All member reviews for Shutter Island

Twisty, disturbing Scorsese thriller too intense for most.

Teen, 13 years old Written bynickycetkovic July 23, 2011

Professional help! lol

Hello, I thing that this movie isn't scary for kids at all (believe me,I'm scared all the time lol).The kids should watch It,because It's exiting,and they really need to thing about the end. Bye!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBrandon4News June 11, 2010

Awesome Mind-Bending Adventure

This is not a Scorsese classic or close. This is still my second favorite film of 2010 so far behind Kick-Ass. While there is some strong violence and language along with some disturbing content and shadowed nudity, this is a mature psychological thriller with riveting tension and an excellent finish with a poignant message about man's endless desire to be thought of as "the good guy".
Teen, 13 years old Written bychallenger February 15, 2010

Perfect for the older teens, 15-16+ og age. Very iffy.

It's a violent and disturbing movie, but containes good role models and shows you that it's worth fighting for your life.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymelbob November 24, 2014

IT'S THE ONLY CHANCE THEY'LL GET!

I DID NOT SAY NOT FOR KIDS I THINK MY COMPUTER'S HAVING A MOMENT. Since most of Martin Scorsese's other films are rated as 18, many parents would never show them to their children even though arguably they are suitable. This film is rated 15 and although the trailer makes it seem very disturbing, to be honest it really isn't. I was 13 when I watched this film and it was probably the first Martin Scorsese film I ever saw. In my opinion, kids are less rounded as people if they have not seen one Martin Scorsese film and this film is the perfect opportunity to do so. The book is also very good. There is nothing scarring about this film and I'm very surprised that it's only rated 3 stars on this website. REPEAT I WOULD SAY 12 AND UP!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAfroman2000@awesome November 2, 2014

Shutter Island

This movie is a really good movie but can be intense for some young kids
Teen, 13 years old Written byiwouldtrustme13 August 27, 2014

iwouldtrustme1

look yes i'm 13 but you should agree with me on most of my review... shutter island is a very well done movie yes it is dark and it has its moments of violence but i think a MATURE 14 year old could handle this movie 15 is probley a well rounded age too watch this movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBunnyNostrils April 7, 2014

Great Movie!!!!!

Violence: 6/10 Language: 6/10 Sex: 4/10 Disturbing: 5/10
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 March 6, 2014

Twisty, with an old fashioned noir feel to it!

Only good results can happen when Leo and Marty make a picture, and this formula is solidified with "Shutter Island;" the name alone makes you think of a Bogart-esque 40's film, right? The scenery and lighting are impeccable, along with that score, that incredible orchestra score that haunts the film, placing the viewer right in the middle of this mental asylum and forcing them to peek around the corner like Leo and Mark Ruffalo do. The plot twist was interesting, and wrapped things up nicely, but the real gift here is seeing vets like Max von Sydow and Jackie Earl Haley and seeing them get into some seriously juicy character roles. Leo is great too, bringing his usual emotional intensity to a role that demands QUITE a lot of it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byYankeesfan33 December 8, 2013

Really disturbing; no kids under 15

Parents should know that, in terms of violence, Shutter Island is not too dissimilar from other Scorcese thrillers: there are gruesome failed suicide attempts, children who are brutally drowned, and scenes of a mass killing at a Nazi concentration camp. That being said, Shutter Island is a very well-made psychological thriller with scenes that will make your heart skip a beat, as well as a very creepy atmosphere to the film. As for language and sex, there are a handful of f-bombs and a brief shot of mentally-ill patients who are naked (only their backsides are shown). Overall, a great Scorcese thriller that would be too much for kids under 15.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 21, 2013

Brilliant psychological thriller with horror elements and very disturbing themes.

This is a very dark and thought provoking psychological thriller with some degree of horror elements that surround it. The acting was great, really gave the movie a realistic, emotional edge - relating to the atmosphere and the disturbing tension this film contains throughout. DiCaprio brings everything he's got to the table when he acts, and he definitely did in this one. Shutter Island is about Teddy Daniels, a man accompanied with his officer to go and investigate a psychiatric ward and other asylums on an island, where he begins to experience episodes and sudden flashbacks of his estranged wife. Let me say that the plot and story takes a major twist and turn halfway through the film which was definitely shocking, which changes your point of view completely. Shutter Island is not for the faint-hearted; it contains highly disturbing and creepy imagery, especially by Teddy Daniel's realistic and unrelenting nightmares - one shows a woman covered in blood, a graphic shooting at a WW!! camp, frozen corpses, drowned children, and his wife turning into ashes. The asylum patients behavior and appearance can be quite disturbing, including the interviews where some discuss their horrific crimes in detail. The language isn't pervasive, but strong and crude (uses of f**k, godd**n, sh*t, c**k). There's some drug use - some characters smoke and use pipes, the usage of psychiatric drugs and sedatives, and some discussions about alcohol abuse. Nevertheless, Shutter Island is truly a thought-provoking and compelling thriller with masterful acting and with a plot full of shocking twists and surprises. Mature older teens should be ok with this film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKennedy_Tucker1 August 13, 2013

Very suspensful and thrilling!

