All member reviews for Short Circuit

Funny, bullet-proof robot might charm older kids.

Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byAshwin.K. May 30, 2010

Too much bad language for our taste; otherwise great movie.

The movie itself is very good, but has a lot of foul language like "sh*t" and "a**hole". Quite unnecessary for such a wonderful story. Without this it would be quite the classic. Someone should make an edited version of it.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bykboulia November 26, 2010

This movie has very inappropriate language throughout the entire movie. If it were one or two times, I would overlook it, but the variety of curse words combined with the frequency make this movie inappropriate for children under 12, and even then I'm not sure I want my 12 year old hearing some of this language.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2011

Good for Tweens

It's a good sleep-over movie for tweens. They know that the language is wrong and can be ok with the other stuff. Yeah, language is bad, but it would be ok for tweens.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bytrnlvr January 22, 2009

Not the movie I remember!

My almost-5-year-old LOVED Wall*E so when I came across a Short Circuit DVD, I just knew he'd get a kick out of that. Being rated PG, I figured it was safe so let him watch it without me in the room. I'd obviously forgotten about all the language because when I heard the "mild" profanity, it shocked me. All I remembered was how funny the robot was & how engaging. Fortunately, my son doesn't know the words they used were bad words - he doesn't hear those in our home - so it went over his head but I'm not going to give him the chance to learn them. I gave the DVD away. Sad, too, because it's such a cute movie otherwise.
Parent of a 3, 7, and 8 year old Written bydawnmbowers January 15, 2011

Not good for kids (and the acting is poor anyway)

I guess I forgot how much swearing and sexual references were in this movie, not to mention that the acting (especially by Ally Sheedy) is just poor. There is a lot of swearing and even an actor saying he is "sporting a woody." Too bad as the story plot is kind of cute but I would say this movie is really not appropriate for kids at all.
Kid, 12 years old March 17, 2011

the only cuss words in this is p-ss,s--t,h-ll,d--n,b---h,b-----d,dips--t,bulls--t,holy s--t a-s and a--hole
Adult Written bymcarthey April 9, 2008

Not as good as I remember

I had purchased this movie in a used store because I remembered liking it as a child. My children (6 and 9) wanted to see it due to their fascination with robots. I turned it off shortly after realizing the amount of language in it was appalling. There is also an early scene where Ally Sheedy is being abused by her (apparent) boyfriend (pushed and yelled at). There is no real family values in the movie and there are many better choices for a peaceful evening.
Adult Written byDLJones3423 April 9, 2008

Still as funny now as it was

My husband and I laughed hysterically while watching this older movie with our kids. My only objection to having our 5 and 6 year old sons watching it was the swearing. We had to have a discussion about why we don't talk like that. And the opening scene was a little scary. But they loved the rest of the movie and begged to watch it again. The little sexual innuendos went right over their heads, as we had expected. Our tween daughter was indifferent to the movie at first, but she enjoyed it eventually.
Kid, 7 years old April 22, 2011

A good movie for 8 year olds

I saw this movie when I was 5 overal I had no idea it had bad language sex consumerism and drinking drugs and smoking I just knew it was sort of violent
Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2010

Where did the acting go?

What can one say about this? A. It has a huge stereotype with an Indian man who is not even played by an Indian man: B. Would you take it well if a robot showed up in your home? C. He is alive? Really? Any more cliches? D. Who ripped off who? Did this rip WallE or did WallE rip this? E. all of the above: The answer is E! A cute movie for younger kids, but not the best for a movie lover.
Parent of a 9, 10, 12, and 18 year old Written bymamalisa03 February 5, 2011

Way too much absolutely unnecessary swearing

Way too much swearing, every three minutes there is a new swear word used. every swear word is used in this movie, including the "f" word disguised by a robot flipping his finger. I was embarrassed to watch this with our 9, 10, and 12 year olds.
Parent Written bykareybob April 1, 2013

