All parent member reviews for Sherlock Holmes

Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byjonisuke March 20, 2010

A Good Example of Literature in Film

Although not completely faithful to the literary character the portrayal of Sherlock Homes in this filim does seem to stay true to the spirit of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's intention. The counterplay of protagonist/antagonist is well-developed, but equal time is given to Holmes's need for his friend and his obvious care for that relationship. The film also provided an opportunity to recommend following up with a reading of some of the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which is the added bonus of encouraging an interest in "that other" media.
Adult Written byGoodreviewer January 24, 2010

Pretty good movie.

Nothing really bad in this movie except 1 scene where Sherlock is shown naked with a pillow over his crotch and he says that the key to get him out is under the pillow. (Non sexually) Very mild language, nothing to close your children ears over. The bad guys may be a little scary for younger kids though. Dead bodies and hangings are shown. Overall a very good movie. Just a bit long.
Adult Written byterra100 January 19, 2010

Watchable only because of Downey

Sort of a mindless, boring action flick with British morays. Lots of talking. Downey's British accent is much too heavy while his acting is top notch -- go figure.
Parent of a 3 and 11 year old Written byMumof2boys January 18, 2010

Great Adult Movie

Loved it. However I waouldn't take my 11 yr old son. VERY violent, satanic themes, sexual suggestions.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycaehip31 January 17, 2010

Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion January 16, 2010

SHERLOCK HOLMES is a smart, engaging, thrilling adventure film that will doubtless appeal to lots of kids and parents alike. However, the film is very gritty and violent. Lots of the plot revolves around satanic rituals that are frequently shown. In such rituals, suicide is prompted (but prevented) and animals are sacrificed and disected (with blood shown). Two scenes that will doubtless be disturbing for young kids: A man is shown drowning in a bathtub inside a darkened room, and another man spontaneously combusts and is shown writhing in flame. Aside from those, there are countless punches thrown, many close calls, and some bloody injuries. Two hangings are shown onscreen, but not up close. There is hardly any language though, and sexual content is limited to brief, mild innuendos that will soar over most kids's heads. This is a great movie, but it might be too startling for some.
Educator and Parent of a 2 year old Written bysabrinamoreira January 15, 2010

It is a good movie!

Adult Written byDarcywil January 9, 2010

The movie was boring and I fell asleep-I have never in my life fallen asleep in a movie, either. I was surprised it was so dull, because I like both Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. This felt like a poor documentary set to an Iron Man or some sort of 'super-hero' soundtrack. Rent it, if you see it at all.
Adult Written byreggiekoko January 7, 2010

Nowhere near as classy and well done as the Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone renditions
Adult Written byLakersJedi January 7, 2010

No one should pay money to see this movie - especially kids.

This isjust a poorly made movie that beyond it's mediocrity, has no redeeming qualities. I wouldn't recomend taking your kids because I wouldn't recomend it in the first place. Guy Ritchie ruined a potentially great franchise.
Parent Written byPlague January 7, 2010

Sherlock Holmes

Great movie! Had a lot more action than I had anticipated.
Adult Written bykeanve January 4, 2010

Fine for older kids who can pay attention

I don't know that I would say "too" violent, but definitely some serious fight scenes. Fairly mild for a Guy Ritchie movie though. Several dead bodies, including a few hangings. The movie was a bit too long, but in general a decent film. The banter was quick, and the plot was interesting but not confusing. Both Holmes and Watson had some personal issues that are mentioned or alluded to frequently (drinking and gambling, respectively), but they are dedicated friends.
Adult Written byzzzzzBaby January 2, 2010

I went to see it before letting my 16 and 13 year olds watch it. It was definitely violent, but nothing worse than some of the things I've seen in movies like Pirates of the Carribbean. It was a very well-directed movie with lots of action and character development that made it enjoyable to watch. I will feel perfectly fine letting my kids watch it.
Adult Written bydgunger January 2, 2010

Adult Written byilikemusik23 January 1, 2010

A strange movie

Well i wasn't expecting the movie to be what it was like. A very strange fast paced action mystrey movie. I'd say it be a better choice for high school kids who can pay attention because there going to need to if they want to understand the movie. There's violence but there is no blood and there's a breif sexually suggestive scene (but it's in the previews so you might know which one it is. Overall the movie i thought was just OK.
Adult Written bygreeen January 1, 2010

Better than most movies for Tweens and Teens!

I Love this movie! and as a teacher i know my kids have seen more and done more than is in this movie, its got a great plot line and ends perfectly i couldn't think of a better movie to let your teens go see!!
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written byJPpixiedust January 1, 2010

Be observant of the ones you love!

Very intelligent movie that reminds you to be observant of your loved ones. Beautiful film and completely engrossing from moment one. Relationships and action keep you guessing. Lovely to see the "old" style of sleuthing in action again. The maggot-infested corpse may be too much for sensitive kids under 12. London was a very dark and dirty place in the Victorian era, which may intimidate some young ones.
Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 16 year old Written byTotallywrite January 1, 2010

Fine for kids who can handle darker imagery...

The movie's themes are fairly dark, dealing with crime and the supernatural in a fairly Gothic style. I agree with the comments that a lot of the film will go over the younger viewer's head (as it did for my 12 year old son), but in an era where kids as young as 10 and 11 have read the increasingly dark Harry Potter series, if you feel that your child can handle darker themes and imagery (a corpse with maggots on its' face, frogs being boiled and dissected) then this movie is likely to be okay for kids 12 and older.
Parent Written bythepedens December 29, 2009

Adult Written byBobFijiwinkle December 28, 2009

Great movie.

It's great; however, there are a few unnecessary hanging shots towards then end.