All member reviews for Sherlock Holmes

Teen, 14 years old Written bydecemberbaby December 28, 2009

Amazing Movie

I loved this movie! Robert Downey Jr. is just amazing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBlackShadow February 14, 2010

Perfect for everyone!

Being a life-long Sherlock Holmes nut, I went to see this film with high expectations. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. I was reading the reviews posted previously, and I must admit I'm rather suprised at the number of people saying it's too violent or scary. I didn't think there was anything too scary in it, I even brought my 8 year old sister to it and she isn't scarred for life. Even if some scenes are a bit scary, the humour of it balances it out. I found this film a lot funnier than many comedies I've seen! Most of the jokes are perfectly appropiate, and although there are a few with double meanings, they'd usually sail right over the young 'uns heads. What I loved most about this film, however, is the friendship between Holmes and Watson. If anything, that makes the film worth seeing. The only itty bitty problem is that, although not directly shown in the film, is that Holmes is meant to be a drug addict. He doesn't take drugs in the film, though, the worst he drinks is something that Watson points out is "meant for eye surgery." I'd reccommend this film to anyone!
Teen, 15 years old Written byVivian_L December 26, 2009

Wonderful--

I saw this movie today with my family and I LOVED it. The characters, the story, the action, ect. It was a little violent, but my 11-year old sister was fine with it, and she understood everything pretty well. Also--I did read a few of the original stories, and I think this movie was a good addition. I recommend it to pretty much everyone 10+. (as long as they're not easily scared/disgusted)
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 December 5, 2014

Funny, witty, epic start to what I hope will be a trilogy, just with some violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byIrdray2019 October 8, 2014

Better for mature kids

I found it very fun and exciting, but it has a hard to grasp concept and content for young kids. I recommend tweens and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan September 20, 2014

Sherlock Holmes movie review

Guy Richie directed "Sherlock Holmes" brilliantly. The plot was so suspenseful and very interesting. The tone of the movie was amazing. It felt like we were actually with Sherlock Holmes. I loved how it showed Sherlock's methods of solving the mystery. It was very smart. The characters were very good and so was the acting. Although there are many positives to the movie, there are some negatives. To start, the plot drags a little bit when it was at a high point. Also, some scenes are rushed. Other than that, this movie is really good and if you like suspense movies, this one is very good for you.
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2014

This is a pretty good movie, with some sexual scenes and some violence. However, I think kids aged 12 and up can handle it, as the images are brief and does not show you much.
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2014

The Game is Afoot

Its violent, but that's about it. Its fine for kids 11 and up. I saw it when I was 10.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Profound detective flick may often be violent and dark, however it's entertaining, elementary fun. Unquestionably deserves PG-13 rating.

In "Sherlock Holmes" there is frequent violence, including gunplay, bloody fistfights (some in slow-motion, detailing each painful blow in wince-inducing fashion), and a few big explosions. Guns, knives, a rudimentary Taser, and poison are used in various face-offs; corpses are displayed (in the dirt with maggots visible, singed to a crisp after being engulfed in flames, and dead after drowning in the bath tub). Men are shown hanging from a noose, a woman nearly stabs herself. Animal carcasses are shown, hanging and sawed in half, a frog is shown mid-disection, and dead rats are seen. The bloodthirsty British Lord Blackwood has a penchant for dark, occult rituals. Sherlock is briefly shown naked and handcuffed to a bed, with only a strategically placed pillow covering his genitalia. He tells the chamber maid that the key to free himself is under the pillow. A woman undresses, her naked back is glimpsed. There is some flirty banter between former lovers, and a few quick kisses exchanged between them. Light on cursing; two misuse's of God's name and one "d--n." Holme's sometimes drinks to excess (and he isn't always picky about what he drinks to beth there); characters drink wine at a restaurant, Holme's smokes a pipe. The flick presents an earthier, brawnier, and glossier version of the literary/cinematic detective that most of us are used too... which is exactly why tweens will love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaflingerHorseHugger September 13, 2013

great movie

I first watched it when I was 13 there were a couple of bits that made me jump but I think it is okay for years 13 and up it is a great movie I hoped this helps
Teen, 16 years old Written byOfficial Critic August 14, 2013

Sherlock Holmes Review

There's a mystery at the heart of Sherlock Holmes, and it's not the one the great master of detection has been called on to solve. It's how a film that has so many good things going for it has turned out to be solid but not spectacular.
Kid, 10 years old July 15, 2013

