All member reviews for Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Master sleuth returns in entertaining but violent adventure.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa July 27, 2013

2 is better than 1

This is a fantastic movie that I saw before the first one and thought it was amazing. RDJ completely captures Holmes' quirky ways, and Jude Law plays the annoyed, exasperated, newly married Watson who just can't stay away from his brilliant friend. Violence (bombings, shootings, fistfights and bodies and blood), a partial nudity scene is what parents should watch out for, and the tragic death by poisoning of the roguish Irene Adler, as well as the fact that younger children may simply not understand the extensive story line. ALSO there is a very uncomfortable torture scene where the villain sticks an iron hook through Holmes' shoulder and swings him around. A villain to rival Holmes (the book's traditional villain) and a climactic and perhaps unexpected ending if you nothing about Sherlock Holmes, together with a lot of humor and superb cinematography (there's a long but fascinating slow motion scene of Holmes and Watson running through a forest) make this an absolute go for family movie night, if you don't have younger kids.
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2012

Sherlock Holmes 2:A Game Of Shadows

Sherlock Holmes 2:A Game Of Shadows Is MUCH Better Than The First. This Movie Has Some Smoking And And A Good Amount Of Violence. But If You Put That Aside Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game Of Shadows Is A Great Movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn December 18, 2011

Sloppy sequel is still fun, still very violent

Sherlock Homes: A Game of Shadows, just debuted into theaters on Friday, and already it looks like it could be yet another one of those big box office disappointments that have been ever so much populating this year as a depressing little fact that people utterly tired and exhausted of sequels, remakes, reboots and other films of the sort. People are just tired of it. We want new kinds of movies. Still, it actually managed to be a fairly decent sequel to a fairly decent movie, with a much better villain, good action sequences, and a almost exhausting amount of slow-motion sequences that will give you a sure headache by the time the whole thing is done and over with, but so far, it still appears that it is going to be a very average franchise. So: The usual content is here, just like the original: Frequent and very intense action violence, some grisly images of dead bodies, one very crude scene containing brief nudity, frequent drinking, smoking and one drug reference. Also, there is a bit more profanity than the original, but it is still very infrequent so that it barely matters. So, if you liked the original, definitely check this one out if you can get the chance to do so this Christmas season, Just don't expect the third one to be a masterpiece, either.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOfficial Critic August 14, 2013

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Review

A sequel confident in what it's about - bigger, better, funnier, without stretching the joke. A Game of Shadows is a stronger, better realized movie that builds upon the strengths of the original and jettisons some of the weaknesses.
Teen, 15 years old Written byawsomescout December 22, 2011

Sequal still brings great action, surprises, mysteries, and good comedy.

I watched this with my friends on December 21, 2011 and we all loved it. But that doesn't mean that movies won't have down sides to it (meaning everything has pros and cons). There are some parts where you see some bloody stains on bodys after an amazing, intense action scene. Lots of destrucion on structures and buildings. A ton of slow motion moments (even when the main hero plans out how to take out certain villan[s]). There is even a scene where a man is naked (only showing his chest, back, arms, and head gladely). If you like movies that will make you think, movies with amazing slow-motion scenes, and movies with great comedy; then watch this movie 100%.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2012

Downey has done it again!!!

O goodness this movie only needs 1 word to describe it........ AWESOME!!!! It was a little more violent than the last 1 but it is still SOOO enjoyable and very funny (the end?)
Teen, 16 years old Written byWinsloop March 15, 2012

Uncomfortable Torture Scene

Towards the end of the movie, there is a very intense torture scene (of Holmes) mixed with a scene of high peril scene (for Watson). Although I cannot remember much blood on Holmes's part, the exact nature of the torture is very disturbing. The scene involves a sharpened over-sized parcel hook and a man screaming in pain. The scene of peril involves Watson hiding behind cover while being shot at by a sniper while attempting to get to Holmes. As a 17 year old, this scene disturbed me as did all scenes throughout the rest of the movie which hinged on the result of the torture. I would, considering the suicide, knife fight, dramatic death of a character, massive fireball-type explosion, foot chase of the heroes by men with machine guns, and the aforementioned torture scene, skip this movie for children below about 10 or 11. Below is a description of the torture scene. It is SPOILER-ish in nature, but I will attempt to leave out the reasoning behind the torture. SPOILER: Moriarty binds Holmes in a chair and demands information of him. When Holmes does not provide it, Moriarty jams a sharpened parcel hook into Holmes's shoulder and hoists him off the ground. In his attempts to make Holmes more forthcoming with the information, Moriarty pushes Holmes, setting him to swing about the room by the hook. Moriarty is aware of Watson's presence in the facility and to draw him to the room he and Holmes are in, Moriarty uses a PA system to broadcast Holmes's screams of pain over a record of classical music that he has set playing. In his attempts to reach the room wher Holmes and Moriarty are, Watson has to cross an open assembly area that has a large fixture in the middle of it. The sniper (a major player in this and the next movie) begins to shoot at Watson, preventing him from reaching Holmes. All the while, the sounds from the torture room are audible in the back ground. Eventually Watson realizes that what he's hiding behind is a sort of rocket launcher, which he uses to blow up the tower that the sniper is standing on. The tower then collapses and falls on the building which Holmes and Moriarty are in.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKontroledKhaos January 16, 2012

Better Sequel! Must See!

