All member reviews for Sherlock Holmes

Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBlackShadow February 14, 2010

Perfect for everyone!

Being a life-long Sherlock Holmes nut, I went to see this film with high expectations. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. I was reading the reviews posted previously, and I must admit I'm rather suprised at the number of people saying it's too violent or scary. I didn't think there was anything too scary in it, I even brought my 8 year old sister to it and she isn't scarred for life. Even if some scenes are a bit scary, the humour of it balances it out. I found this film a lot funnier than many comedies I've seen! Most of the jokes are perfectly appropiate, and although there are a few with double meanings, they'd usually sail right over the young 'uns heads. What I loved most about this film, however, is the friendship between Holmes and Watson. If anything, that makes the film worth seeing. The only itty bitty problem is that, although not directly shown in the film, is that Holmes is meant to be a drug addict. He doesn't take drugs in the film, though, the worst he drinks is something that Watson points out is "meant for eye surgery." I'd reccommend this film to anyone!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydecemberbaby December 28, 2009

Amazing Movie

I loved this movie! Robert Downey Jr. is just amazing!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMarcomMom December 18, 2009

For adults, this is a very engrossing movie, with Guy Ritchie's famously edgy directing style. It's not your grandmother's stodgy Sherlock Holmes story--it's very fast, full of action and interesting visual effects, and it's very dark. There's little sexual content, but the one visual you DO get is not over fast and is going to be hard to explain to kids. Lots of slow-motion takes of how Holmes fights his way out of sleuthing situations or his cage-fighting hobby (Yes! Really!), with blood and sounds of bones crunching. Again, for an adult, this is a very engaging story with a satisfying ending, but it is violent and dark.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byadayal@bex.net May 2, 2010

Great family movie

Loved this movie. My 11-year old and 13-year-old didn't move -- except to fall over laughing at some of the funny dialogue. Great action sequences -- and a good mystery.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan September 20, 2014

Sherlock Holmes movie review

Guy Richie directed "Sherlock Holmes" brilliantly. The plot was so suspenseful and very interesting. The tone of the movie was amazing. It felt like we were actually with Sherlock Holmes. I loved how it showed Sherlock's methods of solving the mystery. It was very smart. The characters were very good and so was the acting. Although there are many positives to the movie, there are some negatives. To start, the plot drags a little bit when it was at a high point. Also, some scenes are rushed. Other than that, this movie is really good and if you like suspense movies, this one is very good for you.
Written byAnonymous July 12, 2010

Very well-crafted

This movie is brilliant. It uses an unusual use of speed-up and slow-down techniques to describe fighting techniques, which may isturb some parents, but it is beautiful! Also, the ending explains all of what had happened with great Holmes-style ease and never fails to keep it's complicated situations under control throughout. The plot centers around a satanic congregation, and contains some very frightening images. This movie is very realistic, very dark, and darkly humorous as well. A great action/mystery. 4 STARS.
Adult Written bydarthsitkur October 14, 2012

an awesome and hilarious movie

Sherlock Holmes is a great action comedy, nonstop action and very big laughs, guy ritchie is one of my favorite directors
Parent Written byspacermom January 4, 2010

Great Fun!

I took my whole family to see this over New Year's and everyone (10-46) loved it. It did have some violence, but nothing different from tv. As far as the dead bodies are concerned, if your child watches 'Bones' or 'CSI', this is no different. I feel this version is closer to the books, which is great. It really stressed the relationship between Holmes and Watson. There is great chemistry between Jude Law and Robert Downey, Jr. This movie has the same romping fun as the 'Pirate's' movies. The actors seem to be having quite a bit of fun. There is a lead in for a sequel.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 14 year old Written bywhartonnumber1 December 29, 2009

I don't see younger kids enjoying...only older teens.

Just got back from the movie and I'm glad I didn't take my children....my 12 year old wanted to go. It wasn't so much the violence of it that bothered me, but more of the dark tone of all the black magic stuff. Just kind of a dark movie that left me very glad I didn't live during that time period. I rated it 15 & older just because it was kind of hard to follow. It seemed to drag on a bit and I think it would be boring for those younger than that (other than all the violence, of course.) I'm definitely more of an action or romantic comedy type and this movie wasn't my cup of tea. The previews at the beginning were really bad..everything was either a horror or some kind of a sci-fi strange thing. They weren't kid friendly for anyone under 17!
Teen, 15 years old Written byVivian_L December 26, 2009

Wonderful--

I saw this movie today with my family and I LOVED it. The characters, the story, the action, ect. It was a little violent, but my 11-year old sister was fine with it, and she understood everything pretty well. Also--I did read a few of the original stories, and I think this movie was a good addition. I recommend it to pretty much everyone 10+. (as long as they're not easily scared/disgusted)
Kid, 10 years old August 12, 2015