I'd skip this movie based on the language

my only issue was the language. words like G D-it, and all versions of 4-letter words that start with S and D, as well as all kinds of inappropriate ways to call someone a jerk, were sprinkled through the movie about every 5 minutes. I was told it was a cute show for my kids- age 12 and 9. My 9-year old didn't even realize those words were bad words, so we didn't say anything, but my 12 year old noticed and just kept quiet about it for her sister's sake. Since the movie wasn't that spectacular, I would suggest skipping it and watching ET or Never Ending Story or something like that.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byMattmchugh March 26, 2012

OK for Tweens if you don't mind some profanity

This is only a so-so film, but kids will find the robot (one of the most realistic in movie history, by the way) a lot of fun to watch. As many reviewers have mentioned, there is frequent moderate profanity (part of the shtick is hearing the robot swear on occasion) that seems unnecessary -- but, if that doesn't bother you too much, this is an OK movie for older pre-teens. There's a running gag with an Indian character mangling English expressions, and one very quick drug joke, that might make some cringe, but it's pretty innocuous stuff.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag September 21, 2012

Unoriginal robot comedy/drama has some language, violent content.

"Short Circuit" is a comedy/drama about a robot coming to life. Unlike the movie "Wall-E" which has a similar topic, this movie lacks athmosphere and originality. It may will appeal to younger kids, as it contains some funny moments and a Disney kind of overall tone. Some of the jokes are entertaining - especially involving Ben Jabituya, a character having a ridiculously strong accent. However, the movie is not any refreshing, intelligent or original. Towards the beginning, the movie is close to the unintentionally funny, but it changes throughout the movie. Still, you can't take a plot like this too seriously. The ending is propably one of the most predictable in movie history. Entertaining if you want to watch a movie after a long, hard day of work without thinking too much, but it is not very good at all. (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie has some frequent language, it is not too strong. The worst is 1 use of "son of a b***h". In one intense scene, it appears that Number 5 blows up, but it turns out to be fake. A grasshopper is accidentally crushed by Number 5. It is not graphic, but it is explicitly saud it died. There is frequent shooting. (END OF SPOILERS) Kids around 8 should handle the movie.
Kid, 10 years old August 17, 2012

Violence vs. Positive Message: You Decide!

It should not be watched by kids 6 years of age or younger due to excessive drinking, drug usage, violence, cursing/cussing, and sexual content, but other than those, it is ideal for "Family Movie Nights"!
Kid, 10 years old May 3, 2014

short circuit

this movie is really funny but there is some cussing
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2014

Simplistic yet contains four (or even seven) letter-words (bad words).

Frequent cursing: "h-ll" "d-mmit," "G-- d-mn," "p---ed off," "J----," "fart," "red-a--," "son-of-a-b----," "bulls--t," "b-st-rd," "dips--t," "holy s--t," "a--hole." CSM are exactly right, however, the word "cr*p" is also used, and "s--t" (a comic moment where a scientist exclaims "Holy sh-t!" and the robot says "No sh-t. Where see sh-t?" There's some sexual innuendo (Ally Sheedy caught in bathroom by robot) and he exclaims "change colour? Nice software." And, of course, Three Stooges mayhem. Common Sense Media seriously underestimate the violence. There is some shoving down to the floor, hitting with a baseball bat, and some fist-fighting. Yes, the robot's shot at, and an electric accident also blows two people back. The East-Indian Scientist calls females "chicks" and at one point ends up saying "Let's pick up some chicks!" His accent is also relied on for humour. Highlights include sweet moments between robot and girl. Ally Sheedy wasn't too bad; now Tim Blaney, there's another performance that rivals his one as Frank the Pug in Men in Black II. Violence also includes a table thrown onto a man and a man thrown through a window by a robot. A few fistfights. The story at heart is good: robot meets girl, this time, and it's only after he "short-circuits" and creates that electric accident I was talking about. Very simplistic, though, with cliché role models. Overall, it's quite good. Some drinking, no to minimal nudity, and some sexual innuendo, not even that, makes this a winner. Also, No. 5.'s quite sweet. See "Flight of the Navigator" review. That's also quite good. Thankyou for reading.
Kid, 10 years old July 31, 2013

Input!

A funny and exciting robot movie with some violence and swearing. Fun for the whole family and the toaster. It also has good special effects considering it was made in 1986.