I personally love this film! It is one of my favorite Leonardo Dicaprio films. There was some language in the film and a lot of smoking that I remember. There is a scene of men in a prison cell that are nude but the scene is quick and any nudity could go unseen. This movie is a thinking movie and is by best far an amazing film. Very thrilling and suspenseful. I would say 14 & up maybe even 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJimmy Jimmy June 25, 2013

Intense, good for 13 year old.

This is a mind bender, and their is a big twist at the end. I recommend it for 13 year olds. It's very intense, it gets boring, so I would not recommend it, to 11 year olds and younger. This is an intense movie and will keep you attention if you can manage to sit threw it all
Adult Written bywonder dove May 3, 2013

Truly exceptional!

The first time I watched this movie, it was quite confusing. I had to search movie reviews to better understand what the story was about. After knowing more, I ended up loving it! It's one of those brilliantly made psychological thrillers that makes you really think and you have to watch the movie very carefully, preferably twice to really understand and catch all the clues. It's eerie and dark in a mysterious atmosphere with creepy sound effects that really hit the spot and sets the mood. It's also sad too because you get to experience a little of what it's like in a mental institution and what one may be going through. If you're watching for the first time and didn't fully understand the story, look it up and read other people's interpretations, it helps so that when you watch it again it makes a lot more sense! Very enjoyable movie! Leo is (once again) amazing! Loved all the actors. Violence is pretty strong and has shootings, dead bodies including children, children who drowned, needles used as weapons, fires, scary images and dream flashbacks of frightening events. Sexual content just has some kissing of a married couple, nude prisoners (mainly shadowed) and we hear a couple "f" words and c*ck in a sexual way. Language is also strong with plenty of "f" words and other harsh words. Some drinking, lots of smoking and some prescription pills used. I think it's fine for 15+ viewers but it does make you think so it may be boring for teens! Adults will love.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 August 27, 2012

Disturbing suspense thriller

Full frontal male nudity and disturbing sequences are shown. There is lots of language, This movie is entertaining and extremely suspenseful. It is very good. Know your kid, but if they like creepy thriller type movies, this is for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 24, 2012

Shutter Island review

Truly an amazing and astounding movie. I especially like how the story is told through the only main character's eyes and it is very much his story.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJaysnake June 10, 2012

More thrilling than scary but really interesting

This movie wasen't scary as much as thrilling and mysterious. It had really disturbing images and lots of blood. They say pretty much every swear word you can think of, but infrequently. As for sex there is a brief photo of a topless woman and you see quickly naked male prisoners (it is dark and from a distance)
Parent Written bybabygirl92293 May 7, 2012

the movie

i watched part of this movie at my aunts house on the 4th of july like 2 years a go...it was ok until the failed suicide part where the guy tried to kill himself... and his head was half blown off but he was still alive... i couldnt watch it anymore after that because 4 months earlier my friend committed suicide by shooting himself... and i had a nightmare about that... i
Teen, 13 years old Written byjyoa117 April 12, 2012

Sometimes confusing but very good and interesting

This movie was really good and I especially liked it because it makes you think a lot. While there are a few disturbing scenes, and it does get kinda confusing sometimes this movie is not scary at all. It's an amazing and sad movie that I would say is fine for anyone over twelve to watch.
Adult Written byEzio6 March 19, 2012

A masterpiece

I think this may be one of the best movies ever made. Dicaprio is brilliant and the story is almost to good. A bit inappropriate for kids, because of violent flashbacks and the story could be a bit to confusing if you do not pay close attention during the movie. In my opinion, it is a masterpiece for everyone over 16
Teen, 16 years old Written byshanno15 November 18, 2011

Leo Dicaprio enough said

Great movie! Leo Dicaprio is of course amazing in his role as Teddy and the rest of the acting was phenomenal too. The action and suspense never miss a beat and it'll keep you on your edge of the seat the whole time. Perfection