All member reviews for Seven Pounds

Melancholy Will Smith film is too intense for younger kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byJed95 December 26, 2008

Mixed Thoughts...

Though the movie teaches some life lessons, the main character poses as and IRS agent--his brother specifically. Laws were broken and suicide was committed. There was a sex scene that lasted 3 minutes--only barebacks and cleavage--making this movie inappropriate. I really did not pick up the storyline until after an hour. It was ok, but NOT a must-see.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEric Paul October 4, 2013

BORING MOVIE

Teen, 17 years old Written bysarahlayhay March 20, 2015

One of my favourite movies but, it is not appropriate for young children or tweens because it deals with serious topics for example; abuse and suicide.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeriouslytholikebrah December 15, 2014

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat... You want some? I give it Ya...

This film is amazing, its just a pure master piece, its perfect for putting my kids to sleep when they get to hyped up. Usually the first few minutes of the film get them sleepy but some times they eat too much candy so I have to play another ten minutes of the movie, at this point it even puts me to sleep so I have to drink coffee just to make sure I can out last the kids. Seven pounds has to be the best Lullaby ever made in movie history. Its a huge seven pounds of pure shit, and its perfect. 10/0 wouldn't recommend to watch as a film.
Adult Written byYasmin1232 February 4, 2012

Fab.fab.fab

Fab film but for children under the age of really 13 I think would be a bit upset with what happens as you see him comit suicide but overall great film really enjoyed it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUnwritten June 6, 2011

Depends on maturity

Teen, 13 years old Written byMaAlBe April 16, 2011

Good Movie; For Certain People

This movie? Absolutely loved it. My favorite movie all-time. The problems for me was a little bit of disturbing violence, some bad role models and a few negative messages. Any pre-teen seeing this should be very mature. Although the movie is amazing, I do not recommend it for young children, weak stomachs or anyone prone to nigtmares.
Teen, 13 years old Written byollaff May 25, 2010

Good movie, but the role model does bad to do good.

This movie is hard to review without giving something away but there are some "kissing" scenes (more then kissing). The movie is about a man who is going to commit scuicie. THAT IS ALL I CAN SAY!!!! The movie can be confusing but it all wraps up together in a great ending showing you everthing that happened. A must see moive for anybody who won't mind crying (dont watch this with your friends) WATCH IT!!!!!!!
Adult Written by4Spice October 22, 2009

lots of good points 12 and over

its one of those movies thats trying to show a good point and it did good movie truth is its kind if sad it might break your heart it all depense on you 12 and over
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2009

amazing movie, sad, but amazing

i love this movie we watched it at chapel in school and we talked about how sometimes guilt takes over and so yeah. will smith did an amazing job and over all it was good. a bit violent, especially when he commits suicide (i had to cover my friend's eyes). i cried, and this actually happens to people in real life. to see it or not to see it... it all depends on maturity. yup!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byprotectingminds August 21, 2009

Adult Written bylisasasa June 5, 2009

I always like watching Will Smith and thought he did an excellent job portraying someone so sad... It was hard to comprehend the point of the story until near the end and then the realization of what he is doing is so gripping & compelling, I too, like another reviewer, almost could have sat through it again to see how the story was told when you really "knew" what it was about. I don't think it's a teenager movie, their thought processes are too black & white & they are too impressionable to comprehend such sadness & such "gifts". But I wouldn't demean the movie as morally flawed. People ARE morally flawed. It's not an educational movie designed to encourage breaking the law & commiting suicide. Nor is it a betrayal or phony to fall in love with the right person at the wrong time or to not be able to forgive yourself or a terrible mistake. Ultimatley, it was an entertaining, intriguing movie on a complex emotional adult level. Definitely not the Will Smith of Hancock or the Man in Black nor the Fresh Prince.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypaltra May 26, 2009

sad but i liked it

This movie was VERY good and Will Smith does a great job portraying a very depressed character. It is very sad but still very good.
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byDebster460 April 19, 2009

Great movie for older kids...

This movie is great for older kids 13+. They would need to understand that this man cannot take back what he has done but gives totally of himself to help others feeling this is the only way to make some sort of amends for what he has done. Will is one of my favorite actors and what a message he brings to the screen.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygoofysaby April 16, 2009

not the best

The movie was kind of confusing in the begining but then you get it in the end. It's not realy the best movie to recommend to watch and kind of boaring.
Adult Written byPhilly30 March 31, 2009

Long Depressing Movie---Will Smith is Really Good

Long depressing movie. Some good moments. Will Smith and some of the other characters have some great moments.
Adult Written byshyplatano February 23, 2009

miguel's review:)

I Loved this movie and think Will is a gifted actor. This was a different role for him, and i believe he was overlooked in the oscar race. It is a little depressing, but you have to understand it is just a movie, and its a really touching drama. I highly recommend it, if you love Will Smith's movies.
Adult Written bybrendaH January 13, 2009

Will Smith Excellance!

While I must admit that in my eyes Will Smith can do no wrong so I am slightly prejudiced :), I will try to give a straightforward, unbiased review. I thought while a very different and uncharacteristic role for him, Will played it with extreme skill! The movie was very confusing until about 3/4 of the way through but that was clearly stated in any pre- opening ads. Once everything came together, it was apparent that Wills portayal of Ben is of his usual acadamey-award-winning caliber. The message carried some amazing and intense messages. The way in which he died at the end was admittedly a little distubing so I would not take a young child to see it, but the message was good. I would think that the movie should be fine for any one over the age of 15 or so.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn January 10, 2009

I thought that this movie was pretty good. It wasn't the best movie that Will Smith has made. I like the persuit of happyness and hancock much better. Overall, though, I would give this movie about three stars. It is worth watching if you are mature enough to handle it.
Adult Written byaanaart1 January 9, 2009

Moral Misdirection

Seven Pounds has competent-to-good acting, good production values, and an intense, sentimental, surface message. The protagonist, suicidally depressed, seeks to expiate his guilt over causing the deaths of his fiance and six others in a motor vehicle accident. He finds seven unfortunates in various fiancial, emotional, or health problems. It ends with his suicide set up so that multiple organ transplants can be done. The moral flaw is that he lies, breaks laws, and kills himself in a mistaken effort to seek self-forgiveness. He plays God, lets a woman fall in love with him, and ultimately betrays his adult responsibility to deal with life. A sometimes slow paced movie, it will give a false impression of true altruism and love.