I personally really enjoyed this movie. I like the first one and the second was by far much better. If you didn't like the first, the second might be worth seeing. This is some sexual humor and one scene where a man exposes himself to a woman, yet she pays no attention and nothing is displayed. Violence is definitely in here, including one scene where Sherlock is hung by a meat hook in his shoulder but it is not shown directly. The language is not bad either. Sherlock does impose a role model with his battle against evil. I really recommend this movie, it's a great adventure, thriller, and crime. Really makes you think. Peace.
Teen, 15 years old Written byratdog586 January 13, 2012

great sequel filled with laughs and violence

this sequel to the popular 2009 sherlock holmes is hilariously funny and surprisingly violent in some parts of the film so parents you should be wary of the violence, mostly but this film has quite a bit of drinking too. but those who do see this movie are likely too laugh the whole way through its a fun ride and funny all the way through.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhagrid21 December 23, 2011

The Profound Pair Previals!

Again, you will be stupified by this masterpiece of a sequel as you were with the first! Great plot and wonderful cast! Some gunfights, fist fights (with slo mo like the first) and torture scene, gives this movie a well deserved PG-13. But I think that if your child is 12 or above they will be able to handle it. A bit unrealistic, though. A huge brick tower fall down on two men, with one climbing down the tower, yet they all survive with minimal damage. Two men tumble off a 3000 ft waterfall and survive. Really? But overall, this was an enjoyable and long awaited sequel!
Teen, 16 years old Written bysky65z December 22, 2011

Way better than the first

Parents i'll start by saying this is an amazing movie. If you enjoyed the first one you'll love this one. If you hated the first one and are hoping for a more traditional sherlock holmes story, this movie is not for you. Content wise- overall cleaner than the first one. violence- no gross bodies plenty of fist-fights and gun fights like the first one some of this is in slow motion which makes it more intense. Sexual content- plenty of sexual humor and one scene where a man is naked and books are strategically placed so you don't see anything. Language- not bad couple uses of d--n and the h word one scene where watson calls holmes b---d numerous times. Overall- this is a good action movie with a good story with a liitle bit of sexual content. Please if you enjoyed the first one go see this now! F.Y.I.- no supernatural elements this time.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 January 12, 2012

Holmes and Watson 2 movie

holmes returns for an epic adventure with 18% humar
Kid, 11 years old December 18, 2011

GREAT movie

Good Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byLadah123 December 20, 2011

AWESOME MOVIE

This movie isn't that innapropriate. My 8 year old sister watched it. It is AMAZING!
Kid, 10 years old January 8, 2012

Wow, that's is what this film is...

This film is great with BEAUTIFUL special effects, GREAT plot, HILARIOUS comedy, and so much more! (I haven't seen the first but II like this film) The special effects are as good as 'The Matrix' (Which are great to this day) in the action scenes and Sherlock's plans for those scenes and if I had to put this movie in one word it is 'Amazing.'
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2012

This is a good movie for christmas!!!!!!!

I loved this movie,I saw this one 5 hours after I watched tintin. This one is about Sherlock Holmes investigating the murder of a english police officer which is at the end of the first one. This movie is okay for kids. It has action scenes it is better then the first one this is one of the movies that Im going to buy on DVD.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJKB97 January 2, 2012

Still quite violent, lacks storyline but just what you'd expect from a 12A rated film

Guy Ritchie's take on the Sir Conan Doyle's classic is an action-packed thriller. I enjoyed the first film and love the slow-motion action sequences. I always find with these films is they lack in story and plot. Mainly, it's all about the action and Holmes' eccentric character and sharp mind. Except for Jude Law who plays Holmes' side-kick, Watson - I find the acting a bit weak from other characters. What families need to know is the film focuses a lot on the action: there is guns, brutal fights - basically anything you can expect from a 12A/PG-13 rated film. The language isn't that bad and the sexual innuendo is as you'd expect at a minimum.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRouge Leader December 21, 2011

Holmes Is Back and Better

The movie could be a little too much for a kid under 13. Its a great movie, it felt very tight and never dragged on. Its really exciting, escpecially with good effects showing bullets wiss by. As for seggistive things, the violence can be pretty brutal, bullet holes are shown in dead bodies and the suicide scene, MIGHT need a little maturity to see, as it is a little iffy. But its a great movie, good for kids 13 and up (maybe 12 with a few "look down" moments)
Teen, 17 years old Written bymovielover1 December 30, 2011

Jude Law rocks the screen

This was a great film, and a surprisingly well-made sequel. Both me and my movie-goer patron believe it is better than the first one. Besides, Jude Law is in it!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byWilliam Carter December 29, 2011

The Dynamic Duo Strike Again!

I have found this movie to be a great rendition of the Sherlock Holmes series and how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would've wanted his character to be like. I have seen it three times and absolutely love it. Better than the first in my opinion (and I loved the first). A true fan of the Holmes series and all things Sherlock would enjoy this movie. Especially if you are into filming. The overall shooting, acting, and special effects of this film are magnificent. Guy Ritchie (director) has done an excellent job. All of the camera angles, slow motion sequences, and everything are second to none. There are a few sequences of intense violence, that are not that graphic. Very mild language, little bit of nudity, and a bit of drugs (which is to be expected since it is Sherlock Holmes we're talking about). Plenty of humor, fun, good morals, and cleverness. Overall an excellent movie that I recommend anyone to see. It'll keep your mind enthralled and exuberated.