Really, really, really, really, really, good and awesome

Edge of your seat thrills, clever mystery, and breathtaking action sequences in amazing film. This is one of the best movies ever! There is basically nothing wrong with this movie. My mpaa rating PG-13 for violence and action, and for some intense images and 2 brief scenes of suggestive material.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnozzlywins July 12, 2013

Not as violent as some bond movies! So yeah

I watched this movie when I was 11 and was fine but I have seen some really gory horror movies a lot worse then this. If you are not so keen on scary violence gory movies then don't worry there is hardly any gore but quite a lot violence. If you have seen casino royale it is no where near as violent as that. It all depends if your mature enough to watch this ( not for boys then ( they don't mature for ages) ) great story line good effects great movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGabanator September 21, 2012

Captures Sherlock Spirit

Great movie! I do not understand how anyone feels that this movie has nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes. Robert Downey Jr. was amazing in capturing the same sarcasm and witty humor from the book, and Jude Law made and excellent Watson. Some things the review did not pick up on; at the beginning of the movie, their are statues in the window showing naked men, but it is the same as you would see in an art museum, and kids go there all the time with schools. Also, a man talked about his son being conceived during a ritual and the mother not being his wife. This is a little hard to hear, but with subtitles is obvious. The language is very little for a PG-13 rating, and that was helpful, but their was one instance of t!t and that was not said in the review. Also, the violence could be a bit much for younger children. Because it was in slow motion, you can see every blow, and it is sometimes hard to watch, especially when they choke people. Another thing is the drinking and drugs. Sherlock Holmes' character was a cocaine and opium addict, but that was not expanded upon in the movie. However, it was said that he was drinking something meant for eye surgery, and throughout the movie, he was acting drunk, drinking, or smoking most of the time. Irene Adler was another big thing. She at one point drugged him, kissed him, and the next day, he is found handcuffed to a bed completely naked except for a pillow covering his privates...a very small pillow. Irene also undresses behind a screen, but we see her naked back from the waist up. She comes out wearing a very showy dress which Holmes raises his eyebrows at. Overall, the movie is laced with innuendos between them specifically.
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2012

GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!!

I watched this with my sister and I absolutely loved it! It is now one of my all time favorite movies! It is a great action adventure movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 June 12, 2012

Explosive Mystery Packs Thrills and Suspense

This is an intense movie, layered with jokes and mild innuendo. It's a very violent movie which is why you should think twice before letting kids watch it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 January 20, 2012

vhiftutfl

Holmes sleuths in action - packed but boring movie.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2011

Awesome movie,but a little scary

I love this movie! It has some parts where it can get scary. One part has Sherlock Holmes handcuffed to a bed naked. I can't wait to see the second.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn December 18, 2011

Ritchie's over-the-top sleuth adaptation is plenty of fun

Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes, which debuted into theaters back on Christmas day in 2009, was a huge surprise box office success, pulling in over $200,000,000 in U.S. numbers, and over $500,000,000 in worldwide box office numbers. So, if you haven't seen it already (which is a little surprising, I suppose, actually) I guess the kind of question that you would like t ask me is: Is it any good? Well, yes. It is a fairly well made, engaging and well acted movie. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. While it follows the lines closely to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic book series, it does however overload it self with intense action sequences,, that were not all that frequent in the novels, of course. But, I suppose that that is completely understandable, considering the fact that this is the modern audience. Still: The movie has frequent action violence, like I just mentioned previously, but it also includes images of dead and molding bodies, some bloody and grisly images, some casual drinking and smoking by Holmes, and two brief but rather crude sexual situations. Still, if you are a fan of Robert Downey Jr, like I am, than you will absolutely no doubt enjoy this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycherrycoke347 December 17, 2011

Coolest movie ever!

This is my favorite movie EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I won't sugar-coat it just cause' I like it. You briefly see Sherlock Holmes nude, hand-cuffed to a bed, with a pillow covering his privates. The girl also wears a robe thing that shows some cleavage, but it's not that noticeable. It has stuff you're supposed to think is witchcraft, but someone has it all planned out. It is pretty violent in parts, because Sherlock Holmes uses guns, kicking, and punching to get out of things. Me and my 6 year old brother absolutely LOVED this movie, and he didn't mind the violence at all. But my whole family are avid Call of Duty players, so we're used to it. This movie is AWESOME!!!!!