All member reviews for Shark Tale

Fast, fresh, funny action comedy set undersea.

Adult Written byKristen Breck April 9, 2008

Sexy, manipulative fish and mob humor for kids?

This movie was visually interesting, but my kids were dizzy by the end of it. There is so much adult humor and adult references that much of it was lost on the kids, and shocking to me. Furthermore, I don't think that a slinky sexy fish charcater, nor mob humor and mob character take-offs are appropriate or funny for my 6, 8, and 10 year olds. It was a frenetic movie with fast scene-changes, a culture icon-catering stereotypical take-off of nothing. I think it missed not only its audience, but a potential to reach sensitive kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 October 7, 2010

Underwater film is okay for kids

An okay film, not my favorite Dreamworks movie but it's good (an it had Will Smith in it so it had to be good!)
Adult Written byjchop April 9, 2008

VERY Disappointing

This movie is NOT for small children. In fact, I have a hard time deciding who this movie is for. In one word this move was ghetto. Hip-hop? Maybe. I'm very disappointed that Will Smith (whom I adore) would make such a movie. The plot is weak, it's laden with sexual innuendo (Lola) and the general theme really emphasized all you DON'T want your small children to learn. I can appreciate the entertainment value of the movie - but not for very small children. I suppose this movie is for 11-13 year olds??
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp March 3, 2011

Very crude. not for children.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bycatht January 22, 2010

Undesireable in every way

Teen, 13 years old Written by13199631 November 17, 2009

a movie for kids with a flirty dirty twist

well this movie is a hard one it has a little bit of questional gestures there is a song i like big butts older brother 14 started singing it and got in trouble this movie is a bout a fish who wants money and will do anythig he lies cheats and throws a party where a girl and him get all cozy i wuold say if your child is not a monkey see monkey do i would fast foward through some scenes
Parent of a 6, 16, 18, and 19 year old Written byindianajoe December 28, 2013

Animated blaxploitation

I got to watch this whole thing stuck in line in a Comcast office. I've never seen groups of characters so segregated from each other. Or so uninteresting. Or so mired in cultural and gender stereotypes. In the end it's just a dumb tale about characters with nasty traits who never get their comeuppance, about the male lead defining himself by his ability to impress the female of the species, and about dumb people being dumb. Unless you consider ghetto swag a trait you want to encourage in your kids you probably don't want them to watch it. I'm glad I was reminded of how much this movie wears its pants around its knees so I can avoid showing it to my youngest. If my older ones are anything to go by, by the time kids are old enough to get the jokes they're also old enough to find this movie supremely lame. I'd almost rather show them Fritz the Cat.
Adult Written bykeeyan January 29, 2012

a good movie

shark tale the movie makes kids under the age of 7 not to go to the ocean
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynikilj April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old February 8, 2015

PG-10

Contains mild threat and mildly scary comic violence.
Adult Written byiams November 29, 2014

Add to swearing

During the funeral scene, one of the mafia sharks says "burn in the depths of hell"
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2014

Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2014

This is hilarious. Will Smith and Jack Black were funny. Martin Scorsesse and Robert De Niro were good since they worked together in great films.
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2013

fun

it was good but fine
Kid, 7 years old August 14, 2013

Why not fish tale?

Might have nightmares if younger.
Kid, 10 years old August 14, 2013

half

there is some good stuff and inappropriate stuff, and might scare kids below 5, plus it's worse then Nemo!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperSonicSteve896 April 28, 2013

Excellent job DreamWorks Animation. *claps hands*.

Shark Tale was a really funny film. It was awesome. Everything was perfect from the CGI to the comedy. I have the DVD. That is proof that i'm a Shark Tale fan.
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2013

How is this a kids movie, Dreamworks?

This is definetly not for kids. They were using material like the godfather and words like goldigger, and come on, two characters were gay parodies of Bert and Ernie, and one person was a goldigger. This is a great movie, but not for kids!
Teen, 16 years old Written byndrwcd November 18, 2012

4th best movie of 2004

not as good as finding nemo but hey will smith and jack black are in it
Kid, 9 years old September 30, 2012

Mild comic violence

Consumer advice: Contains mild comic violence and scary moments. My consumer advice: Contains mild comic violence. Funny violence in the movie, quite a lot but not enough to say frequent.