Sherlock holmes 1

Its a good movie but there is a lot of punching
Adult Written bymiam1 May 18, 2015

its a nice film for 11 years + but not for kids younger
Adult Written byinspiringmovies December 10, 2014

Sherlock gets re-imaged for the MTV generation.

now, come the finale of Guy Ritchie's "update" of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's much loved super sleuth I was not only bored to almost impending sleep, but also struck with one overriding question; why not just make a Victorian piece about a couple of swanky buddy sleuths and leave out the name Sherlock Holmes? The answer of course is obvious, to me at least, it's a name that sells. Mr Ritchie would most likely tell us that he wanted to bring the great detective to the attention of a whole new generation, whilst simultaneously making it appealing to the "youth" of today. Not elementary my dear Mr Ritchie, it's a cash in if you please. A cash in further aided by the casting of the talented and in vogue Robert Downey Jr as Holmes. Whilst casting Jude Law as Watson {so effectively a secondary role that suits Law perfectly} also carries some aesthetic weight for a younger audience. The film does pretty much what one expects of a family blockbuster, in short, simple frothy fun that's sadly devoid of any mystery or intelligence befitting the once Deerstalker attired one. There's action and explosions, even good old fist fights given the Ritchie slow-mo make over, but these are either preceded or followed by long bouts of tedium. Not helped by an unadventurous & dull plot involving Mark Strong's {value for money performance} black magic shenanigans as Lord Blackwood, and the pointless inclusion of the anonymous Rachel McAdams as Holmes' ex love interest Irene Adler. All of which comes together for a rather uninspiring show down on a half built Tower Bridge. The set design is smart and on the money (Sarah Greenwood), as are the costumes (Jenny Beavan), but the same can't be said for the sound mix, which is quite frankly skewy and renders some of Downey Jr's brainy ramblings inaudible. Same for the score, Hans Zimmer goes for bombastic, which would have worked if it wasn't in conjunction with diddly day-diddly doo Celtic music. I mean this is Victorian England right? You could have set the film somewhere Celtic Mr Ritchie-since you have changed most of the essence of the character anyway. Hmm. The sequel is inevitable given that the film has made monster amounts of cash, and no doubt about it, Law & Downey Jr have great chemistry. But this is comic book Sherlock, an attempt at an action comedy mixing brains with brawn. The end result being almost a cure for insomnia. 4/10 http://www.inspiring-movies.com/sherlock-holmes-2009-full-hd-1080-720
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 December 5, 2014

Funny, witty, epic start to what I hope will be a trilogy, just with some violence.

Teen, 14 years old Written byIrdray2019 October 8, 2014

Better for mature kids

I found it very fun and exciting, but it has a hard to grasp concept and content for young kids. I recommend tweens and up.
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2014

This is a pretty good movie, with some sexual scenes and some violence. However, I think kids aged 12 and up can handle it, as the images are brief and does not show you much.
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2014

The Game is Afoot

Its violent, but that's about it. Its fine for kids 11 and up. I saw it when I was 10.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Profound detective flick may often be violent and dark, however it's entertaining, elementary fun. Unquestionably deserves PG-13 rating.

In "Sherlock Holmes" there is frequent violence, including gunplay, bloody fistfights (some in slow-motion, detailing each painful blow in wince-inducing fashion), and a few big explosions. Guns, knives, a rudimentary Taser, and poison are used in various face-offs; corpses are displayed (in the dirt with maggots visible, singed to a crisp after being engulfed in flames, and dead after drowning in the bath tub). Men are shown hanging from a noose, a woman nearly stabs herself. Animal carcasses are shown, hanging and sawed in half, a frog is shown mid-disection, and dead rats are seen. The bloodthirsty British Lord Blackwood has a penchant for dark, occult rituals. Sherlock is briefly shown naked and handcuffed to a bed, with only a strategically placed pillow covering his genitalia. He tells the chamber maid that the key to free himself is under the pillow. A woman undresses, her naked back is glimpsed. There is some flirty banter between former lovers, and a few quick kisses exchanged between them. Light on cursing; two misuse's of God's name and one "d--n." Holme's sometimes drinks to excess (and he isn't always picky about what he drinks to beth there); characters drink wine at a restaurant, Holme's smokes a pipe. The flick presents an earthier, brawnier, and glossier version of the literary/cinematic detective that most of us are used too... which is exactly why tweens will love it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaflingerHorseHugger September 13, 2013

great movie

I first watched it when I was 13 there were a couple of bits that made me jump but I think it is okay for years 13 and up it is a great movie I hoped this helps
Teen, 16 years old Written byOfficial Critic August 14, 2013

Sherlock Holmes Review

There's a mystery at the heart of Sherlock Holmes, and it's not the one the great master of detection has been called on to solve. It's how a film that has so many good things going for it has turned out to be solid but not spectacular.