millie stands up for herself quite well, but all the problems were caused by lack of communication between Adam and Millie. Adam was also ignorant in that he is an honest-to-goodness mountain man that knows nothing of manners or how to treat women, so his new and equally ignorant wife tells him how to do it. All of the Pontipee brothers are shown how to treat ladies with respect and though they capture their girls in a disrespectful way, they treat them with respect and woo them in a proper way once spring comes and they can spend chaperoned time together. See the movie and you'll love it!
Adult Written byjencovina November 23, 2013

Absolutely should not be seen by anyone

Almost two hours of jokes about rape and kidnapping set to song and dance, with the pivotal, defining quote being "They may be angry and annoyed (about a kidnapping and a forced "marriage") but inside they'll be overjoyed." This is more obscene than "The Human Caterpillar." At least the lead villain in that movie is cast as a villain, not as someone whose "foibles" are somehow forgivable by the end of the story.

Adult Written bySara E. February 24, 2018

Fun for the Whole Family

This movie is a wonderful example of how musicals (and movies in general) used to be. Filled with fun songs and dancing. There are some mild sex references, but they are so vague that your kids won't understand them until they're in their teens. And even then, because of the way these lines are delivered, there is no cause for concern.

Adult Written byjymn March 4, 2019

Maybe useful for educating people about rape culture...

This is basically a propaganda movie for how good and wonderful it is to violate consent. You could use this movie to start a meaningful discussion about how people can make even a terrible, evil thing look nice and fun. People who say this movie isn't about rape culture, don't understand the insidious nature of that culture. This movie takes place in a make-believe universe where kidnapping someone is A-OK and will cause them to fall in love with you. A universe where "No" means "just force me and I'll start to like it." Disgusting. And the fact that it's all dressed up with happy songs and cute romance just makes it more sickening. I would show my kids this movie at the same age I would show them the 24 TV show, which is set in a make believe universe where torture is quick, easy and effective. Then we could talk about how dangerous these false ideas are and how they can effect people's lives in the real world
Adult Written byDocD M. June 8, 2018

Contains old sterotypes - but a strong woman - Millie

Yes, by today's standards the kidnapping of the women is abhorrent. But, Millie called him out!!! Are you crazy Adam! - And banished the "suitors"all the to barn. She even made her "husband" earn her virtue. Then kicked him out after the kidnapping. She really stood her ground. This movie challenged all stereotypes. This movie provides opportunity to talk about how many things have changed. And the importance of family. But also how this matriarchs put these mountain men in line!!!! It also touches on classism - how the town viewed the lack of manners of the mountain men - and how the city folk didn't want their dames courted by these,.....well, hillbillies. This husband learned why his behavior was bad after he had his own child. I really enjoyed this movie. I would recommend it.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bystefaniet July 31, 2015

Too dark for a little one...

I agree with sancarlos1. Kidnapping of a "wife" is all too much of a dark reality in our world. Watching this movie without being ready to discuss that with one's children is a dis-service to them

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMamawolf83 April 28, 2015

Great introduction to Movie Musicals for Older Kids

I first saw this movie when I was about 7 years old, My mom had me watch it with her, after I mentioned to her that my school was performing a musical. I did not understand the whole "kidnapping" thing when I was that young, in fact it didn't dawn on me until I was about 10. This is a excellent example of the early style of the movie musicals, but I don't think this is the kind of movie you leave your kid alone to watch. In fact, most movies for kids should be shared WITH parents. I showed this movie to my daughter when she turned 9 because she has always loved movie musicals. The first movie musical I showed her was "Singing in the Rain" and even that I had to watch with her. I think so long as you take into account that you should watch what your kids watch with them, most musicals can offer a great glimpse into into the art of the storytelling through music.
Adult Written byandrewh2 October 29, 2014

I'm waiting for the Quentin Tarantino remake.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, A story set to music about a gang of seven violent, short tempered mountain men and their kidnap and abduction by force of a group of young women and the women's trials at the mountain men's wilderness compound. The women start exhibiting Stockholm syndrome, or capture-bonding, a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors. The story outlines their parents' efforts to rescue their children. As the story unfolds it takes an entire winter to reach and find out what happened to the women. I'm waiting for the Quentin Tarantino remake.